• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Science Of Delusion

Earthling

David Henson
And the figuring it out proved that the simple assumption was impossible...didn't it?

I have no idea. I only post stuff like that because I know it will trip their wire. Push their button.

"I've decided to stop any future health care that is science based due to all of the abuse that has been heaped upon me in the name of "science." As it turns out, most of it actually comes from more religious inclinations, except for a few medical devices that were derived from the manufacturing of tools to extract monkey paws from experimentation tables turns out are also useful in abortion procedures, says Milwaukee Minnesota man, early this morning . . ."

People For The Ethical Treatment Of Believers

It's a joke. Calm down. Relax. Take it easy. Watch an episode of Nova.

It's a joke. Calm down. Relax. Take it easy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have no idea. I only post stuff like that because I know it will trip their wire. Push their button.

"I've decided to stop any future health care that is science based due to all of the abuse that has been heaped upon me in the name of "science." As it turns out, most of it actually comes from more religious inclinations, except for a few medical devices that were derived from the manufacturing of tools to extract monkey paws from experimentation tables turns out are also useful in abortion procedures, says Milwaukee Minnesota man, early this morning . . ."

People For The Ethical Treatment Of Believers

It's a joke. Calm down. Relax. Take it easy. Watch an episode of Nova.

It's a joke. Calm down. Relax. Take it easy.

So should Milwaukee Minnesota man contract a disease requiring MRI scan to diagnose and perhaps cure he will instead cut off his nose to spite his face than be treated using a device invented by a Christian.

Some joke.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Creationists. You guys pick on those poor ignorant folks too much. Sure, they don't know the Bible and their ideas on creation are, well, almost as bad as yours, but cut them some slack, huh? Peas in a pod.

All people who believe that the Universe has been created by god is a creationist. No matter how scientifically hip that belief can be.

Do you think they are ignorant folks?

Ciao

- viole

Earthling

David Henson
All people who believe that the Universe has been created by god is a creationist. No matter how scientifically hip that belief can be.

Do you think they are ignorant folks?

Ciao

- viole

Well, first of all, however you define Creationist isn't necessarily the way I would define them, so. . .

tas8831

Regarding the firing of Mark Armitage as mentioned in the video: Looking into it as much as I could (I'm unwilling to pay to read his paper) it's apparent he went beyond the scope of scientific evidence to conclude that the triceratops tissue he was examining was evidence of a young earth, his religious belief. His law suit against the University even said, "his work is a reflection of his religious identity," a young earth creationist.* So, Armitage wasn't fired for "making dinosaur soft tissue discovery" as the video asserts (at the 2:30 mark)---it's certainly no surprise that a creationist video misrepresents the facts**---but for his conclusion about it. My guess is that the university fired him because they didn't feel that someone with such a bias, religious or otherwise, could be relied on to make impartial, objective assessments.

*source #25

** And of course, being a creationist video it's load with other misrepresentations as well, which is to be expected.

This is usually the case in the 'woe is me' creationist martyr claims. Jerry Bergman claimed Bowling Green (before the massacre, of course) let him go because of religious discrimination, but some documents emerged a few years ago showing that among other disturbing trends, he had very poor attendance due to attending creationism conferences all the time. Caroline Crocker claimed she was 'fired' for just 'mentioning ID' in a class - but she was in reality an adjunct, hired to teach a specific class, and she didn't 'just mention' ID, she took time out of the class to attack Darwin's character, and made a series of demonstrably false claims in her lecture (such as there being only 1 Archaeopteryx fossil, that the skeleton of hyracotherium is the same as the modern day hyrax, etc.).
And David Coppedge was fired from NASA not because he was a creationist, but because he was an overbearing jerk that tried to coerce his coworkers into watching ID videos even after being warned.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is usually the case in the 'woe is me' creationist martyr claims. Jerry Bergman claimed Bowling Green (before the massacre, of course) let him go because of religious discrimination, but some documents emerged a few years ago showing that among other disturbing trends, he had very poor attendance due to attending creationism conferences all the time. Caroline Crocker claimed she was 'fired' for just 'mentioning ID' in a class - but she was in reality an adjunct, hired to teach a specific class, and she didn't 'just mention' ID, she took time out of the class to attack Darwin's character, and made a series of demonstrably false claims in her lecture (such as there being only 1 Archaeopteryx fossil, that the skeleton of hyracotherium is the same as the modern day hyrax, etc.).
And David Coppedge was fired from NASA not because he was a creationist, but because he was an overbearing jerk that tried to coerce his coworkers into watching ID videos even after being warned.
Hey, great post. Do you have a source for these that I could look over?

tas8831

Hey, great post. Do you have a source for these that I could look over?

Not specifically - just things I recalled from readings on these topics in the past. Some of Crocker's slides were available on the net a few years ago, and some diligent bloggers archived them. I will see if I can locate them.

added in edit:
Easier than I thought:

Ode to Caroline Crocker

David Coppedge Trial: Final Order Issued

Jerry Bergman - RationalWiki
*this does not mention his poor attendance, but I had read that elsewhere... still looking...

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Caroline Crocker claimed she was 'fired' for just 'mentioning ID' in a class - but she was in reality an adjunct, hired to teach a specific class, and she didn't 'just mention' ID, she took time out of the class to attack Darwin's character, and made a series of demonstrably false claims in her lecture (such as there being only 1 Archaeopteryx fossil, that the skeleton of hyracotherium is the same as the modern day hyrax, etc.).
Plus, Crocker wasn't "fired"; her contract wasn't renewed (which is fairly common with adjuncts). And despite her claim (in "Expelled") of having been "blackballed to the point where no one would hire her", she went on to teach at another university.

Normally I'd help @Skwim out and give the link to NCSE's "Expelled Exposed" site, but it seems to be down right now.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not specifically - just things I recalled from readings on these topics in the past. Some of Crocker's slides were available on the net a few years ago, and some diligent bloggers archived them. I will see if I can locate them.

added in edit:
Easier than I thought:

Ode to Caroline Crocker

David Coppedge Trial: Final Order Issued

Jerry Bergman - RationalWiki
*this does not mention his poor attendance, but I had read that elsewhere... still looking...
Thanks. :thumbsup: