• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Religious Studies Undergraduate

NicholaiHel

changemymind
What recommendations are there for the undergraduate in religion that would like to use the degree?

After a couple of years spending government funds on college classes I have opted to pursue a BA in religious studies. Thank you, America. I enjoy the subject and I would like to go into research after an MA in a more concentrated religious topic.

Joining this forum, which was recent, as well as research into where my focus will primarily be, Islam and Buddhism, is how I am presently preparing for this future.

Is there any suggestions to better prepare the undergraduate that desires to be a major player as a religious scholar?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What recommendations are there for the undergraduate in religion that would like to use the degree?

After a couple of years spending government funds on college classes I have opted to pursue a BA in religious studies. Thank you, America. I enjoy the subject and I would like to go into research after an MA in a more concentrated religious topic.

Joining this forum, which was recent, as well as research into where my focus will primarily be, Islam and Buddhism, is how I am presently preparing for this future.

Is there any suggestions to better prepare the undergraduate that desires to be a major player as a religious scholar?
If you're looking to earn a living from it my suggestion is to change you major asap. A BA in religious studies is no better than a BA in philosophy or sociology, unless you plan on working at a McDonalds or Burger King outlet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A heating & cooling service curriculum would be a good skill....high paying & always in demand.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Study German and French. Most scholarship in the humanities is written in either German, French, English, or Italian with the first three being the most important. Then there's the languages of whatever religion(s) you are interested in. For Christianity, that's Hebrew and Greek. For the Near East Hebrew is probably the only one you can take at the undergraduate level. For classical civilizations, Greek and Latin. And so on. Take a lot of philosophy classes.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Like Legion has said, many academic institutions may already require from you to study a modern language such as German and French (some may give you the option to study Italian instead), and also a dead, ancient, or classical language which is relevant to your area of studies.
If you wish to focus on Islam, then obviously Arabic is essential. Although other languages may be essential as well, depending on your subject (for example Farsi if you are going to study Persia/Iran).
I'm currently excavating in a site from the medieval Islamic period in Israel/Palestine. Although it's not my current area of academic research, it is one of the areas I'm relatively strong in. If you hadn't taken an undergraduate degree in Islam, the middle east, and the two areas history, they might ask you to complete studies about historical Islam, before approaching the contemporary Islamic world. In any case, there is some good and accessible literature which covers the background for the emergence of Islam, its early periods, the medieval periods, the late medieval, the early modern up to the contemporary. A lot to cover, but for people who are drawn to this subject (like you and I, I suppose) its possible to get at least a decent basic grasp of some of the main topics. But if you are planning MA postgraduate studies, obviously if you are not strong in this area, you should also start looking into a direction to research, a certain period or a certain subject, or both so you'll know what to expect.
Can I ask if you have any background in Arabic? It wouldn't hurt achieving basic abilities such as reading the alphabet and the ability to recognize and read key terms. Some of the basic terms of early Islam may include: Quraysh, Rasul, Mu'min, Kafir, Islam, Ummah, Hijra, Muhajirun, Ansar, arkan al-Islam, Ahl al-Bayt, Hanif, Jahiliyyah, Sunnah, Shirk, Rashidun, Khawarij. If you are not familiar enough with these terms, looking into their meaning is a very good start.

NicholaiHel

changemymind
Study German and French. Most scholarship in the humanities is written in either German, French, English, or Italian with the first three being the most important. Then there's the languages of whatever religion(s) you are interested in. For Christianity, that's Hebrew and Greek. For the Near East Hebrew is probably the only one you can take at the undergraduate level. For classical civilizations, Greek and Latin. And so on. Take a lot of philosophy classes.

Yes, I'm finding many reasons to take more philosophy classes. Thanks for pointing out the value there. And it's about time I put some focus on a European language anyways. Cheers

Like Legion has said, many academic institutions may already require from you to study a modern language such as German and French (some may give you the option to study Italian instead), and also a dead, ancient, or classical language which is relevant to your area of studies.
If you wish to focus on Islam, then obviously Arabic is essential. Although other languages may be essential as well, depending on your subject (for example Farsi if you are going to study Persia/Iran).
I'm currently excavating in a site from the medieval Islamic period in Israel/Palestine. Although it's not my current area of academic research, it is one of the areas I'm relatively strong in. If you hadn't taken an undergraduate degree in Islam, the middle east, and the two areas history, they might ask you to complete studies about historical Islam, before approaching the contemporary Islamic world. In any case, there is some good and accessible literature which covers the background for the emergence of Islam, its early periods, the medieval periods, the late medieval, the early modern up to the contemporary. A lot to cover, but for people who are drawn to this subject (like you and I, I suppose) its possible to get at least a decent basic grasp of some of the main topics. But if you are planning MA postgraduate studies, obviously if you are not strong in this area, you should also start looking into a direction to research, a certain period or a certain subject, or both so you'll know what to expect.
Can I ask if you have any background in Arabic? It wouldn't hurt achieving basic abilities such as reading the alphabet and the ability to recognize and read key terms. Some of the basic terms of early Islam may include: Quraysh, Rasul, Mu'min, Kafir, Islam, Ummah, Hijra, Muhajirun, Ansar, arkan al-Islam, Ahl al-Bayt, Hanif, Jahiliyyah, Sunnah, Shirk, Rashidun, Khawarij. If you are not familiar enough with these terms, looking into their meaning is a very good start.

My background in Arabic is limited to many of those terms, which I am at least acquainted with if I do not know them. Are you aware about the crossover between Hindi and Arabic? I would like to learn Arabic, but I'm learning Hindi as a first priority.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you aware about the crossover between Hindi and Arabic?
Hindi is an IE language, just like Sanskrit. Arabic is Semitic (like Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, etc.). Although there is a lot of exchanging with respect to scripts, the languages themselves are not so linked. That said, if you learn the basics of IE languages and Semitic languages you will have learned the basics for the religious text of a number of diverse religions.

NicholaiHel

changemymind
Hindi is an IE language, just like Sanskrit. Arabic is Semitic (like Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, etc.). Although there is a lot of exchanging with respect to scripts, the languages themselves are not so linked. That said, if you learn the basics of IE languages and Semitic languages you will have learned the basics for the religious text of a number of diverse religions.

Really good to know. I'm living in Thailand right now and I'm coming along with the language, which helps with some introductory Pali, and I'll also be moving to India in about eight months. I've heard Hindi and Urdu are quite similar which is a plus, but I think Urdu does not use common Arabic script.

To everyone at large, is there any particular authors or scholars of religion at large I should be aware of? Likewise, is there any within the fields of Islam and Buddhism which have made important contributions?

ELoWolfe

If you're looking to earn a living from it my suggestion is to change you major asap. A BA in religious studies is no better than a BA in philosophy or sociology, unless you plan on working at a McDonalds or Burger King outlet.

Many people don't find a job in the area they studied, whether Philosophy or Business. Having a specific degree doesn't mean you can only work in that field. I got a degree in Theater, and am now in Business/Pricing. It is kind of weird.

But the degrees teach specific things beyond the subject. For example, with a degree in Religious Studies, I would assume the carrier is able to better contrast multiple points of view and understanding, be more insightful to understand rather esoteric documents and procedures, be better at understanding some often overlooked aspects of individual or groups of people, etc.

He could get a job in Human Resources, go further to Education, Law, or Politics. He could even go for Marketing, helping Fortune 500 companies better break into the Middle Eastern markets!

No need to think black and white. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Many people don't find a job in the area they studied, whether Philosophy or Business. Having a specific degree doesn't mean you can only work in that field. I got a degree in Theater, and am now in Business/Pricing. It is kind of weird.

But the degrees teach specific things beyond the subject. For example, with a degree in Religious Studies, I would assume the carrier is able to better contrast multiple points of view and understanding, be more insightful to understand rather esoteric documents and procedures, be better at understanding some often overlooked aspects of individual or groups of people, etc.

He could get a job in Human Resources, go further to Education, Law, or Politics. He could even go for Marketing, helping Fortune 500 companies better break into the Middle Eastern markets!

No need to think black and white. :)
Not everyone is as bold as to follow their passions and actually study for the sake of studying and in order to do research or field work in a myriad of exciting subjects, particularly subjects which resonate with a certain individual. Some people compromise, and set out to get the kind of credentials that will ease their mind, whether financially, or in some cases even because it's what their parents expect them to study.
People who truly have a passion for a field, are not going to stop with a BA, they are going to pursuit their interest both academically and practically and it will manifest in their lives in a variety of ways. It seems that now days, many of the supposed 'technical' subjects students/workers experience a dramatic threat to their egos, and unfortunately the rest of us have to see them idolizing the idea of 'practicality' and showing their ignorance in relation to studying in order to expand one's horizons, understand one's world and self better, and studies for original, creative and authentic reasons.

However, I'm sure these practical sorts do love to enjoy the fruits of past humanities, art, social (and other fields) graduates. Whether in the form of literature, history, film, music, social research, economic research, concrete information about the politics of various regions, etc.

Most of my friends are the 'practical' sorts. They work in engineering, some of the most globally idolized high tech firms in the world, etc. I can tell you that their life has no advantage over mine. In fact they all love to get updates and information from my work in archaeology, and they love the fact that a person can carve a life for themselves by becoming specialized in an unorthodox field.

It is particularly lame to see people on this forum troll other people because they take their interests seriously and plan to invest time and resources in studying these interests seriously, in this part of the Web most of us build our discussions around an interdisciplinary network of world religion, society, anthropology, politics and many other related areas. If anything I would love more people who take these fields seriously to join the forum instead of discouraged.

Last edited:

NicholaiHel

changemymind
Studying religion has paid off manifold. It's a very rewarding subject. Much of the crossover into other fields that I pay attention to is within the international relations realm which religion naturally impacts. Knowledge about these topics really puts me at an advantage over others around me in regard to cultural sensitivity and understanding. At present, I'm surrounded by lifestyle entrepreneurs who travel for a living. Some of these guys are making six figures per month. We joke about how I'm the +1 or the spiritual guru of the group simply due to my interest in scholarship. One thing certain about my position is that I'm the only person aware of important events going on in the world and of the culture that we're currently residing in. Some of them can talk politik, sure, but I frequently find that a focus on money means little else it paid attention to. That is just a generalization, of course.

Regarding the trolling, I didn't pay it any mind. I generally don't dignify trolling with a comment, especially if the contents idolize being a wage slave over gaining knowledge.

Manna

Universalist

I would highly recommend checking out the website: thegreatcourses(dot)com and going on the Religion and Theology section. They have, in my opinion, one of the best range of courses on academic subjects, which includes religious studies. The lectures are put together well, all by leading university professors and the are made interesting. Unfortunately they are not free but sometimes they have free courses on their website or on Youtube. I am not a Religious Studies major but I have learned a great deal just from these lectures. I have actually bought quite a few of these and if you (or anyone else wants them) I wouldn't mind sending you a dropbox link to download them - better than both of us paying for the same thing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Find an undergraduate school with faculty who have ties to the major graduate programs in religious studies -- such as to Harvard's Divinity School. Then get in good with those faculty members so they can recommend you to those schools.

Benst

Some great advice so far. I did my BA in Religious Studies up here in Canada and am focussing on writing right now, although I also took a culinary diploma too.

I would add:

- Decide whether or not you want to take this to Doctorate level. Only Ph.d. level candidates will get to teach in tenured positions, if you want to teach in contract positions that will mean generally you won't get the same perks as Tenured professors... almost no sabbatical time for research projects, limited grants, less money overall, and you may not be taken as seriously in peer-reviewed journals. It shouldn't have to be that way...but sadly there are a few old school Professors out there.

- Start general in your BA, so study a load of aspects of Buddhism... and then wittle down. The higher up you go with your schooling, the more specific your focus should be. That is to say, with Buddhism, you could take it as a single religion, or you could figure out what aspect of Buddhism you enjoy the most and build your name and credentials based around that specialization.

- Choose your University wisely. The thing is, not all Universities are the same. Hands down, Chicago has one of the best reputations for Asian religions. One of my old professors did her MA and Doctorate at Chicago and her specialized field of study is South East Asian Buddhism during the Colonial years. She goes over to Burma to Rangoon every few years, and can speak Pali and Burmese. What I would suggest: look into scholars you already admire and then see where they did their course work, or where they teach. I would say it's okay to go anywhere, but Buddhism especially is very specialized and not as many Universities have well developed programs compared to Abrahamic.

- If you want to teach in highschool, you'll need to do teachers college. If you want to work in a museum or a library, it might be worthwhile taking a diploma is library or archival studies. If you want to work in social policy, there's some great MA courses now (one at the Wilfred-Laurier University in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) that deal specifically with religion and society. I know of someone who currently works with the UN because she did a minor in policy, and works as an analyst.

- Final advice... start volunteering as much as you can now in museums or in inter-faith organizations. This will help tremednously in your application process. If at all, try to visit the Universities you're thinking of... and don't be afraid to look outside your home country at satellite campuses for US based Universities. I know for sure several Canadian Unis have campuses in Europe, where you pay domestic fees but study abroad.

Last edited:

Franscetic44

Embracing the Yin
I was just looking for a post about a Religious Studies major and this fell right into my lap! Thank you!

I was wondering, as I am about to start college this coming August, what made you choose Religious Studies to be your major? I am extremely fond and intrigued with the subject, but I am torn about it's practicality. I do plan to follow my bliss, but if that is so, maybe I need to plan for the future (or maybe not and just be one with the Tao). Regardless, I admire that you chose to follow your passion among all the cries to conform to a typical lifestyle. I also follow this thread with eagerness to see what others have made of a Religious Studies degree, or what can be made of one.

Benst

Good question! For me, it was an interest to take my hobby further. I had a very strong interest in the field, as I was all sorts of things religiously speaking. I would strongly suggest though that you question your own religious beliefs if you do take it as a major. For me, I was never raised with strong religious beliefs at home...and University level academic study is not a seminary. You won't be studying correct belief, you'll be challenging and expanding beliefs from a cultural and historical perspective. An old Professor of mine used to say..."God can take a seat in my class like everyone else."

I decided though, after coming to terms with how vast my eclectic interests are, that I wouldn't pursue an academic career. I had to, therefore, choose a secondary career. For me it was culinary. For others I've known, they went on to take a teaching course to teach RE in secondary school, others I know took archeology or museum studies. Another friend of mine took a minor in Art History and went and studied in Rome in the Vatican for six months (she loved it!) It's a very diverse thing that can be applied to other streams very easily.

Franscetic44

Embracing the Yin
Good to know. Being that I went to a Catholic high school, there wasn't much opportunity to question my faith until we took our comparative religions course senior year. Although, my school is very tolerant of other faiths and does much to accommodate to other's religious needs as well as minds their own business when someone denies any faith at all (there seems to be a significant number of agnostics/atheists in my class). But I will be attending a rather liberal, secular (historically congregationalist, but that's long gone) college next year. So I am very open to study religion through a different, perhaps clearer, lens. Max Mueller said, "To know one religion is to know none," and I fully believe that. Also, how can one be truly convicted of their faith if they've never questioned it? These next four years, and maybe more, are a time of learning and expanding my mind, so I intend to do so in whatever field I pursue.

You also said you chose a secondary career. I myself also have an eclectic variety of interests. I intend to study Molecular Biology as a second major, but who knows... Thank you for you insight, Benst.

Benst

I just wanted to underline the point though, when studying religions it is imperitive that you leave your own faith at the door. The way you'll be studying it is from all angles, socio-political, historical-linguistical. You have to be able to get into the mindset of the other faith inorder to understand it... I've seen quite a few people unable to get their minds around certain important concepts and world-views because they could not leave their faith at the door. An example of this is understanding the importance of a Buddha statue in Mahayana Buddhist temples. If your religion decries or dismisses images as idol worship and you allow that point of view to cloud your learning, then you will have a harder time.

Ahh molecular biology might be interesting... I wonder though how humanities and science go together as minors though. At my Uni, they didn't allow minors of such difference because it could take away from your main course work. Still, good for you :)

Franscetic44

Embracing the Yin
I could definitely notice the "leaving your faith at the door" problem during my comparative religions course. Many of my peers completely dismissed some religions that they couldn't, or wouldn't, comprehend. I am more than willing to loosen up my faith a bit. I do understand the importance of Buddha statues. I have many of them in my house, actually. But I do understand that in Mahayana Buddhism it is, at times, more or less the equivalent to a Crucifix in my faith, in terms of reverence and who or what they represent.

Regardless, I will use this major to learn, and learn deeply, the many questions and possible answers to the human condition and the path to becoming a fully realized human being. If I happen to find the truth while on that journey, so be it.

Also, luckily my uni encourages eclectic major/minor combos as well as double majors. No expectations though! :)

Benst

I could definitely notice the "leaving your faith at the door" problem during my comparative religions course. Many of my peers completely dismissed some religions that they couldn't, or wouldn't, comprehend. I am more than willing to loosen up my faith a bit. I do understand the importance of Buddha statues. I have many of them in my house, actually. But I do understand that in Mahayana Buddhism it is, at times, more or less the equivalent to a Crucifix in my faith, in terms of reverence and who or what they represent.

Regardless, I will use this major to learn, and learn deeply, the many questions and possible answers to the human condition and the path to becoming a fully realized human being. If I happen to find the truth while on that journey, so be it.

Also, luckily my uni encourages eclectic major/minor combos as well as double majors. No expectations though! :)

Hopefully you'll get a very good post-modernist first year Intro to Religious Studies prof who can wean out some of the less open people. I don't think you'll find the truth, RS isn't about belief...it's about how those beliefs shape Humans and our societies. You might find a few doctrinal lessons, but a lot of the time depending on the course you'll be talking Psych, Sociology and History/Politics. Which religions do you ant to focus on? I cannot recommend Chicago enough for Eastern Religions. Luckily, colleges have great libraries with sacred texts in many different translated versions :eek: