• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Path

PivotalSyntax

Spiritual Luftmensch
I want to state this question as simply as possible to avoid clutter.

The goal is enlightenment -- that is, a virtuous life free from delusion. The eastern religions/philosophies (Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.) proclaim a path to this enlightenment, and I believe it can be accepted that they are a path to some form of sublime mental state. But my question is, can philosophy be a path to a state such as this?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion, philosophy is associated with intellectual exploration. It can teach us about life and lead us to certain practices. But these spiritual 'mental' states are reached by clearing the mind and raising one's consciousness/awareness. Forgetting thought is a very important aspect in reaching such a state.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I don't know about "Forgetting Thought" but I certainly have experience with "Forgetting to Think". Does that mean I'm enlightened?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not sure I understand the OP. Philosophy directs action, both physical and mental. Why would that not be useful?

joea

Oshoyoi
I want to state this question as simply as possible to avoid clutter.

The goal is enlightenment -- that is, a virtuous life free from delusion. The eastern religions/philosophies (Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.) proclaim a path to this enlightenment, and I believe it can be accepted that they are a path to some form of sublime mental state. But my question is, can philosophy be a path to a state such as this?
Philosophies are mainly logic and rational. hence, the mysticism are only contained in religion. If philosophies, as you say, deals with some form of sublime mental state, then it becomes of the mind. In my own understanding of Buddha's teachings, is that, to move inwards, the mind has to be dropped. Hence, philosophy is only of the outer.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
The separation between philosophy and spirituality is false. Every major religion has a deep metaphysical framework, and most deal with important epistemological concerns. WESTERN ANALYTICAL philosophy has a tendency to be rational, sure, but try reading some of the phenomenologists and talk to me again about philosophy being rational. I'm sorry, but Lacan is about as rational as a screaming schizophrenic on meth.

The pursuit of philosophy also creates many of the same things that religion tends to create. It develops an ethical system guiding our actions and a worldview that shapes the way we understand phenomena around us.

Philosophy without spirit is boring. Spirit without philosophy is stupid.

can philosophy be a path to a state such as this?

Philosophy is an awesome path towards self-improvement in many ways. There are numerous philosophers who considered virtues, ethics, and morality - developing ideas like normative ethics and virtue theories that can help people improve themselves. As for a virtuous life that is free from delusion, I think philosophy can potentially free a person from some delusions, if not all. For example, a person may carefully consider certain ethical problems/frameworks from a philosophical point of view, taking into consideration the perspectives of various thinkers. Ultimately they may gain enough of an understanding of the problem to be able to shed any deulsions they may have had while adopting a reasonable perspective.