• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Same God?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm pretty thoroughly outside all monotheist religions, so I'm probably not an authority on the matter, but as far as I can tell... it seems to be kind of a "yes and no" situation.

The Christian Jehovah seems to shift in personality from the Old and New Testaments, but the Jewish Elohim/YHWH seems an entirely distinct figure from both, while the Islamic Allah seems kinda similar but still distinct from both. Yet the New Testament claims the God being presented is the same as the God that the people depicted in the Tanakh/Old Testament followed, and from what I remember, the Qur'an seemed to make a similar claim. Further complicating the matter is that in some forms of Christianity, Jehovah is a wholly singular figure (as Elohim/YHWH and Allah are described as being), while in others, he's a three-in-one kind of entity with the Trinity.

To me, it seems kinda similar to the question of whether the Hellenic Zeus is the same as the Roman Iupiter or not, or whether Freyja and Frigg are the same Goddess; with the key difference, of course, that there seems to be a lot more hostility regarding the matter among Christians and Muslims (it doesn't seem to matter to Jewish people as much).

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I agree that "yes" in a way they all believe in the God of Abraham but there are about
20,000 different denominations if Christians so who know for sure if the all follow the
exact same "god"?

World Christian Encyclopedia (David A. Barrett; Oxford University Press, 1982) apparently estimated almost 21,000 denominations, and the updated World Christian Encyclopedia (Barrett, Kurian, Johnson; Oxford Univ Press, 2nd edition, 2001) estimated at least 33,000. “Denomination” is defined as “an organised christian group within a country”.

From this web site: https://theway21stcentury.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/how-many-christian-denominations-worldwide/

I doubt any one person could be familiar enough with all the different denominations
to determine if the all follow the same Jehovah or not.

I'll go out on a bit of a limb and say the major American Churches follow the same God.
Hmmmmm????????????
NO!
Upon reflection that can't be true.
Many major Christian denominations preach that Jesus IS God and many preach that
Jesus, God, and the "Holy Spirit" are three separate entities.
Then there are the believers in the Holy Trinity that preach the Father, (God) the Son,
(Jesus) and the Holy Spirit (Ghost man) are one in the same but different. (huh?)
Confusing what?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In your opinion, do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe in the same God?

Ive concluded that according to all three there is only One God of Abraham.

I havent heard any denomni of any of the three faith say their god not the god of abraham. All of them say there is only one god. And all of them say he is the creator.

Its like describing a mother by three different persectives and titles. Some see the mothet as just the mother and other titles are roles she plays. Others see the mother's titles as separate persons (mothers) but say these persons are only one being (body).

That doesnt change they all say

1. One god of abraham
2. Creator
3. All knowing, justice, love

rosends

can we distinguish between the identical "ideas of god" in that god is, in all three systems, transcendent, omnipotent and eternal, and the actual manifestations of god via human experience, which posits three very different god figures?

By the way, this doesn't mean that I actually think that the three main Abrahamic religions share an idea of god, but the distinction is useful sometimes.

arthra

Baha'i
Yes indeed...When Abdul-Baha visited London in 1911 He was asked a question about the different religions... this is His response:

"The Reality of all is One. Truth is one. Religions are like the branches of one Tree. One branch is high, one is low and one in the centre, yet all draw their life from the one stem. One branch bears fruit and others are not laden so abundantly. All the Prophets are lights, they only differ in degree; they shine like brilliant heavenly bodies, each have their appointed place and time of ascension. Some are like lamps, some like the moon, some like distant stars, and a few are like the sun, shining from one end of the earth to the other. all have the same Light to give, yet they are different in degree."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If the exclusivist monotheist theology the Abrahamic religions allege is true - that there is only One True God - they would have to be believing in the same entity, wouldn't they? As there are no others? If they were believing in something other than the One True God, it would not be God by matter of definition.

Of course, granting that monotheism is true and that all other theistic perspectives are necessarily false is quite the leap, and obviously not one I'm going to favor as a non-monotheist.

cambridge79

They all definitely believe in the same god, problem is each one of them has a different idea of who this god is and what he wants.

By the way, if you think about it technically every monotheism must believe in the same god cause there can only be one god according to them.

rosends

If the exclusivist monotheist theology the Abrahamic religions allege is true - that there is only One True God - they would have to be believing in the same entity, wouldn't they? As there are no others? If they were believing in something other than the One True God, it would not be God by matter of definition.

Of course, granting that monotheism is true and that all other theistic perspectives are necessarily false is quite the leap, and obviously not one I'm going to favor as a non-monotheist.
I appreciate this point, but I wonder -- if I had a single scoop of ice cream behind my back, and asked three people what they believed was behind my back, one might say "tofu" one might say "chocolate ice cream" and one might say "vanilla ice cream." All believe in the existence of a single object behind my back, but they don't agree on what it is. Is it enough to say "we all believe that there is a single thing behind your back"? Or do the objects of belief have to be the same as well?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There is a wider difference between the God images within each of the traditions than between the traditions themselves.

Some people think God is very legalistic, keeping track of every sin for judgement. Others think God is more like a parent, trying to nudge us into happiness. Those are two of the many gods Abrahamic people worship, and they can be found in all three traditions.
Tom
ETA. The different gods can usually be found within any given mosque, church, or synagogue. Even within the same believer at different times. :)

buddhist

In theory, they may believe in the same god (e.g. "there is one immanent, eternal god above all"). In this sense, you could also say that many Hindus and some traditional native Americans also believe in the same god as those Abrahamic religions (e.g. Brahman, who is above all; or, the Great Spirit, who is also above all). So, in theory they could all be lumped together.

In practice, they do not believe in the same god. Considering the fact that the Abrahamic religions, especially Christianity, place importance - more or less - on correct belief, then, differing beliefs, however slight, varying from one group to the next (or even from one individual to the next), proves that they - in practice - believe and worship different gods.

So, my answer is "yes" and "no".

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
From Islam's point of view, Yes.
[21:26] And We sent no Messenger before thee but We revealed to him, saying, ‘There is no God but I; so worship Me alone.’

[2:137] Say ye: ‘We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob and his children, and what was given to Moses and Jesus, and what was given to all other Prophets from their Lord. We make no difference between any of them; and to Him we submit ourselves.’

[www.alislam.org/quran]

How much God revealed Himself to them and how much teaching they were given, that is another issue.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I appreciate this point, but I wonder -- if I had a single scoop of ice cream behind my back, and asked three people what they believed was behind my back, one might say "tofu" one might say "chocolate ice cream" and one might say "vanilla ice cream." All believe in the existence of a single object behind my back, but they don't agree on what it is. Is it enough to say "we all believe that there is a single thing behind your back"? Or do the objects of belief have to be the same as well?

I like your ice cream analogy. Is ice cream defined by its flavors, looks, and traits or is it defined by frozen milk, sugar, and water (I believe?)

All three believe there is ice cream. One believes it is ice but not ice at the same time. The other two believe it is chocolate while the other vanilla.

Yet they all believe its

1. One ice cream scoop
2. Same ingredients

The traits may seem to define ice cream to each particular party; but, looking from the outside in, (seeing the icecream itself) its still the same even if the rest of you cant see it as non abrahamics can.

David1967

Premium Member
I my opinion, they do. They don't all see Him in exactly the same way, but when you pray and when I pray, I believe that it is the same God who hears both our prayers.

Absolutely Katz. And isn't that what matters most?