• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stolen generation

wednesday

Jesus
Saying sorry to the aboriginals, what is your view?

Personally why should we apologise for something we didn't do? Why should we pay compensation, money won't solve a thing?

PureX

Veteran Member
Saying sorry to the aboriginals, what is your view?

Personally why should we apologise for something we didn't do? Why should we pay compensation, money won't solve a thing?
You should apologize because you have benefited, and the aboriginals have suffered greatly, for what your parents did. And you should understand that a mere apology will not amend the terrible damage that's been done to them. The next step, then, is to begin looking for ways that this damage can be amended. That will likely cost some money, but it will likely require you to change the way you think, too.

What you should not be doing, is whining about how you are so innocent, and so you shouldn't have to do anything to help out the victims of such terrible cultural and societal injustice.

kadzbiz

I find the idea of trying to exterminate a race abhorent. Yes, the current government needed to apologise for the acts of previous governments. Should I say sorry however? Why should I? I didn't come to this country until 1970, with my parents, as did many many other people. Let me also say this to all of you who don't realise; millions, probably billions, of dollars have been spent on trying to give the aboriginals of this country a helping hand, major advantages and a great deal of benefits, but what have the majority done with this aid? Wasted it. Not taken advantage of it to better their lives, but squandered it in alcohol abuse and destroying the very structures that have been put in place to assist them. How do I know? I have seen it first hand, have dealt with many of them and have very close friends that have worked in aboriginal communities for the past 20 years. I am not a racist. I give everyone a fair go and treat everyone as I would want to be treated. I even had an aboriginal girlfriend for some time. I am sick to death with the continual unjust condemnation of the very people that are trying to assist these aboriginal communities. I couldn't care less if a flood of compensation claims follow this national sorry day, but I'll tell you now, most of any payments made to these aboriginal collectives will be completely wasted. Too few aboriginal people have made the most of their entitlements and made something of themselves, and I am proud of the ones that have. IMHO, it appears to me that the aboriginal people themselves don't really know what they want. They talk of living like they once did, but at the same time want the lifestyle of many middle class individuals in the cities. They can't have it both ways. And I mean that literally as I've seen many many aboriginal families get given houses and cars because they "needed" them and then just totally trash these same things. Those that I have seen like this have just no respect for themselves, their culture, their families or their society. It is a very sad situation. I don't know what the answer is, but it will not be resolved in my lifetime.

kai

ragamuffin
I find the idea of trying to exterminate a race abhorent. Yes, the current government needed to apologise for the acts of previous governements. Should I say sorry however? Why should I? I didn't come to this country until 1970, with my parents, as did many many other people. Let me also say this to all of you who don't realise; millions, probably billions, of dollars have been spent on trying to give the aboriginals of this country a helping help, major advantages and a great deal of benefits, but what have the majority done with this aid? Wasted it. Not taken advantage of it to better their lives, but squandered it in alcohol abuse and destroying the very structures that have been put in place to assist them. How do I know? I have seen it first hand, have dealt with many of them and have very close friends that have worked in aboriginal communities for the past 20 years. I am not a racist. I give everyone a fair go and treat everyone as I would want to be treated. I even had an aboriginal girlfriend for some time. I am sick to death with the continual unjust condemnation of the very people that are trying to assist these aboriginal communities. I couldn't care less if a flood of compensation claims follow this national sorry day, but I'll tell you now, most of any payments made to these aboriginal collectives will be completely wasted. Too few aboriginal people have made the most of their entitlements and made something of themselves, and I am proud of the ones that have. IMHO, it appears to me that the aboriginal people themselves don't really know what they want, They talk of living like they once did, but at the same time want the lifestyle of many middle class individuals in the cities. They can't have it both ways. And I mean that literally as I've seen many many aboriginal families get given houses and cars because they "needed" them and then just totally trash these same things. Those that I have seen like this have just no respect for themselves, their culture, their families or their society. It is a very sad situation. I don't know what the answer is, but it will not be resolved in my lifetime.

who asked you to say sorry?

and i am not surprised the aboriginal people dont know what they want are you, the whole culture is very nearly destroyed, languages lost , they have very nearly all been converted to christianity there only identity seems to be a "blackfela", they have only had the right to vote since 1962.

and just so people know what stolen generations is all about

The Stolen Generations (or Stolen Generation) is a term used to describe the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, usually of mixed descent, who were removed from their families by Australian government agencies and church missions, under various state acts of parliament, denying the rights of parents and making Aboriginal children wards of the state, between approximately 1869 and (officially) 1969. It was asserted that these children of mixed descent were not accepted by their communities and were therefore at high risk of harm. The policy typically involved the removal of children into internment camps, orphanages and other institutions.[1]

i lived in australia for six years and i as a human being am sorry for what they have had to go through.

Stolen Generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PureX

Veteran Member
I find the idea of trying to exterminate a race abhorent. Yes, the current government needed to apologise for the acts of previous governements. Should I say sorry however? Why should I? I didn't come to this country until 1970, with my parents, as did many many other people. Let me also say this to all of you who don't realise; millions, probably billions, of dollars have been spent on trying to give the aboriginals of this country a helping help, major advantages and a great deal of benefits, but what have the majority done with this aid? Wasted it. Not taken advantage of it to better their lives, but squandered it in alcohol abuse and destroying the very structures that have been put in place to assist them. How do I know? I have seen it first hand, have dealt with many of them and have very close friends that have worked in aboriginal communities for the past 20 years. I am not a racist. I give everyone a fair go and treat everyone as I would want to be treated. I even had an aboriginal girlfriend for some time. I am sick to death with the continual unjust condemnation of the very people that are trying to assist these aboriginal communities. I couldn't care less if a flood of compensation claims follow this national sorry day, but I'll tell you now, most of any payments made to these aboriginal collectives will be completely wasted. Too few aboriginal people have made the most of their entitlements and made something of themselves, and I am proud of the ones that have. IMHO, it appears to me that the aboriginal people themselves don't really know what they want, They talk of living like they once did, but at the same time want the lifestyle of many middle class individuals in the cities. They can't have it both ways. And I mean that literally as I've seen many many aboriginal families get given houses and cars because they "needed" them and then just totally trash these same things. Those that I have seen like this have just no respect for themselves, their culture, their families or their society. It is a very sad situation. I don't know what the answer is, but it will not be resolved in my lifetime.
OK, so now you understand the true depth of the damage that's been done. The next step is to take some responsibility for having done it. It was YOUR white European culture that did this to them. And that is still doing it to them with attitudes just like the one you're displaying, now, as you blame them for not adopting your European lifestyle after your European culture has totally trashed theirs. They were treated like dumb animals, and even hunted and killed as pests. And now you're surprised that so many of them have no self respect? Can't you see how difficult it would be to embrace a culture that has done this to you, and is continuing to do it to you in a thousand subtle ways even today?

It's not about throwing money or European goodies at them. That's still just treating them like nothing more than the unwanted evidence of your own collective guilt. Somehow, you're going to have to REALLY acknowledge what your culture has done, and is still doing, and then WORK at changing those behaviors and attitudes within yourselves, so that you can finally embrace these people as your brothers and sisters ... and as your equals. Only then will they finally begin to see themselves that way.

kadzbiz

who asked you to say sorry?

Me personally, nobody. Me collectively as an Australian, all aboriginals.

and i am not surprised the aboriginal people dont know what they want are you, the whole culture is very nearly destroyed, languages lost , they have very nearly all been converted to christianity there only identity seems to be a "blackfela", they have only had the right to vote since 1962.

I've hardly ever seen an aboriginal at the polling booths or in any church.

i lived in australia for six years and i as a human being am sorry for what they have had to go through.

I'm not denying that what they went through wasn't terribly traumatic, but how do you mean you are "sorry" for what they went through? That doesn't make any sense. You can feel sad for them, pity for them even deeply hurt for them, but how can you be sorry for it? You can't be sorry for something you didn't do or for something that resulted from what you failed to do.

Did you live in an aboriginal community for those six years? How much interaction did you actually have with aboriginals in your time here?

kai

ragamuffin
Me personally, nobody. Me collectively as an Australian, all aboriginals.
are you an Australian then i thought you didnt get there till 1972

I've hardly ever seen an aboriginal at the polling booths or in any church.
no if i was a aboriginal i wouldnt go there either

I'm not denying that what they went through wasn't terribly traumatic, but how do you mean you are "sorry" for what they went through? That doesn't make any sense. You can feel sad for them, pity for them even deeply hurt for them, but how can you be sorry for it? You can't be sorry for something you didn't do or for something that resulted from what you failed to do.

Did you live in an aboriginal community for those six years? How much interaction did you actually have with aboriginals in your time here?

if it makes no sense for someone to feel sorry for someone else then i cant explain it to you. and hey i had lots of aboriginal friends but does that matter a jot , its like saying "i know lots of black people i am not a racist" its a cliche. i am not accusing you of anything so dont be defensive you have your opinion i have mine.

kadzbiz

.....It was YOUR white European culture that did this to them......... Can't you see how difficult it would be to embrace a culture that has done this to you, and is continuing to do it to you in a thousand subtle ways even today? ........Somehow, you're going to have to REALLY acknowledge what your culture has done, and is still doing, and then WORK at changing those behaviors and attitudes within yourselves, so that you can finally embrace these people as your brothers and sisters ... and as your equals. Only then will they finally begin to see themselves that way.

PureX, with all due respect, MY European Culture DID NOT do anything to them. You don't even know where I am from. Why do you have this perception that nobody knows how to WORK with aboriginal people? I don't have an "attitude" about them at all. I am telling you exactly what I have experienced directly in my life and there are MANY aboriginal people WORKING with aboriginals that are having the same issues as every EUROPEAN CULTURED Australian. Treat them like equals? They are getting treated BETTER than most caucasian Australians! They are being given everything they say they want and still aren't happy. I don't know what more they can possible have.

Y'know, I think a problem with some American views is that they are trying to compare the Australian aboriginal to the American Indian - big difference.

PureX

Veteran Member
They are being given everything they say they want and still aren't happy. I don't know what more they can possible have.
Perhaps what they want back is their self-respect. YOUR culture took that from them when it devastated their culture, under the presumption that they were ignorant stone-age primatives that needed to be "fixed" according to your own definitions of what human beings are supposed to be.

So how do you give them back their self-respect after so thoroughly and systematically destroying it? Do you really think that blaming them for not appreciating your guilt-gifts will do it? And how is that working out for ya? By your own admission it's not working too well.

PureX

Veteran Member
My point is that what your culture took from them was their self-respect. And what you tried to give them back was a house and a car. And that's why the compensation didn't work.

It's also why the apology is important.

kadzbiz

My point is that what your culture took from them was their self-respect. And what you tried to give them back was a house and a car. And that's why the compensation didn't work.

It's also why the apology is important.

I agree with the government's apology. Of all the things that are in place at the moment for the aboriginal people, I don't know what else can be done to help them regain their self respect.

kadzbiz

Of what little I've seen on the native American people, it looks as though they have a lot of self respect and are using what their governments have offered to their best advantage.