• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The son of God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do people believe about the title
The son of God , is the statement true fact or is it metaphorical ?
From an academic perspective, it was a title of Caesar that the authors of the gospels used as a challenge to Roman authority, calling Jesus the Son of God, which was Caesar's title.

From a theological perspective, the term "Son of God" has mystical and metaphysical qualities to it, which evokes a spiritual response. The Son of God, was a Manifestation of the Divine itself in human form. To contemplate such a matter, inspires the soul. And hence, it is spiritual in nature.

But as far as it being a fact or a metaphor goes, well, that depends with which eyes you are looking at it with. From a theological perspective, it is truth. From a scientific perspective, that question is irrelevant. It's a theological perspective. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't put any special significance or divinity to what's written about christ and his biblical character. According to scripture, I'd interpret it as god's prophet or human messenger to whom was commissioned by god to teach everyone about his father. As for the term son of god, I don't see it more than what it reads. It would make senses that god would call jesus "his son" meaning one who has a subordinate relationship with his son. Kind of like prophet but son/father sounds more personal, I guess. Though christian interpretation is quite different, only insofar their interpretation is based on their experiences rather than what's read as is.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For me, I believe most, if not all, Christians believe this literally, that the Virgin Mary conceived through God's grace, and that God was the father of the Lord Jesus Christ.

We declare, pronounce, and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.

Immaculate Conception - Wikipedia
What makes you believe that most, if not all, Christians believe this literally? I think there are more than just a smattering of Christians who understand the difference between literal facts, and theological perspectives. There is a very popular market for modern scholars that speak to more modernistic perspectives within the Christian faith. I would venture to say that a sizable portion of Christians, at one level or another, understand the difference between religious symbolisms and scientific facts.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not sure if you're asking me what all people believe, what Christians believe, or what I believe.

I can only tell you what I believe.

For me, I believe most, if not all, Christians believe this literally, that the Virgin Mary conceived through God's grace, and that God was the father of the Lord Jesus Christ.

We declare, pronounce, and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.

Immaculate Conception - Wikipedia
Indeed. It's part of Nicene Christianity to believe those things, which the vast majority of Christians are part of.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are three basic Christologies in the NT.

The gnostic-flavored view of Paul and of the author of John is that Jesus was a divine being created by God who created the universe and later came to earth as God's envoy. However, the resulting Jesus is said in both cases to be descended from David. The details of Jesus' parentage are never given, but one suitable possibility is that the heavenly Jesus added his spirit to the zygote of an otherwise straightforward Jewish conception.

If that's right, then the Jesus of Paul and of John is the 'son' ─ creation ─ of God in spirit but not corporeally.

The Jesus of Mark is an ordinary Jew, with ordinary parents, until JtB baptises him, at which point the heavens open and God adopts Jesus as his son, on the model of God's adoption of David as [his] son in Psalm 2:7.

So the Jesus of Mark is the son of God by adoption, not genetically.

The Jesus of the author of Matthew and the Jesus of the author of Luke both result from the divine insemination of a virgin. Hence they have God's Y-chromosome.

So they are literal as well as spiritual sons of God.

Mark's is easily the most credible version (a relative statement ─ God having human children is not essentially credible however it's said to be done).

Last edited:

Bree

Statement of fact.

The bible says that Jesus was the 'firstborn of all creation' So he was the first direct creation of God Jehovah. And when he was sent to earth to be born here as a human, he was born to a virgin girl because he did not have a human father. And so in that sense he can also be called 'Son of God'.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What makes you believe that most, if not all, Christians believe this literally?

Experience. I've had many theological discussion with Christians, not only on this forum, but IRL, and was raised among them. I have encountered maybe a handful on the internet if that, that do not believe this literally. I have yet to encounter a Christian IRL that doesn't believe this literally.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Experience. I've had many theological discussion with Christians, not only on this forum, but IRL, and was raised among them. I have encountered maybe a handful on the internet if that, that do not believe this literally. I have yet to encounter a Christian IRL that doesn't believe this literally.
I've met quite a number of them, and attended a Christian church where none of them were literalists and even included atheists among them. I've also attended a Christian church where all of them were literalists. But beyond personal anecdotal evidences, the fact the authors like Borg, Crossan, Mack, Pagels, Spong, et. al, continue to publish Christian books for modern Christians as well as other interested parties alike for the past several decades, would seem to indicate there's more than just a handful of Christians who are no longer in that premodern, mythic-literal reality.

In fact, James Fowler's research found in his book Stages of Faith (which I've read through multiple times), shows that there are 4 stages beyond mythic-literal beliefs (Stage 2), though you could hold the Stage 3 is just tacitly accepting literalism without really challenging it, but not rigidly so. So at least 3 full stages beyond literalism and a premodern reality.

The statistical distribution of these higher stages beyond the literal stage, are substantial enough in the population that he researched, that he was able to map out a pattern clearly distinguishable from the earlier stages. That means, it's objectively real, it's not rare, nor unheard of at all.

This is a summary of Fowler's stages, and in looking for them, you'll see almost all of them represented right here on RF, just as they are IRL, as Fowler's research shows.
Handout 1: Stages of Faith Development

I would place myself largely into the Stage 5 faith category where I am at now today, yet still struggling with an allergy to organized religion in general. It's all part of it. But I am at a place I am able to reintegrate some of the earlier important symbolisms, into a broader, more inclusive and comfortable acknowledgement of inner truths, beyond the literalistic perspectives, which clearly have an issue when running into a more rationality-based perspective. Reason is no longer an enemy of faith, but a set of eyes to help keep it grounded in reality.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God is in science theorising for human sciences products.

From O earth mass. Said mass O earth one body owned it's heavens. So spirits multi came out of one body.

The theory comparing said God O earth O planet birthed it's spirit.

Makes say I am the son of a father male man human. I get birthed by a female.

So you are a son of a female human mother.

Not a son of a God.

Rationally O earth existed. Status science no science. Heavens was inside O mass as god.

No heavens no life inside heavens just thinking origin O one mass.

Stated by theism intelligence so no man is God or a Son of god.

Our bio life in science is mainly water with minerals.

We are not a gas. Spirit CH evaluations gases.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

There are many "sons of God" mentioned in scripture....some created....some adopted.
If you believe that God is the Creator, why does reference to Jesus as "the Son of God" have to be metaphorical?

Jesus was the first of God's creations. (Revelation 3:14) He was a genuine "son"..."only begotten" (monogenes) because he is the only direct creation of his Father.....all other things came through the agency of the Son. (Colossians 1:15-17)

There is only one other human mentioned in the scriptures who was a "son of God" and that was Adam, (Luke 4:38) being a direct creation, rather than being born of a woman.

The Bible calls Jesus “the Son of God”.Unlike any other human Jesus lived in heaven before coming to the earth.Jesus said:”I have come down from heaven»John 6:38
The Bible teaches that Jesus was God’s first creation. He was a mighty spirit who lived in heaven. He worked alongside Jehovah to make other spirit persons, called angels, as well as the physical universe and humans. (Colossians 1:15, 16)
Jesus perfectly reflected God’s qualities so well that he could say”whoever has seen me has seen the Father also”.
Also Jesus was a prophet and a miracle worker who taught the truth about God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe.....Adam is a CHOSEN son of God
not the first to walk this earth
but the first to walk with God

Jesus as Son of God must be allowed
for He gave instruction how to pray......Our Father

in recital.....you are declaring yourself......a son of God

heaven hears it
so too the devil

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Dunno about what Christians might tell you, but as a Deist I believe that you yourself are a tiny part of God. Only very small part mind you.
But then, so is Dolly duck in our garden.
All atoms..... Tiny parts of God.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yeah. None of the eleven stood by him. I think, refused to recognize him or gave other evasive answers before they slipped out.
Well..... yeah.
Although apostle John pretended to have been a disciple who stayed to the bitter end.
Yeah..... they all scarpered.