• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most amazing animal?

Nimos

This is not about which animal you like the most, but rather which one you consider the most amazing in regard to its capabilities. (Humans not allowed :D)

For me, I think it will be the octopus. Besides its crazy ability to change color, it is probably also the animal that demonstrates the closest thing to being intelligent that there is, despite having evolved in a completely different direction than us.

What animal do you think is the most amazing?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This one, because it can play the drums...

1702909484430.jpeg

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
My favourite animals are the pinipeds: seals, sea lions and walruses

I think they are cool because they are very cute and good swimmers

I love their big deep watery black eyes

I can do a good seal impression too

There is a breeding beach in rural Lincolnshire called Donor Nook where you can see the mothers and babies, when the seals are not using it the Royal Air Force use it as a bombing range! So it is not safe for humans but no seal has ever been blown up

I have also been to the seal sanctuary in Cornwall where you can see them close up, in 2006 I sponsored a sea lion there named Carus but he had since died, he was a big and magnificent creature

If I ever go to California I will be sure to see the sea lions who live in a harbour there

Last edited:

libre

Skylark
I can't for the life of me remember what species the bird was but I remember visiting the Montreal biodome ~2013ish and there was this bird that was walking around undoing the shoe laces of tourists. Oftentimes, sneaking up on the same tourist 3 or 4 times.

I have never before and never since seen an animal so dedicated to inconveniencing humans, so it would have to be my top pick.

I did find a vlog of one of the birds in question, can anyone ID the species? :

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is not about which animal you like the most, but rather which one you consider the most amazing in regard to its capabilities. (Humans not allowed :D)

For me, I think it will be the octopus. Besides its crazy ability to change color, it is probably also the animal that demonstrates the closest thing to being intelligent that there is, despite having evolved in a completely different direction than us.

The octopus is a great selection.

To add some more I find .....

Tardigrades - sheer endurance

Green slug- half plant/half animal

Biological viruses- not alive but not dead either.

Turritopsis dohrnii - immortal jellyfish

....at the top of my list of amazing animals.

We Never Know

No Slack

Just as much weird as amazing

Leeches have 10 stomachs, 32 brains, 9 pairs of testicles and several hundred teeth.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Octopi are wonderful
I've heard said that within a few thousand years pigs and corvidae will be entering their version of a stone age.
Many of the great apes and some birds already use tools.

Twilight Hue

I can't for the life of me remember what species the bird was but I remember visiting the Montreal biodome ~2013ish and there was this bird that was walking around undoing the shoe laces of tourists. Oftentimes, sneaking up on the same tourist 3 or 4 times.

I have never before and never since seen an animal so dedicated to inconveniencing humans, so it would have to be my top pick.

I like that. Heh.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I once came across a magpie while visiting the village of Avebury in Wiltshire, England, that simply would not leave my shoe laces alone -- even when I was trying to walk! I found it very amusing and quite delightful, actually.

Like Nimos, I very much like Octopi, but am also rather fond of cuttlefish, especially when they are being hypnotic.

Twilight Hue

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Damn you, I was going to say octopus! Have you read

Other Minds: The Octopus, The Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness​

by Peter Godfrey-Smith?

If not, you may find it interesting.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Corvids. Especially ravens and crows.
In the town where I is there is a place where people feed the ducks with bread and the jackdaws swoop down and take the food intended for the ducks, you can tell they're clever just by watching them

We Never Know

No Slack
That and octopuses have 9 brains although compared to 32 brains ......
Interesting that none named here made this list...