• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Obamas are Producing a Comedy Series About Trump's Incompetence

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Vanity Fair Article

The series, to be aired on Netflix, is a combination documentary/comedy about the Trump Administration's massive incompetence in handling the 2016 transition between the Obama and Trump governments.

At first, the transition was more or less going well when Chris Christie was in charge of it, but then the easily manipulated Trump fired Christie at the behest of Jared Kushner, who was seeking revenge. Christie had put Kushner's father behind bars about a decade earlier on 18 criminal convictions for illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering, and Kushner -- rather than blame his father for being a criminal -- blamed Christie for convicting his father of his crimes.

Following Christie's firing, Trump took over the transition more or less by himself, leading to hilarious (and disastrous) consequences.

Comments?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Vanity Fair Article

The series, to be aired on Netflix, is a combination documentary/comedy about the Trump Administration's massive incompetence in handling the 2016 transition between the Obama and Trump governments.

At first, the transition was more or less going well when Chris Christie was in charge of it, but then the easily manipulated Trump fired Christie at the behest of Jared Kushner, who was seeking revenge. Christie had put Kushner's father behind bars about a decade earlier on 18 criminal convictions for illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering, and Kushner -- rather than blame his father for being a criminal -- blamed Christie for convicting his father of his crimes.

Following Christie's firing, Trump took over the transition more or less by himself, leading to hilarious (and disastrous) consequences.

Comments?

Ain't politics interesting?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Vanity Fair Article

Comments?

I hope this rumour is not true. I think it would demean Obama to be associated with something that might look like revenge. But if someone were to make a series and interview Obama for some anecdotes, that would be fine.

A Vestigial Mote

Seems like bottom-feeder type of stuff, to be honest. Trump is an idiot, yes, but it seems weird that a former president would involve themselves in a sort of carnival act like this. Even some small bits of Obama's recent Trump-bashing speech had me cringing somewhat at what seemed pretty low blows that someone who had reached presidential stature usually doesn't stoop to in experience (barring Trump, obviously, who barely did anything but stoop). But that's just the point - if anybody takes anything away from Trump's public/social behavior while in office it should be "Don't be a Trump."

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Vanity Fair Article

Comments?

Yay capitalism. Hopefully, it turns out more funny than vindictive.

Eyes to See

I figure it might be partial payback for Trump's attempt to dismantle the entire Obama presidential legacy.

Payback. Aren't many people in positions of power petty? Jesus said to return evil for evil to no one. To treat others the way you want to be treated.

I recall watching a video awhile ago about Trump and one of the reasons he wanted to run for President could have been the way Obama mocked and belittled him in public when he invited Trump to be a guest at some event. It looked like two petulant brats...

Ima go do a YouTube search and see if I can find the video in question:

Here it is:

There was another one where President Obama mocked Trump and bragged that he (Obama) was President and Trump wasn't. Really petty stuff going on between these two egotistical politicians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yay capitalism. Hopefully, it turns out more funny than vindictive.
Politically inspired humor is too often written for the choir.
A friend was once a stand up comic. He explained how
you don't even need real jokes with the right crowd.
Back in the day, he could get a laugh just by saying
"That George Bush". It was a cue to laugh...a shared
mocking based upon something so shared it need
only be mentioned.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Politically inspired humor is too often written for the choir.
A friend was once a stand up comic. He explained how
you don't even need real jokes with the right crowd.
Back in the day, he could get a laugh just by saying
"That George Bush". It was a cue to laugh...a shared
mocking based upon something so shared it need
only be mentioned.

True, political jokes often fall flat on the ears of the opposing party.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True, political jokes often fall flat on the ears of the opposing party.
And any not of the tribe.
There are these frequent commercials for something called a
"Samantha Bee" are riddled with unfunny appeals to partisans.
Dis someone, mug for the camera, & exaggerated speech.
That doesn't do it for me.

Eyes to See

And any not of the tribe.
There are these frequent commercials for something called a
"Samantha Bee" are riddled with unfunny appeals to partisans.
Dis someone, mug for the camera, & exaggerated speech.
That doesn't do it for me.

I have always felt distaste and have had disdain for comedians who mock a leader. Mainly because of what I was taught when I was a child:

You must not curse God nor curse a chieftain among your people."-Exodus 22:18.

Later when Paul was brought before the Jewish high court and was slapped by the high priest and this exchange occurred:

"Looking intently at the Sanʹhe·drin, Paul said: “Men, brothers, I have behaved before God with a perfectly clear conscience down to this day.” At this the high priest An·a·niʹas ordered those standing by him to strike him on the mouth.  Then Paul said to him: “God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you sit to judge me according to the Law and at the same time violate the Law by commanding me to be struck?” Those standing by said: “Are you insulting the high priest of God?”  And Paul said: “Brothers, I did not know he was high priest. For it is written, ‘You must not speak injuriously of a ruler of your people.’”-Acts 23:1-5.

I recall when I was younger Jay Leno on the Tonight Show was constantly making jokes about whatever President was in office at the time. I never appreciated it. Anyone in a position of authority deserves respect, even if the person is a disrespectful person, the office they hold calls for respect. Whether it be a parent in the household, a teacher at school, an officer of the law, or a leader of the people, a mayor, a governor, or a President just as scripture says:

"Render to all their dues: to the one who calls for the tax, the tax; to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to the one who calls for fear, such fear; to the one who calls for honor, such honor."-Romans 13:7.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Vanity Fair Article

Comments?

Who will be playing the presidents in the show?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have always felt distaste and have had disdain for comedians who mock a leader. Mainly because of what I was taught when I was a child:

Later when Paul was brought before the Jewish high court and was slapped by the high priest and this exchange occurred:

"Looking intently at the Sanʹhe·drin, Paul said: “Men, brothers, I have behaved before God with a perfectly clear conscience down to this day.” At this the high priest An·a·niʹas ordered those standing by him to strike him on the mouth.  Then Paul said to him: “God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you sit to judge me according to the Law and at the same time violate the Law by commanding me to be struck?” Those standing by said: “Are you insulting the high priest of God?”  And Paul said: “Brothers, I did not know he was high priest. For it is written, ‘You must not speak injuriously of a ruler of your people.’”-Acts 23:1-5.

I recall when I was younger Jay Leno on the Tonight Show was constantly making jokes about whatever President was in office at the time. I never appreciated it. Anyone in a position of authority deserves respect, even if the person is a disrespectful person, the office they hold calls for respect. Whether it be a parent in the household, a teacher at school, an officer of the law, or a leader of the people, a mayor, a governor, or a President just as scripture says:

"Render to all their dues: to the one who calls for the tax, the tax; to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to the one who calls for fear, such fear; to the one who calls for honor, such honor."-Romans 13:7.
I like mocking leaders.
Alas, it often just isn't funny.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

That of course refers to Jews. Jews mustn't lightly accuse their leaders. Similarly Christians mustn't lightly accuse elders and bishops. This seems different, because these are elected officials who represent the will of the people and derive their authority from the people. I would say that we shouldn't lightly accuse any professional who has demonstrated dedication and skill such as teachers and scientists and steelworkers or anyone really who deserves respect. These elected officials though and their appointees I'm not so sure about.

ecco

Veteran Member
I recall watching a video awhile ago about Trump and one of the reasons he wanted to run for President could have been the way Obama mocked and belittled him in public when he invited Trump to be a guest at some event. It looked like two petulant brats...

Seriously? Trump became an ahole because Obama made some cracks during a roast? WOW! I wonder how Trump would have reacted to comments by Don Rickles?!?

But we all know that Trump is a narcissistic bully who loves to dish it but can't take it.

That probably describes some of his most loyal followers too.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

Aye, I was taught obedience to authority as well. I was also taught that respect is to be earned, not given. One of these things I still hold true to today, and I'm pretty sure you can guess which one that is. :D

Eyes to See

That of course refers to Jews. Jews mustn't lightly accuse their leaders. Similarly Christians mustn't lightly accuse elders and bishops. This seems different, because these are elected officials who represent the will of the people and derive their authority from the people. I would say that we shouldn't lightly accuse any professional who has demonstrated dedication and skill such as teachers and scientists and steelworkers or anyone really who deserves respect. These elected officials though and their appointees I'm not so sure about.

The quote in the Law was given to the Jews, but its principle still holds true. It gives us the mind of God How he views authority.

The quote in Romans 13 is in reference to the "superior authorities" and is talking about governmental officials. That is obviously the case because it tells you to pay them their taxes, give them their dues, and the honor they demand. A Christian is to be a respectable, law abiding citizen, obedient to the government in the land he is in, and giving honor to those God has allowed to rule:

"Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves. 3 For those rulers are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad."-Romans 13:1-3.

An example is recalled to mind now. It has to do with saluting of the flag. Jehovah's Witnesses view a pledge of allegiance to any flag as a form of idol worship and therefore refrain because of their worship to Jehovah God.

The issue came to a head in one school where a Jehovah's Witness youth never said the pledge of allegiance with his class. he would stand respectfully but would not place his hand on his heart, and not state the pledge. The teacher was very angry, irate in fact at this. And so he planned a trick. One morning he called the witness youth into a private office away from everyone and there he had the flag and told the child to spit on it. The child refused. He said, why? You don't pledge allegiance to the flag, what is wrong with spitting on it? The child replied, "I don't worship the flag, but I will not disrespect the authority God has allowed to be." something along those lines.

Well the teacher was impressed. He then called another student who did say the pledge into the office and tried the same on him he said: spit on the flag. The student immediately spit on it. And the teacher was taken aback and said, "why do you spit on the flag you pledge your allegiance to?" The child responded, because you told me to do so.

The teacher concluded that the Jehovah's Witness youth, although not pledging allegiance to the flag, had the proper and real respect for it.

Eyes to See

Aye, I was taught obedience to authority as well. I was also taught that respect is to be earned, not given. One of these things I still hold true to today, and I'm pretty sure you can guess which one that is. :D

True. It is easier to respect someone that behaves respectably. But it is good also to remember, it is not the person who is special, it is the office, or the assignment. It is not the person behaving disrespectfully, but the position they hold that demands the respect. Because really if God has allowed the authority, the way you treat it is the way you treat God.

In Israel when God appointed Moses to lead the Israelites, and the people complained against Moses Jehovah took offense personally at it as if they were complaining directly against him.

pearl

I figure it might be partial payback for Trump's attempt to dismantle the entire Obama presidential legacy.

Its hard to find any humor. I think it all started with Trump and his joining the birther movement demanding Obama's birth certificate proving he was born in the US. And again when Obama released it, Trump took the credit for its release. And as stated, Trump was humiliated at the WH Correspondents Dinner.

Even some small bits of Obama's recent Trump-bashing speech had me cringing somewhat at what seemed pretty low blows that someone who had reached presidential stature usually

Its because of the 'presidential stature' that the real threat to the Republic so recognized. The silence of George W in any defense spoke volumes.