• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Quran WAS Changed!

Nothing new here really,Humans tend to edit and alter what they have written to suit their ends so i doubt the Qur'an is the only one.

its impossible to edit the quran, if one word is altered the whole meaning of the quran will change itself, thus this will create confusion.

Just try for yourself, take all of the quran that is in the world today, throw them in the sea, then alter the meaning yourself. What you will find that those who have memorized quran will bring back the same quran within the same day, not even a difference of a dot will be there. If you show your editted quran, surely they will know it.

Till the time of the prophet muhammad (PBUH) and till now the quran is still the same, and will always be the same. Its a fact, and it only matters is to accept it.

Mark2020

Do you know that even Arabic versions of the quran used nowadays have differences?
Have you read about the qira'at?

Do you know that even Arabic versions of the quran used nowadays have differences?
Have you read about the qira'at?

I didn't "read" but I "understood" it.

The seven ways are the way it can be recited, like I said in another thread, in the end the meaning is the "same" it doesn't changes at all. These are ways to recite, not different versions of quran or something like that.

It is just like different accents, just like people in england , those who are in newcaslte may have different accent then to those who live in yorkshire or something like that. But the meaning is the same.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
its impossible to edit the quran, if one word is altered the whole meaning of the quran will change itself, thus this will create confusion.

No need to alter it,there is confusion already

Just try for yourself, take all of the quran that is in the world today, throw them in the sea, then alter the meaning yourself. What you will find that those who have memorized quran will bring back the same quran within the same day, not even a difference of a dot will be there. If you show your editted quran, surely they will know it.

Of course they will know if they had memorised it

Till the time of the prophet muhammad (PBUH) and till now the quran is still the same, and will always be the same. Its a fact, and it only matters is to accept it.

I accept the Qur'an is a book of faith,whether its been changed or not doesn't matter to me

Mark2020

I didn't "read" but I "understood" it.

The seven ways are the way it can be recited, like I said in another thread, in the end the meaning is the "same" it doesn't changes at all. These are ways to recite, not different versions of quran or something like that.

It is just like different accents, just like people in england , those who are in newcaslte may have different accent then to those who live in yorkshire or something like that. But the meaning is the same.

If you can read Arabic, I can show you some differences.

.lava

Veteran Member
They have zeal for what they think Islam is, which unfortunately, is what many Christians have also made Christianity into, a rigid system of dogmas where what you believe is more important then love and kindness.

perhabs that's nothing more than your own reflection. people surrender to God out of love and no other. without love there is nothing. to have virtues such as being a loving person, being kind, being honest ..etc. is spine of path that leads to God. noone could get closer to God if he is not a good human being

tarekabdo12

This guy needs to be more educated regarding Islam because this argument is very old and dud, Othman didn't destroy the other 6 as they are still present up till now and we read and listen to them. He only kept the most popular one as new Muslims didn't understand the difference and thought that other Muslims were changing the Qura'n that they'd heard differently. So Othman feared Muslims would fight eacho thers because of their ignorance regarding Islam so he kept the most popular one, that of Quraish which is Muhammed's tribe and the leader of the Arabs.

Tell me, since the time of the prophet muhammad (PBUH), all those 7 ways to read the quran are preserved, not one of them changes, now you are saying the "quran changed" over time.

These ways are approved by the prophet (PBUH), and its still alive, not a change is made.

Talk on point.

Mark2020

Tell me, since the time of the prophet muhammad (PBUH), all those 7 ways to read the quran are preserved, not one of them changes, now you are saying the "quran changed" over time.

These ways are approved by the prophet (PBUH), and its still alive, not a change is made.

Talk on point.

Have you even read the site I gave you? Did you see the differences in meaning?
http://mechristian.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/different-qurans/
You're probably confusing ahruf and qira'at. qiraat are 10.

Check the dates of the qira'at:
Qira'at - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Many years after muhamed is dead.

.lava

Veteran Member
Have you even read the site I gave you? Did you see the differences in meaning?
اختلاف المصاحف المعاصرة عند أهل السنة « مسيحيو الشرق لأجل المسيح
You're probably confusing ahruf and qira'at. qiraat are 10.

Check the dates of the qira'at:
Qira'at - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Many years after muhamed is dead.

commentaries and translations are different issue; another topic

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
This guy needs to be more educated regarding Islam because this argument is very old and dud, Othman didn't destroy the other 6 as they are still present up till now and we read and listen to them. He only kept the most popular one as new Muslims didn't understand the difference and thought that other Muslims were changing the Qura'n that they'd heard differently. So Othman feared Muslims would fight eacho thers because of their ignorance regarding Islam so he kept the most popular one, that of Quraish which is Muhammed's tribe and the leader of the Arabs.

That aside, the Hadiths show that Muslims from different regions disagreed as to the way a particular verse should be read. See Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 468, p. 441-442; book 60 where it shows disagreement about the verse:
"...Then he asked Alqama. "How did you hear 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud reciting Surat Al-Lail (The Night)?" Alqama recited: 'By the male and the female.' Abu Ad-Darda said, "I testify that I heard me Prophet reciting it likewise, but these people want me to recite it:--'And by Him Who created male and female.' But by Allah, I will not follow them."

But how is this verse rendered in the Quran today?
92:3 وَمَا خَلَقَ الذَّكَرَ وَالْأُنثَى Wa mā khalaqa-(a)dh-dhakara wa-(a)l-‘unthāBy (the mystery of) the creation of (wa mā khalaqa) male and female
So according to the above hadith, Mohammad taught this verse as simply 'by the male and female'... but the current Quran has it written as 'by the creation of male and female'

Very different. but im sure you will say that Quran is the correct verse and the hadith is wrong. If the hadith is wrong, then perhaps other hadiths are wrong too? So the quesiton is why use the hadith at all? If one is wrong, they may all be wrong. And without the Hadith, who is to say which of Mohammads followers was right and which was wrong? I dont think you can do that so you really cannot say that the Quran is exactly as Mohammad had it revealed to him.

Bismillah

Submit
Wow I can't believe that this simple fact hasn't sunk in yet. The ahruf has not changed. The ahruf was sent by direct transmission from Allah to the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). Hence the Qur'an is the inerrant unchanged word of Allah.

The hadith you most recently mentioned, Pegg, involves a conflict between Muslims who do not know the Qur'an by heart, by their own admission. The disagreement is between Muslims who have not memorized the Qur'an and one who has. He reports that he will not follow that which the others prescribe in confidence with a Sahaba who has also memorized the Qur'an under the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), i.e the Hadith explicitly states that the reciter did not change his way in spite of being asked to recite another way.

Secondly you are using differences in translation of the Qur'an into Arabic to show that the Qur'an has changed? Do you see where you have gone wrong or no? The Qur'an is not Le Saint Coran or Yusuf Ali's the Holy Qur'an. The Qur'an is Al-Qur'an in its pure Arabic form.

Cross examination amongst the earliest Qur'ans, including that of Uthman's (may Allah be pleased with him) reveal that modern day versions have not changed one iota.

As I said before, I am supported in my assertion by centuries of historical analysis of the Qur'an even by famous Orientalists who devoted their lives to criticizing and simplifying Islam for their Western audience.

Bismillah

Submit
For the record, don't clog up the thread with useless side discussions about hadith for example. If you wish start a new topic by all means, but all you are doing here is cramming your own POV where it doesn't belong.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Wow I can't believe that this simple fact hasn't sunk in yet. The ahruf has not changed. The ahruf was sent by direct transmission from Allah to the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). Hence the Qur'an is the inerrant unchanged word of Allah.

The hadith you most recently mentioned, Pegg, involves a conflict between Muslims who do not know the Qur'an by heart, by their own admission. The disagreement is between Muslims who have not memorized the Qur'an and one who has. He reports that he will not follow that which the others prescribe in confidence with a Sahaba who has also memorized the Qur'an under the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), i.e the Hadith explicitly states that the reciter did not change his way in spite of being asked to recite another way.

look closely at the Hadith Bismillah.... the writer, and the person speak both testify that they heard the prophet recite it 'by the male and female'
"How did you hear 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud reciting Surat Al-Lail (The Night)?" Alqama recited: 'By the male and the female.' Abu Ad-Darda said, "I testify that I heard me Prophet reciting it likewise

but that is not what is written in the Quran today. In the Quran is it now written in the way the writer says he does not want to recite because he heard differently from Mohammad.

So that hadith shows that the way Mohammad recited it was the other way to what is now in the Quran.

Cross examination amongst the earliest Qur'ans, including that of Uthman's (may Allah be pleased with him) reveal that modern day versions have not changed one iota.

As I said before, I am supported in my assertion by centuries of historical analysis of the Qur'an even by famous Orientalists who devoted their lives to criticizing and simplifying Islam for their Western audience.

Yeah i do agree with you on this point... the Quran you have right now has been that way ever since Uthman compiled and standardized the Quran... but it isnt necessarily exactly as Mohammad spoke it or recited it as the above hadith shows.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
For the record, don't clog up the thread with useless side discussions about hadith for example. If you wish start a new topic by all means, but all you are doing here is cramming your own POV where it doesn't belong.

it is these very hadiths which show the very argument i am making

I didnt write the hadiths and I didnt translate them... arabic speaking muslims did. There is no shame in examining ones religion Bismillah. It doesnt mean you are being disloyal to Mohammad or to Allah or the Quran.

Bismillah

Submit
but that is not what is written in the Quran today.
Really did you read this part Pegg?
Bismillah said:
Secondly you are using differences in translation of the Qur'an into Arabic to show that the Qur'an has changed? Do you see where you have gone wrong or no? The Qur'an is not Le Saint Coran or Yusuf Ali's the Holy Qur'an. The Qur'an is Al-Qur'an in its pure Arabic form.
So what you would have to do to prove your point would be to show me a sahih hadith which questioned the methodology of the compilation of the Qur'an.

Until then, this hadith continues to support my statements in that the Sahaba and the reciter agreed on the recitation of the Qur'an (important because second generation reciters agreed with the first generation) and rejected external changes to it.

I however, have already posted hadiths showing just how the Qur'an was physically recorded once narrated by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) how that was created into a transcript and how that transcript was created into the Qur'an. For reference here it is.

After the battle of Yammama there were significant amounts of the Sahaba martyred who had memorized the Qur'an by heart under the Prophet. Thus Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) ordered Zaid (may Allah be pleased with him) adopted son of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) along with others to collect and compile the verses and chapters of the Qur'an. They did so and replicated several copies of the Qur'an.
Narrated Zaid bin Thabit Al-Ansari:
who was one of those who used to write the Divine Revelation: Abu Bakr sent for me after the (heavy) casualties among the warriors (of the battle) of Yamama (where a great number of Qurra' were killed). 'Umar was present with Abu Bakr who said, 'Umar has come to me and said, The people have suffered heavy casualties on the day of (the battle of) Yamama, and I am afraid that there will be more casualties among the Qurra' (those who know the Qur'an by heart) at other battle-fields, whereby a large part of the Qur'an may be lost, unless you collect it. And I am of the opinion that you should collect the Qur'an." Abu Bakr added, "I said to 'Umar, 'How can I do something which Allah's Apostle has not done?' 'Umar said (to me), 'By Allah, it is (really) a good thing.' So 'Umar kept on pressing, trying to persuade me to accept his proposal, till Allah opened my bosom for it and I had the same opinion as 'Umar." (Zaid bin Thabit added:) Umar was sitting with him (Abu Bakr) and was not speaking. me). "You are a wise young man and we do not suspect you (of telling lies or of forgetfulness): and you used to write the Divine Inspiration for Allah's Apostle. Therefore, look for the Qur'an and collect it (in one manuscript). " By Allah, if he (Abu Bakr) had ordered me to shift one of the mountains (from its place) it would not have been harder for me than what he had ordered me concerning the collection of the Qur'an. I said to both of them, "How dare you do a thing which the Prophet has not done?" Abu Bakr said, "By Allah, it is (really) a good thing. So I kept on arguing with him about it till Allah opened my bosom for that which He had opened the bosoms of Abu Bakr and Umar. So I started locating Quranic material and collecting it from parchments, scapula, leaf-stalks of date palms and from the memories of men (who knew it by heart). I found with Khuzaima two Verses of Surat-at-Tauba which I had not found with anybody else, (and they were):--
"Verily there has come to you an Apostle (Muhammad) from amongst yourselves. It grieves him that you should receive any injury or difficulty He (Muhammad) is ardently anxious over you (to be rightly guided)" (9.128)
The manuscript on which the Quran was collected, remained with Abu Bakr till Allah took him unto Him, and then with 'Umar till Allah took him unto Him, and finally it remained with Hafsa, Umar's daughter.

During the Caliphate of Uthman (may Allah be pleased with him) Islam spread to Persia, the Levant, and North Africa. These new Muslims spoke different dialects or completely different languages than those of the Meccan Arabs.

The Qur'an continued to be read according to the seven ahruf until midway through Caliph 'Uthman's rule when some confusion arose in the outlying provinces concerning the Qur'an's recitation. Some Arab tribes had began to boast about the superiority of their ahruf and a rivalry began to develop. At the same time, some new Muslims also began mixing the various forms of recitation out of ignorance. Caliph 'Uthman decided to make official copies of the Qur'an according to the dialect of the Quraysh and send them along with the Qur'anic reciters to the major centres of Islam. This decision was approved by Sahaabah and all unofficial copies of the Qur'an were destroyed. Following the distribution of the official copies, all the other ahruf were dropped and the Qur'an began to be read in only one harf. Thus, the Qur'an which is available through out the world today is written and recited only according to the harf of Quraysh. (Ibid)
Sir William Muir famous Orientalist and Critic of Islam said:
The recension of 'Uthman has been handed down to us unaltered. So carefully, indeed, has it been preserved, that there are no variations of importance, - we might almost say no variations at all, - amongst the innumerable copies of the Koran scattered throughout the vast bounds of empire of Islam. Contending and embittered factions, taking their rise in the murder of 'Uthman himself within a quarter of a century from the death of Muhammad have ever since rent the Muslim world. Yet but ONE KORAN has always been current amongst them.... There is probably in the world no other work which has remained twelve centuries with so pure a text.
As I said Pegg, the methodology and compilation of the Qur'an was faultless and supervised by a company of Sahabah who did so in the face of both physical evidence in conjunction with the memory of those who had memorized the Qur'an.

edit: By the way Pegg I wasn't talking about Hadiths in relation to those of the ahruf, simply those that have no precedence or meaning to be here. They are abundant.