• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Term "Shia" in Prophet's (S.A.W.W) Hadith

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
The Messenger of Allah said to Ali: "Glad tiding O Ali! Verily you and your companions and your Shia (followers) will be in Paradise."

Sunni references:
1. Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p655
2. Hilyatul Awliyaa, by Abu Nu'aym, v4, p329
3. Tarikh, by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi, v12, p289
4. al-Awsat, by al-Tabarani
5. Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v10, pp 21-22
6. al-Darqunti, who said this tradition has been transmitted via numerous authorities.
7. al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami , Ch. 11, section 1, p247

Thus the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) used to say the phrase of "Shia of Ali". This phrase is not something invented later! Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF) said that the TRUE followers of imam Ali will go to Paradise, and this is a great felicity. Also Jabir Ibn Abdillah al-Ansari narrated that:
The Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said: "The Shia of Ali are the real victorious in the day of resurrection/rising"

Sunni references:
• al-Manaqib Ahmad, as mentioned in:
• Yanabi al-Mawaddah, by al-Qundoozi al-Hanafi, p62
• Tafsir al-Durr al-Manthoor, by al-Hafidh Jalaluddin al-Suyuti, who quotes the tradition as follows: "We were with the Holy Prophet when Ali came towards us. The Holy Prophet said: He and his Shia will aquire salvation on the day of judgment."

The "day of rising" may also refer to the day of rising of al-Mahdi (AS). But in more general term, it means the day of judgment. Also it is narrated that:
The Messenger of Allah said: "O Ali! On the Day of Judgment I shall resort to Allah and you will resort to me and your children will resort to you and the Shia will resort to them. Then you will see where they carry us. (i.e. to Paradise)"

Sunni reference: Rabi al-Abrar, by al-Zamakhshari

Furthermore, it is narrated that:

The Messenger of Allah said: "O Ali! (On the day of Judgment) you and your Shia will come toward Allah well-pleased and well-pleasing, and there will come to Him your enemies angry and stiff-necked (i.e., their head forced up).

Sunni references:
• al-Tabarani, on the authority of Imam Ali
• al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Ch. 11, section 1, p236

A more complete version of the tradition which has also been reported by the Sunnis, is as follows:

Ibn Abbas (RA) narrated: When the verse "Those who believe and do righteous deeds are the best of the creation (Quran 98:7)" was revealed, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said to Ali: "They are you and your Shia." He continued: "O Ali! (On the day of Judgment) you and your Shia will come toward Allah well-pleased and well-pleasing, and your enemies will come angry with their head forced up. Ali said: "Who are my enemies?" The Prophet (PBUH&HF) replied: "He who disassociates himself from you and curses you. And glad tiding to those who reach first under the shadow of al-'Arsh on the day of resurrection." Ali asked: "Who are they, O the Messenger of Allah?" He replied: "Your Shia, O Ali, and those who love you."

Sunni references:

• al-Hafidh Jamaluddin al-Dharandi, on the authority of Ibn Abbas
• al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, Ch. 11, section 1, pp 246-247

Then Ibn Hajar provides a bizarre commentary for the first tradition, saying:
The Shia of Ali are the Ahlussunnah since they are those who love Ahlul-Bayt as Allah and His Prophet ordered. But others (i.e., other than Sunnis) are the enemies of Ahlul-Bayt in reality for the love outside the boundary of law is the great enmity, and that was the reason for their fate. Also, the enemies of Ahlul-Bayt were al-Khawarij and their alike from Syria, not Muawiyah and other companions because they were Muteawweloon, and for them is a good reward, and for Ali and his Shia is a good reward!

Sunni reference:
• al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, Ch. 11, section 1, p236

And this is how Sunni scholars cope with the prophetic traditions in favor of "Shia of Ali"! They say that they are the real Shia!

----
A Shi'ite Encyclopedia
The Term "Shia" in Quran and Hadith

gruggle10

for 1400 years from abu bakr era till now,,what is the contribution of shia unless make miserable in muslim's world like this thread?

it is waste your time to open any thread like this

Abu Rashid

Shia said:
Ali said: "Who are my enemies?" The Prophet (PBUH&HF) replied: "He who disassociates himself from you and curses you.

Here is your major mistake, in that you think Ahl as-Sunnah are those who disassociate from him and curse him. When in fact they love and cherish him more than you do.

gruggle said:
for 1400 years from abu bakr era till now,,what is the contribution of shia unless make miserable in muslim's world like this thread?

This is not quite true. Some of the greatest Muslim scientists for instance were shi'a. They contributed a lot to Islamic civilisation. But that is individuals, you're right, whenever they've been in power all they've done is stab the Muslim Ummah in the back, like the Safawieen for instance, who were stabbing the Uthmani Khilafah in the back whilst it was trying to carry Islam to Europe.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
the Safawieen for instance, who were stabbing the Uthmani Khilafah in the back whilst it was trying to carry Islam to Europe.

Sit with yourself for a moment and consider...
From whom you have learnt yout Islam...

"Let man consider his food" Quran
A Shia Imam explained the above verse by saying Let man consider his knowledge from were he takes it.

Study those people you read to...
because you will share their place in the hereafter...

By the way the Safawieen were not Shia...
They were Sunnis...

All Iran was a Sunni country...
The conversion to Shiasm has taken ages...

You also need to read the history of Iran...
And their role in the Islamic Civilization...

At least read the The Sunni Hadiths regarding the Iranians:

Were belief to be found at the Pleaides, a man from those people (pointing to Salaman al-Farsi) would go there and obtain it’. (Abu Hurayrah, al-Bukhari, Muslim, al-Tirmidhi)

‘Were knowledge hanging at the Pleaides, a man from Persia qould go there and obtain it’ (Ahmad in Musand from Abu Hurayrah, al-Dhahabi in Tadhkirat al-Huffaz)

Abu Hurayrah used pay special attention to the Persians and say to them:
‘Draw near, Banu Farrukh! For if knowledge wer hanging at the Pleaides, there would be, among you, one those who would take It’. (Muslim, Abu Huryrah, Ibn Masu’d in al-tabarani al-Kabir)

Abu Rashid

Shia said:
By the way the Safawieen were not Shia...
They were Sunnis...

You need to study some history.

Shia said:
All Iran was a Sunni country...

True, but long before the time of the Safawieen.

Shia said:
You also need to read the history of Iran...
And their role in the Islamic Civilization...

I have. See above my post to gruggle.

Shia Islam

Premium Member

A-ManESL

I do strongly suspect that the term shia had a different meaning attached to it, then the denomination of Islam today. What is the Arabic meaning of the word Shia?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"shia" means "followers: members of a party". i'm not so sure it means the same as the present term "shia" either.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
The Quran and the Hadiths has been repeated and interpreted since the the prophet of Islam S.A.W was arrive...

So it's the same language we are using today.
This trial to refute this Hadith that prove the Shia is the true Islam will refute the Quran and all of the Hadith based on the claim that Arabic language today is different than the Arabic Language the prophet S.A.W was using.

eman resu

during the time of the Prophet (pbuh) the term "shia" was a general term meaning follower or referring to a certain party. once the muslim community was split into the 2 main groups, one group was named sunni (derived from Ahla Sunnah tul-Jamā‘ah, meaning followers of Muhammad pbuh) and the other group was named Shī‘atu ‘Alī (meaning followers of Ali).
from what i understand, your argument is that the quran claims that the followers of Ali are on the righteous path. while i do agree that the quran does claim that whomever supports Ali will indeed be in favor of Allah, i do not agree that only shia muslims are supporters of Ali. sunnis love and support Ali. if the name Ahla Sunnah tul-Jamā‘ah means follower of Muhammad pbuh, and the Prophet pbuh himself told the people to support Ali, doesnt that indirectly make sunnis supporters of Ali? we may not support him in the same way that shias do, but never the less we still love and support him. so all the quotes you referred to are talking about all muslims, not just shia muslims

Starsoul

Truth
There is a hadith that goes something like,

'That those who curse upon the companions of the Prophet SAWW, will not enter paradise."

will look into its details, have read it several times. None of the Ehlay sunnah ever show any disrespect towards the Sahaba Karam (pbut), and it is absolutely mandatory for all believers to show the Sahaba utmost respect. I have heard that people belonging to shia sect, have no regard for the first 3 caliphs, and that sentiment is abnormally displayed.. It is extremely strange for all people in Islam, and outside of it, to witness such a bias, because the first 3 Caliphs were with the Prophet Muhammad SAWW, ALL the Time!

There were differences in the personalities of all and all had great regimes and very strong characters, they have been named to be the people who are bound to enter Jannah, then how can the shia sect even engage in show of dis-respect for them?