• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trump Administration believes in 'Herd Immunity supposedly practiced by Sweden

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Did you know that millions of people died in the great depression? Economy vs. lives is a false dichotomy, because people die from starvation in failed economies. But most people are such dimwits, they can't see beyond the end of their noses. I predict in 10 years we will look back on this and wonder why we created such a catastrophe by shutting down the economy. Y'all can't see it now, but in a year or so, this will be affecting all of us, and many of us will soon be homeless. Then maybe y'all will realize that *I* was not the stupid one.
Stop bleating about the economy as though it's some uncontrollable monster. The whole point of having a government is to protect and provide for people in periods of economic turmoil. Stop whining "we have to let people die because otherwise the economy collapses and then more people die" and start demanding the political class take appropriate action so people don't die AND the economy is protected.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Despite these alarming realities, Sweden's approach was still lauded by the World Health Organization (WHO). Surprisingly, WHO has praised Sweden as a “model” for battling COVID-19.
Coronavirus Update: WHO Praises Sweden For Resisting Lockdown Despite Growing COVID-19 Cases And Deaths

IDK, maybe they are just trying to get back on Trump's good side.
I think I'd like to see a statement from the WHO to that effect, rather than some popup ridden second hand article, but thanks all the same.

Mitty

Maybe . . . but Trump's lack of leadership and response in the country is documented anyway.
At least the bumbling buffoon is letting someone who is literate fill in for Him while He sulks and melt-downs. Perhaps she should be running for POTUS instead, while He settles into His Alzheimers.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think I'd like to see a statement from the WHO to that effect, rather than some popup ridden second hand article, but thanks all the same.

Ok, if you go to the link in the article there's a video of WHO Exe Dir Dr. Michael Ryan's statement.

Not a Youtube link so can't post it directly.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Despite these alarming realities, Sweden's approach was still lauded by the World Health Organization (WHO). Surprisingly, WHO has praised Sweden as a “model” for battling COVID-19.
Coronavirus Update: WHO Praises Sweden For Resisting Lockdown Despite Growing COVID-19 Cases And Deaths

IDK, maybe they are just trying to get back on Trump's good side.
download (1).jpg

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
The Trump Administration believes in 'Herd Immunity supposedly practiced by Sweden, but more deliberately than Sweden.

The Trump administration by their acts and policy. The refusal to wear masks and distancing by the administration particularly Trump and Pence signal as an example to support this strategy. The Republican governors of Florida and Georgia reinforce this view by there polices when their states are hot with the virus and increasing cases and fatalities. Kind of like a form of eugenics.

Trump urging on opposition demonstrations against the Democratic states further reinforces this, and adds a political motive.

more to follow . . .
Yes to all. And now it has become political on top of that hot mess. Even here in my boonies, we have hundreds of ×+%#! gathering in herds of hundreds protesting the damn lefties who are infringin on their righties.

Eugenics is a good analogy. They can do the herd thing all they want because they're going to anyways. I'm staying in the woods. Good thing I don't really eat much meat.

Shad

Veteran Member
In the Depression, many could not pay their bills

Such people need our help and not ask them to put their lives, their childrens lives and their parents lives on the line as the death toll mounts by 2000 a day now and heaven knows what it would be if we tried to go back to business as usual.

The Depression was an economic and financial collapse. The present is a government mandated shutdown. The government is making impossible for some people to work.

Government isn't helping people pay their bills.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually both the Federal and State governments are subsidising businesses and the unemployed during the shutdown.

Shad

Veteran Member
Actually both the Federal and State governments are subsidising businesses and the unemployed during the shutdown.

It is not enough for many people that had a higher income while actually working. A lot of unemployment is restricted to a percentage of one's wages. Unemployment only covers a fraction of one's pays.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Depression was an economic and financial collapse. The present is a government mandated shutdown. The government is making impossible for some people to work.

Government isn't helping people pay their bills.
The proximate cause is different, but a Depression is a Depression. We'll see if the current situation lasts as long as this definition indicates:

A depression is a severe and prolonged downturn in economic activity. In economics, a depression is commonly defined as an extreme recession that lasts three or more years or which leads to a decline in real gross domestic product (GDP) of at least 10 percent. in a given year. Depression Definition

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It is not enough for many people that had a higher income while actually working. A lot of unemployment is restricted to a percentage of one's wages. Unemployment only covers a fraction of one's pays.
There is also the money sent directly to all lower income citizens. It is only for a month or two longer until the pandemic ends.

Your disregard for the lives of the elderly and vulnerable is obvious.

Wandering Monk

Yeah, so how's that working out for Sweden compared to their cultural and geographic neighbor?

"Note that deaths in Sweden are now 2,379 more than Norway, which is nearly 12x greater. Just 9 days ago, the ratio was nearly 10x for the difference in deaths between the two. Put another way, in 9 days, Norway had 26 Covid-19 deaths, while Sweden had 1,006, or 980 more deaths attributable to the disease. Given the 2-3 week latency of infections, these trendlines seem destined to continue to diverge, perhaps at an accelerating rate."​

Sweden's Story Remains Alarming

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, so how's that working out for Sweden compared to their cultural and geographic neighbor?

Sweden's Story Remains Alarming
Sweden will be the stronger country in the end. And arguably among the first to recover. The fact remains there is no cure and the real experts we got right now is our own biology and its own ability to adapt.

The only criticism I got for Sweden would be to help try to mitigate the spread by practicing some simple common-sense rules like hygiene and masks as well as distancing if they're not doing that already.

I'm all for buying some time for the science community to develop some kind of control or cure if it's possible.

The bottom line remains. Most people will recover from the covid virus without medical treatment. Even the worst off will still have the odds in their favor regardless of what people may say about it.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
There is also the money sent directly to all lower income citizens. It is only for a month or two longer until the pandemic ends.

It isn't enough for a lot of people. Try again

Your disregard for the lives of the elderly and vulnerable is obvious.

Fiction in your head. I have CPOD. I am in a risk group. Try again.

Wandering Monk

Sweden will be the stronger country in the end. And arguably among the first to recover. The fact remains there is no cure and the real experts we got right now is our own biology and its own ability to adapt.

The only criticism I got for Sweden would be to help try to mitigate the spread by practicing some simple common-sense rules like hygiene and masks as well as distancing if they're not doing that already.

I'm all for buying some time for the science community to develop some kind of control or cure if it's possible.

The bottom line remains. Most people will recover from the covid virus without medical treatment. Even the worst off will still have the odds in their favor regardless of what people may say about it.

How high will the death toll have to get before you give a ****?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shad

Veteran Member
The proximate cause is different, but a Depression is a Depression. We'll see if the current situation lasts as long as this definition indicates:

A depression is a severe and prolonged downturn in economic activity. In economics, a depression is commonly defined as an extreme recession that lasts three or more years or which leads to a decline in real gross domestic product (GDP) of at least 10 percent. in a given year. Depression Definition

The cause matters when you make a comparison.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It isn't enough for a lot of people. Try again

Fiction in your head. I have CPOD. I am in a risk group. Try again.

Mainly, if it is not enough to carry over a few months people are over indulgent, run up credit cards, and do not save money. I am low income and save money, off work for a while and doing well.

Last edited: