• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Truth About Melchizedek

Ben Avraham

Here is a column which I consider will crack under the building of Christianity. Who was Melchizedek? This man was a pagan Canaanite king, who happened to be the king of Salem, ancient name for Jerusalem.

Abram had just returned from a battle with five kings, and, on his way to Beersheba, he paused in Jerusalem for a repast. He and his men were tired and weary of the military campaign. Melchizedek, afraid perhaps that Abram would take on him too and conquer Jerusalem out of his hands, immediately brought forth bread and wine to him and his troops. For Abram, it was a relieve. He didn't have to fight another king.

Now, please, I must remind you that I am reading from the originals in Hebrew and not from the Gentile adulterated version of the KJV. Why would Melchizedek prefer to feed Abram and his army instead of fighting him? Because he, Abram, and not Melchizedek was the priest of God most High, whose seed would be of a nation of priests and kings. (Exod. 19:6; Isa. 61:6)

Then, as Melchizedek served the food and drink, he blessed Abram. Please focus on how he blessed Abram. "Blessed be Abram of God Most High." It means that Melchizedek would recognize that Abram was the one Priest of God the Most High. Creator of the universe." Then, for all the bread and wine, and that blessing of recognition of who Abram really was, Abram shared with him a tenth of the spoils taken from the kings in battle.

Now, let us check Psalm 110:4, which in the KJV says, "The Lord has sworn and will not repent, you are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This is a Christian gloss plagiarized by Paul and grossly forged by the Church in the 4th Century under the excuse of pious forgery.

Here is what Psalm 110:4 says in the originals in Hebrew: "The Lord has sworn and will not relent, you are a priest forever; a rightful king by My decree." As you can see, it has nothing to do with king Melchizedek, king of Salem, but rather to David in the type level of interpretation, which points to the archetype level of Israel, the seed of Abraham as a nation of priests and kings. (Exod. 19:6; Isa. 61:6) Obviously, only the High Priest of the Most High would produce a generation of priests and kings through Israel.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Here is what Gen. 14:18 says
And Malki Tzedek [the] king of Shalem, brought out bread and wine. And he was a priest to the Highest G-d.

That doesn't sound like a pagan to me.

Also, while you claim that the original Hebrew says, "The Lord has sworn and will not relent, you are a priest forever; a rightful king by My decree." I can't help but notice this exact word for word translation found in some Jewish translations. It kind of seems like you are not reading the Hebrew, but lifting a translation that fits your needs.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Here is a column which I consider will crack under the building of Christianity. Who was Melchizedek? This man was a pagan Canaanite king, who happened to be the king of Salem, ancient name for Jerusalem.

Abram had just returned from a battle with five kings, and, on his way to Beersheba, he paused in Jerusalem for a repast. He and his men were tired and weary of the military campaign. Melchizedek, afraid perhaps that Abram would take on him too and conquer Jerusalem out of his hands, immediately brought forth bread and wine to him and his troops. For Abram, it was a relieve. He didn't have to fight another king.

Now, please, I must remind you that I am reading from the originals in Hebrew and not from the Gentile adulterated version of the KJV. Why would Melchizedek prefer to feed Abram and his army instead of fighting him? Because he, Abram, and not Melchizedek was the priest of God most High, whose seed would be of a nation of priests and kings. (Exod. 19:6; Isa. 61:6)

Then, as Melchizedek served the food and drink, he blessed Abram. Please focus on how he blessed Abram. "Blessed be Abram of God Most High." It means that Melchizedek would recognize that Abram was the one Priest of God the Most High. Creator of the universe." Then, for all the bread and wine, and that blessing of recognition of who Abram really was, Abram shared with him a tenth of the spoils taken from the kings in battle.

Now, let us check Psalm 110:4, which in the KJV says, "The Lord has sworn and will not repent, you are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This is a Christian gloss plagiarized by Paul and grossly forged by the Church in the 4th Century under the excuse of pious forgery.

Here is what Psalm 110:4 says in the originals in Hebrew: "The Lord has sworn and will not relent, you are a priest forever; a rightful king by My decree." As you can see, it has nothing to do with king Melchizedek, king of Salem, but rather to David in the type level of interpretation, which points to the archetype level of Israel, the seed of Abraham as a nation of priests and kings. (Exod. 19:6; Isa. 61:6) Obviously, only the High Priest of the Most High would produce a generation of priests and kings through Israel.

How can he be both a Pagan and Priest of God Most High? Your sort of caught between the Rock and a Hard place. If Melchizedek wasn't legit then Abraham wasn't legit, and Melchizedek was no Jew, yet Priest of God Most High. And Christ was made High Priest Forever after the order of Melchizedek, though he was a Jew and the Chosen 'One' of God.

Tumah

Veteran Member
How can he be both a Pagan and Priest of God Most High? Your sort of caught between the Rock and a Hard place. If Melchizedek wasn't legit then Abraham wasn't legit, and Melchizedek was no Jew, yet Priest of God Most High. And Christ was made High Priest Forever after the order of Melchizedek, though he was a Jew and the Chosen 'One' of God.
There is no order of Melchizedek.

Ben Avraham

You did not understand the thread. Melchizedek was not a priest of God Most High. The Priest of God the Most High in this text was Abraham. Only from the Priest of the Most High would come a kingdom of priests and kings aka Israel. (Exodus 19:5,6) Melchizedek was the priest of Baal Molech who would serve his god by offering the firstborns of the Canaanites on the fire.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You did not understand the thread. Melchizedek was not a priest of God Most High. The Priest of God the Most High in this text was Abraham. Only from the Priest of the Most High would come a kingdom of priests and kings aka Israel. (Exodus 19:5,6) Melchizedek was the priest of Baal Molech who would serve his god by offering the firstborns of the Canaanites on the fire.
Oh yeah How could I have misunderstood that:
Genesis 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,

Ben Avraham

Oh yeah How could I have misunderstood that:
Genesis 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,

Then "Melchizedek" which means king of Salem brought out bread and wine. Whom to? To Abraham, the priest of the Most High. That's how pagans would welcome a powerful man in the case of Abraham. That was common among pagan Gentiles at that time. For instance, when the Jews were returning from exile in Babylon at the end of the 70 years, the Pagans in the district of the Gentiles went out to welcome them as if they were gods themselves. They even called them "Mighty God." (Isaiah 9:1-6) I find that welcome quite similar with the way Melchizedek treated Abraham returning from a battle. That's the natural in the welcoming of power by pagans.

rosends

I'm trying to understand your reading. You seem to be saying that the word "v'hu" (and he) in 14:18, instead of referring to the the noun stated in that verse, jumps backwards over the noun-subject of that verse and the two nouns in the verse before (and that none of the pronouns in the verse before do the same thing). This also requires that the subject-pronoun directly following changes focus back to Malki-Tzedek because Abram is the named object.

Verse 16: He returned (he is Abram)
Verse 17: The king of S'dom went to greet him (object-Abram), [after he (Abram) defeated the kings (object)] to the valley which is the King's Valley ("hu emek hamelech")
Verse 18: And Malki-Tzedek, king of Shalem (or "complete king" if you want) brought our bread and wine and he* is a priest of the most high
Verse 19: And he* blessed him and said "Blessed is Abram to the most high who made heaven and earth.
Verse 20: And blessed is the most high who delivered your enemies into your hands and he gave him a tenth of everything.

Your reading would require that the "he*" in two consecutive phrases stand for two different nouns. I don't see that at all.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Then "Melchizedek" which means king of Salem brought out bread and wine. Whom to? To Abraham, the priest of the Most High. That's how pagans would welcome a powerful man in the case of Abraham. That was common among pagan Gentiles at that time. For instance, when the Jews were returning from exile in Babylon at the end of the 70 years, the Pagans in the district of the Gentiles went out to welcome them as if they were gods themselves. They even called them "Mighty God." (Isaiah 9:1-6) I find that welcome quite similar with the way Melchizedek treated Abraham returning from a battle. That's the natural in the welcoming of power by pagans.

What was the purpose of Melchizedek blessing Abraham if Abraham was actually the High Priest?

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High. 19 He blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth;…

Hebrews 7:7 And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Also, while you claim that the original Hebrew says, "The Lord has sworn and will not relent, you are a priest forever; a rightful king by My decree." I can't help but notice this exact word for word translation found in some Jewish translations. It kind of seems like you are not reading the Hebrew, but lifting a translation that fits your needs.

On another forum, long ago and far away, more than once I called Ben out in regard to "his" translations. It didn't change him.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I'm trying to understand your reading. You seem to be saying that the word "v'hu" (and he) in 14:18, instead of referring to the the noun stated in that verse, jumps backwards over the noun-subject of that verse and the two nouns in the verse before (and that none of the pronouns in the verse before do the same thing). This also requires that the subject-pronoun directly following changes focus back to Malki-Tzedek because Abram is the named object......

Taught with the skill of someone who deals with high school students every day.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Please explain Tumah. This subject is very interesting to me. I've often wondered what this meant from a perspective of Judaism.
It doesn't mean anything. The word in Hebrew is דברתי. The root is דבר - DaVaR, which can mean either "word" or "thing". In context coming from the meaning of "word", "command" could be a loose translation - and that is probably where "order" comes from. As in a command. Not like an order of monks.

The common Jewish commentaries seem to take both approaches with the subject being either Abraham or David.

David1967

Premium Member
It doesn't mean anything. The word in Hebrew is דברתי. The root is דבר - DaVaR, which can mean either "word" or "thing". In context coming from the meaning of "word", "command" could be a loose translation - and that is probably where "order" comes from. As in a command. Not like an order of monks.

The common Jewish commentaries seem to take both approaches with the subject being either Abraham or David.

Thank you Tumah. That is very useful. I have often wondered how many words have been taken out of context or even wrongly translated in the Christian old testament. In cases such as this it seems they should have
consulted with a Rabbi.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Thank you Tumah. That is very useful. I have often wondered how many words have been taken out of context or even wrongly translated in the Christian old testament. In cases such as this it seems they should have
consulted with a Rabbi.
I thought maybe its the Christians who misunderstood what their translators when they wrote "order".