• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most amazing animal?

We Never Know

No Slack
In our new house we get visited by a crow. One scary mother. The cats avoid it, probably with good reason.

Crows are very smart. Some claim way smarter than dogs.

"Crows are smarter than dogs. The average dog may possess an intelligence level similar to that of a two-year-old human, but crows are thought to be as intelligent (if not more so) as a seven-year-old human"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Interesting that none named here made this list...

I did mention great apes, i guess chimpanzees count in that

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You have to watch them around your chickens up here. They'll **** em up for some eggs.
We put bird food out. There could be several species there happily dining together. Then the crow turns up and everyone's like "No please, help yourself, I've had ample, I'm just leaving..."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We put bird food out. There could be several species there happily dining together. Then the crow turns up and everyone's like "No please, help yourself, I've had ample, I'm just leaving..."

I put corn out for squirrels and birds(both whole kernel and cracked). The crows and squirrels(red) will eat side by side out of the feeder. Its a wooden feeder 3 foot x 2 foot.
I've seen squirrels, pigeons and crows sharing scraps.

libre

Skylark
Crows are very smart. Some claim way smarter than dogs.

"Crows are smarter than dogs. The average dog may possess an intelligence level similar to that of a two-year-old human, but crows are thought to be as intelligent (if not more so) as a seven-year-old human"

I've read that Corvids typically are evaluated to have higher intelligence than Parrots.
I used to own a parrot, and found that quite surprising. Raven's oughta fire their marketing team.

wellwisher

One of the most amazing animals is the hummingbird. It is the smallest of the bird species. However, this little bird can fly up to 60 mph. It is the smallest migratory bird. They can hover and are the only bird that can fly backwards. The coolest things is that some species of hummingbirds can change color. Their feathers are hollow and they can alter the diameter of the feathers and thereby alter the way sunlight refracts through their feathers for the appearance of a color change.

Hummingbirds have the highest mass-specific metabolic rate of any homeothermic animal.[5][6] To conserve energy when food is scarce and at night when not foraging, they can enter torpor, a state similar to hibernation, and slow their metabolic rate to 1/15 of its normal rate.[6][7] While most hummingbirds do not migrate, the rufous hummingbird has one of the longest migrations among birds, traveling twice per year between Alaska and Mexico, a distance of about 3,900 miles (6,300 km).

Where I used to live, a mated pair of hummingbirds would migrate to Mexico for the winter and return back to Coastal New Hampshire, where I live at that time, to have some chicks, then fly back in late summer. We would recognize each other, in early summer, signally the time to get the feeders out.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I can't for the life of me remember what species the bird was but I remember visiting the Montreal biodome ~2013ish and there was this bird that was walking around undoing the shoe laces of tourists. Oftentimes, sneaking up on the same tourist 3 or 4 times.

I have never before and never since seen an animal so dedicated to inconveniencing humans, so it would have to be my top pick.

I did find a vlog of one of the birds in question, can anyone ID the species? :
Looks like something between a guinea fowl and a moorhen. But I'm afraid I don't know what it is.