• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Quran WAS Changed!

islam abduallah

Anyone who believes the Quran has not been changed has not read the Hadiths of the companions of Mohammad.

i read both and although of that i believe that the quran wasn't changed

[/QUOTE] The truth is that the Quran has been changed. It was changed by Uthman and there are hadiths which prove it. Mohammad never standardized the Quran, Uthman did [/QUOTE]

indeed uthman didn't, what you said is just pure misunderstanding about what Uthman did

[/QUOTE] and there were certain things he changed which upset many people, hence why he was killed by an angry mob. He had all other copies of the Qurans burnt so that the one he had written up was the one that you all have today. That is the only reason why you can rightly say the Quran YOU HAVE has not changed. [/QUOTE]
it's known that the people who killed Uthman are the worst among the people at that time, and all of Mohamed's Companions were against this crime, but Uthman prefered to scarify by his life in order to avoid Muslims to do a war

[/QUOTE] The hadiths which prove these facts are found in Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 514, p. 482; book 61 which shows that Mohammad taught different ways of reciting the Quran, hence it wasnt standard when he taught it.
Narrated Umar bin Al-Khattab:
I heard Hisham bin Hakim reciting Surat Al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle and I listen to his recitation and noticed that he recited in several different ways which Allah's Apostle had not taught me. I was about to jump over him during his prayer, but I controlled my temper and when he had completed his prayer, I put his upper garment around his neck and seized him by it and said, "Who taught you this Surat which I heard you reciting ?" He replied, "Allah's Apostle taught it to me". I said, "You have told a lie, for Allah's Apostle taught it to me in a different way from yours". So I dragged him to Allah's Apostle and said, "I heard this person reciting Surat Al-Furqan in a way which you haven't taught me!". On that Allah's Apostle said, "Release him (Umar) recite, O Hisham!" Then he recited in the same way I heard him reciting. Then Allah's Apostle said, "It was revealed in this way", and added, "Recite, O Umar", I recited it as he had taught me. Allah's Apostle then said, "It was revealed in this way. This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways, so recite of it whichever is easier for you." [/QUOTE]

indeed the book of Bukhari is the best book includes prophet Mohamed hadiths, so no muslim could deny the creditably of that hadith

we as an arab can understand that easily but you not, so i'll try to simplify it within this article

the quran was revealed to Mohamed in to 7 tongues to match with all the arab tongues, but the difference between this 7 tongues isn't in the words itself it's in to how to Pronounce it i.e. how to recite it, not in how to write it, all of the 7 reciting have the same figure of writing, so Umar was reciting the words of the quran by his terrible way of pronouncing the Arabic and hesham was following his terrible way and the quran was revealed by both, this is the first difference between the 7 ways of reciting the quran, the 2nd difference is in the dots of the letters during Mohamed era the arabic words didn't have dots above or under it like now and the same was during uthman era, the 7 ways of quran at some words are different in that for example the B letter written in arabic ب with one dot below, N ن one dot above, T ت two dots above, Y ي two dots below, during uthman and prophet mohamed era this letters was written without dotes, so it has the same shape, the 7 reading in some words use N instead of B in some words and it would give another meaning of the word but when you write without dots no difference between them, and that what happened at Uthman era, so to summary the above the 7 reading not means 7 books at uthman era as there was no dots above or under the letters like now it means one book you can read it in 7 tongues,

also if your understanding was right, that means now we have only one way to recite the quran, which is wrong, as we have the 7 readings, for example Egypt and saudi arabia recite by the way of qurish it called Hafs while morroco recite in another way, tunisie recite in a third way, turkey in a forth way but now it's 7 books because we write dots above the letters, if you remove the dots it would be the same, i hope that point is cleared now

[/QUOTE] Bukhuri: vol. 4, hadith 682, book 56 shows that Mohammad allowed variation to exist.
Narrated Ibn Mas'ud:
I heard a person reciting a (Quranic) Verse in a certain way, and I had heard the Prophet reciting the same Verse in a different way. So I took him to the Prophet and informed him of that but I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face, and then he said, "Both of you are correct, so don't differ, for the nations before you differed, so they were destroyed." [/QUOTE]

it's the same of what mentioned above

[/QUOTE]
Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 468, p. 441-442; book 60
shows how the companions of Muhammad did not have exactly the same way of teaching the Quran.
Narrated Ibrahim:
The companions of 'Abdullah (bin Mas'ud) came to Abi Darda', (and before they arrived at his home), he looked for them and found them. Then he asked them,: "Who among you can recite (Qur'an) as 'Abdullah recites it?" They replied, "All of us." He asked, "Who among you knows it by heart?" They pointed at 'Alqama. Then he asked Alqama. "How did you hear 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud reciting Surat Al-Lail (The Night)?" Alqama recited:
'By the male and the female.' Abu Ad-Darda said,
"I testify that I heard me Prophet reciting it likewise, but these people want me to recite it:--
'And by Him Who created male and female.' But by Allah, I will not follow them." [/QUOTE]

the answer about that is simple Mohamed's companions was arround 100,000 persons, two of them (ibn masuad and abu darda ) heard one verse in a wrong way, it's their fault and there's 99,998 compainions who agreed that it's 'And by Him Who created male and female", i think it's illogical to listen to 2 against 99,998
also don't think that bukhari was supporting their opinion, bukhari was just recording their fault

[/QUOTE] Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 510, pp. 478-479; book 61 And this one shows how Uthman had all the copies of the Quran collected and burnt....he then had a new Quran written up which is the one you have today.
So 'Uthman sent a message to Hafsa saying, "Send us the manuscripts of the Qur'an so that we may compile the Qur'anic materials in perfect copies and return the manuscripts to you." Hafsa sent it to 'Uthman. 'Uthman then ordered Zaid bin Thabit, 'Abdullah bin AzZubair, Said bin Al-As and 'AbdurRahman bin Harith bin Hisham to rewrite the manuscripts in perfect copies. 'Uthman said to the three Quraishi men, "In case you disagree with Zaid bin Thabit on any point in the Qur'an, then write it in the dialect of Quraish, the Qur'an was revealed in their tongue." They did so, and when they had written many copies, 'Uthman returned the original manuscripts to Hafsa. 'Uthman sent to every Muslim province one copy of what they had copied, and ordered that all the other Qur'anic materials, whether written in fragmentary manuscripts or whole copies, be burnt. ..." [/QUOTE]

i'd like to highlite here that utman not write the quran again, the quran was gathered during abu bakr era then he gave it to umar who keep it at his daughter hafsa the prophet's wife and when uthman notice that the new muslims in non arab countries read the quran in a wrong way and begin to write copies in a wrong way he decide to publish the copy of hafsa and to burn other copies as it may include wrong word

i hope everything is clear no :)

Mark2020

Even the qiraat have certain conditions to fulfill so that they can be considered authentic or valid, or else it shouldn't be used by the reciter

There are already 10 authenticated Qira'at used. The site I supplied, shows only 3 of them.
Here is the Wikipedia link again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qira%27at

Did the site make up these photos?
They are taken from real qurans.

Just compare a quran used in Morocco and a quran used in Egypt (of course both arabic versions) to see whether the site is right or not.

Here again:
http://mechristian.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/different-qurans/

On the site, there are flash controls, with play button [triangle] to listen to the different versions by famous Sheikhs ( Al Hudhaifi and Al Hussary ):
Mahmoud Khalil Al Hussary - ????? ???? ??????
Al-Masjid al-Nabawi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you have image and audio.

Last edited:

islam abduallah

There are already 10 authenticated Qira'at used. The site I supplied, shows only 3 of them.
Qira'at - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just compare a quran used in Morocco and a quran used in Egypt (of course both arabic versions) to see whether the site is right or not.

Here again:
اختلاف المصاحف المعاصرة عند أهل السنة « مسيحيو الشرق لأجل المسيح

On the site, there are flash controls, with play button [triangle] to listen to the different versions by famous Sheikhs ( Al Hudhaifi and Al Hussary ):
Mahmoud Khalil Al Hussary - ????? ???? ??????
Al-Masjid al-Nabawi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you have image and audio.

my dear as i mentioned in my former post, the arabic language was without accents and dots above / under letters, in the photos you sent if you remove the dots and accents you will find that the words have the same shape of the words,

and prophet Mohamed had recited the quran in 7 different ways which you mentioned before, which leads to get difference between the current copies of quran and all of them are right as the prophet recite the quran by all of them, do you get what i mean?

work in progress

Qira'at - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This thread caught my interest as i was checking around for new posts, and the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this and the threadstarter in particular, is whether a fundamentalist Christian who applies critical examination of the Quran can apply the same "outsider's test of faith" to their own religion?

You see, my inclination would be to assume that the Quran has been changed, although I know very little about it or its origins -- because I do know from my examination of Biblical criticism that there are no original manuscripts of any of the books of the Bible; and there have been thousands of copying errors (many minor, some major), and some later manuscripts have additions that are not found in any of the earliest manuscripts. And collections of scriptures that would later make up the Bible, varied all across the Roman Empire. Many churches relied heavily on books later labelled heretical or apocryphal.

Since you are comfortable using a Wikipedia article on the Quran as a source, I'm curious how open you are to the issues discussed in the Wikipedia articles on the Bible, in particular Biblical Manuscript. I'm not trying to change the subject or divert attention; I'm just curious if you can apply the outsider's test to your own beliefs.

Mark2020

my dear as i mentioned in my former post, the arabic language was without accents and dots above / under letters, in the photos you sent if you remove the dots and accents you will find that the words have the same shape of the words,

and prophet Mohamed had recited the quran in 7 different ways which you mentioned before, which leads to get difference between the current copies of quran and all of them are right as the prophet recite the quran by all of them, do you get what i mean?

How come all of them are right if different accents and dots cause difference in meaning?
For example:
قاتل vs قـــُـتل
"Fight" vs "is killed"
Can you see a difference in meaning?

islam abduallah

How come all of them are right if different accents and dots cause difference in meaning?
For example:
قاتل vs قـــُـتل
"Fight" vs "is killed"
Can you see a difference in meaning?

my dear did i say that they have to come by the same meaning?? no what i said that it will come by a meaning which will be suitable for the same context of the verse

examine that on any verse that has a word has different reciting in two qiraat and you will find that the meaning of both words are matched with the context of the whole verse

Mark2020

my dear did i say that they have to come by the same meaning??

Two almost opposite meanings are acceptable? How come?
If it were about a word suitable to some context, a word could be replaced by many. Would you accept that?
Which is important the meaning supposedly conveyed from Jibril to Mohamed, or that a word suits a context?

islam abduallah

Two almost opposite meanings are acceptable? How come?
If it were about a word suitable to some context, a word could be replaced by many. Would you accept that?
Which is important the meaning supposedly conveyed from Jibril to Mohamed, or that a word suits a context?

yes two opposite meanings are acceptable, i'll explain to you the example you mentioned

"is killed " vs "fight", you see that they give opposite meaning, let's see

this mentioned in the chapter 3 verse 146 "And how many a prophet [fought and] with him fought many religious scholars. But they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast"

here we used the word fought, so there are many scholars fought with the former prophets, so they go in to war and defend their religion against their enemies

what if we use the other qiraa "And how many a prophet [fought and] with him were killed many religious scholars. But they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast"

here we put were killed instead of fought, it adds a meaning to the verse which not contradicts with the first, it said that with the former prophets there were some scholars who were killed during fighting i.e. they are martyrs, do you see how it doesn't give an opposite meaning

your second question, the word couldn't be replaced by many, as i know it's only one , why? as i said before both of the 2 words (fought, is killed) have the shape in Arabic if we remove the dots and accents

for the third question, surly what's important is what revealed from Jibril to Mohamed peace up on both, but what you don't know that Jibril revealed to Mohamed those 7 qiraat (recitations)

do you still have any other question?

Mark2020

yes two opposite meanings are acceptable, i'll explain to you the example you mentioned

"is killed " vs "fight", you see that they give opposite meaning, let's see

this mentioned in the chapter 3 verse 146 "And how many a prophet [fought and] with him fought many religious scholars. But they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast"

here we used the word fought, so there are many scholars fought with the former prophets, so they go in to war and defend their religion against their enemies

what if we use the other qiraa "And how many a prophet [fought and] with him were killed many religious scholars. But they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast"

here we put were killed instead of fought, it adds a meaning to the verse which not contradicts with the first, it said that with the former prophets there were some scholars who were killed during fighting i.e. they are martyrs, do you see how it doesn't give an opposite meaning

your second question, the word couldn't be replaced by many, as i know it's only one , why? as i said before both of the 2 words (fought, is killed) have the shape in Arabic if we remove the dots and accents

for the third question, surly what's important is what revealed from Jibril to Mohamed peace up on both, but what you don't know that Jibril revealed to Mohamed those 7 qiraat (recitations)

do you still have any other question?

I don't buy this.
If he wants to add a meaning, he would have added a new word. Now each quran version has part of the meaning. Each should have the full intended meaning.
How come Jibril gave the seven qiraat to Mohamed? Again, if he wanted to add a meaning, he would have added words.
Qira'at are based on how a word is pronounced. So there must have been a certain pronunciation that Jibril used. Or you want to tell us that he said to Mohamed each verse seven times?!!

islam abduallah

I don't buy this.

that's your matter not mine

If he wants to add a meaning, he would have added a new word. Now each quran version has part of the meaning. Each should have the full intended meaning.

the current view of quran add a Rhetorical miracle to the quran one word gives you two meaning, this different ways of reciting the quran is one of the quran miracles which the god challenges the arab to get a chapter like it and till now they couldn't

How come Jibril gave the seven qiraat to Mohamed?

as he gave him the first one

Qira'at are based on how a word is pronounced. So there must have been a certain pronunciation that Jibril used. Or you want to tell us that he said to Mohamed each verse seven times?!!

finally you got it, Jibril used to come to the prophet every year to review with him what had been revealed till that moment and he was doing that in 7 ways

Mark2020

that's your matter not mine

the current view of quran add a Rhetorical miracle to the quran one word gives you two meaning, this different ways of reciting the quran is one of the quran miracles which the god challenges the arab to get a chapter like it and till now they couldn't

Sorry, but I've seen better.

as he gave him the first one
finally you got it, Jibril used to come to the prophet every year to review with him what had been revealed till that moment and he was doing that in 7 ways

Do you have a proof?

islam abduallah

Sorry, but I've seen better.

there are billions allover the history has another opinion :D

Do you have a proof?

Yes, i have to quote it from pegg's main thread
those hadiths said that Mohamed said that the quran was revealed to him in different ways,
The hadiths which prove these facts are found in Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 514, p. 482; book 61 which shows that Mohammad taught different ways of reciting the Quran, hence it wasnt standard when he taught it.
Narrated Umar bin Al-Khattab:
I heard Hisham bin Hakim reciting Surat Al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle and I listen to his recitation and noticed that he recited in several different ways which Allah's Apostle had not taught me. I was about to jump over him during his prayer, but I controlled my temper and when he had completed his prayer, I put his upper garment around his neck and seized him by it and said, "Who taught you this Surat which I heard you reciting ?" He replied, "Allah's Apostle taught it to me". I said, "You have told a lie, for Allah's Apostle taught it to me in a different way from yours". So I dragged him to Allah's Apostle and said, "I heard this person reciting Surat Al-Furqan in a way which you haven't taught me!". On that Allah's Apostle said, "Release him (Umar) recite, O Hisham!" Then he recited in the same way I heard him reciting. Then Allah's Apostle said, "It was revealed in this way", and added, "Recite, O Umar", I recited it as he had taught me. Allah's Apostle then said, "It was revealed in this way. This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways, so recite of it whichever is easier for you."

Bukhuri: vol. 4, hadith 682, book 56 shows that Mohammad allowed variation to exist.
Narrated Ibn Mas'ud:
I heard a person reciting a (Quranic) Verse in a certain way, and I had heard the Prophet reciting the same Verse in a different way. So I took him to the Prophet and informed him of that but I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face, and then he said, "Both of you are correct, so don't differ, for the nations before you differed, so they were destroyed."

is that enough for you or you need more? :)

Mark2020

there are billions allover the history has another opinion :D
Just search the web.
However big the number of those who believe something doesn't make it right.

Yes, i have to quote it from pegg's main thread
those hadiths said that Mohamed said that the quran was revealed to him in different ways,
is that enough for you or you need more? :)
Actually no.
First of all there are 10 qira'at.
Second, "This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways" doesn't mean that it was revealed in seven ways.
It doesn't even make any sense.
Can you give these hadiths in Arabic?

Starsoul

Truth
even in Mohammads day, there was no one fixed Quran as there is now. Back then, it was reported that Mohammad allowed his companions to teach it differently....the only reason why he would do that is because it was not standard.... yes it became standard after Uthman standardized it by destroying all the rest and choosing what to keep and how to write it... but before that, it wasnt.

Did Uthman write it exactly as Mohammad would have wanted it written? Not if you believe Mohammad when he told his students to recite it in different ways.
then it does prove my point.... there wasnt just one Quran...there were 7. But Uthman changed that by destroying 6 of them and only making 1 available to everyone. If God sent 7, who has the right to change it to 1?

Pegg, Lol I cant say much for your posts, you obviously know very little about what you're talking, you cant be serious. Of all the topics, you should've atleast re-searched this one well, too bad, if you only knew. To put such a strong statement out there and then clearly show how little you even know of it, is just, :(

7 Qurans,? there you go pegg, there you go. I'd only advice to step a lil back and maybe read more about the Quran than you seem to have sifted from an extremely flawed propaganda website, so unhealthy for the mind. :(

Starsoul

Truth
i did not say the current Quran is invalid because there were others which where different. The point of this thread is to show that the Quran has had different versions in the past....obviously not since Uthman... but the fact is that it had different versions
For your information, there are copies of edited Quran being circulated among the non muslims by other non muslims, for misconceptions, what do you call that? Who is corrupt there?

The Quran had no versions dear, If you know arabic, it is a language of several dialects, if you say often with a 't' in britian and without a 't' in US, it doesn't change the meaning of the word, just pronounced differently. The Prophet in the hadiths that you have mentioned was simply pointing out the difference of accurate pronunciation. STop mis quoting ans posting hadiths out of context, whoever told you all this is probably laughing at you right now, or eating his nails.
And the reason why I started this thread is because Muslims make the claim that the Holy Bible is 'corrupted' because it 'apparently' comes in different versions.
If you look at these facts in all honesty, then you would not deny that that Holy Bible is corrupt because then you would have to admit that your own holy book is corrupt due to being changed & modified by Uthman.
Ok Look, Muslims do not have to claim that the bible got corrupted, it is christianity which itself gives that message out, more than 60 versions of bible and each different from the other? Have you ever even seen the Quran? It is THE same, all over the world, has always been, and will always be, forever. There are No versions of the Quran and thats why its much easier to follow and a lot less complicated, along with being extremely explanative in its concepts. No vague theories about trinity which are nowhere to be found in the bible but yet vehemently supported by the church.

How do you know which version of the bible one's the real one? Have you seen the dead sea scrolls, do you know who filled the missing words and sentences in those scriptures? What was the original language of bible, why is it not read in its original language, if you love the bible so much and want to establish its accuracy, why not agree upon one version and memorize it completely, for starters at least. Muslims back then knew and so many still know the whole Quran by heart, word by word; is anyone even able to memorize such a large book in a foreign language, and that too even in an adolescent age? try memorizing the bible, and do inform us how it goes. Does any of your pastor/bishop or the pope can recite the whole bible without even looking at it?

And please do go over the verdicts of scriptural experts, Quran is ever the same, we dont believe that the bible is corrupted out of dislike or anything, let me tell you, the Ansaar ( the christians) hav been named the brothers of muslims in the Quran, but when Allah says that " they changed the message which was given to them, corrupted it and led their people astray" our observation finds a strong proof in what Allah says. There were christians at the time of the Prophet who embraced Islam, and that too among from the knowledegeable people of that religion, why would knowledgeable people from christianity would come to Islam, if it contained such doubtful origins like that of the bible? For instance this, someone who preached christianity for 50 yrs..

[youtube]jpPY9WFOjQ0[/youtube]
50 years of Baptist Christian Missionaries now David accepts Islam and is a MUSLIM - The Deen Show - YouTube

islam abduallah

Just search the web.
However big the number of those who believe something doesn't make it right.

yes you are right, but you don't give me a proof that you are right
Actually no.

First of all there are 10 qira'at.
Second, "This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways" doesn't mean that it was revealed in seven ways.
It doesn't even make any sense.
Can you give these hadiths in Arabic?

are you arab?