• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The spiritual message hidden in 'Star Wars'

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
May the Chi be with you.

The spiritual message hidden in 'Star Wars' - CNN

"Star Wars" is, at heart, a story about the rise and fall of an ancient religion.

When we meet the Jedis, in Episode I, they're mindfulness-meditating, axiom-spouting space monks...
Throughout "Star Wars," the Jedi talk often about mindfulness and concentration, attachment and interdependence, all key Buddhist ideas.
But there's more to spirituality in "Star Wars" than Buddhism. Like Zen itself, the saga blends aspects of Taoism and other religious traditions. "The Force," for example, sounds a lot like the Taoist idea of "chi," the subtle stream of energy that animates the world.
"Time it is," Yoda says, "for you to look past a pile of old books."

Some fans were aghast that Yoda would feign sacrilege against the Jedi tradition.

But when you look at the scene from a Buddhist lens, the meaning shifts.

Zen is full of stories about ancient masters trying to jolt their apprentices from mental ruts. In one ancient monastery, the students paid too much attention to Buddhist images, so the head monk torched them. ("If you see the Buddha, kill the Buddha," says a famous koan.)
In that light, maybe Yoda's apparent willingness to burn the "old pile of books" isn't really about texts, which he already knows are safely in Rey's possession. Maybe it isn't even about religion. It's just about Luke.
So perhaps the real spiritual message of "Star Wars" isn't about the end or beginning of organized religion. Maybe, like a good Zen teacher, it's a mirror showing us our own minds. Are we preoccupied with the past, concerned about the future, or paying attention to the needs in front of our noses?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I've read enough of politics being injected into Episode VIII, I don't favor an overabundance of any religion being dumped into the franchise.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just wait until we get to the gray Jedi. The recently re-cannonized philosophy of force wielderd who believe Sith and Jedi are part of the same coin. Sith make no illusions that they'e using force for personal gains, with power stemming from emotional involvement. But the Jedi are too cold, aloof and emotionally devoid, and will always fight any Sith they find. But they'e as likely to push the coin off balance as the Sith are.
Gray Jedi believe both emotion and emotional control in equal measure (pushing the coin down from its rim rather than the sides) is the proper way to achieve balance.

(For star wars nerds the recanonization of this philosophy was in the Bendu character of Rebels.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
May the Chi be with you.

The spiritual message hidden in 'Star Wars' - CNN

"Star Wars" is, at heart, a story about the rise and fall of an ancient religion.

When we meet the Jedis, in Episode I, they're mindfulness-meditating, axiom-spouting space monks...
Throughout "Star Wars," the Jedi talk often about mindfulness and concentration, attachment and interdependence, all key Buddhist ideas.
But there's more to spirituality in "Star Wars" than Buddhism. Like Zen itself, the saga blends aspects of Taoism and other religious traditions. "The Force," for example, sounds a lot like the Taoist idea of "chi," the subtle stream of energy that animates the world.
"Time it is," Yoda says, "for you to look past a pile of old books."

Some fans were aghast that Yoda would feign sacrilege against the Jedi tradition.

But when you look at the scene from a Buddhist lens, the meaning shifts.

Zen is full of stories about ancient masters trying to jolt their apprentices from mental ruts. In one ancient monastery, the students paid too much attention to Buddhist images, so the head monk torched them. ("If you see the Buddha, kill the Buddha," says a famous koan.)
In that light, maybe Yoda's apparent willingness to burn the "old pile of books" isn't really about texts, which he already knows are safely in Rey's possession. Maybe it isn't even about religion. It's just about Luke.
So perhaps the real spiritual message of "Star Wars" isn't about the end or beginning of organized religion. Maybe, like a good Zen teacher, it's a mirror showing us our own minds. Are we preoccupied with the past, concerned about the future, or paying attention to the needs in front of our noses?
That brings to mind that in this film series it is part of Luke's final lesson. In that film his lessons are 1. learn from failure 2. share your failure 3. start over

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Star Wars is my all time favourite movie and franchise, but I still caution against overanalysis. Lucas basically copied from Kurosawa. Any Eastern mysticism in the original film was largely coincidental, but having been established it needed to be built on in later films. Beyond basic themes of "good versus evil" the religious and spiritual significance is either made up, or lifted directly from other traditions. If you get some sort of deeper meaning from the films, great, but whatever that meaning is has more to do with the viewer's interpretation and projection rather than anything necessarily intended by the creators.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It's always been there. Since day 1, Star Wars has been "ninjas in space," using philosophies that are heavily rooted in Eastern philosophies.
Eh, more like Samurai. And the philosophy has been there, yes, but there's never been anything to the level of "sacred texts" of even Jedi and Sith codes presented in ways that are overly-obvious as religious overtones. Adding "sacred texts of the Jedi" is on-par, to me, in annoyance level as people who find the need to equate every hero in fiction to Jesus.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Star Wars is my all time favourite movie and franchise, but I still caution against overanalysis. Lucas basically copied from Kurosawa. Any Eastern mysticism in the original film was largely coincidental, but having been established it needed to be built on in later films. Beyond basic themes of "good versus evil" the religious and spiritual significance is either made up, or lifted directly from other traditions. If you get some sort of deeper meaning from the films, great, but whatever that meaning is has more to do with the viewer's interpretation and projection rather than anything necessarily intended by the creators.
I figured one could always join Jediism.

The only religion I know of that's been created off a movie franchise.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
It's like growing up, everything seems black and white. Then you find shades of things. And you realize that the good side of things has flaws, and nothing is ideal.

You know you don't want to be a Sith. But the jedi are often blind, and archaic, and totally out of touch with self and selflessness, and they don't seem so good after all, but at least they have decency about things.

Kind of makes you wish there was a good dark side, that balances emotions with the light side.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought the message was that spectacular special effects
can compensate for bad writing & wooden acting?
(It really worked for me in the 1976 movie.)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I just got the taste of disappointment out of my mouth from this film last week but overall the movie failed in almost every regard as far as its notion of religion. All it said is that The Force is everywhere and everything, which WE ALREADY KNOW! Anybody who got further interpretation from this is seriously lacking in their view of Star Wars as a whole which does not surprise me with the new fans just getting into it. The franchise is old and classic at the end of the day. But when you have character that do not act rational in their circumstances it only begs the question of plot thinning and thickening being used for power deliver.

Star Wars always had a religious undertone and that is fine if you ask me but you must give it more breath and let the films be given more variety and room to explain these concepts. Putting it on the rails will never give it a message forth tuning into.