• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Receding Floodwaters Evidence for Noah's Flood Michael Oard

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
there is no evidence of australopithecus or anything like that. all they have is a few bones, if you go to KFC and you order snack pack and you end up with a box of chicken bones does it prove evolution? i thought we were doing science here.

We are. And it is trivial for a scientist to identify chicken bones as chicken bones. Same for human bones and for other animals. i thought you wanted to do critical thinking as opposed to nonsensical diversion?

We have enough evidence that a separate species of great ape lived that walked upright and was much smaller than modern humans.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
how can you identify a species by its bones when the species has never been discovered?
A - "look i have found the bones of neanderthal man"
B - what is neanderthal man?
A - i don't know i just found them
Not a totally unreasonable question. And one that I have a perfect example of. You may have heard of "Java Man":

Java Man - Wikipedia

It was the discovery of Eugene Dubois. All that he found was a thigh bone and a skull cap. It was enough for him to realize that these were "human" bones but not bones from a homo sapiens. The differences were too great. And do not ask me what the differences are, I am not an expert in the field. Creationists sometimes try to claim that "only one was found" but that was not the case. More bones of the same species were found later in many different parts of the world. When thigh bones and skull caps were found they were very similar. And of course more complete skeletons were found. Now that species as "Home erectus". We do have examples of all ages from young to old. They cannot be claimed to be "defects". They cannot be claimed to be the effects of old age since some of the examples were sadly very young.

As to Neanderthal man the first fossil was found in the Neander valley. Thus the name. Countless examples of those have been found. Again, all ages, both sexes. And some are very complete. Ask an expert and they will be able to tell you how they differ one species from another. But again when it comes to that don't ask me.

EDIT: Your ending example was that of a strawman argument. No scientist would get away with such poor reasoning. When a scientist makes a new discovery there is a huge burden of proof placed upon them. They have to be able to justify all of their claims. Sadly creation "scientists" only need to show that their poor interpretation agrees with the Bible. It does not matter last week that another creationist came up with a totally different explanation. They are not really interested in finding out what really happened. They are only interested in trying to bend (and often break) the facts so that it appears their beliefs are supported. Yet they never put their ideas to the test the way that real scientists do. They do not use peer review to check out their claims.

chris baron

Not a totally unreasonable question. And one that I have a perfect example of. You may have heard of "Java Man":

Java Man - Wikipedia

It was the discovery of Eugene Dubois. All that he found was a thigh bone and a skull cap. It was enough for him to realize that these were "human" bones but not bones from a homo sapiens. The differences were too great. And do not ask me what the differences are, I am not an expert in the field. Creationists sometimes try to claim that "only one was found" but that was not the case. More bones of the same species were found later in many different parts of the world. When thigh bones and skull caps were found they were very similar. And of course more complete skeletons were found. Now that species as "Home erectus". We do have examples of all ages from young to old. They cannot be claimed to be "defects". They cannot be claimed to be the effects of old age since some of the examples were sadly very young.

As to Neanderthal man the first fossil was found in the Neander valley. Thus the name. Countless examples of those have been found. Again, all ages, both sexes. And some are very complete. Ask an expert and they will be able to tell you how they differ one species from another. But again when it comes to that don't ask me.

EDIT: Your ending example was that of a strawman argument. No scientist would get away with such poor reasoning. When a scientist makes a new discovery there is a huge burden of proof placed upon them. They have to be able to justify all of their claims. Sadly creation "scientists" only need to show that their poor interpretation agrees with the Bible. It does not matter last week that another creationist came up with a totally different explanation. They are not really interested in finding out what really happened. They are only interested in trying to bend (and often break) the facts so that it appears their beliefs are supported. Yet they never put their ideas to the test the way that real scientists do. They do not use peer review to check out their claims.

anyone can dig up a bone. just because someone found a bone it doesnt prove evolution.

neanderthal was a hoax anyway just like piltdown man and nebraska man and all the other fossil remains of human ancestors.

Allah created the world in the recent past, everything else is a bunch of mumbojumbo smoke and mirrors slightofhand voodoo nonsense.

sooda

Veteran Member
anyone can dig up a bone. just because someone found a bone it doesnt prove evolution.

neanderthal was a hoax anyway just like piltdown man and nebraska man and all the other fossil remains of human ancestors.

Allah created the world in the recent past, everything else is a bunch of mumbojumbo smoke and mirrors slightofhand voodoo nonsense.

All the Muslims I know from the Middle East know the difference between science and creation myths.. Where did you go to University and why don't you have an Arab name?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That is right. Anyone can dig up a bone. It is when others do the same thing time after time that the finding is confirmed. And no. Neanderthal has been independently confirmed many times. Piltdown man was a hoax. Only one was found and it was evolutionary scientists that discovered the hoax. It was not creationists.

Like it or not you are an ape.

And no. Allah did not make the world recently. And you are in effect claiming that he is a liar. After all who made the fossils that scientists find?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
All the Muslims I know from the Middle East know the difference between science and creation myths.. Where did you go to University and why don't you have an Arab name?
He may be a convert. Converts are often excessively literalistic regardless of religion. My Google fu failed me. I tried to Google the name, no luck. I Google searched the thumbnail and Google thought it might be a cat. The larger image was not much better. It thought that he might be some sort of patient. Unless @chris baron tells us his story it appears we are out of luck.

sooda

Veteran Member
He may be a convert. Converts are often excessively literalistic regardless of religion. My Google fu failed me. I tried to Google the name, no luck. I Google searched the thumbnail and Google thought it might be a cat. The larger image was not much better. It thought that he might be some sort of patient. Unless @chris baron tells us his story it appears we are out of luck.

Somethings off..

Look..

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM or UPM) (Arabic : جامعة الملك فهد للبترول و المعادن ‎, Jāmiʿat al-Malik Fahd li-l-Bitrūl wa-l-Maʿādin – short: Arabic : جامعة البترول ‎ Jāmiʿat al-Bitrūl) is a public university in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Fahd_University_of_Petroleum_and_Minerals

Bob the Unbeliever

On another recent thread, unbelievers were asked why they participate in a religious forum. This is why. Where else am I going to see how religion affects people except in the news, which is really only religious scandals, not psychological probing. I described this activity as atheist school, which has both a lecture and a lab section. Examining the believers and tapping the glass so to speak is the best view of religion available to outsiders.

Incidentally, it was because of witnessing so much of this kind of carnage that I have become anti-theiistic, by which I mean that I consider religion and faith-based thought a net harm to humanity, and would like to see less of it everywhere. Who else is going to write like you do but a theist indoctrinated to believe that a liberal education is harmful?

About that. I'd like to submit an application for the job of god of the universe. I think I could do a better job. For starters, all animals would be vegetarians. No more roaring lions chasing terrified zebras and tearing them apart for food. Also, no birth defects. That's off the top of my head.

No, that's church. Brainwashing, or indoctrination, is the manner of training people by repetition of unsupported claims until they believe it or get chastised for not believing it. It's what's used by religions, advertisers, and propagandists.

The proper way to teach is the model we see in public schools and universities. The conclusions that great thinkers have offered are examined, including the evidence that led to those conclusions and any attending argument used to arrive at them. In this way, you will learn critical thinking, how to make sound arguments, and how to recognize logical fallacies. You will not be asked if you believe it - just if you learned what was presented in the course.

Transforming from the one to the other converted astrology to astronomy, alchemy to chemistry, and creationism to cosmology and biology. In each case a sterile line of thought was converted to a productive one.

Your use of the word "wicked" piqued my interest. You remind me of al-Ghazali mentioned in the last paragraph of this excerpt from a talk by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Look at how the Muslims first limited religious intolerance and enjoyed the fruits of an open society and relatively free thought, and how ignorant, conservative religion reared its ugly head yet again to steal that away from them.

Of all the stars that have names, two-thirds of them have Arabic names. While the constellations are Greek and Roman, the stars’ names are Arabic. How does this happen? How do you get stars named with Arabic names? It happens because there was this particularly fertile period – this 300 year period [about 800-1100 AD]-when the intellectual center of the world was Baghdad. It was completely open to all visitors – all travelers. They were all there exchanging ideas, and it was that period where we had advances in engineering, biology, medicine, and mathematics.Our numerals are called Arabic numerals! They created a whole field called algebra - an Arabic word. All of this is traceable to this 300 year period.

Ibn al-Hazen (965-1040 AD) was the first person ever to set down the rules of science. He created an error-correcting mechanism, a systematic and relentless way to sift out misconceptions in our thinking.

[al-Hazen] "Finding truth is difficult and the road to it is rough. As seekers after truth, you will be wise to withhold judgment and not simply put your trust in the writings of the ancients. You must question and critically examine those writings from every side. You must submit only to argument and experiment and not to the sayings of any person. For every human being is vulnerable to all kinds of imperfection. As seekers after truth, we must also suspect16and question our own ideas as we perform our investigations, to avoid falling into prejudice or careless thinking. Take this course, and truth will be revealed to you.

And then, something happened. ’The 12th century brought the influence of the scholar al-Ghazali (1058-1111 AD), and out of his work you get the philosophy that mathematics is the work of the Devil. Nothing good can come of that philosophy. With that, combined with other sort-of philosophical codifications of what Islam was and would become, the entire intellectual foundation of that enterprise collapsed and it has not recovered since.’

And that part of the world has never recovered ("As of 2018, twelve Nobel Prize laureates have been Muslims ... Seven of the twelve laureates have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize" - the non-intellectual prize). Contrast that with these education-respecting people: "Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals, of whom at least 20% were Jews, although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population" (both quotes from Wiki)

That's what religion does when given the chance. That's what it did to you, and what you would do to us if you could.

There has been visible progress in our lifetimes, but you won't see it if you have been indoctrinated into a religion that doesn't want you to see it. It's called a faith-based confirmation bias, and the kind you wear is one of the most damaging. It's robbed you of enjoying life. Like some of our Christian friends here, you can find nothing good in the world and look forward to its destruction so that you can go to a better place, like somebody waiting their entire lives at some kind of cosmic bus stop to be rescued from a horrible world. Why would anybody want to trade their cheery disposition and outlook for something so dark and nihilistic? I'm happy with my life. You seem unhappy. How many times have you alluded to evil, conspiracy, and perverting minds?

People also lived for thousands of years with polio and smallpox, but we've made progress there.

Progress is anything that makes life longer, healthier, more functional, more comfortable, less laborious, less dangerous, or more interesting.

Regarding the Internet, having access to so much information has been very helpful - useful, interesting, and educational. Even if you lived between the two greatest libraries of all time, I could have my answers before you even got out of your driveway, and more of them than you, especially in areas like modern culture and current events. I feel the loss when the Internet is out.

Forensic science has been a huge stride forward. Not only are more of the guilty being caught, but the innocent exonerated. Whats that worth? I loved how they caugh the

Perhaps not for you, but it's become better for me in just my lifetime. The world has never been better, with more people than ever enjoying freedom, education, adequate nutrition, financial stability, good health, and leisure.

I consider what you are selling here to be the fraud - not trustworthy. I don't use the word evil because of its religious connotations, but I'd call your message pernicious, that is, potentially damaging to anybody willing to believe it. It will darken one's outlook and make life less enjoyable.

That is exactly what the believer does - believes a book, or a preacher.

I go with evidence. There is ample evidence that the scientific method is valid and reliable, as its output. We know that the science underlying the Apollo moon landings is correct due to the fact that it was used to successfully deliver astronauts to the surface of the moon and back. I don't need any book to know that that means that the scientists understand propulsion, navigation, communications, etc..

Likewise with the science underlying the Internet, and vaccines.

The geologists are using the same scientific method. Your scriptures use mythopoisis, which is a demonstrably unreliable method for understanding reality..

Really? Have you never seen lava?

The earth's magnetic field is also evidence of a liquid mantle: "The [earth's] magnetic field is generated by electric currents due to the motion of convection currents of molten iron in the Earth's outer core" - Wiki

See there? Education isn't such a bad thing after all.

An amazing job, as per your usual, Doc. :)

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
amazing how people blind themselves and embrace irrational beliefs bending way over backwards just because they don't want to accept that God is their superior.
Reviewing the claims of a flood and coming to the rational conclusion, based on the evidence, that there was no global flood is not a rejection of God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Somethings off..

Look..

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM or UPM) (Arabic : جامعة الملك فهد للبترول و المعادن ‎, Jāmiʿat al-Malik Fahd li-l-Bitrūl wa-l-Maʿādin – short: Arabic : جامعة البترول ‎ Jāmiʿat al-Bitrūl) is a public university in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Fahd_University_of_Petroleum_and_Minerals
One does not have to be a science denier to be a Muslim. Just as one does not have to be a science denier to be a Christian. Though many in both religions seem to think that if one does not agree with them that they are not a "real Muslim" or "real Christian".

But like many our OP does not appear to be looking for answers. He appears to be looking for excuses.

Bob the Unbeliever

I know there is no point in trying to reason with a deluded person, but they throw it out there so openly. It can be difficult to resist.

Well, one may always hope that one day, in the distant future of such people, they will come to some sort of mental "wall" with respect to their cherished but false beliefs.

When they do hit that wall? (not everyone does...) they may well recall conversations, from the past, which could give them a path to freedom without too much mental loss...

Here's me: Seeing the glass is not so much half-empty, as it is in possession of a 50% safety margin. :D

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The internet relies on scientific achievements from coding algorithms, through fibre optics and on to quantum mechanics. That sounds pretty much like progress to me. And i notice you have no problem using it even if it means you need to discredit the science that goes into it
Oh the irony.

chris baron

the big bang is a creation myth isn't it? however creation came into existence it was miraculous. you can never take away the miraculous nature away from creation. people who see nothing miraculous about creation are the same types who can kill the buffalo and round up the natives in order to build railways for the transport of ore for the construction of weapons believing that more technology means progress. they are the same types who pollute the heavens with horrible starlink satellites that ruin the majesty and grandeur of the night sky.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Nope, she targeted me for some odd reason. I have been responding rather politely and fully to our OP so far. It is only the veteran deniers of reality that I are not treated with much in the way of respect.
I think she recognizes the futility in interacting with some people. I agree. Here we have yet another example of a person that cannot reason and there no obvious immediate value in trying to help that person. Maybe no value at all.

Recognizing that and acting on it are two different things. To borrow from Ron White, I have the right to remain silent, but do I have the ability.