• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Life

The purpose of life

• There is none

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • There is a purpose, and its . . . . .

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You know, I learned in early childhood that repeating the same thing over and over again until everybody got sick of it and gave in still didn't make it correct.
But then again, for a lot of the little kids I knew who did that, well, really it was all they had.

The ^ above ^ makes me think of the repetitive Catholic mass.
Today we have comprehensive concordances putting the Bible in alphabetical order with its corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses showing the internal harmony among the Bible writers. That way we can research the Bible by topic or by subject arrangement. That harmony shows the correct Bible teaching.

whirlingmerc

I just came across a blurb for a new book by Leo Severino titled, GOING DEEPER, which is said to address, in part, the purpose of life. Not able to read it, and I most likely never will, it got me thinking about RF folk here and what they thought, hence, my question, which can be answered as.

There is no purpose to life​
or
There is, and it's ________________________________________________ .

There is, and it's to love God and glorify Him (in part by enjoying Him forever)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And just like that the Bible was Not written in KJ English but Exodus was written in Hebrew.
I can't find in the Hebrew Interlinear I AM in all upper-case letters.
Also ' I am ' I find is Not the Tetragrammaton letters.
like I said....different texts for different believers

as for the quote....it is as I said

and I understand it

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
and I learned ...when people repeat what they say....
you're not getting the point

Someone had to be First
Yes, yes. As the kids do, "did not...did too, did not...did to."

As you have demonstrated conclusively that you cannot understand the subtlety of my argument, I will let you win the childish back and forth, because no matter I might respond with, you will reply (as you have many times now), "someone had to be first."

Enjoy your magnificent victory.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, yes. As the kids do, "did not...did too, did not...did to."

As you have demonstrated conclusively that you cannot understand the subtlety of my argument, I will let you win the childish back and forth, because no matter I might respond with, you will reply (as you have many times now), "someone had to be first."

Enjoy your magnificent victory.
it would be better if you enjoyed the simplicity of the thought

and I think you do

your denial won't let you admit it

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So god created humans to collect our love and bask in our glory of him. Sounds like a huge ego feeding to me: Love me, love me, love me, glorify me, glorify me, glorify me. More, more, more!
and if you were the First......

glorifying yourself might be a bit.....egotistic

and difficult

to be the ONLY ego.....can be very solitary

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I find since Jesus promised that it's humble meek people will inherit the Earth as found at Psalms 37:9-11, then to me the focus is more about Earth than Heaven, although Scripture does teach about some resurrected to heaven with Christ. They are the ones having a first or earlier resurrection as mentioned at Revelation 20:6; 5:9-10.
I find the Bible's hell is the hell place Jesus went the day he died according to Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
Since Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures teach ' sleep ' in death ( as per John 11:11-14; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Ecclesiastes 9:5 ) then while dead Jesus was in biblical hell ( a grave for the sleeping dead ) then Jesus was in a sleep-like state until his God resurrected Jesus out of temporary hell, back to living his former spirit life, but the majority of mankind ( John 3:13) can have a healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth when Christ's millennial reign over Earth begins.

With the wicked destroyed (Psalms 92:7; Proverbs 2:21-22) I find it interesting that according to Revelation 20:13-14 that 'everyone' in the Bible's hell will be ' delivered up ' (resurrected) out of biblical hell before the Bible's temporary hell is then cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for emptied-out biblical hell. Hurray! 'Enemy death will be No more' on Earth as per 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.

The Greek words used for eternal life for believers are the same words used for unbelievers in the NT. Either there is a literal Hell for unbelievers and eternal life for believers, or believers will be annihilated when the wicked are annihilated!

Skwim

Veteran Member
and if you were the First......

glorifying yourself might be a bit.....egotistic

and difficult

to be the ONLY ego.....can be very solitary
Okay, I guess I can see this.:shrug: Our purpose in life is to provide god with love, love, love, glorification, glorification, glorification, and more, more, more of it to help out his self-esteem and self-importance."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Greek words used for eternal life for believers are the same words used for unbelievers in the NT. Either there is a literal Hell for unbelievers and eternal life for believers, or believers will be annihilated when the wicked are annihilated!

The literal hell is the biblical hell where Jesus went the day Jesus died - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
The Bible's literal hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave until Resurrection Day.
( Resurrection Day being Jesus' Millennium-long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years )
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.
(KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as: hell fire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit ( Not a cemetery ) where things were destroyed and Not kept burning forever )
The resurrected heavenly Jesus has keys to unlock death and the grave ( biblical hell ) as per Revelation 1:18.
The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' as per Psalms 92:9; Proverbs 2:21-22.
Then the humble meek people will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 in connection to Psalms 37:9-11.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So god created humans to collect our love and bask in our glory of him. Sounds like a huge ego feeding to me: Love me, love me, love me, glorify me, glorify me, glorify me. More, more, more!

Any thoughts about Ephesians 1:12.
By always living a clean moral life we show God love and glorify God.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Any thoughts about Ephesians 1:12.
By always living a clean moral life we show God love and glorify God.
Pretty much amounts to the same thing doesn't it; pleasing god because that's what he wants. Love me, glorify me, more, more, more.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Pretty much amounts to the same thing doesn't it; pleasing god because that's what he wants. Love me, glorify me, more, more, more.

Since I find pleasing God means keeping the Golden Rule, then shouldn't we want the same for everyone to keep the Golden Rule which glorifies the God of the Bible.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Since I find pleasing God means keeping the Golden Rule, then shouldn't we want the same for everyone to keep the Golden Rule which glorifies the God of the Bible.
The golden rule---I would change the wording to "Do unto others as they wish"---is pretty good, and recommend it regardless if it pleases god or not. That it pleases god is simply incidental.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The golden rule---I would change the wording to "Do unto others as they wish"---is pretty good, and recommend it regardless if it pleases god or not. That it pleases god is simply incidental.

I find Leviticus 19:18 is Not incidental but part of the BIG picture in loving others.
Jesus even took the Golden Rule a step further in his NEW commandment found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

...and how do we love and glorify God more, more, more but by always keeping morally, physically and spiritually clean.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
it would be better if you enjoyed the simplicity of the thought

and I think you do

your denial won't let you admit it
Lot's of thoughts are quite simple -- and often enough, the simplicity can be enjoyed. However, simplicity or complexity, when incorrect in what it states, remains incorrect and thus, while possibly enjoyable, not of much use in developing knowledge of reality.

But perhaps reality isn't something that you care much about. That's fine, it just differs from my viewpoint. I'm more interested in understanding how things work, than in accepting the tidy (usually superficial and unuseful) nostrums of "true believers." It's been a hallmark of my life. You'd understand better if you -- like me -- grew up an atheist in a Quaker-run private boarding school. Give me science every time.

I repeat what I said earlier: if you declare that "someone had to be first," then you are going to have to look at the absolute reality of evolution, and point to that one variant child who was "human," even though you would claim that his parents were not. And more, even though they themselves, parents and child, would not have seen the difference.

I await you discourse on the matter.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Lot's of thoughts are quite simple -- and often enough, the simplicity can be enjoyed. However, simplicity or complexity, when incorrect in what it states, remains incorrect and thus, while possibly enjoyable, not of much use in developing knowledge of reality.

But perhaps reality isn't something that you care much about. That's fine, it just differs from my viewpoint. I'm more interested in understanding how things work, than in accepting the tidy (usually superficial and unuseful) nostrums of "true believers." It's been a hallmark of my life. You'd understand better if you -- like me -- grew up an atheist in a Quaker-run private boarding school. Give me science every time.

I repeat what I said earlier: if you declare that "someone had to be first," then you are going to have to look at the absolute reality of evolution, and point to that one variant child who was "human," even though you would claim that his parents were not. And more, even though they themselves, parents and child, would not have seen the difference.

I await you discourse on the matter.
you cannot circumvent what I posted

Someone had to be first

Thief

Rogue Theologian

oh no.....doing what YOU wish?

I don't think so