• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Titanic-rich-man syndrome

firedragon

Veteran Member
We all know the tragedy of the Titanic. How horribly and fast the ship sank.
What most people ignore is that most rich men did know that they had to abandon the ship, but their first thought and priority was to lock the cabins to prevent steerage passengers from looting them.

That is, so many first class passengers (some of whom did not survive) were more preoccupied with their own wealth, than with their own life.
Forgetting that if they are dead, they cannot use all those things.
Forgetting that those valuable things, those jewels, those incredibly expensive items were ending up on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Which makes me think this: does wealth make life worth-living? Was it worth it?
Did worshipping money to that extent make these men's life worth-living? Meaningful?

A flight bound from an Asian country to another Asian country had to be evacuated quickly due to some problem. I can't remember the problem. There was a video, and there was one guy in the middle of the isle blocking the whole group of people behind him because "his laptop was there". My laptop, my laptop.

Not only his life, he was putting many in jeopardy.

You nailed it. It's worshiping money.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What most people ignore is that most rich men did know that they had to abandon the ship, but their first thought and priority was to lock the cabins to prevent steerage passengers from looting them.

That is, so many first class passengers (some of whom did not survive) were more preoccupied with their own wealth, than with their own life.
Forgetting that those valuable things, those jewels, those incredibly expensive items were ending up on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Did worshipping money to that extent make these men's life worth-living? Meaningful?

It's an interesting question. I think the story of the Titanic has always captivated and riveted people from its many facets.

I find that life is still worth living, even without wealth. But if I was on the Titanic, I'd probably still hang out with the band, singing along to the very end.

I'm not sure about the wealthy men on the Titanic, whether they felt that wealth made their life worth living. The Captain went down with his ship. Under the circumstances, that was his only real choice. His life was over in any case. Other men might have felt it was the honorable thing to do, to go down with the ship so that more women and children could be saved. I can imagine even wealthy men thinking along those lines, especially under circumstances like that.

As for locking their cabins to prevent looting, I can't imagine what they might have been thinking. Maybe they didn't think the ship was going to sink at first, and it was only later that they realized. If they're wealthy and think they're going to survive, they might still have accounts and wealth still on land, even if they lose whatever they had with them that they couldn't carry on their person.

Of course, there's still been looting: 11 Artifacts Recovered From 'Titanic' (mentalfloss.com)

Since 1987—two years after the Titanic wreck was discovered—seven trips have been made to the ship's debris field, and more than 5500 artifacts have been salvaged. Here are a few of them.

It's staggering to think of how much lost treasure there must be at the bottom of the sea.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's an interesting question. I think the story of the Titanic has always captivated and riveted people from its many facets.

I find that life is still worth living, even without wealth. But if I was on the Titanic, I'd probably still hang out with the band, singing along to the very end.

I'm not sure about the wealthy men on the Titanic, whether they felt that wealth made their life worth living. The Captain went down with his ship. Under the circumstances, that was his only real choice. His life was over in any case. Other men might have felt it was the honorable thing to do, to go down with the ship so that more women and children could be saved. I can imagine even wealthy men thinking along those lines, especially under circumstances like that.

As for locking their cabins to prevent looting, I can't imagine what they might have been thinking. Maybe they didn't think the ship was going to sink at first, and it was only later that they realized. If they're wealthy and think they're going to survive, they might still have accounts and wealth still on land, even if they lose whatever they had with them that they couldn't carry on their person.

Of course, there's still been looting: 11 Artifacts Recovered From 'Titanic' (mentalfloss.com)

It's staggering to think of how much lost treasure there must be at the bottom of the sea.

It was an example to explain this syndrome.
To name this sindrome.

Because there have been incredibly rich people who at the moment of dying, did not want to leave all their assets, their money.
So...I guess these people are totally unaware of the human condition, of death.

Clara Tea

"My wife and I and a little brown dog,
crossed the river on a hickory log.
My wife got drowned, my dog got wet,
But I held to that little brown jug, you bet.

We each have what we feel is our most valuable possession. Yet, is the material wealth important?

Yesterday, I got my window smashed and a new chainsaw stolen, and trimmer stolen, and gas can (with gas) stolen. They didn't care about the $250 to replace my window. As long as they got things to sell for their next drug overdose. (sold for pennies on the dollar).

Our sheriff's department (which is funded perhaps as much as 100 times as much, per person, as some others in the US) has a motto: (in a nasal tone)...."What do you want me to do about it." They do nothing. If a poor person shoplifts, they realize that they can't pay the fine, and jailing them is more expensive than the items that they stole. They feel that any theft is a means of giving welfare to the poor.

But there are two kinds of poor. There are poor beaten little girls who just become mothers, who need food for their infants. There are those who prey on society, break into homes and garages, steal little girl's bicycles, and shun any kind of work (because it is easier to steal).

Should we, as religious people, want to help all of the poor, or should we draw a distinction between the evil poor and the needy poor? Should we lump them into homeless shelters together, where the helpless get raped and robbed?

What about revenge? We can't seem to get enough evidence to convince a judge that they need to be incarcerated. A clear photo of them stealing and breaking windows is still not evidence. Dragging a judge to be an eyewitness to a crime is still not evidence. Having a full confession by the criminal still is not enough evidence. The fact is, the legal system doesn't want to incarcerate the guilty (officers might get hurt making an arrest). It is easier to eat donuts than do work, so the police, too, shun all work.

The battle cry of the politicians is "throw money at the problems." For example, California pays more for education than any other state. Yet, it gets no bang for the buck (it ranks as the 48 worst educated state). California students watch movies all day (not like in my day when we had to actually study). Classrooms of 30 students have 30 different languages in California. Thus, the teacher has to spend all her time with sign language trying to get each student to understand the lecture. It is illegal, in an Hispanic neighborhood, to teach classes in Spanish (Brown V Board of Education of 1954....separate is necessarily unequal).

It is common practice for thieves to appear generous by giving away items to neighbors. That way, if an easily recognized item is found in the possession of a neighbor, they can blame the neighbor for the crime.

God tells us not to hurt those who steal from us. How then should they be punished (or should they be). Apparently, God will punish everyone who does wrong (though it never appears to me to be the case).

Clara Tea

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ic-site/0b9fef6d-b6ca-4ae3-acb4-c95118edce7e/

August 1987:

Everyone wanted to reveal the contents of the safe that was found in the wreckage, but there was an even greater treasure in a small bag--jewels.

Clara Tea

I found collaboration for your story:

Assistant Purser’s Office

"At 12:05 am, most of the First Class Passengers headed to the Purser's Office to take out all the treasures they had stored there, these things then most likely leaving the ship with them. Dr. Washington Dodge said,"The Purser's office was surrounded by a crowd demanding their valuables which the purser and his assistant endeavoring to hand out as quickly as possible." Chief Purser Herbert McElroy then closed the Purser's Office and advised all the women not to worry about their valuables, but to put on their lifebelts and report to the lifeboats. Before the purser left his station, he most likely locked the safe, so no looters would take anything. When the Purser's safe was recovered in 1987, it was empty. Some say this was the second class safe. It is said that the Rubayiat of Omar Khayyam was stored in the first class safe but after the collision was transported into a bag to be taken off in a lifeboat, but when no space was found, was returned to the safe."

They probably thought that they had a great deal of time before the unsinkable ship sank.

Hugh Walter McElroy

"in 1890 when Hugh [chief purser who died when the ship sank] was just turned 16 he joined a Roman Catholic Religious Order called “Canons Regular of the Lateran”, as a student for the priesthood."

rational experiences

Veteran Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ic-site/0b9fef6d-b6ca-4ae3-acb4-c95118edce7e/

August 1987:

Everyone wanted to reveal the contents of the safe that was found in the wreckage, but there was an even greater treasure in a small bag--jewels.
To a theist man destroyer.

He placated humans life origin as only sacrificed. Meant it.

Jew. A title of man. As sacrificed.

He says gods jewEL...name El power of God.

Jew plus EL. Sinking ship.

It's why Hitler criminally was in mind possessed belief about scientific bio experiments on Jewish life.

Why he tortured holy men seeking gods power advice. For technology. From biblical scholars.

New richest men investors in control.

So jewel in gods body is fusion of particles held as mass. Crystalline pressures.

He wants it sacrificed removed says his mind possession today.

He only wants gods earth resource as a particle. Direct equals answer.

Is a direct man's historic mind possession.

By his coded namesake that he used as a self titled man satanist.

Jewish crime against man life who was supporting Rome.

HE rod. Man used name of old man's science gods term. The God rod struck us dead. He as his window.

Openings he said by he will into ground hell. Man's nuclear science confession. By man and titled namesake. His mind.

As it's inherrant.

HIT ler.

His research EL by Jewish review LE. On the side of newly advised memory of R. R A alpha man belief.

Hit by LE R. I'm the A alpha man position believer. In memory self possession.

Hit meanng to destroy by hit technologies by RA. Nuclear.

Hence he says as the science rich man's past. I coded my own man's name inheritance into nuclear destruction. Warning signs.

Look for my signs it's when I'm trying to destroy you all.

A known studied God of science man teachings to his own man self. His satanic letters forming his satanic science words.

How it's proven true to man of science word owner.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Further truth is verified speeches studied as bible codings. They were stated before the men who believe and follow the possession say or act on the worded advice.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have never heard of this. Shows there are so many things we are absolutely ignorant of. So many things to know and learn from. Good story to teach kids, ourselves and our parents. ;) Everyone needs to learn a lesson from this.
I think people here misread my thread. It was not about a historical fact.
It was about a syndrome that is pretty common to those who have passed their own lives to stockpile riches, forgetting and ignoring the real value of human life. Why we're here. What for.
That is why there have been cases of people not wanting to die just because they didn't want to leave all those riches behind.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I think people here misread my thread. It was not about a historical fact.
It was about a syndrome that is pretty common to those who have passed their own lives to stockpile riches, forgetting and ignoring the real value of human life. Why we're here. What for.
That is why there have been cases of people not wanting to die just because they didn't want to live all those riches behind.

Some people die because they don't want to leave those riches behind. Trying to save those riches, they die in vain, sometimes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Some people die because they don't want to leave those riches behind. Trying to save those riches, they die in vain, sometimes.

A European Prime Minister said two days ago: sometimes ECB bankers use their heart too.
Sometimes.
Meaning that usually, they do not.
This is self-explanatory.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a real anecdote. I didn't make it up. It's a religious thread.
So, if you want to talk about it, talk about religion/spirituality.:)
To quote...
" It was not about a historical fact."
No evidence offered.

I could offer unsupported anecdotes to demonize
blacks, women, Italians, men, poor folk, fry cooks,
Hindus, teachers, Jews, moderators, etc, etc.
What purpose does it serve to demonize a class
of people with apocryphal anecdotes?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
To quote...
" It was not about a historical fact."
No evidence offered.

I could offer unsupported anecdotes to demonize
blacks, women, Italians, men, poor folk, fry cooks,
Hindus, teachers, Jews, moderators, etc, etc.
What purpose does it serve to demonize a class
of people with apocryphal anecdotes?
No...I meant, that I did not want to focus on the historical fact. Which is based upon Colonel Gracie's testimony, and since it is not substantiated by any other claim\evidence, it could be inaccurate.
But there are historical examples of billionaires on the deathbed, who died in despair thinking of their own assets.
That was their last thought/torment.
So the Titanic anecdote is just one example. Among several.

Last edited: