• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Satanic Bible Discussion

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
darkendless said:
If people were truelly sorry, they would have realised that they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Unless you can support this with evidence, I will have to regard it as dogma.

darkendless said:
Humans are doomed to repeat history because we give too many chances.

This is (like everything else) true to an extent. Humans would also be left to repeat history if we gave too little chances. We become fools if we mold ourselves into Darth Vader.

darkendless said:
They're right, we're foolish to supress our animal instincts like Christianity would have us do.

If we are solely animals, then Christianity is simply a superstructure of our animality.

darkendless said:
We are not better than any other animal. I hate the elitest attaitude that somehow humans are more important than everything else.

And here I always thought pride was a central virtue of Satanism. :sarcastic

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Unless you can support this with evidence, I will have to regard it as dogma.

Its not something you can support with evidence, its my opinion which is yet to be disproven.
I'm not sure what you would want as evidence anyway?

This is (like everything else) true to an extent. Humans would also be left to repeat history if we gave too little chances. We become fools if we mold ourselves into Darth Vader.

Sadly too few learn from their mistakes. In my experience giving people a chance to redeem a mistake removes their guilt, thus they tend to forget that they've made a mistake the first time.

If we are solely animals, then Christianity is simply a superstructure of our animality.

If we're more than animals i'd like to see some evidence of it. This would be evidence disproving that we share many traits with animals. Satanism teaches us to embrace rather than supress our natural instincts. Christianity is a product of our evolved animal minds and a means to control the masses.

And here I always thought pride was a central virtue of Satanism. :sarcastic
[/quote]

Pride or arrogance? I don't care what virtue is satanic i can't stand people who rate themselves as better than another. Having pride does not mean everything outside our own space is superflous.
My view of satanic pride is have self respect for starters.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Careful you guys. I'm sure someone can move this last part of the thread over into the debate section for you if you want.

I wasn't trying to get anything negative going about satanism. It can have its pros and cons like everything else ya know.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Careful you guys. I'm sure someone can move this last part of the thread over into the debate section for you if you want.

I wasn't trying to get anything negative going about satanism. It can have its pros and cons like everything else ya know.

Its not really a debate. Its just a hearty discussion :)

GiantHouseKey

Darkness said:
And here I always thought pride was a central virtue of Satanism.
Or to put it more exactly:
7) Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all

Satanism says have pride but it also says you are no better than any other animal. Also says don't be counterproductive with your pride. Basically, have a fat ego as long as it doesn't backfire (Lose friends etc.)

Unlike the bible, the satanic bible is not a book to be followed to the letter. Almost all satanists would practice at least some variation on the LaVeyen style of Satanism. Whereas Christians says 'In the bible it says do x action so I have to do x action in my life', satanists are much more layed back. After all, LaVey was his own man and everybody is different, so what worked for him isn't going to work for everybody.

GhK

GabrielWithoutWings

That quote seems like it is isn't talking about the act of forgiving another, but asking another for forgiveness when it is beneficial to you.

Also, forgiving when it is only beneficial to you, wouldn't really be forgiving would it? It is more like, a self-centered strategic course of action, or something. The person isn't forgiven. lol. The mock-forgiveness is means to whatever end you are looking for. Right?

If you're looking to forgive when it's NOT beneficial to you, then why would call yourself a Satanist in the first place? I'd think a person would be closer to "right hand" paths with a mindset like that.

Satanism is all about self-centered gratuitousness.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I have read the Satanic Bible and actually have a copy of it sitting around somewhere. I do agree with much of it's philosophy and find it a much better read than the Christian Bible, which I find rather boring and unbelievable with too many fantasy-like stories. At least the Satanic Bible is more down to earth and realistic. More people should read it. It would do them good I think.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I have read the Satanic Bible and actually have a copy of it sitting around somewhere. I do agree with much of it's philosophy and find it a much better read than the Christian Bible, which I find rather boring and unbelievable with too many fantasy-like stories. At least the Satanic Bible is more down to earth and realistic. More people should read it. It would do them good I think.

I think 1 advantage the Satanic bible has over the Christian one is that its had about 1900 years of life and development to account for. The Christian bible is still being tweaked and changed so that things written so long ago still have some use today. A simple fact though is we've changed and Christianity has to as well.
Then again, satanism doesn't have a few hundred fat cat bishops refusing to change their hypocrisy because they're used to having their isolated section of the world at their feet.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I definately agree that Satanism shouldn't be followed to the letter as written in the SB. It is a great stepping stone for one to follow for a while, to learn what they truly believe, and then use it (Satanism) as a foundation to establish their beliefs upon.
The biggest things Satanism offers that I draw upon in my own beliefs is:
-Self preservation
-Responsibility to the responsible
-""Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all,""
-Anti-herd conformity
- The Nine Satanic Sins
- The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth.

Wow... Thats a lot more than I though haha.

anth

The Guy Who Waves
I definately agree that Satanism shouldn't be followed to the letter as written in the SB. It is a great stepping stone for one to follow for a while, to learn what they truly believe, and then use it (Satanism) as a foundation to establish their beliefs upon.
The biggest things Satanism offers that I draw upon in my own beliefs is:
-Self preservation
-Responsibility to the responsible
-""Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all,""
-Anti-herd conformity
- The Nine Satanic Sins
- The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth.

Wow... Thats a lot more than I though haha.

When I was a LaVeyan Satanist, I mainly used it as a "stepping stone" (as The Hammer put it) and tried it out for size. During the time, I was in a inner crisis with my girlfriend leaving me, grades dropping, various failed suicide attempts, and so forth. As a result, I found comfort when I read LaVey's works (suprisingly.) It all seemed to make sense, and lived my life on those works to a small extent. To me, Satanism is a lifestyle that one should definitely give a shot. It isn't for everyone, but it's definitely something one should thoroughly explore to their heart's desire.

Sense then, I've given up most of LaVey's philosophies on life and took on my own. While I adopted some of his ideas into my own spiritual philosophy (along with various other peoples), I tend to keep away from going completely on LaVey's word.

Oh yes, The Hammer, of all the Satanic Sins or Rules of the Earth (can't remember which one this comes from, too lazy to get out the book:D), I personally see "stupidity" as one of (if not the) most important one.

GiantHouseKey

of all the Satanic Sins or Rules of the Earth (can't remember which one this comes from, too lazy to get out the book:D), I personally see "stupidity" as one of (if not the) most important one.

Anton LaVey agreed: It's number 1 sin ;)

GhK.

Daelach

Setian
Funny that the SB is claimed not to be open to interpretation - because interpreting is what gives meaning to a text. Every text must be interpreted in order to be understood. So "there is no interpretation" is nonsense. The actual meaning of that claim is "my interpretation is the only correct one".

There are quite a lot of more interpretations to the SB. Any text has to be read with author, targeted audience, time and place in mind - basics of hermeneutics. For example, Avon just wanted to get something from Lavey since his lectures were popular enough, so he copied great parts of Redbeard and Nietzsche - which, in itself, is nothing bad. Only that he didn't acknowledge these sources, especially concerning Redbeard, makes the SB a bit of a bootleg.

Another approach is that the SB is quite a telling document about the California of the 60s. Many things concerning e.g. sexuality are just common sense today, but in the days, they were not - otherwise, they would not have been worth writing them down. I mean, the SB doesn't tell anything about washing your hands after visiting the bathroom because this is just normal, no one would buy a book with such statements.

IMO, the SB can only be understood with the extremely bourgeois 50s in mind. The 60s saw the hippies, the political changes with the Vietnam war and the protest movement, Martin Luther King.. here in Germany, the 68 generation with their slogan "Under the gowns / Is the musty odour of a thousand years"(referring to the universities) blew the same trumpet. There were similar tendencies also east of the Iron Curtain (which, however, the USSR shut down in 1968). So the 60s were a time of change, and Lavey has to be seen in that context.