• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Right is way worse than the Left!!!"

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Bodily autonomy is bodily autonomy, isn't it?
Body autonomy is body autonomy. Workplace shutdown or workplace vaccination requirements aren't body autonomy issues. Regulating environment and safety requirements =/= regulating the use of your body.

Private businesses and government office and jobs (especially schools, military, international businesses and medical facilities) have required vaccinations for literally over a hundred years. If you don't want to meet those areas standards of practice, you are not entitled to those jobs.

If a business required you to donate blood to keep your job, that's not a body autonomy issue. It's a bad policy but not a body autonomy concern. If anyone, government or business, held you down and forced you to donate blood, that *is* a body autonomy issue. See the difference?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
His link source considers business regulations that protect consumers or the environment as strikes against freedom.

I know. I had a read through. Cato Institute is consistent in their methodology, but people need to understand what they're reading.
Hence my comment about not seeing 'freedom' as 'better'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Whilst I agree. If you’re going to present yourself as the side of morals and values, which the pro life crowd so often do, lack of follow through will stand out. As will hypocrisy
I'm only on the side of my own moral values,
which are hated by both the right and left.
In this thread, I'm just exploring rightish values.
And yes, there some hypocrites are there.
I’d say more like 100% of people lol
It's only 0.3% in Revoltistan.
And yet many will concede that such circumstances are fine for abortion nonetheless.

I’m pro choice so I don’t really care about the circumstances in general. It’s none of my business
It becomes society's business, & therefore mine,
when a mother directly causes damaged children.
I've no proposals to deal with it.....yet.
Must ponder.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The right wants to strip you of bodily autonomy. The left wants to strip you of bodily autonomy. You state this is a false equivalency, so I'd like you to go more into that. Why is the rights stripping of autonomy not equivalent to the lefts?

Thank you for being more clear.

A follow-up question - could you please give an example of "the left" wanting to strip others of bodily autonomy and medical decision-making power? I'm not aware of any examples of this.

To be clear on some terms, by "bodily autonomy" I'm referencing the right to control what is (or isn't) done to one's own body, specifically in the context of medical care and decision-making. Respect for bodily autonomy is why another person is never asked to surrender their body in any way to keep another person alive in this country. This concept applies most directly to forced organ/blood donation and forced pregnancy/birth/surrogacy.

The only case I'm aware of one might be able to point to are a handful public health policy issues, specifically vaccine mandates, which shouldn't have been partisan to begin with. Even if we concede that this is allegedly "the left" (rather than non-partisan, science-based health agencies) making that push, comparing public health mandates that are for the public good to something like forced birth is, I'm sorry, ridiculous. I mean, you can compare them but it's like night and day - most people would not call vaccines "bad," much less "evil" (conspiracy theorist nutjobs notwithstanding) on any scale because they are common sense public health protection tools that substantially reduce severity of disease and death. Vaccines also impose little to no burden on the people taking them and medical/religious exemptions are usually offered. Forced birth and the child rearing that comes after, on the other hand? Oh girl... night and day. Night and bloody day. Context and nuance.

The only other major violation of bodily autonomy I can think of right now in public policy is something "the right" has perpetrated - attempts to restrict trans people from exerting decision-making power over what they do with their own bodies. In some cases this has fairly limited itself to situations pertaining to minors, who are, on a non-partisan basis (so far), often considered to have limited decision-making power of their medical care though this is not without its problems.

Did you have something else in mind?

-*-*-*-
In any case, part of living in any human society or civilization entails various groups enacting rules and laws to limit human behavior, either through social norms or by contract. Different groups have different ideas about what those limitations should look like, but they are always more or less present. Because these groups have different ideas about rules and laws, to consider the somehow "the same" ignores important context and nuance. Depending on one's values, one might call one or more of these groups better or worse... and there's no right answer to that. Subjectiveness of value judgements aside, I can't see a reasonable case being made for differing social groups for being "the same" somehow without ignoring all the context and nuance of everything. It's ludicrous on toast.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm only on the side of my own moral values,
which are hated by both the right and left.
In this thread, I'm just exploring rightish values.
And yes, there some hypocrites are there.

I’m considered a Godless heathen by most. Which is somewhat ironic given the amount of deities in Hinduism but whatever :shrug:

It's only 0.3% in Revoltistan.
Must be a great place then, eh

It becomes society's business, & therefore mine,
when a mother directly causes damaged children.
I've no proposals to deal with it.....yet.
Must ponder.
I’ve a few. But I doubt they’d be accepted in polite society lol