• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Life

The purpose of life

• There is none

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • There is a purpose, and its . . . . .

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
oh no.....doing what YOU wish?

I don't think so
You think I'd want you to do what YOU wanted? I don't think so.

giphy.gif

Skwim

Veteran Member
it is sufficient to do good things for others...hoping the same inreturn
Only difference between your advice and mine is who gets to decide what is good. Do you really want me to decide what's good for you, or would you rather do that yourself?

your concept would have everyone your slave...you first
No more so than if they operated under your advice. Do. Don't do. It's your choice.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Only difference between your advice and mine is who gets to decide what is good. Do you really want me to decide what's good for you, or would you rather do that yourself?

No more so than if they operated under your advice. Do. Don't do. It's your choice.

that was convoluted....
I should go about doing what you wish......as if you know what is good for me.....?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
There is, and it's....

Free will imho.

But,

Regardless of what anyone does or does not believe in I think we can all agree the best way to live life is to make the world better for ourselves and our children. The better we treat each other the better place the world will be. Even if all you are able to do is the little things, each little thing does help, and does matter.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The literal hell is the biblical hell where Jesus went the day Jesus died - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
The Bible's literal hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave until Resurrection Day.
( Resurrection Day being Jesus' Millennium-long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years )
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.
(KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as: hell fire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit ( Not a cemetery ) where things were destroyed and Not kept burning forever )
The resurrected heavenly Jesus has keys to unlock death and the grave ( biblical hell ) as per Revelation 1:18.
The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' as per Psalms 92:9; Proverbs 2:21-22.
Then the humble meek people will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 in connection to Psalms 37:9-11.

You have not addressed my point yet: The Greek words used for eternal life for believers are the same words used for unbelievers in the NT. Either there is a literal Hell for unbelievers and eternal life for believers, or believers will be annihilated when the wicked are annihilated!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
you cannot circumvent what I posted

Someone had to be first
Actually, that may even depend on which version of Genesis you suppose to be the correct one. In one version, the Bible says God created Adam (who was thus first), and later Eve. In the other version, though they remain unnamed, they were "man and woman" created together -- so neither was first.

But that's the simplistic, religious version, and of course it contradicts itself, because of course both stories are wrong. The Bible disagrees, but everything that nature has written into the actual record of creation says that we in fact evolved.

Now, in order for you to state that "somebody had to be first" in the context of that (the only) reality, you would also have to agree that he or she would also be the last. That is in the very nature of species -- the ability to mate. And if there was only one who was first, then there was no other with whom he/she could mate, and so they died childless.

You may continue your simplistic "is too" rant ad infinitum, but the reality is you appear to lack the ability (or the desire) to contemplate the reality that is far more complex, and absolutely denies your claim. And since you seem not to be interested, I don't intend to write further on the subject, knowing (from experience now) how you will respond.

I've told you: I prefer thinking and knowledge. You are perfectly free to see the world in your own way. It just doesn't resonate with the it actually is, and therefore it doesn't resonate with me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Actually, that may even depend on which version of Genesis you suppose to be the correct one. In one version, the Bible says God created Adam (who was thus first), and later Eve. In the other version, though they remain unnamed, they were "man and woman" created together -- so neither was first.

But that's the simplistic, religious version, and of course it contradicts itself, because of course both stories are wrong. The Bible disagrees, but everything that nature has written into the actual record of creation says that we in fact evolved.

Now, in order for you to state that "somebody had to be first" in the context of that (the only) reality, you would also have to agree that he or she would also be the last. That is in the very nature of species -- the ability to mate. And if there was only one who was first, then there was no other with whom he/she could mate, and so they died childless.

You may continue your simplistic "is too" rant ad infinitum, but the reality is you appear to lack the ability (or the desire) to contemplate the reality that is far more complex, and absolutely denies your claim. And since you seem not to be interested, I don't intend to write further on the subject, knowing (from experience now) how you will respond.

I've told you: I prefer thinking and knowledge. You are perfectly free to see the world in your own way. It just doesn't resonate with the it actually is, and therefore it doesn't resonate with me.
you're not going to get it

Someone had to be first ....in mind and heart

God......First
then the creation

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
you're not going to get it

Someone had to be first ....in mind and heart

God......First
then the creation
That is a belief, not a demonstrable fact. I do not happen to believe it, for about a thousand reasons, all of which I have posted elsewhere, and none of which has been successfully refuted -- merely denied by citing either religious texts or beliefs.

I note, for example, that you don`t actually even mention some of my actual points in this thread -- but just continue to insist, unevidenced, on the same assertion over and over and over again. Like children arguing: "DID NOT---DID TOO---DID NOT---DID TOO." One supposes the winner must be the one who doesn`t get tired of it and go home.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That is a belief, not a demonstrable fact. I do not happen to believe it, for about a thousand reasons, all of which I have posted elsewhere, and none of which has been successfully refuted -- merely denied by citing either religious texts or beliefs.

I note, for example, that you don`t actually even mention some of my actual points in this thread -- but just continue to insist, unevidenced, on the same assertion over and over and over again. Like children arguing: "DID NOT---DID TOO---DID NOT---DID TOO." One supposes the winner must be the one who doesn`t get tired of it and go home.
no one is going back to the beginning to watch God as He pronounces......I AM!

but it happened

think it out

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
no one is going back to the beginning to watch God as He pronounces......I AM!

but it happened

think it out
Yes, well if you were there, back at "the beginning" and heard it happen -- then tell us what it was like. (Even though, by the way, the Bible makes that claim of "I am" happen a lot later than the beginning.

You state "it happened" but can give no evidence for it.

Think it out.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, well if you were there, back at "the beginning" and heard it happen -- then tell us what it was like. (Even though, by the way, the Bible makes that claim of "I am" happen a lot later than the beginning.

You state "it happened" but can give no evidence for it.

Think it out.
see Genesis.....Chapter one

and sure it happened
and here we are

atanu

Premium Member
I just came across a blurb for a new book by Leo Severino titled, GOING DEEPER, which is said to address, in part, the purpose of life. Not able to read it, and I most likely never will, it got me thinking about RF folk here and what they thought, hence, my question, which can be answered as.

There is no purpose to life​
or
There is, and it's ________________________________________________ .​
The perception of purpose will depend on what one knows about oneself. I speak as per my understanding based on vedanta.

The Self that is the foundation of all conscious and unconscious objects is uncreated, formless, non-dual consciousness-existence-bliss. It conceives in itself worlds to enjoy the drama. We as the manifested ego selves, being endowed with reflected intelligence, are deluded that we have independent purposes. Reflected ego selves are like characters in a film or a story that have no freedom and no purpose.

But we are not mere reflected ego selves. The core of us is pure consciousness of the non dual Self. The purpose is to shed the notion of separateness and JUST BE.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The perception of purpose will depend on what one knows about oneself. I speak as per my understanding based on vedanta.

The Self that is the foundation of all conscious and unconscious objects is uncreated, formless, non-dual consciousness-existence-bliss. It conceives in itself worlds to enjoy the drama. We as the manifested ego selves, being endowed with reflected intelligence, are deluded that we have independent purposes. Reflected ego selves are like characters in a film or a story that have no freedom and no purpose.

But we are not mere reflected ego selves. The core of us is pure consciousness of the non dual Self. The purpose is to shed the notion of separateness and JUST BE.
sounds like Genesis....
without form.......void

a non-dual 'self'.......would be the First to say ....I AM!
(no one else to hear the pronouncement)

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
see Genesis.....Chapter one

and sure it happened
and here we are
See "On the Origin of Species" chapters one through fourteen. The Genesis story is pure nonsense, Darwin science -- and here we are.

There are tens of thousands of books attesting to the correctness of Darwin. Just one -- still the only one, written by people ignorant of the world, ignorant of science, biology, physics, geology, plate tectonics, and hundreds of other disciplines -- who never-the-less proclaimed that they knew "the truth." They didn't. They made it up, out of whole cloth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
See "On the Origin of Species" chapters one through fourteen. The Genesis story is pure nonsense, Darwin science -- and here we are.

There are tens of thousands of books attesting to the correctness of Darwin. Just one -- still the only one, written by people ignorant of the world, ignorant of science, biology, physics, geology, plate tectonics, and hundreds of other disciplines -- who never-the-less proclaimed that they knew "the truth." They didn't. They made it up, out of whole cloth.
apparently ....you cannot deal with.....Spirit

Spirit ....First
as Creator
the First to say......I AM!

then the creation