• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Titanic-rich-man syndrome

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No...I meant, that I did not want to focus on the historical fact. Which is based upon Colonel Gracie's testimony, and since it is not substantiated by any other claim\evidence, it could be inaccurate.
But there are historical examples of billionaires on the deathbed, who died in despair thinking of their own assets.
That was their last thought/torment.
So the Titanic anecdote is just one example. Among several.
How about examples of poor folk stealing, killing, etc?
Let's characterize every group by offering undocumented
bad examples. Oh, you Italians are so vulnerable there.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
How about examples of poor folk stealing, killing, etc?
Let's characterize every group by offering undocumented
bad examples. Oh, you Italians are so vulnerable there.

I did not mean to generalize.
I am sorry if I gave the impression I was saying "all rich people" are like that.
:)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Dictating his eulogy to someone?

I guess his loyal worshippers will be reciting
Our Soros
who art in (tax) Haven
be eurified thy name
thy (financial) empire come
thy will be done
in Europe as it is in the US

Btw...I think he will be proud of his speculations, his deeds.
He said he would not look into the social consequences of his own actions.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ok...what do you guys think Soros will think on his deathbed?
Speaking of Soros, articles from the Guardian keep popping up in my news feed, saying they're sponsored by his Open Societies Foundation. Apparently he's a big donor to them. I see Bill Gates is there, too:
About us – theguardian.org

They might as well just say "sponsored by Pfizer" at this point like the "news" does in the US. Lol.

syo

We all know the tragedy of the Titanic. How horribly and fast the ship sank.
What most people ignore is that most rich men did know that they had to abandon the ship, but their first thought and priority was to lock the cabins to prevent steerage passengers from looting them.

That is, so many first class passengers (some of whom did not survive) were more preoccupied with their own wealth, than with their own life.
Forgetting that if they are dead, they cannot use all those things.
Forgetting that those valuable things, those jewels, those incredibly expensive items were ending up on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Which makes me think this: does wealth make life worth-living? Was it worth it?
Did worshipping money to that extent make these men's life worth-living? Meaningful?
They became protective.

Audie

Veteran Member
We all know the tragedy of the Titanic. How horribly and fast the ship sank.
What most people ignore is that most rich men did know that they had to abandon the ship, but their first thought and priority was to lock the cabins to prevent steerage passengers from looting them.

That is, so many first class passengers (some of whom did not survive) were more preoccupied with their own wealth, than with their own life.
Forgetting that if they are dead, they cannot use all those things.
Forgetting that those valuable things, those jewels, those incredibly expensive items were ending up on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Which makes me think this: does wealth make life worth-living? Was it worth it?
Did worshipping money to that extent make these men's life worth-living? Meaningful?
Works for me.