• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Same God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In your opinion, do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe in the same God?
No.

Not even brothers living under the same roof and sharing the exact same Priests and Temple can be expected to believe in the same God.

Gods are very personal creations, despite a strong desire by many to believe theirs are shared by millions or billions of other people.

As a matter of fact, most people do not even keep the same God during a whole day, changing it without even realizing that.

And it is not a big deal, either; Gods have limited significance in religion and nearly none outside it.

Last edited:

Jumi

If there was god and it was only one, then some of them might be talking about the same one, but in contradictory ways. If that was the case so would some of the non-book religions.

rosends

I like your ice cream analogy. Is ice cream defined by its flavors, looks, and traits or is it defined by frozen milk, sugar, and water (I believe?)

All three believe there is ice cream. One believes it is ice but not ice at the same time. The other two believe it is chocolate while the other vanilla.

Yet they all believe its

1. One ice cream scoop
2. Same ingredients

The traits may seem to define ice cream to each particular party; but, looking from the outside in, (seeing the icecream itself) its still the same even if the rest of you cant see it as non abrahamics can.
But one says that you have tofu behind your back. Does tofu have the same ingredients? Is it served in scoops? Does it stop being tofu because that person calls it ice cream? Looking from the outside, are all three believing that the same essential thing is behind your back?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
EL was the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob.....

Then YHVH Elohim claims to be EL to Moses.

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God (El), and there is none else; Elohim are nothing like me.

There are still references within the Bible that YHVH Elohim, is part of the council of Elohim.

Psalms 82:1 A Psalm of Asaph. Elohim standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the Elohim.

There are also references to YHVH being appointed Israel as his people, just as we find from the Canaanite belief system; that EL is head of the Pantheon, and YHVH Elohim is one of his sons.

Deuteronomy 32:7-9 Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. (8) When the most High (EL) divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. (9) For the YHVH's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

So now onto Islam, which just becomes a mess, as you shouldn't try and build on another religion, without first understanding what you're getting into.

So is Allah EL, EL being the ultimate creator God, and Islam trying to correct the error of the Jews, by them following one of the sub deities?...The only issue with this is that, it then says Allah doesn't have children, yet EL clearly has done.

It could be right, that YHVH really is EL, and that Allah is another new name for him.... Talk about identity crisis. :innocent:

HonestJoe

The “God” of the Abrahamic faiths (and the wider faiths themselves) seem to have developed from the same source but they’ve all extensively changed, split, reinterpreted and redirected to the point that today, even followers of the same nominal faith don’t necessarily worship the same god.

Without wanting to sound disrespectful, I see it as similar to a classic novel being turning in to films, plays and TV shows. They’re all based on the same characters and stories but they often present them in very different ways and incorporate different themes and ideas, in part intentionally and in part as an inevitable function of the different media.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
As a(nother) Bahá'í on the forums, I concur fully with arthra's statement, as well as with others who've said so already that yes, of course, all FOUR (six, if you include Rastafari and Messianic Judaism) Abrahamic faiths believe in and worship the same God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
But one says that you have tofu behind your back. Does tofu have the same ingredients? Is it served in scoops? Does it stop being tofu because that person calls it ice cream? Looking from the outside, are all three believing that the same essential thing is behind your back?

I thought the question was "do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe in the same God?" and not "do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe the same things about their God?" If there is only one god, the only god to believe in is the one-god, as other "gods" are not gods. What one believes about that god (or how one understands that god and perceives that god as a finite human being) is a separate issue, isn't it? Or are you suggesting that only beliefs about one's gods matter, not the objective reality of that god?

rosends

I thought the question was "do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe in the same God?" and not "do you think all the Abrahamic faiths believe the same things about their God?" If there is only one god, the only god to believe in is the one-god, as other "gods" are not gods. What one believes about that god (or how one understands that god and perceives that god as a finite human being) is a separate issue, isn't it? Or are you suggesting that only beliefs about one's gods matter, not the objective reality of that god?
I don't think that it follows that if you and I each believe in a singular, all powerful/pervasive God, we both are thinking of the same God. God is not a "thing" as a reduction of all characteristics, devoid of any thing that makes the idea distinct from the generic.

If I have a spark plug behind my back, and you say "you have a thing behind your back which I think is ice cream" while another person says "you have a thing behind your back which I think is a flag of Uganda" even though you are both pointing to the existence of a thing and are thinking of the same generic "thing" there (in that my hand is not empty) there is no value in saying that the "things" are the same.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

How I see it, though, it is ice cream. I cant see it as tofu because the way believers of all three describe it, ice cream comes to mind.

This is taking out tofu (which I assume is Jesus-is-god christians). I understand how that can flip the switch, but like the above, I dont see nor read Jesus as God (dont see tofu). I see ice cream. Thats why its the same ingredients.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Does God exist separately from the conceptions of same? Personally, I very much doubt it.

Even if it somehow does, it seems very clear to me that for practical purposes God is not consistently the same even within specific sects of Islam or denominations of Christianity.

1AOA1

No.

Not even brothers living under the same roof and sharing the exact same Priests and Temple can be expected to believe in the same God.

Gods are very personal creations, despite a strong desire by many to believe theirs are shared by millions or billions of other people.

As a matter of fact, most people do not even keep the same God during a whole day, changing it without even realizing that.

And it is not a big deal, either; Gods have limited significance in religion and nearly none outside it.

One example is God is outside the things of the world and Christianity is to live outside the things of the world. The path of God is also a part o God, and is God. God is of great significance to the path.

Does God exist separately from the conceptions of same? Personally, I very much doubt it.

Even if it somehow does, it seems very clear to me that for practical purposes God is not consistently the same even within specific sects of Islam or denominations of Christianity.

If the practices differ, why are they given a name already assigned to a given practice? If the sharing of the "Islam" title is an indication of shared practice throughout, why are they said to have different Gods when the path of God is also a part of God, and is God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One example is God is outside the things of the world and Christianity is to live outside the things of the world. The path of God is also a part o God, and is God. God is of great significance to the path.

That is one possible perspective among many.

If the practices differ, why are they given a name already assigned to a given practice? If the sharing of the "Islam" title is an indication of shared practice throughout, why are they said to have different Gods when the path of God is also a part of God, and is God?

People rarely have the means to readily realize how divergent their understandings of the sacred are. Lacking more specific names (and often lacking the desire to admit divergence as well) they have no recourse but to call different things by the same name.

Crypto2015

Judaism and Christianity believe in the same God. That's why the Old Testament is included in the Bible. Islam believes in a different "god", who has a completely different character and who demands completely different things from people.