• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That is the "worlds" view!! Faith comes by hearing the word of God! The only way you can have faith in God! You got a subject, got a bible, lets look inside and see what it has to say! :slap:

That works with most things really. If you are constantly exposed to a type of thinking a person will adopt it almost sub-consciously.

Seems to work with most religions or even particular political ideologies for that matter.

I suspect if you went to say a liberal school surrounded by atheist thinking, the more your are exposed to the ideology the more it would start sounding right to you.

So nothing special about Christianity here, it just seems to be the way the mind works.

You know bad influence or maybe good influence if you start thinking like me. :cool:

You have to be willing to question whatever comes around to influence your thinking. Especially if it is something that gets repeated over and over. The mind is pretty insidious about the whole thing.

confused453

So does science say that sex outside of marriage is right or wrong?

My thinking is that science says that all the working parts are there for sex.

Marriage has nothing to do with sex. You don't need science for that. All you need is common sense.
1 sexually transmitted diseases testing
2 use protection if you don't want a baby
3 don't use protection is you want a baby

as simple as that :angel2:

If a woman gets accidentally pregnant, it's up to her if she wants to have the baby or not, 'cause it's her body..

Last edited:
That works with most things really. If you are constantly exposed to a type of thinking a person will adopt it almost sub-consciously.

Seems to work with most religions or even particular political ideologies for that matter.

I suspect if you went to say a liberal school surrounded by atheist thinking, the more your are exposed to the ideology the more it would start sounding right to you.

So nothing special about Christianity here, it just seems to be the way the mind works.

You know bad influence or maybe good influence if you start thinking like me. :cool:

You have to be willing to question whatever comes around to influence your thinking. Especially if it is something that gets repeated over and over. The mind is pretty insidious about the whole thing.

Then how did the creation come around, where did man come from? A monkey!

Lets look at God's word a little.....

People seem to think that God is myth! God's plan of salvation was from the foundation of the world. This plan is through the written word of God. When the gospel was taught and the scriptures were finished, they had the complete word of God. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. It is up to each and everyone of us to look into God's word and find out what God's plan is and by doing so and are obedient, we are worthy to have eternal life.

See: 1 Peter 1:10-15, Verse 12,"Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us [you] they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into." Also see Hebrews 1:1-2, "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds." Then in Hebrews 2:1-4, "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let [them] slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him]; God also bearing [them] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

:facepalm:

who says the bible is inspired by god, where did that idea come from?
duh...

2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 17. "That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

waitasec

Veteran Member
2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 17. "That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

scripture in this context was the jewish bible...

so again i ask, was the gospel according to judas , philip, mary, and thomas considered scripture before the bible was canonized? hmmmmm?

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Despite the revulsion of the notion. I have to agree with you. Who said that? To claim the bible is true because it says it is, is circular reasoning and not proof. I do not feel the need to repost the dozens of ways I have already done so that are suffecient and valid to show the bible as a highly reliable text.

:faint:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

As Paul was likely about to be executed...

Timothy was like Paul's son. What would you say to a young evangelist who's about to be left on his own with the responsibility to carry on Paul's work? A last set of instructions to the person Paul cared most about in the world.

I'm sure Paul was well intended but it was his opinion, his understanding. A man who had been persecuted for his beliefs knowing that Timothy would likely suffer the same persecution. Giving him something to believe in and trust since Paul may soon be gone and unable to guide him.

Kind of a sad letter really.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Again I don't know what you a referring to.. Expalin!

Paul could only have been referring to the Septuagint. None of the new testament, not even the gospels.

Also there are more then just the four gospels. Judas, Phillips, Mary and Thomas wrote gospels as well but they were not included in the canon of the Bible.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Again I don't know what you a referring to.. Expalin!
i already explained this to you...
there were many different gospels in circulation...the gospel of thomas, mary, philip, judas and more.
were these gospels considered scripture when these words (2 tim) were penned?

do you know how the bible was canonized? what the circumstances were that led up to it?
yes or no

think. when these words were penned (2 tim), do you really think the writer of this letter was considering his letter as scripture?
think think think

Pooh_Shepard1928.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Then how did the creation come around, where did man come from? A monkey!

Lets look at God's word a little.....

The Word of God means different things.

Firstly the Word, the Logos, the tetragrammaton . This is the Word of creation. The blueprint of the universe from beginning to end. This was the first creation of God the only begotten Son of God through which all things came into existence.

Then there are the words of God as in prophecy. Prophets to whom God gave divine revelation to. While God may have given revelations to they were still human, imperfect and subject to errors. These revelations come in the form of dreams and visions. Parts of the Bible are given as revelations. other parts are not. Some of the Bible is songs, history, civic laws, advise/wisdom. It should be kind of obvious where it's implied as something coming directly from God. However Christianity developed this idea of accepting the whole of the Bible as God's word. There is simply no good reason for doing so except that it became taught as doctrine.

See: 1 Peter 1:10-15, Verse 12,"Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us [you] they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into." Also see Hebrews 1:1-2, "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds." Then in Hebrews 2:1-4, "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let [them] slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him]; God also bearing [them] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Right these people saw it first hand so they didn't have to rely on the claims of others but could rely on things they experienced for themselves.

So does God speak to you? What gifts have you been given?

The Pentecostal at least presume the gift of tongues. God speaks to them through and they have interpreters. Not that I find speaking in tongues particular convincing but at least they have something they think validates their belief.

However if God speaks to you this is also the word of God. Personal revelation.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

In addition to the more scholarly criticisms provided by Nakosis and waitasec, this really just begs the question. Why should we believe what a book says about itself? You can't use a verse from the Bible to prove that the Bible is God-inspired and true, because you have not yet established that the Bible (where that verse comes from) is God-inspired and true. That verse could very well be mistaken or lying.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
In addition to the more scholarly criticisms provided by Nakosis and waitasec, this really just begs the question. Why should we believe what a book says about itself? You can't use a verse from the Bible to prove that the Bible is God-inspired and true, because you have not yet established that the Bible (where that verse comes from) is God-inspired and true. That verse could very well be mistaken or lying.
A debate about the authenticity of the Bible with a person who use the Bible to prove the Bible, is like talking to a brick wall.

camanintx

My faith comes from the word of God that is proof for me! If you think there is a contradiction in the bible. Throw it out there and we will discuss the scriptures! I can't give you proof that the world is right in its teaching. It just doesn't make sense that one would believe the history of men over the history of the bible (The word of God). I can give you bible proof, with scriptures on any subject!
Exactly which version of the Bible is the "word of God"? Last time I checked, there were over 30 different versions in English alone, and that's not even the original language it was written in.

scripture in this context was the jewish bible...

so again i ask, was the gospel according to judas , philip, mary, and thomas considered scripture before the bible was canonized? hmmmmm?

Sounds like Catholic belief!

The gospel of Christ was written my chosen men and other helps, but these that you name are not one of them. The bible was first written to the Jews and then to the Gentiles. After Christ died all could be one through taking part in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. One Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God...

Exactly which version of the Bible is the "word of God"? Last time I checked, there were over 30 different versions in English alone, and that's not even the original language it was written in.

The only version of the bible I have read for years is KJV, I stay away from the newer versions, because they seem to contradict! I haven't seen a copy of the others that were before the second KJV, except the Geneva Bible. I have read about the other versions, but the only one I have viewed is the Geneva Bible from the Library. Have you read or seen any of the other versions before the second KJV or the Geneva Bible? I have a comparative Study Bible with: NIV, NAS; Amplified, and the KJV. KJV to me is more reliable! Which do you think is more reliable?:)

I just did!
You don't believe it because you don't seek to believe it.:p