• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Passover Thread

dantech

So, how's everyone's cleaning going?
Going anywhere special for the holiday?

What are your opinions on this holiday?

dantech

My sister married a Sephardi and can eat kitniyos. I can't even eat gebrochts!

Her mother in law must be a great cook. All Sephardis are, I'm not exaggerating. It's a fact! :yes:

Cholesterol is through the roof though, with our type of cooking.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Her mother in law must be a great cook. All Sephardis are, I'm not exaggerating. It's a fact! :yes:

Cholesterol is through the roof though, with our type of cooking.

Yeah she likes Sephardi food a lot. I'm not a big fan of cumin though, so that cuts out 99.997% of all Sephardi food.

You think you guys have cholesterol problems?
Chopped Liver
P'tcha
Gribenes
Schmaltz

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Poor Ashkenazi Jews who don't eat them.

I'm Ashkenazi and I eat them. More and more Ashkenazim are abandoning the minhag shtut of not eating kitniyot. I know a number of Orthodox folks who got heterim from their rabbeyim to eat kitniyot for various reasons, and the Masorti movement (the international version of the Conservative movement) issued a blanket heter for Ashkenazim to eat kitniyot-- many if not most Conservative rabbis have also given the same heter.

At our karpas, we not only serve vegetables of all kinds-- green and other colors, raw, roasted, boiled, and grilled-- but we also serve fresh green beans and pea pods, and steamed corn on the cob.

Akivah

So, how's everyone's cleaning going?
Going anywhere special for the holiday?

What are your opinions on this holiday?

It's my favorite holiday. As the song goes, it's the most wonderful time of the year!

I used to write a new family Haggadah every two years or so and my wife would decorate it. My kid's favorite activity was hunting for the chametz. But instead of a candle and a feather, we used a flashlight and a portable vac. Ah, those were the days.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I got 4.5 lbs of hand matzah. So expensive. I want to start baking my own, but the oven is pretty expensive too. Also I'm a scaredy cat.

dantech

It's my favorite holiday. As the song goes, it's the most wonderful time of the year!

I used to write a new family Haggadah every two years or so and my wife would decorate it. My kid's favorite activity was hunting for the chametz. But instead of a candle and a feather, we used a flashlight and a portable vac. Ah, those were the days.

That's gotta be nice, writing your own Haggadah.

Probably my favorite holiday as well.

Will have a nice small "sixth night" family seder at my Mom's house with my sisters. Travelling a few states over to visit them, haven't seen them in a few months.

Also going to my first large community seder at the synagogue. And more traditional than I've been to before. I'm predicting it'll be awesome.

And the first time I've actually taken off from work/school for the holiday. Excited to spend that time in shul. (Just the bookends, not the Chol Ha-Moed)

Also, as my name suggests....Fast of the Firstborn.

Last edited:

CMike

Will have a nice small "sixth night" family seder at my Mom's house with my sisters. Travelling a few states over to visit them, haven't seen them in a few months.

Also going to my first large community seder at the synagogue. And more traditional than I've been to before. I'm predicting it'll be awesome.

And the first time I've actually taken off from work/school for the holiday. Excited to spend that time in shul. (Just the bookends, not the Chol Ha-Moed)

Welcome.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's hectic for us, but in a good way. Not only are we getting our house ready and planning our family seder, my wife is also planning our community seder at the synagogue and running the kitchen there this year.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Hi Yosef, and welcome to the DIR. I also love Pasach. I enjoy the celebration of freedom, both the individual and the community.

What part (s) do you like ? The spiritual part, the food, the culture ?

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

It's long been for me a good balance of solemn and joyful, of "meaningfulness" and fun, light-hearted and serious. And I always love food: who doesn't love charoset?

The themes are great, I love the way it reminds you of those who still are not free, those who cannot afford luxury of food and family and leisure, and those who fall in a battle or a struggle while you survive. Traditions such as the spilling of ten drops of wine.