• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Two Faces of the Sabbath

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
In regards to the latter statement, not only do I not believe that personally, but Judaism does not teach that either.

What I was responding to was a more literal interpretation of scripture, whereas that's where the person I was discussing this with was coming from.

Well, you certainly would not be referring to me, as I do not read the Scripture in some sort of manner where your response would make sense.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
In regards to the latter statement, not only do I not believe that personally, but Judaism does not teach that either.

What I was responding to was a more literal interpretation of scripture, whereas that's where the person I was discussing this with was coming from.

I know you may not identify with it. But, you're leading credence to that literalism.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't personally disagree with what you wrote, /I don't think that Sabbath with all the rules, is necessary for Xians,
however
there is a legit argument for that type of Xian Sabbath keeping. That's all.
Whatever Christians may decided along such lines is not a problem with me. After all, my wife is a Christian and I attend mass with her regularly. My response was just in regards to what is actually found written in Torah and not my personal opinion on the whole matter. [see my last post above]

Take care.

metis

Metis, if you asked me what my 'theology' is, I would answer 'Judahite'. This is what I personally identify with, and is along the lines of how I read Scripture. This may /more likely doesn't/, not have any relevance to how Christians read the Bible, Torah or otherwise.

L'Shalom
Thanks.

Also, how do you define "Judahite" as I've never run across that before? Betcha you're not even close to the extent of my loosey-goosey theological approach.:) I'm so far out in left field that I can't even see the stadium.

metis

Lol no I'm pretty far out.
Just means Tanach adherent /theologically.
I take a mystical approach to Scripture, and the specificity is only to delineate from a possible misunderstanding as to Deity adherence. /That could be historical or such./
I'm not adverse to reading Kabbalah etc., just no declaration that I'm going to subscribe to everything I read //liberal.

hope that makes sense
Thanks for the clarification, but I beat ya by a mile on the Lunatic Left Leaning scale. :p

metis

Not interested. If you want me to know , quote it.
It would have taken you far less time with one click of the mouse than to have written the above, which says a lot about how ill-informed you really want to remain. But I see the same pattern you use in other areas as well, so no surprise here.

A real student has no desire to want to operate out of ignorance.

omega2xx

It would have taken you far less time with one click of the mouse than to have written the above, which says a lot about how ill-informed you really want to remain. But I see the same pattern you use in other areas as well, so no surprise here.

It would have taken far less time if you would have cut and pasted what you wanted me to read. I doubt if it was something I have not heard many times.

A real student has no desire to want to operate out of ignorance.

What do you think I am ignorant of? Be specific.

whirlingmerc

Not a simple question
should not be treated in a reductionistic way

1) The Sabbath was from creation and the only use of the word holy in genesis was regarding the 7th day

2) the New Testament uses the term the Lord's day to the 1st day when Jesus rose and the only communion celebration in the New Testament the apostles celebrated at church was on Sunday, Pentecost was on Sunday, offering collection was on Sunday... a change occurred with the resurrection For example, Apostle John was given the book of Revelation on the Lord's day (i.e. Sunday)

3) The Sabbath was broadened to mean in part resting in the work of Jesus on the cross by faith and used that way in the book of Hebrews

4) The book of Romans appeals to those who set one day above others and those who treat each day alike to cut each other slack and respect each other's conscience. "Who are you to judge the servant of another, to his own master he stands or falls and the Lord is able to make him stand' in concluding chapters of Romans .... which also says to cut the vegetarians some slack as well...

5) Isaiah chapters 54 - 66 , post Isaiah 53 has the servants songs and Sabbath language is still prominently used There is a 'priesthood of believers' in the New Testament where people walk before God keeping a good conscience and that may be different for one or another.

6) Christians are not justified by their works or fruits but by grace through faith but will express their love of God as a fruit various ways.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not a simple question
should not be treated in a reductionistic way

1) The Sabbath was from creation and the only use of the word holy in genesis was regarding the 7th day

2) the New Testament uses the term the Lord's day to the 1st day when Jesus rose and the only communion celebration in the New Testament the apostles celebrated at church was on Sunday, Pentecost was on Sunday, offering collection was on Sunday... a change occurred with the resurrection For example, Apostle John was given the book of Revelation on the Lord's day (i.e. Sunday)

3) The Sabbath was broadened to mean in part resting in the work of Jesus on the cross by faith and used that way in the book of Hebrews

4) The book of Romans appeals to those who set one day above others and those who treat each day alike to cut each other slack and respect each other's conscience. "Who are you to judge the servant of another, to his own master he stands or falls and the Lord is able to make him stand' in concluding chapters of Romans .... which also says to cut the vegetarians some slack as well...

5) Isaiah chapters 54 - 66 , post Isaiah 53 has the servants songs and Sabbath language is still prominently used There is a 'priesthood of believers' in the New Testament where people walk before God keeping a good conscience and that may be different for one or another.

6) Christians are not justified by their works or fruits but by grace through faith but will express their love of God as a fruit various ways.

'Works', has more than one meaning. The 'works lead to salvation' crowd has a very specific idea of what this means, and it really doesn't even include something like Sabbath Keeping, /usually/.
In order to argue against Sabbath Keeping, you would literally have to argue that it shouldn't, be kept.

Last edited: