• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The virus is a big threat

Mark Dohle

masked_man_Fotor.jpg

The virus is a big threat

The reason I believe that the COVID-19 virus is not overblown is that in a matter of a few months we have had over 150,000 deaths. Also, perhaps we are at the beginning of second-wave, or the end of the first, I am not sure. Unless people stop fighting over the 'mask' issue I believe we will lose many more people.

In every country where they opened back up, there was a surge, a big one, the United States is a case in point. I do not believe that wearing a mask or not wear a mask is a problem of big government taking over. It is like wearing a seat belt when driving,

seat belts save lives. To drive without a seat belt is foolish, no matter what reason someone gives. for not using one.
So with the mask, and social distancing. It works, just do it. If those who are against wearing masks are right, it will come out in the near future, however, if they are wrong, the death toll will continue to climb, and the unmaskers may be the death of loved ones, which could have been avoided.

Not sure if I will survive this, with my age and all, but in the meantime, we need to work together, this fighting over 'everything' is really getting absurd to the 10th power.--Br.MD

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I basically see it the way you do but would add that COVID-19 is now being described more like a forest fire than a 'wave' since hot spots keep cropping up and the 'fire' keeps spreading.

Rational Agnostic

While I support wearing masks and do think it's best to wear masks in indoor public spaces (it certainly can't hurt and probably does help), I'm still a mask skeptic in the sense that I have not yet seen clear, definitive data that indicates that mask wearing has actually slowed the spread. If someone has data on the number of COVID cases and deaths per capita in states with mask mandates compared to states without them, and can demonstrate a statistically significant difference, please share it.

Tambourine

While I support wearing masks and do think it's best to wear masks in indoor public spaces (it certainly can't hurt and probably does help), I'm still a mask skeptic in the sense that I have not yet seen clear, definitive data that indicates that mask wearing has actually slowed the spread. If someone has data on the number of COVID cases and deaths per capita in states with mask mandates compared to states without them, and can demonstrate a statistically significant difference, please share it.
In Austria there has been a direct correlation between a loosening of restrictions on mask wearing and social distancing, and a rise in COVID cases, but since these measures (mask wearing + social distancing) typically go hand in hand, it's probably going to be hard to find concrete data in the manner you seem to be asking for.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
One needs to look at per capita figures in order to determine its lethality.

Just because there are high figures thrown around doesn't mean it kills in great numbers on a per capita basis.

From my understanding the lethality is still quite low.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't know. If you stood next to another person without being in their space, never touching them, and I guess not talking to them, how would the virus spread if you didn't have a mask.

It's good precaution technique and I think more common sense (further away, the better) would help more than looking at numbers as a way to determine life and death issues. I think a better incentive to wear a mask would be if one is taking care of their loved one or they have a personal experience that would make them choose that option rather than numbers on screen.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Just because there are high figures thrown around doesn't mean it kills in great numbers on a per capita basis.

I read most people recover from it since the symptoms aren't alien and can be treated. Like my mother told me her friend had it. He recovered. As for who has it, it really depends if they received tests that confirmed it rather than being sick at home without medical care. Don't ask me to find out where I read it from.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Determining its ‘lethality’ is not very relevant. The fact is it can and does kill a lot of people, especially in high risk groups. The ‘lethality’ of driving without seat belts is low, but we wear them as it is a simple measure that saves unnecessary loss of life.

Rational Agnostic

Determining its ‘lethality’ is not very relevant. The fact is it can and does kill a lot of people, especially in high risk groups. The ‘lethality’ of driving without seat belts is low, but we wear them as it is a simple measure that saves unnecessary loss of life.

Seat belts have obviously been demonstrated to save lives. I have yet to see a single study that clearly demonstrates that mask wearing saves lives. Don't get me wrong--I think mask wearing DOES work but this is based purely on intuition which could be wrong. The other issue I have is when the so-called "experts" try to claim that the virus is airborne AND that wearing masks works. You can't have it both ways, because if the virus were truly airborne, then it could easily penetrate a mask as a virus particle is far smaller in diameter than the space between the mask and the face. I don't think that the virus is airborne, though. If it's spread through droplets only, then masks should at least filter out some of the virus.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Seat belts have obviously been demonstrated to save lives. I have yet to see a single study that clearly demonstrates that mask wearing saves lives. Don't get me wrong--I think mask wearing DOES work but this is based purely on intuition which could be wrong. The other issue I have is when the so-called "experts" try to claim that the virus is airborne AND that wearing masks works. You can't have it both ways, because if the virus were truly airborne, then it could easily penetrate a mask as a virus particle is far smaller in diameter than the space between the mask and the face. I don't think that the virus is airborne, though. If it's spread through droplets only, then masks should at least filter out some of the virus.
Yeah.

Daemon Sophic

As per the reviews back in March, this virus has a fatality rate around 3%. The US has roughly 5,000,000 infected people, and roughly 150,000 deaths.....so far. That’s still 3%, just as early statistical projections/predictions showed.
Which has several meanings.
- this COVID is 20 to 30 times as lethal as the flu (~0.1% mortality)
- the 3% factors in high ~10 to 15% mortality in the elderly, while much lower mortality rate in the young
- which leads to a lot of anecdotal nonsense: “Well, I have a friend who got it, and now he’s fine. So it can’t be all that bad.” :facepalm:

How ‘Superspreading’ Events Drive Most COVID-19 Spread

Airborne Transmission of SARS-CoV-2—Theoretical Considerations and Available Evidence
Super spreader events are not a bunch of people writhing all over one another, or spitting in the common soup bowl. They are concerts, or parties wherein everyone is sharing the same air. That is the common denominator.

Also, we don’t breath out a dry dust of virions. We breath out water droplets (fog). This is roughly 1 liter (quart) per day. The virions ride inside those droplets. The masks, especially 2 to 4 layer thick (good quality) masks will stop the droplet fog. And because they stop the droplets, they stop the virus.

Lastly, all infections have an “infectious dose”. This term is not used in public a lot, partly because it makes it difficult to understand, but also, because it is not well qualified for many pathogenic organisms (diseases). However, it does influence the infectivity of an organism.
The idea is that getting just one virus or bacteria onto your mucosal membranes (including into your lungs) probably won’t be enough to give you an infection. The “bugs” need a healthy colony-sized group before they can set up house inside you.
With shigella or Hepatitis B, you just need a few (literally), while others need a seriously big load in their settlement colony.
Selected-bacterial-pathogens-responsible-for-illness-and-their-corresponding-symptoms.png

So the masks might leak a little, but as long as they’re stopping 50 or 80% of the incoming droplet fog breathed out by the singer on stage, or the kid standing next to you, then they are preventing you from sucking in a full-sized infectious dose/colony. And your lungs/nose just breath/snot drip out and kill off the few invaders before they can set up shop. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know. If you stood next to another person without being in their space, never touching them, and I guess not talking to them, how would the virus spread if you didn't have a mask.

It's good precaution technique and I think more common sense (further away, the better) would help more than looking at numbers as a way to determine life and death issues. I think a better incentive to wear a mask would be if one is taking care of their loved one or they have a personal experience that would make them choose that option rather than numbers on screen.

You breath. They breath

My incentive for wearing a mask is i don't want to be responsible for anothers death should i be infected and pass it on.

facebook_1594327553905.jpg

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What I find very interesting, as I shop at Walmart, Public, Home Depot et al. Is that everyone is wearing a mask and they feel safe!

HOWEVER,

Most masks are just bandanas, simple home-made masks, store bought masks and probably, IMV, about 90% don't meet the standard to stop COVID. But everyone is happy, comfortable, and relaxed because they are wearing masks while masking the reality that it is doing absolutely nothing.

PureX

Veteran Member
Other countries will learn from their mistakes. The United states will not. We are the land of greed and denial. Reality and truth are not welcome here. We're all about the Benjamins, baby!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You breath. They breath

My incentive for wearing a mask is i don't want to be responsible for anothers death should i be infected and pass it on.

View attachment 41800

Shrugs. I have more opinions about the asymptomatic thing than the mask. One doesn't just wake up asymptomatic so I can see the use of the mask a psychological thing but unless people put themselves at risk an thus being extra careful for self and others, there's not too much else to say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Other countries will learn from their mistakes. The United states will not. We are the land of greed and denial. Reality and truth are not welcome here. We're all about the Benjamins, baby!

That's more politics. Each individual is different in the states since we're from all over the world and don't always share like values on things like this. Religion and politics.

Rational Agnostic

What I find very interesting, as I shop at Walmart, Public, Home Depot et al. Is that everyone is wearing a mask and they feel safe!

HOWEVER,

Most masks are just bandanas, simple home-made masks, store bought masks and probably, IMV, about 90% don't meet the standard to stop COVID. But everyone is happy, comfortable, and relaxed because they are wearing masks while masking the reality that it is doing absolutely nothing.

I don't think that masks do absolutely nothing. I think they likely DO work. I just haven't seen clear proof of it. And if masks work, then bandanas, etc, are presumably better than nothing.