• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wisdom/Moral/Sermon/Lesson Short Stories Thread.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
The moral is simply don't do bad things, or else horrible and terrible things will happen to you. Even throwing a tantrum turned really ugly for the imp Rumpelstiltskin, when he smashed his leg through a board on the floor, and twisted his leg so hard to free himself that he ripped himself in half (there is also a moral about not lying and making people out to be what they aren't). Grandmas and children were also sometimes eaten in these fairy tales, and big bad wolves chopped up, or one poor wolf whose stomach was cut open, the kids (goat children in this story) let out, the stomach filled with rocks and sown shut, which caused the wolf to fall in a river and drown.

:fearful:

Sweet Jesus!

:screamcat:

It's official, I'm gonna have insomnia now!

I can't get that Rumpleskin name out of my head!

Edit:
I like your avatar. That character looks cute :)

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Just remember, the same people who gave us these tales are the same people who gave us the vikings and the Nazis. And beer as a very serious art form.:p

That :)

Enough reason to respect them. Vikings are cool. Just the other day I was playing a game called Volgarr the Viking.

The moral behind it is that no one is perfect (I guess) :D

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Children playing, glass broke, mother comes and finds out which of her children broke the glass. She gets angry, picks a wooden stick and hits the child with it in his palms. Next morning she comes to wake the child up for school and finds his palms and their color changed giving the child so much pain. She takes him to a hospital, the doctor says he was hit by something sharp and rusty. Looks like the wooden stick had a rusty peace of metal that cause this. The doctor says both the child's fists must be cut or the infection could spread further. The mother was shocked. The doctor comes back to her and tells her she cannot wait or it might get worse. The mother has no choice but to agree on the surgery. It's done. The child wakes up after the surgery, looks at his hand and can't find them. The child starts crying and looks at his mother with regretful teary and sad eyes and tell her: "mama, I swear I'll never break any thing again, please give me back my hands".

:cry:

That last part of the story really hit me. We need to control our anger and never let it get the best of us. Anger makes us do things without thinking. That mother could have looked at the stick first if she had no other choice but to use it, shown it to the child as a warning, or maybe just scolded him. Anger sucks!

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Okay, here's a true story from my heritage:

This goes way back in the old days, and I mean more than 1,300 years ago, when people were still serious traditionalists.

A man had an issue with his wife causing her to verbally abuse him and yell at him. The man went to the ruler back at the day, a very well known person in my heritage, to seek advise and complain about it from him. As the man stood at the front of the door to knock, he heard the wife of the ruler yelling and verbally abusing him too, without him complaining about it. The man then retreated back.

The next day the ruler came to the man and told him that he was told he was standing at his door for a while. "Why?" he asked him. The man told him the story and commented that he couldn't dare to seek for his advise after finding out his own wife does the same to him.

The ruler told him the following:
"They wash our cloths, take care of our home, prepare our food, carry our children for nine months and give them delivery in the most painful way, and more, and you want us to complain about just words they say to us in a loud tone?"

Moral:
Men out there, respect and love your wives. Consider the feelings of those caring for you. Don't just put yourself in the equation. Don't be selfish.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
A fox wanted to cross a river but thought it was too deep to do so. There was a giraffe around so the fox asked the giraffe: "any idea how deep the river is?" The giraffe replied: "oh, it is just a knee deep!".

The fox went to cross the river with confident. As it took some steps across the river, it became too deep that the fox almost drowned and fought its way desperately to reach safe shallow part of the river to safe its life. The fox then looked at the giraffe and told it: " why you ^^#%@ @#%$$% **@$#, you told me its just a knee deep and I almost drowned". The giraffe then replied back: "ooh, my knees are much higher than yours, sorry".

Moral: don't take judgements and views from others for granted. Even if they are honest and sincere, they could just give you theirs according to the experience you have been through or according to their understanding and mentalities.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some evil wicked sisters once lied about who they are, they tried to take what is not theirs, they were so vein they cut off a toe to try and get their foot to fit in a glass slipper, and, because the old German tales love a good punishment, their eyes were pecked out by doves.
The moral? Don't do those things the sisters did (they also tormented their other sister, Cinderella).
Have a shared the story about the boys who played butcher and cook?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
A general manager was once checking on the workers in the factory he's in charge of, and saw one of the men standing there leaning on the wall doing nothing but playing with his smart phone and laughing.

The GM approached the man and asked him: "what's your monthly salary?". The man looked at him wandering and replied: "1,500 Dollars". The GM gave him that amount and told him to get out of there and never come back, "you're fired".

The GM looked at the others after the man was way gone and told them in a harsh tone: "that's what you get if you slack in your work. One must urn what they get".

One of the workers then came to the GM and told him: "Sir, I don't understand, that was a pizza boy who just delivered the pizza you ordered!"

Moral:
Anger only makes one a stupid idiot. This story is for haters and sore losers who bash other beliefs :p

Kirran

Premium Member
From memory, let's see if I get it right:

So Arjuna, the Pandava prince from the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita, had a brother called Yudhistira, and a cousin called Karna, both of whom were known for their generosity.

One evening Arjuna asked Krishna why he was always praising Karna for his generosity, but not Arjuna's brother Yudhistira, who was also generous.

Krisha told Arjuna: "Well yes, your brother Yudhistira is generous, but Karna, well, he is very generous."

Arjuna was convinced that his brother was just as generous as Karna, and so Krishna decided to demonstrate.

They went first to Yudhistira's palace. Krishna and Arjuna came to the door, and Krishna said to Yudhistira that he needed three tons of absolutely dry sandalwood. Yudhistira looked outside, and saw that it was dark, and raining. But here was Krishna, needing sandalwood.

"Of course, Krishna," said Yudhistira, "I have sandalwood out in the shed. It is raining now, but I will have it brought out when the rain has stopped, and give it to you in the morning."

Krishna thanked Yudhistira, and they went on their way. Arjuna was very confident that he had shown that his brother was just as generous as Karna.

They arrived at Karna's palace, and Krishna again asked for three tons of completely dry sandalwood. Karna looked outside, and saw it was dark, and raining, so he wouldn't be able to bring the sandalwood in from his shed, while keeping it dry. But here was Krishna, needing sandalwood.

"Of course, Krishna," said Karna. He went back into his palace, and took an axe. He then gathered all his furniture together, and broke it up into dry sandalwood, to give to Krishna immediately.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Death visits a young man to claim his life...

Young man: But it is too early for me to die!
Death: Sorry, your name is on the top of the list.

Young man: I understand. Please allow me to prepare something to eat for you to honor your visit.
Death: Thank you. I accept.

The young man prepares a nice meal to Death and gives it to him. Little that Death knows, the young man put sleeping drug in the food. As death falls to sleep, the young man deletes his name on the list Death has and puts it in the end of the list. Death then wakes up...

Death: Young man, you were kind with me even though I'm hear to take you life. To return the favor, I will start from the bottom of the list so your name comes last.

Simply put guys, it is fate.

Moral of story: Just delete your name. No need to write it again any place else even if it the last... okay, really now, the moral is to accept what already happens and try to cope with it. There is no use regretting it. It is okay to get emotional as it is the human nature, but try win over it and never regret or punish yourself over it.

David1967

Premium Member
[QUOTE"Smart_Guy, post: 4107964, member: 51022"]Dude, are you trying to give me nightmares?

... so um, what are the morals? I'm confused!

Don't kill your children? Don't sleep?

:p[/QUOTE]
There Is a reason they are called "Grimm" fairy tales. And these were for children!

David1967

Premium Member
[QUOTE"Revoltingest, post: 4520608, member: 22490"]Can Death die?
Watch & see.....
[/QUOTE]
"That Is not dead which can eternal lie, but with strange aeons even death may die." Even on Family guy. :)

David1967

Premium Member
:fearful:

Sweet Jesus!

:screamcat:

It's official, I'm gonna have insomnia now!

I can't get that Rumpleskin name out of my head!

Edit:
I like your avatar. That character looks cute :)
I remember having those stories read to me as a child. Its a wonder I grew up to be so normal with no phobias of any kind....oh wait:confused:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
An old woman gets into a store to fix her mobile phone...

Customer service: Ma'am, your phone is working just fine, it has no problem.
Old women: This can't be. I'm not receiving any calls from my children!!

Read that carefully. It is not a joke or an advert, but reality. Many parents around the world do get this treatment. Stay connected with your family specially your parents. Don't be useless and ungrateful to what they did to you when it really mattered.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
[QUOTEOwingS._Guy, post: 4523958, member: 51022"]An old woman gets into a store to fix her mobile phone...

Customer service: Ma'am, your phone is working just fine, it has no problem.
Old women: This can't be. I'm not receiving any calls from my children!!

Read that carefully. It is not a joke or an advert, but reality. Parents around the world get this treatment all the time. Stay connected with you family specially your parents. Don't be useless and ungrateful to what they did to you when it really mattered.[/QUOTE]
Great point SG. Something to think about since my children are practically grown. Hope they always keep in touch and visit when they can.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I have a few.
I recall a story my mum used to tell me as a child. (By the way, my mother is Hindu, so please do not think I am trying to misrepresent Muslim beliefs. Tis just a story.)
A young Muslim boy was observing Ramadam and decided to fast. He refused water, food and did so from dawn to dusk without so much as swallowing, such was his devotion. Unfortunately this made the boy weak and ill and he seemed near death. Even still he refused any food or water until dusk had come. His mother was very worried but even near death the boy praised Allah and His wisdom, mercy and glory. Allah saw the devotion of the young boy and was most pleased. He returned the boy to full strength and the family happily broke their fast with praise on their lips.

The moral being that Dharma (duty/responsibility) towards God is highly noble and should be highly respected, no matter the religion.

I remember this story from a TV serial I watched as a kid.
There once was a mighty King. This King was kindhearted, generous and highly respected for his devotion to God. Unfortunately the King was most arrogant.
One day, when the King was doing his morning prayers in the river, he accidentally scooped up a tiny fish. The fish said to the King, "oh most noble King, please do not hurt me. Please instead take me into your palace so that I may have a safe space to stay."
The King laughed and answered "You? A most tiny creature, want to live in my palace?"
The fish replied, "Oh noble King. As you well know it is your Dharma (duty/responsibility) to ensure safety to all creatures in you kingdom. From the biggest to the smallest."
The King laughed again. "You are right, tiny fish. Okay, I shall make a place for you in my palace."
The King ordered a small bowl full of water for his new tiny friend and carefully placed the fish into the bowl. He was about to go about his duties when the fish cried out.
"Oh noble King. This bowl is much too small for me, please find me a better one."
The King was most astonished to find that indeed the fish had grown too big for the bowl and he ordered a bucket of water immediately.
After he placed his fishy friend into the bucket, the King was taken aback. For the fish had grown far too big for the bucket.
The King ordered a small pool filled with water and placed his fish into his new home.
"Oh most noble King" cried the fish. "This is much too small for me now. Please find me a better home."
The King ordered his servants to place the fish into his Olympic sized swimming pool immediately.
However shortly after he heard a familiar cry.
"Oh most noble King. Please help. This place is much too small for me."
The King was most puzzled and giving up he ordered his servants to carry the large fish back to the river. After the fish had been placed back into the river the King fell to his knees.
"Oh fish," he lamented. "Surely you are a creature of divinity. Please forgive me for dismissing your once small stature."
The fish smiled and turned into his original form. That of the (I think 5th or 6th?) incarnation of Vishnu.
The King was most pleased to have seen an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, since the privilege was only reserved to the most deserving.

The moral I guess is to always remember to be humble.

Another one I remember.
There were once a group of young adults playing in the local river.
Narayan (sage of the Gods) wandered down to say Hi, I guess. Like you do.
The two females immediately recognized the sage and left the river to pay their respects. The two males, arrogant and ignorant, ignored the sage and continued in their frolicking. Narayan was most offended at this slight and proceeded to admonish them for their rudeness. Then he placed a curse upon them, turning them both into trees.
Many decades (centuries? I wasn't exactly sure how long the interval was, actually) went by and Krishna, who had been tied up to a barrel by his mother for misbehaving (just go with it) saw the trees and gave them a cheeky grin. He used the trees to tear off his rope and in doing so brought both down, releasing the spirits of the two men. The men, now contrite, thanked Krishna and went to..........The next cycle in their samsara? Achieved moksha (salvation.) Again, I was never clear what exactly happened to their souls. As the show was in "proper" Hindi and there were no subtitles. But whatever, they were free in any case. Yay.

Moral I guess is always be ****ing polite. And look out who you insult. You might **** off the wrong person.......er deity/sage.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Although my absolute favorite is this little comic book I used to have, recapping (very simply) the story of Ramayana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana

I do have a soft spot for the one with the "untouchable woman" and Krishna. (Again the TV serial.)

There was once an old woman selling fruit. Unfortunately no one was in the mood to buy any this particular day. Unfazed the woman continued long into the day. But her joints were soon sore and stiff. And the day was hot.
She rested a while at the Village Leader's house. Despondent and about to give up, out came a young Krishna. Krishna decided to buy all the old woman's fruit. But had no real concept of money. Since he was used to getting what he wanted through affectionate acts, Krishna told the woman that he would give her a hug in exchange for the fruit. Rejoicing at the child's innocence the old woman warned that she was an "untouchable." Krishna shrugged it off, saying his friends were all lower caste anyway and that he didn't see such barriers. He gave her a hug and the old woman felt at peace. Deciding that the deal was more than worth it the old woman began wrapping up all her fruits for the child.
Krishna then decided he would exchange the fruit for some rice and ran off to get some. However, when he returned all but three grains had been spilled. The old woman graciously accepted the "gift" placing them carefully into her basket and went home. Extremely happy with the trade. However once she returned home she found that the grains of rice had been transformed into precious stones and jewelry.

Moral. The caste is but a human invention, not one God recognizes. Which I never recognized as a kid, being in Australia, the concept was quite foreign to me. But I learnt that one should always be very grateful for everything one is given in life.