• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

theists attack atheism because they are insecure

Kapalika

Premium Member
Lately I've seen a **** ton of posts attacking atheism, with screwy logic at best, but usually incoherent either way.

Now, I get why atheists attack religion. They see it as a threat, and sometimes they are right. But not always. But at least their reasoning has some basis in fact. Now when theists attack atheists... usually it's accusing them of being liars, or saying that somehow it "doesn't make sense". I dunno, it seems if I had to place a bet, I'd probably side with atheism 4 out of 5 times.

I've seen a lot of the old classic arguments, a lot of them even I didn't dare touch when I was a theist myself. but nowdays it seems as if the fundamentalist christian rhetoric is now too mainstream. People accusing atheists of being atheists so they can sin, that they only are atheists because something bad happened to them or that somehow they are just in denial.

But it seems to me, that if your religion is so apparent (let's ignore that you were probably brought up to believe in it or at least it's the dominant spiritual force where you live) then it wouldn't have all these atheists around. Maybe, just maybe, them being so open about it, the fact that many left religion because they learned more about it, maybe that scares you. Because you realize deep down you've had doubts yourself, and are often just going through the motions. It seems that some types of theists are obsessed with the atheist. Their fixation on how wrong they are, is a reflection of their own projection. Kind of like how the strongest homophobic preachers were often caught with other men.

I dunno, just my two cents. It isn't particularly my fight, I'm not an atheist or theist, but still. You can't really disprove atheism, other than to prove theism. Theism can't be disproved because there is always another possible way for there to be a god, but that doesn't mean it's correct, and at a certain point it's not reasonable to believe anymore when enough versions of it's been disproven (as have many in the past). Where you draw that line is subjective, and there will always be some who are theists and atheists.

And I don't see anything wrong with that. What I do see wrong, is people attacking each other with strawmen.

DavidFirth

No, theists attack atheism because:

1. It blinds men to the truth and leads them to destruction. We care about you therefore we plead with you not to believe all of this atheistic jargon.

2. It is a cleverly devised lie.

Romans 1:20.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Lately I've seen a **** ton of posts attacking atheism, with screwy logic at best, but usually incoherent either way.

Now, I get why atheists attack religion. They see it as a threat, and sometimes they are right. But not always. But at least their reasoning has some basis in fact. Now when theists attack atheists... usually it's accusing them of being liars, or saying that somehow it "doesn't make sense". I dunno, it seems if I had to place a bet, I'd probably side with atheism 4 out of 5 times.

I've seen a lot of the old classic arguments, a lot of them even I didn't dare touch when I was a theist myself. but nowdays it seems as if the fundamentalist christian rhetoric is now too mainstream. People accusing atheists of being atheists so they can sin, that they only are atheists because something bad happened to them or that somehow they are just in denial.

But it seems to me, that if your religion is so apparent (let's ignore that you were probably brought up to believe in it or at least it's the dominant spiritual force where you live) then it wouldn't have all these atheists around. Maybe, just maybe, them being so open about it, the fact that many left religion because they learned more about it, maybe that scares you. Because you realize deep down you've had doubts yourself, and are often just going through the motions. It seems that some types of theists are obsessed with the atheist. Their fixation on how wrong they are, is a reflection of their own projection. Kind of like how the strongest homophobic preachers were often caught with other men.

I dunno, just my two cents. It isn't particularly my fight, I'm not an atheist or theist, but still. You can't really disprove atheism, other than to prove theism. Theism can't be disproved because there is always another possible way for there to be a god, but that doesn't mean it's correct, and at a certain point it's not reasonable to believe anymore when enough versions of it's been disproven (as have many in the past). Where you draw that line is subjective, and there will always be some who are theists and atheists.

And I don't see anything wrong with that. What I do see wrong, is people attacking each other with strawmen.

To me atheist attacking theism is like being in an illusionary world where they dont believe in a god but they still attack it as if it exists somehow. With theist attacking atheist I think they are threated and densive that their beliefs are questioned and confused as to why others do not believe "common sense" as they do. A lot of atheist Id say are anti-theists if going by forums online. In person, no one cares.

The only time Ive see theist attack atheist in person is when I went to a baptist church as a catholic and the whole sermon was an attack. Its a mindset. Not all theist feel that way, though.

DavidFirth

Well, no. You made a claim and I expect people who make such claims to be able to show their work.

I expect people who ask such questions to do their own research and arrive at their own decision.

Surely you have heard the Gospel preached. Shall I preach it to you again?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I expect people who ask such questions to do their own research and arrive at their own decision.
That's too bad. If you genuinely believe that evangelism is tool worth using, telling someone who asks follow up questions to get lost is an interesting strategy. Let me know how it goes for you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To me atheist attacking theism is like being in an illusionary world where they dont believe in a god but they still attack it as if it exists somehow.

Attacking God? They're not atheists. Attacking theism, or religion? Then they can be atheists. God doesn't exist (from an atheist point of view), whereas both theism and religion clearly do, and impact on the world quite directly sometimes.

DavidFirth

That's too bad. If you genuinely believe that evangelism is tool worth using, telling someone who asks follow up questions to get lost is an interesting strategy. Let me know how it goes for you.

No, I didn't tell you to get lost. That's pure assumption on your part.

I told you to do your own research. Isn't that what your scientists and professors tell/told you?

Quetzal

Premium Member
No, I didn't tell you to get lost. That's pure assumption on your part.

I told you to do your own research. Isn't that what your scientists and professors tell/told you?
I am asking follow up statements to your post. If you can't or are unable/unwilling to answer. Just say so.

DavidFirth

I am asking follow up statements to your post. If you can't or are unable/unwilling to answer. Just say so.

I did say so. I am unwilling to answer, obviously, or I would have.

Do your own research. Dig into all of the evidence available to you. If you still are not convinced either way, then dig more.

I'm not going to argue for pages pointlessly with you, if that's what you want. I don't get into that.

You will end up believing what you want to believe unless you truly seek the truth. If you truly seek the truth you will find it.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Your pride is all you've got. It is no wonder you caress it and massage it whenever possible.
Well, yeah. I mean, have you ever run a significant distance and forget to stretch? Same thing!