• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst American President ever

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Andrew Jackson was pretty bad. He was against paper money and caused banks to belly-up because of it- not to mention what he did with the Cherokee, Creek, and other Indian Nations of that same area (Martin Van Buren was actually president during the infamous "Trail of Tears, though).

tytlyf

Not Religious
I would say GWB for 2 unprecedented reasons.

1. America lost her grace and strength in the world during his 8
2. Second worst recession in history

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I can really only speak from personal experience and what I grew up with as my knowledge of history, especially the U.S. presidents, is very lackluster.

So speaking from a personal opinion and the affect on me personally as well as what I have seen around me I have to say George W. Bush is the worst.

I can honestly say that if it weren't for him and all the other crap that went on under him, I probably would not be nearly so biased against republicans and conservatives and would not hate the republican party nearly as much as I do currently.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Who, in your opinion, was the worst American president ever?

My pick is a tie between Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson.

Jackson for being the largest slave owner in the southwestern US at that time, and his genocidal policies towards Native Americans.

Johnson for his Jim Crow laws and his utter failure and divisiveness in Southern reconstruction.

Both of these men were also well known for using the Presidential office to openly defy the checks and balances of the three Branches of Government.

Other nominees on my list include Woodrow Wilson, Millard Fillmore, George W. Bush and John Adams.

I would say the bottom ten American presidents (in no particular order) were:

Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
Andrew Johnson
Andrew Jackson
Warren Harding
Herbert Hoover
Woodrow Wilson
Richard Nixon
Ronald Reagan
George W. Bush

Most of the rest were comparatively undistinguished, but not truly awful, IMO (although I could probably be persuaded on Van Buren, Buchanan, Taylor, Grant, Benjamin Harrison, and Ford).

My criteria are use of office either for personal profit or shady dealings, unconstitutional acts for which there is no good excuse, and/or personal bigotry or hateful acts.

Last edited:

Awoon

Every President is an extension of American thought and desire.

So America is the worst and best President.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's not forget The Iran-Contra scandal.
That was a minor thing compared to starting or waging wars, as did Bush & Obama.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120821/DA0PUG0O1.html
People too easily become comfortable with the carnage of war.
But ole Ronnie sure got the economy humming after the Jimmy Carter malaise.
And he avoided war.

Caution: Those of you who say Reagan was the worst prez are saying that Dubya & Nixon were better.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My vote goes to Andrew Jackson for his treatment of the Native Americans that was practically genocide.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That was a minor thing compared to starting or waging wars, as did Bush & Obama.
My Way News - Americans tune out Afghan war as fighting rages on
People too easily become comfortable with the carnage of war.
But ole Ronnie sure got the economy humming after the Jimmy Carter malaise.
And he avoided war.

Caution: Those of you who say Reagan was the worst prez are saying that Dubya & Nixon were better.
Oh I agree.

I don't think Reagan ranks anywhere near the bottom ten, I was just pointing out the shift in control of the Republican party that Reagan started by latching onto the religious right.

That Obama has continued the war, and participates in intercessory action in the middle east, is my biggest disappointment in him.