• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Updated Golden Rule

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe you're right in some situations. But as a general rule, do you think the updated version is better or worse than the original?

I think it has the same positive potential or possible negative outcome.

Its just hard to say. It would vary from situation to situation. Of course, you may not know(or understand) a person's values, but you may not understand what they enjoy or hate, either.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In a recent thread the golden rule, 'do to others as you would have them do to you' was shown to be inadaquate. The rule as stated above implies that other people share your own priorities and values.

Would the following updated golden rule have less potential for conflict?

Don't do to others what they hate.
What about a combo-rule? "Do unto others what you'd have them do unto you unless they wouldn't like that." :D

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In a recent thread the golden rule, 'do to others as you would have them do to you' was shown to be inadaquate. The rule as stated above implies that other people share your own priorities and values.

I have always used a different formulation of the GR, but just a shade less simple than the one you cite. My version has always been, "do not do to others what you would not have done to yourself."

I use that somewhat negative formulation (rather than the Biblical "do unto others what you would have them do unto you") because the latter could lead a masochist to mistreat people, or someone who really enjoys fellatio to insist upon fellating others -- who might just prefer that he didn't bother.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Note:This is not a view I agree with just a perspective Ive heard that I thought would be interesting...I read somewhere someone arguing that the golden rule rewards bad behavior. That you should treat others how they treat you. By not doing so and treating them kindly you are telling its ok for them to treat you like crap. I am sure they would think your new golden rule would have that same problem. Personally I disagree with harming anyone. To be kind even to mean people. I think treating people poorly who treat you poorly just escalates things

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
My greatest teacher was a fundamentalist Christian and she had one rule in her class: Respect. One word, and it covered everything. Treat others with respect, treat yourself with respect, treat the environment with respect, etc.

74x12

Wait ... when was what Jesus said do unto others as you would have them do unto you shown to be inadequate? Maybe if someone twists it's meaning but that's what fools already do to all wisdom.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Baha'i Faith: "Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself."

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Wait ... when was what Jesus said do unto others as you would have them do unto you shown to be inadequate? Maybe if someone twists it's meaning but that's what fools already do to all wisdom.
I know of one instance where it would be most inappropriate, but it is the except, not the rule

74x12

I know of one instance where it would be most inappropriate, but it is the except, not the rule
Proverbs and sayings like this are not meant to always be literal. Otherwise you end up with legalize bogging down the flow of the wisdom that is trying to be expressed. This is why legal agreements can be so tedious and full of nonsense which is only useful in a legal setting.

Therefore wisdom has to be expressed in sayings, proverbs etc. Oversimplification is used on purpose so that the wisdom behind the words never loses it's force or beauty. So, the point is to grasp the wisdom that the words are only serving as a conduit for.

This is why Jesus said "the words I speak are spirit and they are life" (John 6:63)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Proverbs and sayings like this are not meant to always be literal. Otherwise you end up with legalize bogging down the flow of the wisdom that is trying to be expressed. This is why legal agreements can be so tedious and full of nonsense which is only useful in a legal setting.

Therefore wisdom has to be expressed in sayings, proverbs etc. Oversimplification is used on purpose so that the wisdom behind the words never loses it's force or beauty. So, the point is to grasp the wisdom that the words are only serving as a conduit for.

This is why Jesus said "the words I speak are spirit and they are life" (John 6:63)
I am not in disagreement with you.
Merely pointing out that there is at least one exception to the rule.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not twisting words but follow through and thinking it out. The "golden rule" becomes very problematic under scrutiny and we begin to explore scenarios and the parameters that are worked with.

74x12

It's not twisting words but follow through and thinking it out. The "golden rule" becomes very problematic under scrutiny and we begin to explore scenarios and the parameters that are worked with.
See post 33. The saying is not meant to be abused but something to bring up in your mind anytime you're tempted to do otherwise than what's right.

The real root of the saying is love your neighbor as yourself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
See post 33. The saying is not meant to be abused but something to bring up in your mind anytime you're tempted to do otherwise than what's right.

The real root of the saying is love your neighbor as yourself.
If you do something that isn't right but that you would want done to you then you are in the right per the golden rule, because you'd want it done to you. That's not abusing it, that is working well within it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think the most common problem arises when someone justifes their actions based on trying to help another person. They can say to themselves, "I'd want someone to help me, so I'm going to help them."

This happens often with overbearing parents who interfere in their children's lives. But there are other examples.