• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stolen generation

PureX

Veteran Member
PureX
Do you hold a similar view regarding native Americans ?
Yes, but the native americans that I have personally known did not lose their self-respect to the intense degree that Australia's native people's did, because even though we were brutal and murderous here in the U.S., we did not systematically assassinate native american culture at every possible level the way the government did in Australia. The native americans I know will freely admit to the problems on the reservation with alcohol, drugs, and violence, yet they were also working hard at finding their own ways of dealing with these, and of assimilating into "white society" while remaining true to their own culture.

Somkid

I think in general we should not be held accountable for the "sins" of the father. Human beings were cruel to each other in general in the past. Who should apologize for the crusades? Who is responsible for the Mores? My ancestors in the North of the USA never owned slaves but are being asked to pay reparations when they paid in blood to end slavery, I understand that wasn't the main point of the war but I think you can see my point. There have been horrors through out history and we have to remember so we do not commit them again but I think it is time for us to forgive and realize the people alive today are not responsible.

PureX

Veteran Member
Severe violence and damage was done. It will take a long time and several generations to repair it, and the repair will require serious internal changes on BOTH SIDES.

wednesday

Jesus
OK, so now you understand the true depth of the damage that's been done. The next step is to take some responsibility for having done it. It was YOUR white European culture that did this to them. And that is still doing it to them with attitudes just like the one you're displaying, now, as you blame them for not adopting your European lifestyle after your European culture has totally trashed theirs. They were treated like dumb animals, and even hunted and killed as pests. And now you're surprised that so many of them have no self respect? Can't you see how difficult it would be to embrace a culture that has done this to you, and is continuing to do it to you in a thousand subtle ways even today?

It's not about throwing money or European goodies at them. That's still just treating them like nothing more than the unwanted evidence of your own collective guilt. Somehow, you're going to have to REALLY acknowledge what your culture has done, and is still doing, and then WORK at changing those behaviors and attitudes within yourselves, so that you can finally embrace these people as your brothers and sisters ... and as your equals. Only then will they finally begin to see themselves that way.

Why should generation x and y who weren't even alive when this happened pay them. Im not "sorry'', i wasn't alive when this happened so therefore its not my responsibility, its unfortunate yes but i don't see why we should pay for it. Say sorry as a government yes, but personally whats the point in being sorry. Its like germany having to be sorry for the holocaust today, they werren't even alive, so why apologise for something you didn't do? If im apologising for everything my ancestors did i'd go on for days.
Also, the aboriginal people just recieved over a billion dollars for nothing, im pretty sure they can tap into that, its like New Zealand, paying the natives for being natives, im sure they could build hospitals and such for that.

PureX

Veteran Member
Why should generation x and y who weren't even alive when this happened pay them. Im not "sorry'', i wasn't alive when this happened so therefore its not my responsibility, its unfortunate yes but i don't see why we should pay for it. Say sorry as a government yes, but personally whats the point in being sorry. Its like germany having to be sorry for the holocaust today, they werren't even alive, so why apologise for something you didn't do? If im apologising for everything my ancestors did i'd go on for days.
Also, the aboriginal people just recieved over a billion dollars for nothing, im pretty sure they can tap into that, its like New Zealand, paying the natives for being natives, im sure they could build hospitals and such for that.
Everything you have, you have because your culture has given it to you, or has at least given you the opportunity to acquire it. Everything that they DON'T have, they lack because your culture has taken it away from them, or made it very difficult for them to get. And you, as an active member of your culture ARE responsible for what your culture has done to them, is doing to them, and will do to them in the future. You are a participant in your culture, so stop pretending that you're just some innocent individual. You're not. The policies that your culture and your government enacts, has enacted, and will enact in the future were done on your behalf, were done to your benefit, and are being done with your consent and participation unless you actively fight against it.

You are not an island in time and space. You are a member of a group. And you are responsible for what that group does, like it or not.

kai

ragamuffin
because there are people still alive who this has effected this is not ancient history the taking of aboriginal children is as near as 1969

kadzbiz

Dear PureX and Kai, you keep missing the point that there are people in our culture that don't and didn't agree with what was done and is being done to the aboriginals. Stop putting the yoke upon such people.

PureX

Veteran Member
Dear PureX and Kai, you keep missing the point that there are people in our culture that don't and didn't agree with what was done and is being done to the aboriginals. Stop putting the yoke upon such people.
Did the actively fight against it? Are they still fighting to repair the damage done? If so, then they've already taken responsibility for their own culture's bad behavior and are trying now to repair the damage. Good for them.

wednesday

Jesus
Did the actively fight against it? Are they still fighting to repair the damage done? If so, then they've already taken responsibility for their own culture's bad behavior and are trying now to repair the damage. Good for them.

Repairing the damage means giving them money, they've been given enough for doing nothing. Also i am innocent, im not old enough to vote, and would you in your right mind walk out to aboriginal communites and say sorry', my grandparents took your children, i think not.
You seem to not understand these people, they want money, but lack the intellect to deal with it, so we throw more money at them. My problem with it is i pay tax to them and yet i go to the emergency ward and have to wait 5 hours because the government gave aboriginals a few hundred million instead of building another hospital.

kai

ragamuffin

hey its your government apologizing not mine take it up with them ,i am just giving an opinion

kai

ragamuffin
Repairing the damage means giving them money, they've been given enough for doing nothing. Also i am innocent, im not old enough to vote, and would you in your right mind walk out to aboriginal communites and say sorry', my grandparents took your children, i think not.
You seem to not understand these people, they want money, but lack the intellect to deal with it, so we throw more money at them. My problem with it is i pay tax to them and yet i go to the emergency ward and have to wait 5 hours because the government gave aboriginals a few hundred million instead of building another hospital.

so its a racial view with you then, what do you suggest you do with the "abbos"

wednesday

Jesus
so its a racial view with you then, what do you suggest you do with the "abbos"

Not entirely no, i just disagree with giving "äboriginals" money when the common political goal at present is to ''únite'' Australia. I don't think this is possible when we are paying one group and not the other, its not the aboriginals that are doing it tough. Whole communities in north Queensland are flooded, they are key to our exports but will not see much government support.
What im trying to say in short is that throwing money at the aboriginals as compensation for the 'stolen generation' could be best used somewhere else. I can't see what money will do to ease their suffering when unfortunately prospects for aboriginals are rare outside their own communities. Do you understand my point or do you think im just being racist?:rolleyes:

kai

ragamuffin
Not entirely no, i just disagree with giving "äboriginals" money when the common political goal at present is to ''únite'' Australia. I don't think this is possible when we are paying one group and not the other, its not the aboriginals that are doing it tough. Whole communities in north Queensland are flooded, they are key to our exports but will not see much government support.
What im trying to say in short is that throwing money at the aboriginals as compensation for the 'stolen generation' could be best used somewhere else. I can't see what money will do to ease their suffering when unfortunately prospects for aboriginals are rare outside their own communities. Do you understand my point or do you think im just being racist?:rolleyes:

i get your point but if it was white australians that had their children took away would you think they were entitled to compensation

wednesday

Jesus
i get your point but if it was white australians that had their children took away would you think they were entitled to compensation

A fair point. I would accept to pay them compensation if it wasn't for the fact that last year the Howard Government granted them an intervention ($200,000,000 +) in order to try and reduce mortality rates, and make their society comparable to ours. That is the main reason why i do not feel they deserve more money in this case.
To answer your question i'd want some kind of compensation, however, it would be wrong if i lived my life via government benefits.
Additionally, do you feel it is the responsibility of todays generation to compensate for the mistakes of the past, much like Germany still feels shame for the holocaust?

kai

ragamuffin
in the end its up to you if you feel shame or not! the same with Germany its up to them, the same with slavery ,the British empire etc etc etc the only difference is this is the most recent of these events and there are surviving victims

PureX

Veteran Member
It's like raping a woman and then throwing money at her to "forgive" what you've done. Of course it won't work. On top of the original humiliation, now you've made her a whore as well.

wednesday

Jesus
It's like raping a woman and then throwing money at her to "forgive" what you've done. Of course it won't work. On top of the original humiliation, now you've made her a whore as well.

What do you suggest we do about reconcillioation towards the stolen generation then? We've taken the leap and said sorry, what now?