• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Paradox of Atheism and God

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, we are part of the animal kingdom, the same as any other animal, and as such come with pre-programed instinctual behaviors that will continue to influence our behavior despite our emergence from a purely instinctual existence. Thankfully we are not a slave to instinctual behavior and can act and behave counter to a reflexive instinctual response.
We CAN, yes, but we seldom do. Progress is very slow, and halting, in this regard, as most of our instotutions seek forst and foremost to maintain themselves. Not to change. No king or president is looking for or to be a better leader. No corporate CEO is looking to give the consumer a better deal. No military general is trying to encourage free thought or action among his troops. These people gain these positions because they all want to be in control of the world around them. And the rest of us allow them to gain these positions because we want to follow them, not lead. And the 'indoctrination' that you dislike is a function of that dynamic. Changing the doctrine won't change these people's innate inclinations, and they will just reject any dogma that contradicts it.
Socialization helps strengthen and codify this ability to act counter to instinct.
I disagree. Cultural indoctrination is a manifestation of that instinct. And if you try to counter it, most people will try to reject it.
Hence, I'm more optimistic that we can move beyond static dogma to a more dynamic form of socialization. Progressive, incremental change is ongoing such that what is being indoctrinated improves over time. The development of societies with strong protections for free expression and exchange of ideas provide the space and opportunity for more choice and more freedom in belief.
Progress is slow and often halting. What one generation manages to learn is ignored and forgotten by the next. Those biological inclinations are strong and ever-present, while our "open minds' are not.
Now, with the internet age, access to information and ideas is becoming available to those in societies that do not have strong protections for free expression and exchange of ideas as well.
And look at the result. We are now divided 50/50 between those who want MORE authoritarianism and less 'free thinking" and those what want more free thinking and less authoritarianism. And the division becomes more entrenched every day, not less.
But this is a far cry from your assertion in post #519 in which you said "I can't think of any reason why any human could not choose to conceive of God in any way they like.
And that is true. But I can think of a number of reasons why they WON'T choose to do that, and will intead adopt whatrever god-image their rulers hand them. Because that is their human nature, and their comfort zone.
Nor why they would not have been able to do so at any time in the past."
They were always able to do so. Past, present, and future. But they were also always able to deny themselves that option. And many did, and do.
Given all the reasons we have discussed, including the intrinsic nature of human beings and the power of indoctrination, your assertion simply does not hold up, most especially in the past.
You are not grasping the fact that indoctrination is a manifestation of human behavior, not a cause. And it appears to me that this misconception is being used as justification for a prejudice that you hold onto and are not willing to let go of.

MikeF

Premium Member
You are not grasping the fact that indoctrination is a manifestation of human behavior, not a cause. And it appears to me that this misconception is being used as justification for a prejudice that you hold onto and are not willing to let go of.

The term "human behavior" broadly refers to all thoughts and actions of human beings, as individuals and in groups, the expression of which are the result of multiple factors and complex interactions.

Any particular thought, idea, concept being indoctrinated or conditioned into an individual or group of individuals is itself the result of a complex multifactoral process with thoughts, ideas, and concepts expressed today having been built from the building blocks of what has come before, evolving over generations.

Your assertion seems to be that indoctrination or conditioning cannot cause or influence a human being to exhibit certain or specific behaviors that they would not already exhibit or engage in. If that is the case, how to you account for variations in behaviors of custom, ritual, and taboo's that can vary widely across cultures? To claim that socialization, indoctrination, and conditioning cannot affect an individuals or group of individuals behavior does not fit with observation.

Therefore, is it me operating under a misconception? I would also ask for clarification on what particular prejudice I am trying to justify. What I describe above can hardly be considered a prejudice as it is simply describing what is easily observed and confirmable.

Kfox

Some people may think that atheism is the rejection of God, but what if atheism could actually incidentally end up the path to God? What if God exists, but not in the way that most religions claim? What if God is not a personal being, but a transcendent reality that can only be experienced through reason, logic, and evidence? Something which some atheists seem to be very familiar with.

Some people may say that atheists are doomed to hell for not following the Bible, but what is hell? Is it a literal place of fire and torment, or is it a metaphor for the suffering and despair that we create for ourselves and others? Is hell something that God imposes on us, or something that we impose on ourselves? Is hell eternal, or can it be overcome?

Perhaps hell is just especially real if one makes it a fear of theirs and a mental reality. Perhaps hell is the result of ignorance, hatred, and violence. Perhaps hell is the absence of love, compassion, and peace. Perhaps hell is not something that awaits us after death, but something that we experience in life.

If that is the case, then atheism may very well be the path to God. By rejecting the false and harmful notions of God that are propagated by some religions, atheists may be closer to the true nature of God than those who blindly follow them. By seeking truth and knowledge through reason and evidence, atheists "may" potentially be able to glimpse the divine order and beauty of the universe. By living morally and ethically without fear or coercion, atheists may be able to express the love and kindness that are the essence of God. In my opinion.

Maybe God does not care about what we believe, but about what we do. Maybe God does not want us to worship him, but to respect him. Maybe God does not demand our obedience, but our freedom.

Maybe atheism is not fully the rejection of God, but may end up one of many paths to the discovery of God.
Whatever it is you choose to call God can be anything you want it to be. However; I doubt very many people would call what you're describing God.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My old Signature Statement, which I still believe, was this: "Whatever caused this universe/multiverse I'll call 'God' and pretty much just leave it at that."

PureX

Veteran Member
My old Signature Statement, which I still believe, was this: "Whatever caused this universe/multiverse I'll call 'God' and pretty much just leave it at that."
I concur, but I still find the mystery useful in life through my own awareness of it's benevolent awesomeness. I am very grateful for the gift of my NOT being able to unravel this great mystery of existence ... not only of the origin of all that is, but of the sustenance and the purpose, as well. Because it's through this unknowing that we become able to wonder, and to speculate, and to dream, and to hope, and most of all, to act as if, in life.

MikeF

Premium Member
I concur, but I still find the mystery useful in life through my own awareness of it's benevolent awesomeness. I am very grateful for the gift of my NOT being able to unravel this great mystery of existence ... not only of the origin of all that is, but of the sustenance and the purpose, as well. Because it's through this unknowing that we become able to wonder, and to speculate, and to dream, and to hope, and most of all, to act as if, in life.

And I presume, to project upon, each according to their own needs and wants. To solve and bring clarity to the mystery would take the canvas away and bring up the house lights, breaking the self-created illusion. Happily for the dreamers, there shall remain sufficient canvas and darkness upon which to project for the foreseeable future. :)

PureX

Veteran Member
And I presume, to project upon, each according to their own needs and wants. To solve and bring clarity to the mystery would take the canvas away and bring up the house lights, breaking the self-created illusion. Happily for the dreamers, there shall remain sufficient canvas and darkness upon which to project for the foreseeable future. :)
If we had all the answers, what would be the point of our existing at all? We would be robots beholding to the 'Big Truth'. To deviate would be pointless, and to stay the course would be drudgery. The ignorance that you appear to despise is actually our greatest gift. It gives us freedom, and autonomy, and the ability to create ourselves according to our own desires and imaginations.

MikeF

Premium Member
If we had all the answers, what would be the point of our existing at all? We would be robots beholding to the 'Big Truth'. To deviate would be pointless, and to stay the course would be drudgery. The ignorance that you appear to despise is actually our greatest gift. It gives us freedom, and autonomy, and the ability to create ourselves according to our own desires and imaginations.

What you seem to not realize is that the freedom is already here. There is no point to our existing at all. One either accepts that and happily enjoys their brief period of existence as best they can, or they don't. Ignorance is not a gift, but a disability. We have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and with that, I see and appreciate the value of our current level of understanding over all previous generation, with that value starkly more obvious the further you look back in time. I am envious of what lies ahead for future generations, yet content to do my part to enable and improve that future in what little time and with what little ability I have.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Well said.

PureX

Veteran Member
What you seem to not realize is that the freedom is already here. There is no point to our existing at all.
How have you managed to determine this to be anything more than just your own fantasy about the truth of existence? And how is your fantasy about it superior to anyone else's?
One either accepts that and happily enjoys their brief period of existence as best they can, or they don't.
There are a huge number of other options. All of which you have apparently rejected, and now presume to be unavailable to everyone else, as well. Why?
Ignorance is not a gift, but a disability.
Only if you presume that we're supposed to 'know'. Or that we need to. Yet you just stated that there is no point to our knowing things except to satiate our own momentary desires. Which seems like pretty weak justification.
We have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and with that,...
Well, no, we really don't have that at all. We're just as ignorant about what has happened as we are about what is happening. Or what will happen.
I see and appreciate the value of our current level of understanding over all previous generation, with that value starkly more obvious the further you look back in time. I am envious of what lies ahead for future generations, yet content to do my part to enable and improve that future in what little time and with what little ability I have.
So you imagine.

MikeF

Premium Member
How have you managed to determine this to be anything more than just your own fantasy about the truth of existence? And how is your fantasy about it superior to anyone else's?
There are a huge number of other options. All of which you have apparently rejected, and now presume to be unavailable to everyone else, as well. Why?

My comment was, "There is no point to existence at all.", and I retract that statement. To their being a point to anything, there has to be a sentient consciousness to assign a point, a point therefore being wholly subjective. Anyone can assign a point to their existence as well as the existence for everything. It is simply stating a subjective preference.

Only if you presume that we're supposed to 'know'. Or that we need to. Yet you just stated that there is no point to our knowing things except to satiate our own momentary desires. Which seems like pretty weak justification.

Here I had said "Ignorance is not a gift, but a disability." This would be a purely subjective preference statement on my part. I disagree that such a stated preference means one is implying that we are supposed to know. One can want to know something regardless of what one is supposed to know, if anything. Again, it is simply a personal preference to know vs not knowing. Your opinion is noted that you find wanting to know things to satisfy momentary desires a weak reason to gain knowledge. To each their own.

Well, no, we really don't have that at all. We're just as ignorant about what has happened as we are about what is happening. Or what will happen.

Your point here seems to be that we can't know anything, to which I would strongly disagree. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

So you imagine.

Indeed. I assume this just reiterates the position that we can't know anything.

PureX

Veteran Member
My comment was, "There is no point to existence at all.", and I retract that statement. To their being a point to anything, there has to be a sentient consciousness to assign a point, a point therefore being wholly subjective. Anyone can assign a point to their existence as well as the existence for everything. It is simply stating a subjective preference.
Thank you for being honest. But why do you think you made this blind assumption (about there being no point to existence) in the first place? Isn't it because you want to reject at every turn the possibility that existence is sentient apart from us? Or that whatever the sorce of existence as we experience it is, that it may also be sentient in some way? Why? Why is it so important to you that these not be recognized as a possibility?
Here I had said "Ignorance is not a gift, but a disability." This would be a purely subjective preference statement on my part.
Why is this your preference? What do you gain by holding onto this particular bias?
I disagree that such a stated preference means one is implying that we are supposed to know. One can want to know something regardless of what one is supposed to know, if anything.
Yes, but when it becomes apparent that one cannot know what one wishes to know, how should one react to this? And why? This is the real question we face regarding the mystery of our own being, because how we react to not having access to 'the answers' defines who we are and who we are becoming.
Again, it is simply a personal preference to know vs not knowing.
But this particular preference cannot be satiated. All we can ever know are some of the physical mechanisms. And they are not the reasons. They do not answer the real existential questions that we humans ask about it all.
Your opinion is noted that you find wanting to know things to satisfy momentary desires a weak reason to gain knowledge. To each their own.
Now you're slandering me. That is not what I posted. What I posted is that it's illogical to pursue answers that are not available to us. Sure, we can learn things about the physical mechanics of existence, but those things are not going to answer our questions about the source, sustenance, or purpose of it all. If you are choosing to distract or delude yourself by chasing knowledge of the mechanisms and pretending there are no bigger questions to be asked, that is your choice. But it's just one of many possible choices one might take in regard to this human dilemma.
Your point here seems to be that we can't know anything, to which I would strongly disagree. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Well, we can't know anything for certain, and we can't know what anything we think we do know means in relation to the whole. So although we can learn a few things about the mechanics of physical existence, and we can use them to try and control the world around us, none of this really adds up to our acquiring any valid wisdom or truth. Which seem to be a very populsr delusion these days among those who for whatever reason really want to reject and dismiss the idea of any form of "god'.

MikeF

Premium Member
Thank you for being honest.

You’re welcome. :)

But why do you think you made this blind assumption (about there being no point to existence) in the first place? Isn't it because you want to reject at every turn the possibility that existence is sentient apart from us?

I would characterize my comment as my subjective assessment. Why would you characterize my comment as a blind assumption, i.e. one made without any relevant information whatsoever?

I would also strongly emphasize that it does not matter what I want, need, or desire, nor should it matter what you or anyone else wants etc. when making such assessments. The greater wants, needs, and desires play in one's assessment, the greater one's vulnerability to confirmation bias.

It is not about rejecting the speculation that “existence is sentient apart from us”, rather, it's a question of why entertain the speculation in the first place. What, beyond blind speculation, supports such a notion?

Or that whatever the sorce of existence as we experience it is, that it may also be sentient in some way? Why? Why is it so important to you that these not be recognized as a possibility?

What people believe affects everyone. When folks believe that artificial constructs of reality are real yet beyond physical perception, populated by imagined entities that are imagined to impose requirements on all human beings, there is no way to challenge such entities or hold them to account. Once the premise of this unreachable realm is accepted, anyone can populate the artificial construct with whatever entity they choose, with a whole different set of requirements to be imposed on man. It is for these reasons that care and discernment is important when evaluating the wide variety of speculations concerning existence.

Why is this your preference? What do you gain by holding onto this particular bias?

Why do I prefer knowledge over ignorance? Lots and lots of reasons. Increased life expectancy and comfort to start. Would you prefer to live in a state of nature as a pre-linqual homo sapien? That’s fine if you do.

Yes, but when it becomes apparent that one cannot know what one wishes to know, how should one react to this? And why? This is the real question we face regarding the mystery of our own being, because how we react to not having access to 'the answers' defines who we are and who we are becoming.

I, and others, are quite sanguine about the fact that there are many things we wish we could know but realize are not knowable in the foreseeable future and may never be knowable. Is that simply a personality quirk of some percentage of the population or is it something most can be socialized to? Given what would be required for a controlled study, I don’t think it is possible to conduct one. Instead, we can only observe society over time and track trends.

It seems to me that the trend appears to be moving toward more folks being sanguine and accepting of the unknown and moving away from the fixed, pre-packaged answers to existence despite being indoctrinated in the ready answers of religion. I suppose only time will tell if there really is a trend and whether it will continue.

But this particular preference cannot be satiated. All we can ever know are some of the physical mechanisms. And they are not the reasons. They do not answer the real existential questions that we humans ask about it all.

As I implied above, one either accepts the fact that we aren’t going to have all our questions answered in our lifetime, or one doesn’t. Not accepting doesn’t change the facts, though.

You seem rather dismissive of what we have achieved to date in our understanding of the Cosmos and ourselves. Perhaps because you do not like the growing picture developing from that knowledge. Wanting or needing a particular outcome leads to confirmation bias.

Now you're slandering me. That is not what I posted. What I posted is that it's illogical to pursue answers that are not available to us. Sure, we can learn things about the physical mechanics of existence, but those things are not going to answer our questions about the source, sustenance, or purpose of it all. If you are choosing to distract or delude yourself by chasing knowledge of the mechanisms and pretending there are no bigger questions to be asked, that is your choice. But it's just one of many possible choices one might take in regard to this human dilemma.

Did not intend slander. I strongly disagree with the position that it is illogical to pursue answers that are not available to us. It is that very effort that ever expands our sphere of knowledge. Your position, if maintained over the last 100,000 years of homo sapien existence, would have only served to maintain and preserve the state of ignorance of 100,000 years ago.

You claim that learning about “the physical mechanics of existence” is not going to answer questions about the source of all that exist. Why? How do you know? What informs that position? You claim there is a “purpose of it all”. To claim a purpose displays bias on your part, yes? Shouldn’t the question be whether there is or isn’t a purpose instead of assuming a purpose? I suppose even asking the question of purpose requires the existence of an entity to which a purpose belongs or is attributed to. Has such an entity been established? To my knowledge, no such entity has.

Well, we can't know anything for certain, and we can't know what anything we think we do know means in relation to the whole. So although we can learn a few things about the mechanics of physical existence, and we can use them to try and control the world around us, none of this really adds up to our acquiring any valid wisdom or truth. Which seem to be a very populsr delusion these days among those who for whatever reason really want to reject and dismiss the idea of any form of "god'.

Given our limitations, our flaws and fallibilities, I would say that the knowledge that we hold, we hold with varying degrees of confidence, some with great confidence and some that are on the edge of our understanding, held with much less confidence. As I indicated above, this process of the many millennia has formed an ever clearer understanding of the world.

To say that we can’t know how what we know relates to the whole of existence is true, but there is no getting around that. We don’t know what we don’t know. That is just one of the things we have to accept and be sanguine about.

As to wisdom, that is a whole different kettle of fish. Having full and complete understanding of the cosmos and existence does not necessarily equate to wisdom in my opinion. Wisdom, morality, ethics are all subjective and come down to managing human behavior. Recognizing that we are still instinctual animals is a good first step.

As to rejecting any form of “god”, it is not about rejecting. It is all about acknowledging human flaws and fallibilities first and foremost, disregarding the needs, wants, and desires of the individual, and looking at what our current body of knowledge and understanding supports. The label ‘god’ can only be said to label a particular category of mythical entities. Outside of that it is currently meaningless. Even if you only want to claim its use as a label for an abstract concept, it is currently used with such widely varying sets of characteristics and properties that it makes the label useless.

It hardly seems delusional to hold knowledge with varying and appropriate degrees of confidence, acknowledge and be sanguine about what is unknown and may never be known, and to not simply answer unanswerable questions to suit one’s own personal needs, wants, and desires.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Maybe God does not care about what we believe, but about what we do. Maybe God does not want us to worship him, but to respect him. Maybe God does not demand our obedience, but our freedom.

Maybe atheism is not fully the rejection of God, but may end up one of many paths to the discovery of God.
Hell yeah.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I formerly considered myself non-theist due to thinking that the ideas surrounding atheism could be conceptualized and discussed openly, but now I changed my mind to agnostic, realizing that atheism is a specific position that hides behind a definition and neither wants praise nor criticism or scrutiny, but that being said, I still deeply apologize for any offense taken, especially at myself going to lengths to describe what I saw in most atheists.

As for brownie points, let it land where it may.
The only position atheism hides behind is philosophy.

PureX

Veteran Member
You’re welcome. :)

I would characterize my comment as my subjective assessment. Why would you characterize my comment as a blind assumption, i.e. one made without any relevant information whatsoever?
All our assessments are blind assumptions ... although that was a poor choice of phrase on my part. More accurately, they are all just theories that we adopt and/or developed based on personal needs, perceptions, and experiences.
I would also strongly emphasize that it does not matter what I want, need, or desire, nor should it matter what you or anyone else wants etc. when making such assessments. The greater wants, needs, and desires play in one's assessment, the greater one's vulnerability to confirmation bias.
Nevertheless, they are all we have to go on, and they ARE what we go on. We can pretend we are not human til the cows fly, but we are human, nevertheless, and human we will remain.
It is not about rejecting the speculation that “existence is sentient apart from us”, rather, it's a question of why entertain the speculation in the first place.
Because it IS A POSSIBILITY. And because none of us can rule it out.
What, beyond blind speculation, supports such a notion?
Mostly, the positive results (if such are manifesting) of adopting that theory as our own. Which is no more or less so than with any other theory one might choose to adopt. You seem to be forgetting that our unknowing brings us the gift of imagination and free will, not the imprisonment of endless, groundless, doubt.
What people believe affects everyone.
My suggestion would be that we stop this obsession with our "beliefs" and start being honest with ourselves about what we can actually know to be so vs. what we can only theorize to be so. Let's let go of the lie of presumed truth and adopt a stance of humble honesty, instead.
When folks believe that artificial constructs of reality are real yet beyond physical perception, populated by imagined entities that are imagined to impose requirements on all human beings, there is no way to challenge such entities or hold them to account. Once the premise of this unreachable realm is accepted, anyone can populate the artificial construct with whatever entity they choose, with a whole different set of requirements to be imposed on man. It is for these reasons that care and discernment is important when evaluating the wide variety of speculations concerning existence.
"Belief" is a problem regardless of the "artificial constructs of reality" the believer are choosing to apply it to. And that goes for all of us.
I, and others, are quite sanguine about the fact that there are many things we wish we could know but realize are not knowable in the foreseeable future and may never be knowable.
Yes, but for some reason this does not translate into your being open-minded toward the many other equally viable possibilities that you have chosen to reject. Resulting in your constant antagonism toward them and roward those that hold them. Why is this?
As I implied above, one either accepts the fact that we aren’t going to have all our questions answered in our lifetime, or one doesn’t. Not accepting doesn’t change the facts, though.
Still, you are presuming as if it were a fact that we CAN discover the answers. That we could recognize and understand those answers if they were to placed before us. Which is yet another of those 'blind presumptions' that we humans are so prone to, and that are quite unfounded.
You seem rather dismissive of what we have achieved to date in our understanding of the Cosmos and ourselves. Perhaps because you do not like the growing picture developing from that knowledge. Wanting or needing a particular outcome leads to confirmation bias.
Well, 4% is not an impressive degree of "knowledge". Especially when the margin for error in the face of that much 'unknown' is greater than the percentage presumed to be known.
I strongly disagree with the position that it is illogical to pursue answers that are not available to us.
It is illogical to pursue them while neglecting the many practical problems that we are immediately facing, and that we could learn to resolve. Pursuing cosmological knowledge while neglecting the unnecessary suffering of our fellow humans is a grotesque degree of hubris that science and the scientism crown routinely seems to promote.
You claim that learning about “the physical mechanics of existence” is not going to answer questions about the source of all that exist. Why? How do you know? What informs that position?
The fact that it cannot even investigate the questions beyond physical function, for one thing. And the fact that every "answer" science produces stands as a bias controlling the next question that it asks.
You claim there is a “purpose of it all”.
I claim only that this is a logical possibility.
To say that we can’t know how what we know relates to the whole of existence is true, but there is no getting around that. We don’t know what we don’t know. That is just one of the things we have to accept and be sanguine about.
We don't know what we think we do know, either. We just think we know it. This is what you continue to refuse to accept. All I'm saying is that we stop deluding ourselves in this way, and accept that all our knowledge is suspect. Not just that which we personally happen to disagree with.
As to wisdom, that is a whole different kettle of fish.
It is the form of "knowledge" that matters. Because wisdom is about what we DO with what we think we know.
Having full and complete understanding of the cosmos and existence does not necessarily equate to wisdom in my opinion. Wisdom, morality, ethics are all subjective and come down to managing human behavior. Recognizing that we are still instinctual animals is a good first step.
There is no point to having or pursuing "knowledge" without a logical, reasonable, positive goal for it's application. Chasing knowledge apart from wisdom is like chasing after money when we have no idea how, why, or where to spend it.
As to rejecting any form of “god”, it is not about rejecting ...
No, it's about 'rejecting' the theist ideal. If it were just about objecting to the intellectual pretense, you'd be as adamantly skeptical of your own existential theories as you are of theirs. But you are very clearly not. You defend you own with every post, while you attack theirs.
It is all about acknowledging human flaws and fallibilities first and foremost, ...
No ... I'm not buying this. You're attacking THEIR flaws and fallibility. While you're denying or defending your own.
It hardly seems delusional to hold knowledge with varying and appropriate degrees of confidence, ...
Well, unless it's simply support for a bias.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ahh, and there then lies the self-deception and why we shall never see eye to eye. :)
If it were a deception, as you are claiming, then you should be able to explain how we can know it.

But you can't. You only 'believe' it. The same as anyone else believes anything. But as a "true believer" you can't see it that way. For you, there is no difference between the truth, and what you believe to be the true. Same as the theistic "true believers" you constantly disparage. It's a self-blinding bias.

MikeF

Premium Member
If it were a deception, as you are claiming, then you should be able to explain how we can know it.

Explain why a claim that there is a purpose to existence is logically possible is a false claim? Or better still, that existence is sentient independent of the individuals with sentience contained within it cannot be shown to be logically possible? Logic is simply an algorithm. It takes input, uses operations to create associations between the inputs and provides an output, or conclusion. The quality or factualness of the input, or lack thereof, affects the output or conclusion. Given the available set of facts and theories, one cannot logically conclude that either of those speculations are possible.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Some people may think that atheism is the rejection of God, but what if atheism could actually incidentally end up the path to God? What if God exists, but not in the way that most religions claim? What if God is not a personal being, but a transcendent reality that can only be experienced through reason, logic, and evidence? Something which some atheists seem to be very familiar with.

Some people may say that atheists are doomed to hell for not following the Bible, but what is hell? Is it a literal place of fire and torment, or is it a metaphor for the suffering and despair that we create for ourselves and others? Is hell something that God imposes on us, or something that we impose on ourselves? Is hell eternal, or can it be overcome?

Perhaps hell is just especially real if one makes it a fear of theirs and a mental reality. Perhaps hell is the result of ignorance, hatred, and violence. Perhaps hell is the absence of love, compassion, and peace. Perhaps hell is not something that awaits us after death, but something that we experience in life.

If that is the case, then atheism may very well be the path to God. By rejecting the false and harmful notions of God that are propagated by some religions, atheists may be closer to the true nature of God than those who blindly follow them. By seeking truth and knowledge through reason and evidence, atheists "may" potentially be able to glimpse the divine order and beauty of the universe. By living morally and ethically without fear or coercion, atheists may be able to express the love and kindness that are the essence of God. In my opinion.

That sounds morel like Deism.