• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "woke" thing

Vee

Premium Member
I'll probably look like I've been living under a rock, but can someone please be so kind to explain what is this "woke" thing I keep seeing everywhere? It seems like some sort of trend on social media (which I don' use much) and now that I've seen it a few times I'm curious. What does "woke" it mean in this context? I feel a bit like an idiot for asking the question, maybe it's something really obvious... :oops:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll probably look like I've been living under a rock, but can someone please be so kind to explain what is this "woke" thing I keep seeing everywhere? It seems like some sort of trend on social media (which I don' use much) and now that I've seen it a few times I'm curious. What does "woke" it mean in this context? I feel a bit like an idiot for asking the question, maybe it's something really obvious... :oops:

Oh poor sweet Vee. You have no idea the can of worms you've just opened. :tearsofjoy:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

To me, as a spiritual person, it means trying to channel my inner higher vibrations to let go of my fleshly self and as a result be less offensive to others. This does mean that I would have to consider humans by default to kind of have fleshly roots that are full of racism, etc. And living this new woke life also means adapting my language, if I did so.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
"Woke" is a slang term that can mean different things depending on who uses it. It's basic meaning is to be politically and socially aware, especially of the effects of things like racism and sexism in society. It has also become a term to mock the stereotypical millennial/Gen Z leftist who is offended by everything, similar to "snowflake."

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Woke is AAVE (formerly ebonics) for 'stay woke.' It purportedly originally arose when nine black men were falsely accused of raping a white woman in Scottsboro Alabama and were almost lynched for it. At the time it meant keep your eyes open for oppression in plain view not seen as such by common society, and to protect yourself.

Woke is generally used in a derisive way these days for preformative social justice. Where people usually tout superficially representational views to look good or shame others. And while that's absolutely something that happens, it's also been cooped by genuine racists, homophobes, transphobes etc who call every call for equality "being woke."

Vee

Premium Member
To me, as a spiritual person, it means trying to channel my inner higher vibrations to let go of my fleshly self and as a result be less offensive to others. This does mean that I would have to consider humans by default to kind of have fleshly roots that are full of racism, etc. And living this new woke life also means adapting my language, if I did so.

I already have the feeling that I'm walking on egg shells most of the time. I think I'm going to stay in my "cave" and ignore the world. It's getting too complicated.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I already have the feeling that I'm walking on egg shells most of the time. I think I'm going to stay in my "cave" and ignore the world. It's getting too complicated.

That'd probably be my advice too, except I wouldn't hide in a cave. Why not face the world while when you see something new, only paying much attention if drawn to it naturally? Because the world is full of foul things these days, like Urbandictionary, Doge, Sus, etc.

Vee

Premium Member
That'd probably be my advice too, except I wouldn't hide in a cave. Why not face the world while when you see something new, only paying much attention if drawn to it naturally? Because the world is full of foul things these days, like Urbandictionary, Doge, Sus, etc.

You're right, but sometimes I just want to hide in some place where not everything is offensive, and not everything has a second meaning and people aren't always looking for something to get upset about. It's exhausting!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
From Wikipedia:

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice.[4] It is sometimes used in the African-American Vernacular English expression stay woke. Woke resurfaced in 2014, during the Black Lives Matter movement, as a label for vigilance and activism concerning racial inequalities[5] and other social disparities such as discrimination against the LGBTQ+ community, women, immigrants and other marginalized populations.[6]

My opinion is that it is a word used by those who want to make the current racial situation in America seem much worse than it is in reality. And by fermenting anger and emotions and highlighting race they are almost self-propelling that view into reality.

I consider myself woke to those Woke types, lol.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
pssst, Vee, you misspelled "comical"

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
From Urban Dictionary:
"woke

The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue

"Yeah most people don't care about parking spaces for families with disabled pets. I wish they were woke like me.""

"Woke

Being "Woke" is what happens when instead of taking one blue pill, you down the entire bottle.

"I'm sure glad I attended that college seminar on crypto-genderism, now I'm really woke.""

It's just more pretentious SJW nonsense.

Reactions: Vee

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
From Urban Dictionary:
"woke

The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue

"Yeah most people don't care about parking spaces for families with disabled pets. I wish they were woke like me.""

"Woke

Being "Woke" is what happens when instead of taking one blue pill, you down the entire bottle.

"I'm sure glad I attended that college seminar on crypto-genderism, now I'm really woke.""

It's just more pretentious SJW nonsense.
Btw, @Saint Frankenstein , that wasn't a sarcastic smiley it was a "I like the way you put that" smiley. :D

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I thought I heard movement on the other side of the cave. Can I get you some tea, @Vee ? :)