• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Metaphysician

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hansen_Ejnar_Metaphysician_1980.040_bigweb1.jpg

The Seven Laws of Metaphysics
The Law of Life

The Law of Life encourages those who practice metaphysics to look at the relationship between them and the outside world and then to evaluate these components. To be good to the outside world and to think good thoughts helps the person experience good things. On the other side of things, to be a bad person with negative thoughts and poor actions means that the relationship in between the person and his or her environment will always be unpleasant.

The Law of Truth

This says that truth is always the best path and that it will succeed over lies or falsehoods. People who practice metaphysics are encouraged to always tell the truth, but to be compassionate about it and to have insightful discretion.

The Law of Compensation

This is the law that is most similar to the concept of karma. The Law of Compensation says that when a person puts positive work into the world, positive things will happen to him or her. On the opposite side of things, if a person thinks negative thoughts and has poor spirituality then he or she will experience bad situations again and again.

The Law of Abundance

The idea that when a person offers services, help, kind words, or any other positive idea or act, this person will see positivity in his or her life tenfold. Putting out good vibes and positive thoughts into the world means that more good vibes and positive thoughts will come back.

The Law of Love

The Law of Love says that there is a creative force of all life in the universe and that it is both inside every living thing and also surrounds them. This creative force can be manifested in the power of love and is everywhere in both the seen and unseen planes of existence.

The Law of Perfection

This law states since all objects, plants, animals and people are part of the creative force inside of them and since that creative force is perfect, all things have the opportunity and ability to become perfect. Perfection is achieved by having a good spiritual and earthly balance, by thinking positive thoughts and by engaging in positive actions.

The Law of Freedom

One of the most important laws in metaphysics. Since people who practice metaphysics do not believe in an all-powerful figure, they feel that they have total control over their bodies and actions. Free will ties into all of these other laws because free will is what allows someone to control their thought process to make it happy or sad. Free will also allow people to choose their actions to be a good or bad person.
The 7 Laws of Metaphysical Belief

Do you believe in any of these laws?

Do you agree that this is what metaphysics is about?

I'll admit when people start talking about metaphysics, I have no idea what they are talking about.
It still seems a belief in unverifiable forces to me.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

The Law of Life

The Law of Life encourages those who practice metaphysics to look at the relationship between them and the outside world and then to evaluate these components. To be good to the outside world and to think good thoughts helps the person experience good things. On the other side of things, to be a bad person with negative thoughts and poor actions means that the relationship in between the person and his or her environment will always be unpleasant.

The Law of Truth

This says that truth is always the best path and that it will succeed over lies or falsehoods. People who practice metaphysics are encouraged to always tell the truth, but to be compassionate about it and to have insightful discretion.

The Law of Compensation

This is the law that is most similar to the concept of karma. The Law of Compensation says that when a person puts positive work into the world, positive things will happen to him or her. On the opposite side of things, if a person thinks negative thoughts and has poor spirituality then he or she will experience bad situations again and again.

The Law of Abundance

The idea that when a person offers services, help, kind words, or any other positive idea or act, this person will see positivity in his or her life tenfold. Putting out good vibes and positive thoughts into the world means that more good vibes and positive thoughts will come back.

The Law of Love

The Law of Love says that there is a creative force of all life in the universe and that it is both inside every living thing and also surrounds them. This creative force can be manifested in the power of love and is everywhere in both the seen and unseen planes of existence.

The Law of Perfection

This law states since all objects, plants, animals and people are part of the creative force inside of them and since that creative force is perfect, all things have the opportunity and ability to become perfect. Perfection is achieved by having a good spiritual and earthly balance, by thinking positive thoughts and by engaging in positive actions.

The Law of Freedom

One of the most important laws in metaphysics. Since people who practice metaphysics do not believe in an all-powerful figure, they feel that they have total control over their bodies and actions. Free will ties into all of these other laws because free will is what allows someone to control their thought process to make it happy or sad. Free will also allow people to choose their actions to be a good or bad person.

I'll admit when people start talking about metaphysics, I have no idea what they are talking about.

In a standard reading of the original meaning of after the physical, i.e. metaphysical, these are indeed metaphysical. In the modern sense they are not. They are moral, utilitarian and mental rules of how to be a human in an existential sense.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you agree that this is what metaphysics is about? I'll admit when people start talking about metaphysics, I have no idea what they are talking about. It still seems a belief in unverifiable forces to me.

I agree with you that the term is nebulous, and no to the laws being actual principles constraining outcomes.

I've defined the metaphysical as the presumed reality that precedes and underlies experience, and have concluded that it's not a subject worth much consideration. Unfalsifiable claims such as biblical creationism refer to the metaphysical, in this case, a presumed god existing outside of and preceding experience. We don't call these ideas right or wrong, but rather, not even wrong. Falsifiable ideas are those that manifest in experience, and which can therefore potentially be demonstrated to be incorrect if they are. Other ideas (unfalsifiable, metaphysical) aren't worth much consideration.

Here's an example. Experience tells me that if I stick my finger into a flame, I will feel the burning pain of fire. What is the ultimate reality underlying such experiences? Do the flame and finger actually exist outside of consciousness? It doesn't matter. Suppose we somehow could know for an ironclad fact that we are brains in a vat who have no fingers. Should we will our nonexistent finger into the nonexistent flame knowing that nothing will actually be burned? Not if we don't like the expected feeling. My point is that the reality underlying experience doesn't really matter and isn't worth much more thought than this. It's enough to know what various intentions will lead to, not what happens between the experience of action and the experience of its consequences.

PureX

Veteran Member
From Webster's ...

meta-

as a prefix
variants: or met-
Definition of meta- (Entry 2 of 2)

1a : occurring later than or in succession to : after metestrus
b : situated behind or beyond metencephalon metacarpus
c : later or more highly organized or specialized form of metaxylem
2 : change : transformation metaplasia
3 [metaphysics] : more comprehensive : transcending metapsychological —usually used with the name of a discipline to designate a new but related discipline designed to deal critically with the original one metamathematics
4a : involving substitution at or characterized by two positions in the benzene ring that are separated by one carbon atom meta-xylene
b : derived from by loss of water metaphosphoric acid
So, I see it as referring to the cognitive awareness and understanding of physicality, and therefor "transcendent" of physicality. The fact that matter and energy could combine to result in an awareness and understanding of itself as a force of nature is a metaphysical phenomenon.

RestlessSoul

Very interesting OP, but those seven rules look more like a manifesto of a particular group, than a definition of what we mean by metaphysics.

Metaphysics in the broadest sense, involves the consideration of all those unseen forces which animate the universe. This would include not just the purely philosophical, but also subjects proper to the natural sciences such as gravity, entropy, the nature and energy of space, the arrow of time, etc.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Very interesting OP, but those seven rules look more like a manifesto of a particular group, than a definition of what we mean by metaphysics.

Metaphysics in the broadest sense, involves the consideration of all those unseen forces which animate the universe. This would include not just the purely philosophical, but also subjects proper to the natural sciences such as gravity, entropy, the nature and energy of space, the arrow of time, etc.

Well, for science that depends if you consider naturalism metaphysical or methodological. :)

amorphous_constellation

Yeah, I think I kind of roll with some of that, but I guess I don't quite try to reach for/place the definitions in the realm of 'metaphysics,' as much. Something about the term starts to seem kind airy/unrelatable, though maybe I'm not quite smart enough to understand stuff about it. I will probably kick around some ideas in an extended reply, later.

RestlessSoul

Well, for science that depends if you consider naturalism metaphysical or methodological. :)

Okay, but if we want science to do more than make predictions based on observation - in other words, if we want it to offer a full description of the natural world - it needs an ontology. In other words, physics requires a metaphysics, in order to give us a complete picture of the universe and it's workings.

Scientific laws are theory laden, and while theoretical models may be confirmed by observation, theory itself is non empirical; ideas are abstract, and not tangible. While gravity, for example, can be measured very accurately using Newton's Law, Einstein intuited that something more is required to describe it's true nature, which is still somewhat mysterious and unresolved.

You know all this, I’m sure. But devotees of Scientism (as opposed to science) generally don’t.

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
The Law of Life

The Law of Truth

The Law of Compensation

The Law of Abundance

The Law of Love

The Law of Perfection

The Law of Freedom

After reading the first four they seemed like common sense aphorisms out or Poor Richard's Almanac.

To me the list represents someone's idealized view of how the universe should operate as opposed to outlining any real truth about it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Okay, but if we want science to do more than make predictions based on observation - in other words, if we want it to offer a full description of the natural world - it needs an ontology. In other words, physics requires a metaphysics, in order to give us a complete picture of the universe and it's workings.

Scientific laws are theory laden, and while theoretical models may be confirmed by observation, theory itself is non empirical; ideas are abstract, and not tangible. While gravity, for example, can be measured very accurately using Newton's Law, Einstein intuited that something more is required to describe it's true nature, which is still somewhat mysterious and unresolved.

No it really doesn't. That is more than one way to do science. There are others. And no, I really don't want to debate you. I am just pointing out that what science is, is a cultural construct and there are others than the standard English language one.

RestlessSoul

No it really doesn't. That is more than one way to do science. There are others. And no, I really don't want to debate you. I am just pointing out that what science is, is a cultural construct and there are others than the standard English language one.

Of course. But my contention was simply that science requires an ontology, if it is to describe not just how nature behaves, but why it behaves as it does. In other words, if it concerns itself not just with the observable machinations of the world, but also with the unseen forces animating it. This dichotomy I consider to be axiomatic, but I do acknowledge that you perhaps have other axioms.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Of course. But my contention was simply that science requires an ontology, if it is to describe not just how nature behaves, but why it behaves as it does. In other words, if it concerns itself not just with the observable machinations of the world, but also with the unseen forces animating it. This dichotomy I consider to be axiomatic, but I do acknowledge that you perhaps have other axioms.

Here is a core difference in philosophy as it pertains to this exchange:
"philosophy, (from Greek, by way of Latin, philosophia, “love of wisdom”) the rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience. ..."
Notice the "or". Science is different for those 2 versions.
In historical terms the first one is British and the last one is European continental.
What is the world versus what is it to be human.

RestlessSoul

Here is a core difference in philosophy as it pertains to this exchange:
"philosophy, (from Greek, by way of Latin, philosophia, “love of wisdom”) the rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience. ..."
Notice the "or". Science is different for those 2 versions.
In historical terms the first one is British and the last one is European continental.
What is the world versus what is it to be human.

Well I would argue that it’s meaningless to consider reality as a whole, without considering what it is to be human, since as human observers we are necessarily entangled with whatever phenomenon we happen to be observing. In which case the reverse ought also to be true, ie that to consider reality as a whole is to consider what it is to be human existing in that reality.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well I would argue that it’s meaningless to consider reality as a whole, without considering what it is to be human, since as human observers we are necessarily entangled with whatever phenomenon we happen to be observing. In which case the reverse ought also to be true, ie that to consider reality as a whole is to consider what it is to be human existing in that reality.

Well, I agree. Yet you will find people who believe they know facts about objective reality as independent of the mind.
It is even sometimes a definition of objective: Having reality independent of the mind.
So the only really real is objective reality as independent of the mind. I think we have at least one of them here on this forum.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
After reading the first four they seemed like common sense aphorisms out or Poor Richard's Almanac.

To me the list represents someone's idealized view of how the universe should operate as opposed to outlining any real truth about it.

To me it is like saying vibrations are what is causing a car to move. Because every time you turn the car on you can feel it vibrate and your proof is that the car won't move when the vibrations aren't present.

So vibrations are the metaphysical answer to the car's motion.

MikeF

Premium Member
To me it is like saying vibrations are what is causing a car to move. Because every time you turn the car on you can feel it vibrate and your proof is that the car won't move when the vibrations aren't present.

So vibrations are the metaphysical answer to the car's motion.

I love it. Too true.

amorphous_constellation

I really do like that painting. Well I was going to begin to reply to each one of these, but in reading them, they all kind of seem the same. But that does make sense in a way, because I guess we would be talking about 'one body of rules' as comprising the whole of metaphysics. In the same way that I assume math is only one thing, I would assume that metaphysics would be as well. There can't ultimately be two maths, or three maths. Instead, I think that there is ultimately just math.

Obviously, it seems like there are very perceptible sorts of reciprocity in the raw physical plane. I don't run stop signs, I don't rage at my problems, I try to think ahead, and basically try to see the very obvious ways that things can come back at me. Is there a metaphysical system of rules etched in the plane of metaphysics, that sketches all that out, or objectively determines it, rather? I don't know, maybe.

I assume that if I am kind, I can probably get kindness back, a lot of the time, compared to what would happen if I wasn't. I do try to think good thoughts. I try not write to negative things, either here, or in my private diary. I try not to be that much of a downer when in conversation with others, but on the other hand, I do like discussing the very serious problems in the world. And it can be very difficult to do that, with that.

In metaphysics, when it comes to 'perfection' and 'freedom,' that starts to test my faith a bit. I tend to think that we live in a sloppy, random, and scrappy world at times, with little sense of meaning. Like on my 8 mile walk the other day, I find myself wondering about the useless bits of litter and debris. How long will that crushed, sandy styrofoam cup sit there in the gravel. Or that roadkill that turns to bones, in the grossest way, on the pavement. An industrial park with an adjacent marsh area, the river seems sludgy and stinky in the summer

And freedom, how free are we? Are we constrained by the brain, or are we the pilot in the brain? That gets into the freewill problem, which is a frustrating and bland problem, unless I am in the mood to really think about it

I look at the Tarot, and I look at a very old version of it. It might sort of be a metaphysical practice, but I try not to imbue it with labels and systems, that might not reflect it. It too, seems like it is about a sort of reciprocity between forces that are sometimes 'hidden.'

PearlSeeker

The Law of Life

The Law of Truth

The Law of Compensation

The Law of Abundance

The Law of Love

The Law of Perfection

The Law of Freedom

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that deals with the fundamental nature of reality. I think the Laws mentioned in the OP are mostly about ethics. Metaphysical position in the above is not clear to me. What exactly is this "life force"?

I don't fully agree with these laws. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad peoole.