• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst American President ever

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Who, in your opinion, was the worst American president ever?

My pick is a tie between Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson.

Jackson for being the largest slave owner in the southwestern US at that time, and his genocidal policies towards Native Americans.

Johnson for his Jim Crow laws and his utter failure and divisiveness in Southern reconstruction.

Both of these men were also well known for using the Presidential office to openly defy the checks and balances of the three Branches of Government.

Other nominees on my list include Woodrow Wilson, Millard Fillmore, George W. Bush and John Adams.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Thomas Jefferson also had a pretty abysmal run as President. While he was a brilliant statesman and politician, he oversaw the unconstitutional Louisiana Purchase and used trade policies that crippled the US economy, owed hundreds of slaves, and instituted policies that led to the Trail of Tears and guided federal policy towards Native Americans for most of the next century.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Thomas Jefferson also had a pretty abysmal run as President. While he was a brilliant statesman and politician, he oversaw the unconstitutional Louisiana Purchase and used trade policies that crippled the US economy, owed hundreds of slaves, and instituted policies that led to the Trail of Tears and guided federal policy towards Native Americans for most of the next century.

Not to mention he used Adam's anti-sedition laws against the Federalists rather than abandoning them.

Amazing how some of our Founding Fathers made lousy Presidents.;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lyndon Johnson's Great Society was perhaps the most financially crippling program in history.
And then we have his expansion of the Viet Nam War.
Obama is hot on his heels as an economic crippler though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
GWB was my favorite President.
More so than Reagan?
I'm shocked!
This is how I look when I'm shocked.
whoswh72.jpg

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I have an easier question, were there any good American presidents? I would have to say one of the better ones, and this will get huge disagreements, was FDR. Clinton was ok, too. I don't like any of the early presidents, because most were for slavery and the destruction of the Native Americans. Most of the middle presidents did next to nothing, save Lincoln, and most of our later presidents have all been morons. I think, had he not been assassinated, Kennedy would have been a great president, but since at least Carter, we haven't had a decent president, save maybe Clinton. Reagan and both Bush's were lunatics, and Obama hasn't really done that much, not as much as I was hoping he would. But he's not liberal enough for me, anyway. I liked Jefferson, but again, he had his bad points as well as his good. He was a great philosopher, but that's about it. I don't think we're ever going to really have a really good president.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I have an easier question, were there any good American presidents? I would have to say one of the better ones, and this will get huge disagreements, was FDR. Clinton was ok, too. I don't like any of the early presidents, because most were for slavery and the destruction of the Native Americans. Most of the middle presidents did next to nothing, save Lincoln, and most of our later presidents have all been morons. I think, had he not been assassinated, Kennedy would have been a great president, but since at least Carter, we haven't had a decent president, save maybe Clinton. Reagan and both Bush's were lunatics, and Obama hasn't really done that much, not as much as I was hoping he would. But he's not liberal enough for me, anyway. I liked Jefferson, but again, he had his bad points as well as his good. He was a great philosopher, but that's about it. I don't think we're ever going to really have a really good president.
I'm a fan of Teddy for his National Parks initiative, but that's not to say he was perfect either.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
You could always make the case for William Harrison being the best. Or at least not being the worst.

With only 32 days in office before his death, he couldn't screw up too much.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I think it's easy for us to look back from our position of comfort, and place our judgement upon the men of the past. One can't idolize historical figures. You have to realize that they're human and products of their times. Yeah Thomas Jefferson held slaves, and Benjamin Franklin was a syphilis infested man-whore...but they achieved great things and were progressive in many ways in spite of their human failings.

Look at the Louisiana Purchase from Jefferson's point of view...he sends some people over to Europe to buy the port of New Orleans, and they later come back saying that Napolean sold them half the continent for the price he would have paid for the port. I also don't think you can place blame squarely on T.J. for the Indian Wars or the policy of Manifest Destiny...those are direct products of European colonial philosophy and medieval Christianity.

Nixon anyone?

I agree, if you're so awful as president that you're impeached and brought up on criminal charges...if the next guy in office has to give you a presidential pardon...you must have done something terribly wrong.

gnomon

Jackson, Wilson and Buchanan rank up there as some of the worst in my opinion.

But I would have to say Buchanan was the worst of those three.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Jackson, Wilson and Buchanan rank up there as some of the worst in my opinion.
But I would have to say Buchanan was the worst of those three.
I don't remember Pat Buchanan winning election.
He might not be half bad as prez.
Oh, you mean.....never mind.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Best presidents:
- George Washington
- Abraham Lincholn
- FDR
- Eisenhower
- Willy Clinton

Best men who were presidents:
- D. Eisenhower
- Jimmy Carter

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Best presidents:
- George Washington
- Abraham Lincholn
- FDR
- Eisenhower
- Willy Clinton

Best men who were presidents:
- D. Eisenhower
- Jimmy Carter
I like that. Jimmy Carter seems a fine human being who just wasn't great as prez.