• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true meaning of life

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
"Adam Fell That men might be; Men are that they might have joy."

2 Nephi 2:24-25

Anyone agree/disagree?

"Adam's fall" as a metaphor for self-consciousness that is the root of contrast and creativity and suffering and joy? Sure. I can see that.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'm unsure as to the ambiguity.

I think people are here to be happy, and enjoy thier life. and to experience all the joys the world has to offer. things like; love, friendship, family, parenthood, learning and teaching, making choices. things of those nature.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

I think people are here to be happy, and enjoy thier life. and to experience all the joys the world has to offer. things like; love, friendship, family, parenthood, learning and teaching, making choices. things of those nature.
Fair enough...but what does that have to do with Adam?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

If the point is that life is an end-in-itself to be joyfully accepted for its own sake, then I can go along with that.

eudaimonia,

Mark

maro

muslimah

what about those who lost their family and friends in a war ,what about those who don't find something to eat , medication,and opportunity for education ?.

what about those who were born disabled ?

no, the aim of life is certainly not to enjoy, this is selfish , and abides by no morality or care for others ,

The aim of life is much more superior than that , and i believe it's to learn , think , believe in God , struggle on his way to make the world a better place for all people , even if no happiness or joy comes from it

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
what about hose who lost their family and friends in a war ,what about those who don't find something to eat , medication,and opportunity for education .

what about those who were born disabled ?

Then their opportunities for these values may be limited. It's unfortunate for them, but that's the way it may be. Life comes with no guarantees.

no, the aim of life is certainly not to enjoy, this is selfish , and abides by no morality or care for others ,

You make it sound like these are mutually exclusive. But they need not be. One may enjoy caring for others.

The aim of life is much more superior than that , and i believe it's to learn , think , belive in God , struggle on his way to make the world a better place for all people , even if no happiness or joy comes from it

Learning and thinking are enjoyable in their own right. Struggling to make the world a better place can also be enjoyable.

If you gain no happiness or joy from these activities whatsoever, you are on the road to burning out and making yourself a wreck. This is self-destructive. Why do this?

Help others in moderation. Decide as best as you can what the right degree is for you.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Phil Lawton

The aim/meaning of life is to make more of it before we die. Simple as that.

We've just acquired this strange notion that we're superior to creatures like the crane fly because we have thumbs and MTV.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Anyone agree/disagree?

Had Eve and Adam not eaten the apple, they would not have been Eve and Adam, and I would still be a Garden.

The meaning of life is to observe, as far as I can tell. :cool:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
The meaning of life is to make your own meaning. Though, I do like that passage from the Book of Mormon.

maro

muslimah
Then their opportunities for these values may be limited. It's unfortunate for them, but that's the way it may be. Life comes with no guarantees.

yeah...but as a muslim i believe that (Allah) is just ,..so if this life was the point itself...and we are here only to enjoy and have fun by all possible means.......this is not just

and those who got less " chances" to live a happy life ,will lose hope ,and their life will make no sense any more

see how this person may seem "hopeless" from one limited Pov that sees life as a place of joy and happiness , but he is still thankful to allah ,and prays for him sincerely becoz he understood what life is all about

94047380.jpg

You make it sound like these are mutually exclusive. But they need not be. One may enjoy caring for others.

true...but if your only goal of life was to enjoy ,..your interest will contradict "Morality" at one point....it's a must

and if there is no value higher than bringing "happiness" to ourselves ,we will certainly choose to be selfish regarding our choices

Learning and thinking are enjoyable in their own right. Struggling to make the world a better place can also be enjoyable.

If you gain no happiness or joy from these activities whatsoever, you are on the road to burning out and making yourself a wreck. This is self-destructive. Why do this?

not always...forgive me, but when i talk about (Making the world a better place) ,i can't help thinking about my prophet (PBUH) ...

he struggled so much...and achieved more than any other person could achieve......but yet he didn't do it to enjoy...his life was not enjoyable at all ,by our standards...it was very hard and tough

he was doing it ,not for this life , becoz this life is never the point itself ,..he was doing it for much "higher purpose " that is related to the afterlife ,

And that what makes life worthy of living

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
yeah...but as a muslim i believe that (Allah) is just ,..so if this life was the point itself...and we are here only to enjoy and have fun by all possible means.......this is not just

It sounds like you have a problem. Have you tried "Cognitive Dissonance"? It now comes in easy-to-swallow, gel-coated caplets.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

and those who got less " chances" to live a happy life ,will lose hope ,and their life will make no sense any more

see how this person may seem "hopeless" from one limited Pov that sees life as a place of joy and happiness , but he is still thankful to allah ,and prays for him sincerely becoz he understood what life is all about

true...but if your only goal of life was to enjoy ,..your interest will contradict "Morality" at one point....it's a must

and if there is no value higher than bringing "happiness" to ourselves ,we will certainly choose to be selfish regarding our choices

not always...forgive me, but when i talk about (Making the world a better place) ,i can't help thinking about my prophet (PBUH) ...

he struggled so much...and achieved more than any other person could achieve......but yet he didn't do it to enjoy...his life was not enjoyable at all ,by our standards...it was very hard and tough

he was doing it ,not for this life , becoz this life is never the point itself ,..he was doing it for much "higher purpose " that is related to the afterlife ,

And that what makes life worthy of living

For myself, doign good to other people makes everyone happy. If i can do something to help someone who really is in need, it brings me joy, and brings the reciever joy. Your prophet did so much for other people i am definitely sure he felt joy for what he acomplished and for all those he could help.

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." - Mosiah

ladybug83

Phil--that's funny. I like it...the meaning of life, in such short terms, is really just that--to make more of it.

I also agree with Madhatter. Sorrow is everywhere, but the opportunity for happiness is there, too. I think the meaning of life is to live a happy one, to improve yourself and be the person you know you want to be, to learn to love other people's company and to share as much love as you would like to receive.

Voila!

gnostic

The Lost One
madhatter said:

Eat :grill:
....and sleep. :sleep:

Oh, I've almost forgot, and have fun doing all of the above. :bounce

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled

Anyone agree/disagree?

Adam fell and was separated from the presence of God
Adam fell because he wanted what he could'nt have and we all have adopted that nature
So that was God's plan, provide a scenario where men fall that they might be saved ,
What kind of a god would do that,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The meaning of life, as far as I'm concerned, for the third time now that I have stated this one RF:
Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.
I'm not that hard to please.

Aure

MUSHA
The meaning of life is simple, it is life. there is no meaning to it, but it has much meaning. It goes beyond Adam