• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Religion of Science

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Strange title - I can almost hear the sharp intake of breath from one or two members.:D

I hope Davidium won't mind if I use his sermon that he quoted in a thread for U.U; the link being http://dynamicdeism.org/tpst/viewtopic.php?p=202#202;

His topic is "The Religion of Science: The Religious Thought of Albert Einstein "; I read the sermon, and enjoyed it greatly, but there were a few points I thought could well do with 'an airing' in the debate section. I may as well reproduce the whole sermon as cut & snip the parts I would like to offer as debate.

The Religion of Science

The Religion of Science:
The Religious Thought of Albert Einstein
Sunday, October 18th, 2005

Since the advent of the modern scientific movement over the last two centuries, one of the most common conclusions has been that religion and science are inherently opposed. And in some ways, this does seem obvious, for they each have presented what seem to be wildly varying views of the universe. Both traditional religion and science seek to provide answers to questions, yet come to different answers from different methods. Often, the conclusions they reach are diametrically opposed.

The conflict between the two has raged for over a century. From the condemnation of Darwin and the Scopes monkey trial to today’s efforts to put warning labels on High School Science texts, the “us vs. them” view of science and religion seeps into many aspects of our lives. From evangelical Christian ministers who claim that Hurricanes are punishments from God for societal sin, to scientific advancements being used for immoral purposes (such as nuclear weapons) the division of Science and Religion has caused great harm both to individuals, and to society as a whole.

Into this debate was thrust a man of superior intellect, a laughing soul, and a deep and abiding connection to the universe. His name was Albert Einstein. And while we have all heard of scientific achievements such as the Theory of Relativity (which I barely understand) and his work in comprehending nuclear fission and fusion (which I don’t understand at all), what I have found most profound about his life’s work were his attempts to heal the division between science and religion, carried out in newspaper and magazine articles, lectures, private letters, and personal conversations throughout his life.

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind” Albert said in lecture given in New York in 1941. Einstein believed that Science could determine facts about the universe, but could not offer any social guidance or values. He decried such efforts as “social Darwinism” as immoral and unjust. At the same time, religion could speak to how we would like things to be in our world, but without science to point out how things were, you would never be able to find a path to that better kind of a world.

Albert believed, and believed deeply, that the rift between science and the inherent religious impulse within humankind was very harmful to the development of both science and religion. He often spoke of how the most effective scientists were moved by deep religious feeling in their explorations of the natural laws. He also believed that when religion ignored science, it ignored one of the primary sources of religious experience, the grand nature of the universe.

Einstein said…

"What I see in nature is a grand design that we can comprehend and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility...."

and

"The content of scientific theory itself offers no moral foundation for the personal conduct of life."

In each of these statements, Albert gives us the inherent reason why science and religion need one another, and cannot be kept apart. Without the wonder of exploring the universe, Religion remains stagnant in regressive traditions. Without an understanding of the religious impulse, Science can fall into the dangerous realm of using discoveries for immoral and unethical ends.

This was a deeply personal issue for Albert late in his life, as he reacted in horror to the atomic explosions in the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He viewed that as a failure of both science and religion, as well as a personal failure. Near the end of his life he admitted to a close friend…

"I made one mistake in my life... When I signed that letter to President Roosevelt advocating that the bomb should be built."

He allowed his desire to see scientific advancement to outrun his own religious moral sense. He would not do it again. In fact, his reaction to the use of the atomic bomb led him to one of my most favorite Einstein quotes…. “I am a militant pacifist… I will fight for peace!”

And yet, was the religion that Albert Einstein spoke of… the religious impulse that he felt was needed to compliment and moderate the scientific impulse… was it to be found in the traditional revelatory religions of his day? And of our day?

Like many Scientists, Albert had a progressive view of knowledge… that knowledge built upon prior knowledge, leading humankind to a greater and greater understanding of themselves and of the universe we inhabit. He also viewed religion as a progression towards a more perfect understanding of the questions that Science cannot answer… questions about purpose and values, ethics and morality.

Albert put forth that religious thought had begun for humankind as a reaction to the fear that was inherent in primitive humanity. In a world of cause and effect, where our early ancestors could see the effects of nature, but not understand the causes, humanity developed a set of personal Gods that corresponded to many of these things they did not understand. These Gods could be appealed to for protection, could be enlisted against ones enemies, and could be used as a salve for the fears that were at the heart of existence in an incomprehensible universe.

Over time, as our ancestors began to understand their universe a bit more clearly, the need for a salve against fear of nature lessened and some people began to move towards religious traditions that were based more upon enforcing morality and less on assuaging fear of the natural world. For as our species’ ability to be destructive increased, our ancestors became more fearful about what other humans might do, and less fearful about the dangers of nature.

Einstein believed that religious traditions that enforced moral codes based upon the “stick and carrot” of “eternal damnation” and “heavenly reward” came into being as a check upon our increasing destructive ability as a species. Any look at history, however, from the middle Roman Empire to the terror attacks of 9/11 and beyond will show that such religions of morality have been of only limited effectiveness in preventing the evil we humans choose to visit upon each other.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pt2.

These religions which tend to find their basis in the past… in the case of oral mythology for the “religions of fear” and textual scripture for the “religions of morality” are indeed the religious movements that most often come into conflict with science, and are not the religious and spiritual companion of science that Albert Einstein had envisioned.

No, as any progressive, Albert saw another step in the religious path of humanity… and that was a religion that was centered not in the past, but in the present and the future. A religion that, while not composed of science, both complimented it and was complimented by it. A religion that was inspired by the grandness, mysticism, and majesty of the universe itself… from the smallest atom to the largest galaxy… from the organization of ants to the boundless chaos of human religious and philosophical thought. A religion that found its spirituality within its adherents, and not from beyond them.

Let me let Albert speak about it….

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. The religion which is based on experience, which refuses dogmatism.”

"Of all the communities available to us, there is not one I would want to devote myself to except for the society of the true seekers, which has very few living members at any one time."

"Life is sacred. That is to say, it is the supreme value, to which all other values are subordinate."

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom."

“In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up the source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast power in the hands of priests. In their labors they will have to avail themselves of those forces which are capable of cultivating the Good, the True, and the Beautiful in humanity itself.”

“The path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge. In this sense I believe that the priest must become a teacher if he wishes to do justice to his lofty education mission”.

“I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation…My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance—but for us, not for God.”

“I believe in mystery and, frankly, I sometimes face this mystery with great fear. In other words, I think that there are many things in the universe that we cannot perceive or penetrate and that also we experience some of the most beautiful things in life in only a very primitive form. Only in relation to these mysteries do I consider myself to be a religious man… But I sense these things deeply.”

“Refuses Dogmatism” “Transcendent mystery of the universe”, “community of fellow seekers”, “Inherent worth and dignity” … It all starts to sound a bit familiar, doesn’t it? Much like our own seven principles…

Albert did not believe in a personal God… he did not believe in God as a being that intervened in the universe. And yet he believed that what was true about religion was that connection that we as humans can feel with the universe. The awe and mystery, the wonder around us can inspire us to hold sacred the mystical nature of life. In his time, Albert believed that the religion that most closely fit his view of this third stage of human religious development was Buddhism… yet for him even it fell short of the mark.

And yet, our denomination has changed from what it was in Albert’s time. In that span of years, though our own religious journey, we have retraced the paths that Albert took within the playgrounds of his own mind. We have come much closer to embodying that “subtle religious spirit”, and that next stage in Albert’s progressive view of the human religious impulse.

With the realization that Unitarian Universalism may well be, or become that religious tradition Albert Einstein dreamed of, there is also a challenge from him. That challenge is that the task of healing the rift between science and religion, the mission of making religion the true partner of Scientific exploration, the goal of showing that they are not only compatible, but necessary for one another… That task falls to us. It should not be scientists who actively oppose the placement of warning stickers on science texts, but rather those of us from the “religious left”.

If there was one thing that we as a denomination could do that might truly change our world for the better, it would be to heal the rift between Science and Religion, and to make them true partners for the betterment of humankind. Science would benefit from being restrained from unethical excesses, and religion would be compelled to look to the future and not the past for inspiration. For our revelation is continuous… and science marches on.

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind”

The first paragraph if fine (meaning I think we can all accept that) without dissent.

"“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind” Albert said in lecture given in New York in 1941. Einstein believed that Science could determine facts about the universe, but could not offer any social guidance or values. He decried such efforts as “social Darwinism” as immoral and unjust. At the same time, religion could speak to how we would like things to be in our world, but without science to point out how things were, you would never be able to find a path to that better kind of a world. "

The second paragraph (above) has two statements I think worth talking about-

1. “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" How do you see that ? To me there is almost an implication that Science (and therefore scientists) who act without any religious input are 'lame' - to me that almost implies that morals and ethics could only, in Einstein's mind, come from a religious angle. Yet we know full well from our atheist and agnostic friends on the forum that "The moral and ethical values of an atheist have more value than the exact same moral and ethical values of the theists; why ? because the atheist has no fear of reprisal when he dies. For him, a wrongdoing may well be illegal, and punishable by law, but the theist (and I guess I must leave out the pagans, wiccans because I don't believe they believe in a God who will punish those who have sinned)can expect a double retribution; once from the law, and then from God.

"but without science to point out how things were, you would never be able to find a path to that better kind of a world". How do you all see that ? true ? - i.e

That religion, without the help of science would never be able to find a path to that better kind of a world.

Later "In each of these statements, Albert gives us the inherent reason why science and religion need one another, and cannot be kept apart" - true ? Personally, I think that debatable..........

Thoughts people ?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Albert believed, and believed deeply, that ...
"Albert"? Good grief! :rolleyes: Parenthetically, neither in terms of his life nor in terms of his credential does Einstein possess any particular credibility in the area of metaphysics or religion.

Jayhawker Soule said:
"Albert"? Good grief! :rolleyes: Parenthetically, neither in terms of his life nor in terms of his credential does Einstein possess any particular credibility in the area of metaphysics or religion.
Who does?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
As is true of most sermons, the provisional (and referenced) "author" wishes to convey an apt metaphor or allusion as supportive of their perception of some veritable "truth".

Poor Albert E. is often the focus (and victim) of such efforts, as his numerous writings are parsed and whittled to suit the philosophical/religious/ideological leanings of whichever "interpreter" cares to self-indulge (and often mischaracterize) in suit of their own specified/motivational testaments of "truth". When Einstein's name is invoked as implied confirmation/endorsement of a given premise (outside of physics), please see any reference that defines logical fallacies, with special note to "Argument from Authority".

Einstein has been quoted as some sort of "Solomon-esque" validation of imparted/imperial wisdom from every spectrum of ideological/religious philosophy/belief. Dear departed Albert has been co-opted as "spokesman" for religion; against religion; "for God"; "against (or anti-) God"; "for" creation myths, and against.

Ole' Albert was just human (albeit an extraordinary mind), and certainly indulged himself with his own philosophical ruminations. But perspective is in order when offering such profundities of prospective weight and merit.
Albert was a lousy husband.
Albert was a poor, inattentive student.
Albert was not an especially motivated employee.
Yet...
Albert was an extraordinary visionary in the realm of mathematics, conceiving of concepts previously unadorned by preceeding auspicious authorship.

However, Albert could not accept (for decades) what his own theoretical postulations suggested (that "God does [not] play dice with the universe"). Quantum physics was anathema to his way of thinking, and he refused to acknowledge the advances in that particular field of study long after much had been "proven" and accepted by mainstream mathematicians/physicists/cosmologists. In essence, he was philosophically cantankerous, and in abject denial of empirical evidences and proofs (of which even his own postulations suggested as likely/probable). Poor Albert squandered nearly 40 years of his life in efforts to reconcile his relativity theorems with emergent evidences in contradictory support of theoretical/quantum level physics. Not very "wise"...but quite human.

At any rate, Albert was irreligious in the most basic understanding of the word. From his many writings it is clear that he did not believe in a personal God, or some sort of deity that controlled the cosmos to a specified purpose or end. Yet, even the brilliant Einstein could not wrap his head around the concept that the cosmos was in fact entirely random, with no appreciable (or observable) "purpose" or course (or direction) of any kind whatsoever.

Einstein's definition of "faith" (or a "religion" of science) was integral, and ultimately tied, to his basic conception of (and insistence upon) a personalized incredulity - that humanity's awe and wonder of the cosmos was, in concept, a human expression of some non-denominational (and deity-free) "religion" (or faith).

No great failing, but Albert was not especially adept at conveying his philosophical perspectives in an especially compelling or insightful manner.
I mean hey, he was a mathematician after all; not a writer, poet, or artiste.
In his latter years, he was in fact, a lonely and somewhat embittered soul, unable or unwilling to concede that such concepts as the "Heisenberg indeterminacy principle" (or quantum indeterminacy) were (not only) theoreticaly valid, but mathematically sound to the point of being illustrative and demonstrable proofs. From his immutable philosophical perspective, if "anything" could not be "nailed down" or determined with abject specificity from any one given moment to the next...then how could any "certainty" be attributable to the cosmos as a whole? "God" just might in fact be, tumblin' dice...and anything could happen at any given moment beyond any scientific predictability whatsoever. If you a mathematician first, and a philosopher second, the evidentiary suggested "certainty" of utter randomness and unpredictability, well...messes with your head just a bit.

I would not imply/infer that Einstein's philosophical ruminations have no value or worth in due consideration (I mean, who the heck do I think I am to measure and mitigate such a supreme intellect of extraordinary insight, experience, and vision?); but I would suggest that ole' Albert's thoughts and writings be lent the appropriate and contextual critical thought/analysis that his own unique and personalized perspective (and accompanying human failings and peccadilloes) impart...from which any rational person may evaluate, derive, and subsequently claim as inherently their own.

Chimowowo

As was said, I would like to point out that religion and science are not mutually exclusive and I find it foolish to think otherwise. Facts and evidence are just that, facts and evidence, and they still need to be interpreted in a way that makes sense. That interpetation is just an interpretation and in a lot of ways still leaves room for a good religion.

And a religion shouldn't ignore facts and evidence just because it contradicts something. You can find contradictions can be found everywhere. A Good religion, and a good science both should change, evolve, and progress as more facts and evidence are presented. Belief systems don't have to be static.

JerryL

And a religion shouldn't ignore facts and evidence just because it contradicts something. You can find contradictions can be found everywhere. A Good religion, and a good science both should change, evolve, and progress as more facts and evidence are presented. Belief systems don't have to be static.
So what, in your mind, differentiates one from the other? I suspect, in that difference, you'll find the problem with religion.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Chimowowo said:
True, but I hope you can see that the Methodological Naturalist approach is by no means unbiased. With that said I agree with you. Both should concur if God exist.

~Victor

Chimowowo

JerryL said:
So what, in your mind, differentiates one from the other? I suspect, in that difference, you'll find the problem with religion.
Good point. I guess I didn't phrase it well enough.

A religion, to me, is for the most part a belief in a god or a belief system.
That means everyone has a religion...even me being atheist. A religion by my definition is almost a philosophy. If you believe in a God and love that's your religion. If you believe in a God and hate, that's your religion, even though it's different than the first. If you believe in no god and love, that's your religion even though it's different than the first two.

Science is the study of whatever you choose to be studying. It is used to help answer questions, find problems, or whatever you have it do. But it is not a belief system in itself. You can make Science your religion, but except for those people who do, it's not a religion...it's a tool.

So what I meant is that a good religion, in my view is a religion that doesn't condemn the tool when it doesn't work as expected (such as proving something that you used to believe false), but instead says...okay I was wrong about that one aspect...but here is my religion now that I know more. A good religion uses that tool to help progress itself.

So for christians for example...as far as I know, no aspect of science has ever provided evidence for or against a god. Science will occasionally provide evidence against something in that religion...but never the religion as a whole.

Fatmop

He might be happy to hear that his ideas are at least still being discussed (even if not by qualified experts).

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Fatmop said:
He might be happy to hear that his ideas are at least still being discussed (even if not by qualified experts).
i think we've got some pretty qualified minds on board here, its just an illusion we created to make people think that we dont have any, but we do ........ somewhere ....

Fatmop

I'm certainly not qualified to discuss Albert Einstein. I hardly know a thing about him. S2a and michel might be better for that purpose than me.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Very interesting discussion. Albert Einstein was probably the greatest physisist and mathemetician of his day. This makes his discussions of theology interesting, I suppose, but not necessarily authoritative.

For a more modern example of what I mean here. Michael Jordan was probably the greatest basketball player of his time. Hard to argue with that. However, when he played baseball, he did not have the same level of skill as he displayed in basketball.

Perhaps looking to Albert Einstein for religious answers is similar to looking to Michael Jordan to save your baseball team. Just a thought.

That being said, the subject of religion, is there a god, where did life originate, etc. . . are subjects that obviously plague all the minds of any degree of intellect on the planet. It is very interesting to read what one of the most brillian minds of all time thought on these subjects. I find it somewhat comforting to read that Einstein came to some of the same conclusions on this subject as I have, even tho I think this subject is a bit far afield from his area of expertise. Even going far afield, I think his thoughts are of some value. For instance, even tho he wasn't nearly the baseball player that he was a basketball player, Jordan was probably a better baseball player than anyone reading this post right now. . .

Just a few random thoughts,

B.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fatmop said:
I'm certainly not qualified to discuss Albert Einstein. I hardly know a thing about him. S2a and michel might be better for that purpose than me.
OOOh no - not me; Jayhawker and S2a, yes.;)

greatcalgarian

These are great web sites on poor Albert:
http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/albert_einstein/
For example:
BUCKY:

• It's ironic that your namc has been synonymous with science in the twentieth century, and yet there has always been a lot of controversy surrounding you in relation to religious questions. How do you account for this unusual circumstance, since science and religion are usually thought to be at odds?
EINSTEIN:

• Well, I do not think that it is necessarily the case that science and religion are natural opposites. In fact, I think that there is a very close connection between the two. Further, I think that science without religion is lame and, conversely, that religion without science is blind. Both are important and should work hand-in-hand. It seems to mc that whoever doesn't wonder about the truth in religion and in science might as well be dead.
BUCKY:

• So then, you consider yourself to be a religious man?
EINSTEIN:

• I believe in mystery and, frankly, I sometimes face this mystery with great fear. In other words, I think that there are many things in the universe that we cannot perceive or penetrate and that also we experience some of the most beautiful things in life in only a very primitive form. Only in relation to these mysteries do I consider myself to be a religious man. But I sense these things deeply. What I cannot understand is how there could possibly be a God who would reward or punish his subjects or who could induce us to develop our will in our daily life.
BUCKY:

• You don't believe in God, then?
EINSTEIN:

• Ah, this is what I mean about religion and science going hand-in-hand! Each has a place, but each must be relegated to its sphere. Let's assume that we are dealing with a theoretical physicist or scientist who is very well-acquaintcd with the different laws of the universe, such as how the planets orbit the sun and how the satellites in turn orbit around their respectivc planets. Now, this man who has studied and understands these different laws-how could he possibly believe in one God who would be capable of disturbing the paths of these great orbiting masses?

No, the natural laws of science have not only been worked out theoretically but have been proven also in practice. I cannot then believe in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the powers of interfering with these natural laws. As I said before, the most beautiful and most profound religious emotion that we can experience is the sensation of the mystical. And this mysticality is the power of all true science. If there is any such concept as a God, it is a subtle spirit, not an image of a man that so many have fixed in their minds. In essence, my religion consists of a humble admiration for this illimitable superior spirit that reveals itself in the slight details that we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds .
BUCKY:

• Do you think perhaps that most people need religion to keep them in check, so to speak?
EINSTEIN:

• No, clearly not. I do not believe that a man should be restrained in his daily actions by being afraid of punishment after death or that he should do things only because in this way he will be rewarded after he dies. This does not make sense. The proper guidance during the life of a man should be the weight that he puts upon ethics and the amount of consid eration that he has for others. Education has a great role to play in this respect. Religion should have nothing to do with a fear of living or a fear of death, but should instead be a striving after rational knowledge.
BUCKY:

• And yet, with all of these thoughts, you are still identified strongly in the public mind as definitely Jewish and this cer tainly is a very traditional religion.
EINSTEIN:

• Actually, my first religious training of any kind was in the Catholic catechism. A fluke, of course, only because the primary school that I first went to was a Catholic one. I was, as a matter of fact, the only Jewish child in the school. This actually worked to my advantage, since it made it easier for me to isolate myself from the rest of the class and find that comfort in solitude that I so cherished.
BUCKY:

• But don't you find any discrepancy between your previous somewhat anti-religious statements and your willingness to be identified publicly as a Jew?
EINSTEIN:

• Not necessarily. Actually it is a very difficult thing to even define a Jew. The closest that I can come to describing it is to ask you to visualize a snail. A snail that you see at the ocean consists of the body that is snuggled inside of the house which it always carries around with it. But let's picture what would happen if we lifted the shell off of the snail. Would we not still describe the unprotected body as a snail? In just the same way, a Jew who sheds his faith along the way, or who even picks up a different one, is still a Jew.

Fatmop

"In just the same way, a Jew who sheds his faith along the way, or who even picks up a different one, is still a Jew."
So all Christians are Jewish.

greatcalgarian

Fatmop said:
"In just the same way, a Jew who sheds his faith along the way, or who even picks up a different one, is still a Jew."
Following your arguement, all Muslims are Jewish as well?

JerryL

No. He's identifyingh a Jew by his culture and liniage, rather than by his religion. Jews are the descendants of the tribe of Juda, and could as easily (more easily(?) be compared to "Arab" than "Muslim")

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fatmop said:
I agree...:bounce

~Victor