• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wisdom/Moral/Sermon/Lesson Short Stories Thread.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey guys, how are you all?

Introduction:

In my culture, we have many made up stories intended to educate people in how to live their lives meaningfully. I say made up just because I'm not sure about the source. Some could be real after all, who knows!

I'm starting this thread for such stories. Tell us about such stories from your culture (including religion and philosophy), stories you heard of from others, or even stories you come up with. Help in moving the world towards awareness. Try to make a difference.

Sometimes there are things we don't realize unless someone tells us about it. Sometimes when we are told about those things, we feel they are common sense and wonder why we couldn't realize it ourselves before. But the problem is that sometimes our ego/pride stand in the way to take it. Conveying it in a story instead of straight statements seems to loosen that up.

Having that said, I'll leave this post for the introduction only and post my first story in the next. Stay tuned :)

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
An old man was having a walk at the harbor when a cat fill into the water.

The cat then started to struggle with fear like crazy to get out of the water but couldn't find a way to get out.

The old man saw the cat struggling with fear of drowning, came close and extended his arm to help getting it out of the water, but the cat scratched and hurt the old man with its nails.

The man pulled away his hand with a gesture of pain, but didn't give up and extended the other one. The same thing happened.

The old man looked around for anything to use but couldn't find any thing, so he kept trying again and again with his hands, having them risked to scratches, until finally succeeded to help the cat out.

Someone was watching him and asked him: "Haven't you learned from the first time? Why did you keep trying and getting scratched?". The old man replied back to him: "It is in the nature of cats to scratch, specially if they are in fear, and it is my nature to be kind to others. I cannot allow the nature of others to take over my own nature and change who I am, specially if it is a mindless animal and I'm an intelligent human being. It is not like those scratches would kill me"

Moral: don't let some RF members change your good nature with their rants :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nice idea for a thread. One of the spiritual personages I admire is the Baal Shem Tov. Here's a story:

One day, Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov instructed several of his disciples to embark on a journey. The Baal Shem Tov did not tell them where to go, nor did they ask; they allowed divine providence to direct their wagon where it may, confident that the destination and purpose of their trip would be revealed in due time.

After traveling for several hours, they stopped at a wayside inn to eat and rest. Now the Baal Shem Tov’s disciples were pious Jews who insisted on the highest standards of kashrut; when they learned that their host planned to serve them meat in their meal, they asked to see the shochet1 of the house, interrogated him as to his knowledge and piety and examined his knife for any possible blemishes. Their discussion of the kashrut standard of the food continued throughout the meal, as they inquired after the source of every ingredient in each dish set before them.

As they spoke and ate, a voice emerged from behind the oven, where an old beggar was resting amidst his bundles. “Dear Jews,” it called out, “are you as careful with what comes out of your mouth as you are with what enters into it?”

The party of chassidim concluded their meal in silence, climbed onto their wagon and turned it back toward Mezhibuzh. They now understood the purpose for which their master had dispatched them on their journey that morning.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Thank you for the contribution Sunsihe123.

The following is based on part of the story of Prophet Joseph from the Islamic literature's point of view.

It is believed that Prophet Josef was extremely handsome, most honest, best natured and very well educated and knowledgeable, specially in interpreting visions. Due to some difficulty, he was imprisoned and there were two other inmates that don't compare with him in the least. Those two inmates got out of jail way much earlier than him. One of them became a servant and the other was murdered. Joseph spent years after their release although he had all those virtues but upon his release he became a high rank official in Egypt.

The moral behind this is to never have pride in yourself and complain in how you're not getting what you deserve, to never lose hope in life and keep confidence in you self. Some people complain too much and make their own lives miserable and some others even kill them selves. Please don't be one of those.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
An old man was having a walk at the harbor when a cat fill into the water.

The cat then started to struggle with fear like crazy to get out of the water but couldn't find a way to get out.

The old man saw the cat struggling with fear of drowning, came close and extended his arm to help getting it out of the water, but the cat scratched and hurt the old man with its nails.

The man pulled away his hand with a gesture of pain, but didn't give up and extended the other one. The same thing happened.

The old man looked around for anything to use but couldn't find any thing, so he kept trying again and again with his hands, having them risked to scratches, until finally succeeded to help the cat out.

Someone was watching him and asked him: "Haven't you learned from the first time? Why did you keep trying and getting scratched?". The old man replied back to him: "It is in the nature of cats to scratch, specially if they are in fear, and it is my nature to be kind to others. I cannot allow the nature of others to take over my own nature and change who I am, specially if it is a mindless animal and I'm an intelligent human being. It is not like those scratches would kill me"

Moral: don't let some RF members change your good nature with their rants :D

This is one of the most beautiful pedagogic stories I've ever read. well done.
Of course it is full of positive messages. I am a Christian, and my interpretation of the story is that love implies sacrifice. Love towards your neighbor (or any living being) is something powerful, unlimited, eternal.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
This is one of the most beautiful pedagogic stories I've ever read. well done.
Of course it is full of positive messages. I am a Christian, and my interpretation of the story is that love implies sacrifice. Love towards your neighbor (or any living being) is something powerful, unlimited, eternal.

Well thank you :)

Love is indeed part of it too. The old man cared about the cat even though it kept scratching him and in the end helped it out. These days most people don't practice love and kindness the way they should be. All it takes to some is to find a puny little issue and they change 180 degrees and completely forget about love and kindness.

I guess the above calls for another story then that happens to be from the Islamic Literature: In the early life on Prophet Muhammad, people didn't dare to attack him head on because his grandfather was a powerful man. He had a Jewish neighbor that used to throw garbage at his doorsteps to hurt him, but that did not stop Muhammad from visiting him once he knew he got seriously sick one day. The OP story also teaches to not return bad with bad.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I like to collect stories like this no matter their origin. They all tell the same message albeit in a different "style":
If you do any reading of the Quran, you find repeated innumerable times that God is the knower, the hearer, aware of all your actions. So how would someone act if they truly believed that? A story I read in the Autumn 2003, "Light Of Consciousness", reprinted from "The Monkeys and the Mango Tree" by Harish Johari illustrates the point:

Once there was a boy named Bachchu who lived in a village in northern India. He was a great devotee of Baba Santosh Dass, who lived in a very simple life in a hut outside of town. One day Bachchu went to Baba and told him that the village chief had found a job for him in a nearby village, and he would soon be leaving. The saint blessed the boy and wished him luck.

One year later some friends of Bachchu's came to Baba and said that Bachchu had fallen in with a bad group of boys in the nearby village and was now stealing for a living. The saint heard this with great surprise, for he knew Bachchu to be a good person at heart. He tanked the friends for this information, but said nothing else.

Shortly after that Bachchu returned home to visit his family. As was customary, he came to visit the saint.

"And how is your life in your new town, Bachchu?", the saint asked.

"Very good, Baba", the boy replied.

"Are you enjoying your new job?"

"I no longer have that job, Baba. I met a group of people who gave me a much better job that is not so boring."

"I am pleased to hear it. Since you are doing so well, I would like to visit your new home."

The boy looked startled, but he said, "I am honored, Baba."

"As you know, I can assume any form I choose. Since you have known me all your life, I still expect you to recognize me. Will you know me when I come?"

"I will know you, Baba, in whatever form you come."

Bachchu returned to his new town. His friends greeted him and said, "Hey Bachchu, come with us. We're going to lift some money from people at the village market."

"Sure", said Bachchu. When he got to the village market he saw a well-dressed stranger paying for home loaves of bread with a large pouch of money. Bachchu followed the stranger to several other stalls and saw where the stranger carried his pouch. He walked up timing it so that he could grab the pouch and run as soon as the stranger took it out, but suddenly he thought, "What if this is Baba? He would never forgive me for stealing," and he stayed back.

On their way back home Bachchu's friends asked him why he had not gotten any money and Bachchu replied that he had been about to make his move when a policeman had come by. When they turned the corner onto their street the gang saw an old man who had just fallen under the weight of the apples he was carrying back from market. Apples had spilled all over the street. Bachcu knew the gang was about to run and grab the apples, and he thought, "This, too, could be Baba. From the time I was a small boy he has taught me to help those in need," and before the rest of the gang knew what he was doing Bachchu came forward and helped the old man up, then collected all his apples and put them back in his sack.

The old man touched him warmly on the shoulder and said, "Thank you for your kindness, young man," and went on his way. Bachchu felt a change inside himself. The old man was not Baba, but he was still someone in need, and Bachchu remembered how good it felt to help others. From then on every face he saw, every bird and every tree, he knew might be Baba. He began to see the world in a very different way and to treat it with the reverence he had formerly reserved for his old teacher. His friends became suspicious of his actions, and gradually he stopped associating with them. He found a new job and became a valued member of the village.

A year later Bachchu's old friends again visited Baba. They thanked him and asked him what he had done to turn the boy around so quickly.

Baba said, "It was not me. He changed himself. I simply gave him a new perspective, and I am sure that if anyone sees God in every creature, their whole world will change. And if everyone practices this, the whole world WILL change."

BSM1

What? Me worry?
:
A six year old boy and his nine year old sister had taken to using foul language and cursing in their conversations. The mother was at her wit's end trying to stop this. She asked the father for advice.
"The next time one of them cusses, slap the daylight out of them," he said.
The next morning at breakfast the mother asked the little boy what he wanted for breakfast.
"I want some ******** cornflakes," he said.
The mother slapped him across the face causing him to fall out of his chair and roll against the refrigerator.
The mother turned to the little girl and asked the same question.
"I don't know," she said. "But you can bet your ***** **** it won't be cornflakes!"
The moral of the story is be careful what you ask for and how you do the asking.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many variations of this one:

An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at a friend who had done him an injustice, "Let me tell you a story.

I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do.

But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times." He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me. One is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him, and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way.
But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger,for his anger will change nothing.
Sometimes, it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."

Wirey

Fartist
One time I banged a girl so hard her freckles came off. The moral of the story is, I like nookie.

Brinne

I heard this story from a minister at the Toronto Konko Church and it has since stuck with me. It goes like this:

In Shinto there is something called the 'Kagami' which is a mirror. It's considered sacred by many and an important object in worship. The word Kagami is made up of three syllables. Ka, Ga, and Mi.

'Ga' is like one's ego, their selfish desires. When they look in the Kagami (mirror) they should remove their ego/selfishness (Ga) and what they have left int he mirror is Kami (God)! So the moral is, to become 'kami-like' one should remove their selfish desires and they'll be on a good path. Whether it's in worship, work, or play I think this lesson is very applicable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's an old story (slightly altered):

A man is sitting on his roof, praying as flood waters rise above the first floor.
Another man in a boat stops by & offers help.
The man sends him on his way, knowing that God will save him.
A 2nd man in a boat stops by to offer help, seeing that the water has reached the eaves.
The man again sends his would be rescuer on his way, knowing that God will come thru.
The waters rise, & the man drowns, but being a true believer, he arrives at the Pearly Gates.
The man asks God (a very tall fellow with a white flowing beard & really well manicured nails),
"Why didn't you save me?"
God says, "Lookie here, bub....I saw you turn down those 2 boats I sent. What's up with that, eh?".

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Okay guys, here is a story that made my eyes teary:

A kindergarten made a school trip for a class (kindergarten trip?!?!) to a shopping mall and told every child to buy a gift on the account of the school. All children bought stuff and when they got back to class, the teacher started asking them what stuff and why they bought them. One bought a perfume, other bought a toolkit, another got an umbrella.... until the she reached one that bought razors and some shaving stuff. All children laughed at that child and the teacher got angry and yelled at him for such stupid thing, as she described it. The child started crying non stop like all of the sadness of the world got on his shoulders. The teacher then felt guilty, eased the child then asked him why was that his choice. The child replied that his parents died at a young age and his older brother dropped out of school and worked to take care of him in their place sacrificing and neglecting himself for his sake that he doesn't afford money to buy shaving tools and shave/trim his messy facial hair. The teacher then kissed the kid on the head and apologized to him.

Moral:
Have you ever seen acts you really hated, belittled or made fun of without thinking about the circumstances behind it? We need to consider how people feel and what they might have been through. If someone cuts in line, stops their car so suddenly, moves slowly on front of you, gets late doing an errand you requested from them, gets absent from a work you mange, etc... don't jump to negative conclusions. either let them go or ask for an explanation. You do not know why they did what they did.

Love ya all.

Smart Guy, over and out.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Okay, here's a new one:

A poor family lived in the countryside; the wife makes home made butter and the husband takes it to the town to sell it to a store he always deals with or trade it for other stuff from the same store as well. The wife makes the butter in 1 kilogram chunks. One day the store keeper (erm, attendant or cashier or whatever it is called in English) doubted the weight of the butter and decided to confirm it. He weighted it and found out is was 900 grams only (100 grams to a kilo). "What the $#!&", the store guy thought. The next day the poor man came to the store to make the usual trade and was received by the angry store guy with all sorts of issues blabbering about how he discovered the scam saying to the poor man: "I trusted you all this time and cheated on me!". The poor man looked down and replied: "I'm really sorry sir, we are really poor and we don't have a scale to confirm the weight".... then continued: "but I bought 1 kilo of rice awhile back from you, from this very store, so I used it to equate the weight of the butter with it before I trade it with you ever day".

Moral:
Hmm... I dunno, borrow a scale from the neighbors and learn the metric system instead of the imperial?
No, seriously, try to watch how you deal/interact/transact/etc. with people. Sometimes we get angry at people and forget or don't pay attention of how we do thing towards/to them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My German side has the Grimm Fairy Tales. Bloody, violent, death, sexual, violent, death, bloody, violent, death, and bloody tales they are.
Wie Kinder Schlachtens miteinander gespielt haben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of my favorites:
One day, two brothers saw their father killing off a pig. They imitated what they saw and the older brother killed his younger brother. Their mother, who was giving the baby a bath, heard her child scream and abandoned the baby in the bath. When she saw what her eldest child had done, she took the knife out of her younger son's throat, and in her rage stabbed her older son in the heart. When the mother found out that meanwhile the baby had drowned in the tub, she felt an inconsolable desperation and committed suicide by hanging herself. After a long day of work in the field, the father came home. Finding out that his whole family was dead, he soon also died from sadness.

And don't go to sleep under an evil spell because Prince Charming will have his way with your unconscious body and impregnate you with twins. Don't trust strangers because they will eat you is another common theme. Doves plucking out the eyes of evil sisters is another punishment to be found in these tales. Witches are forced to dance until they are dead while wearing red-hot iron shoes.

The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is another good one, actually pretty funny at times, but abit long to post here.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Dude, are you trying to give me nightmares?

... so um, what are the morals? I'm confused!

Don't kill your children? Don't sleep?

:p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Here's a story. I am making this upwhile I am sitting here, so it probably won't be very good:

Once upon a time, there was a little man with a big heart. He was walking along and he saw a dog freezing while she was limping along. The dog had no tag, so the little man picked up the dog and took her to his home. He fed her and gave her water. He gave her a bath and brushed out her fur. The dog was so grateful that she licked his face. That night, a burglar tried to climb into the window. The dog, who was very big and scary looking barked at the intruder and chased the man away from the house. From that day forward, the little man and the great big dog lived in the same house. They were beholden to one another and shared a great friendship.
The End​

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Dude, are you trying to give me nightmares?

... so um, what are the morals? I'm confused!

Don't kill your children? Don't sleep?

:p
The moral is simply don't do bad things, or else horrible and terrible things will happen to you. Even throwing a tantrum turned really ugly for the imp Rumpelstiltskin, when he smashed his leg through a board on the floor, and twisted his leg so hard to free himself that he ripped himself in half (there is also a moral about not lying and making people out to be what they aren't). Grandmas and children were also sometimes eaten in these fairy tales, and big bad wolves chopped up, or one poor wolf whose stomach was cut open, the kids (goat children in this story) let out, the stomach filled with rocks and sown shut, which caused the wolf to fall in a river and drown.
Here's a story. I am making this upwhile I am sitting here, so it probably won't be very good:

Once upon a time, there was a little man with a big heart. He was walking along and he saw a dog freezing while she was limping along. The dog had no tag, so the little man picked up the dog and took her to his home. He fed her and gave her water. He gave her a bath and brushed out her fur. The dog was so grateful that she licked his face. That night, a burglar tried to climb into the window. The dog, who was very big and scary looking barked at the intruder and chased the man away from the house. From that day forward, the little man and the great big dog lived in the same house. They were beholden to one another and shared a great friendship.
The End​
I like that story. It speaks the truth when it comes the companionship and friendship between humans and dogs.