• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rise of the Digital Camera

Ostronomos

It was Kodak, in 1975, that first developed digital photography. However, they suppressed the technology which lead to their downfall as an industry.

Years after charged coupled devices were invented, the CMOS (short for Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) replaced this earlier technology. These are the two approaches to digital photography.

They both have at least one thing in common, color filters. These color filters filter incoming light and separate it into red, green and blue.

The red, green and blue is then collected by an "electron collector" which is a light-sensitive circuit and able to detect light intensity or light levels. This somehow produces a sum total collection of electrons which creates the image.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Photography and video technology has come a long way since I was young. I remember those old Polaroid cameras where the film developed instantly. That was a big deal, as it meant you didn't have to wait two weeks before getting your film developed. Then there were those Fotomat stores; I haven't seen those around in ages. Nowadays, people can take pictures and upload it to the internet where it can be viewed by billions of people worldwide and made into a cat gif.

Ostronomos

Photography and video technology has come a long way since I was young. I remember those old Polaroid cameras where the film developed instantly. That was a big deal, as it meant you didn't have to wait two weeks before getting your film developed. Then there were those Fotomat stores; I haven't seen those around in ages. Nowadays, people can take pictures and upload it to the internet where it can be viewed by billions of people worldwide and made into a cat gif.

That is a wonderful example of the magic of technology.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It was Kodak, in 1975, that first developed digital photography. However, they suppressed the technology which lead to their downfall as an industry.

Years after charged coupled devices were invented, the CMOS (short for Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) replaced this earlier technology. These are the two approaches to digital photography.

They both have at least one thing in common, color filters. These color filters filter incoming light and separate it into red, green and blue.

The red, green and blue is then collected by an "electron collector" which is a light-sensitive circuit and able to detect light intensity or light levels. This somehow produces a sum total collection of electrons which creates the image.

Zooming out (pun intended), I think it's fascinating how powerfully pictures and videos tap into human brains. I think we really have evolved as beings who gravitate towards stories in all forms.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Should I move this from the Philosophy subsection?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This topics reminds me of a George Carlin monologue where he laments how so many people were using camcorders to record everything. Back then, it was camcorders, but now every phone is a camcorder - and people are recording everything.

Ostronomos

This topics reminds me of a George Carlin monologue where he laments how so many people were using camcorders to record everything. Back then, it was camcorders, but now every phone is a camcorder - and people are recording everything.

I reject George Carlin as he is wrong about the Cosmic Creator. Proving his folly.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, I have a load of photographic equipment - 35mm enlarger and base, copying lights, various drums, trays, timers and such for a B & W darkroom (will do colour too) that I will never be using again. I see there are some places in the UK that will take them for resale and it's just a matter of getting round to passing them on. Bit of a niche interest now I suspect. Nice hobby whilst I was doing it though. :cool:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That is a wonderful example of the magic of technology.
It's not magic. It's the hard work of many people. Don't diminish their efforts.

I got my first digital camera in about 1994 and it had two modes. High rez (640 x 480) and low rez (320 x 240). The color reproduction was a bit iffy and it did not do well in low light conditons. I've had numerous ones since, each better than the last, but now just use my Samsung Galaxy smart phone.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is a bit sad that Kodak had such a headstart and not only failed to capitalize on it, but also suffered terribly from that failure.

Innovation is a marvelous thing, but certainly no effortless panacea. I don't know that it was within Kodak's means to pivot towards digital succesfully in due time, particularly given how that would harm the commercial viability of what was then very much their main product line.

Apparently (and expectedly) even for very big corporations it is very difficult to just let go of the bread earners.

To think that the main industry of CMOS production was a subsidiary of Commodore from 1976 to 1994... how different would the world be if the same corporation that created the Commodore 64 had also found the drive and means of spearheading a revolution in digital capture of images? Interestingly, MOS Technology was acquired by Commodore because it was in financial trouble of its own, and Commodore itself closed doors even earlier (in 1994) than MOS's successor (in 2001).

Whatever the reasons for those closings may have been, a lack of success of digital photography and motion capture was not among them.

Last edited:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I can recommend a movie called Kodachrome (I watched it on Netflix). "Set during the final days of the admired photo development system known as Kodachrome, a father and son hit the road in order to reach the Kansas photo lab before it closes its doors for good".

It's more about the relationship between the father and son, but portrays the sadness of those that liked the old system very well.