• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The meaning of Islam

maj123

Hi every body, please let me take this opportunity to introduce my
faith "Islam"

Islam is derived from the Arabic root
"Salema": peace, purity, submission and
obedience. In the religious sense, Islam means submission to the will of God
and obedience to His law.
Everything and every phenomenon in the world other than man is administered
totally by God-made laws, ie. they are obedient to God and submissive to his
laws, they are in the State of Islam. Man possesses the qualities of intelligence
and choice, thus he is invited to submit to the good will of God and obey His
law, ie, become a Muslim.
Submission to the good will of God, together with obedience to His beneficial
Law, ie, becoming a Muslim, is the best safeguard for man's peace and
harmony.
Islam dates back to the age of Adam and its message has been conveyed to
man by God's prophets and messengers, including Abrahim, Moses, Jesus and
Muhammad.
Islam's message has been restored and enforced in the last stage of the
religious evolution by God's last prophet and messenger, Muhammad.

The word Allah in the Arabic language means God, or more accurately, The One
and Only Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, Lord of all lords, King of all
kings, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful. The word Allah to mean God is also
used by Arabic speaking Jews and Christians.

Nehustan

And to add, one of the 99 names of Allah is As Salaam (59:23) which is considered to mean The Peace and Blessing, The Source of Peace and Safety, The Most Perfect which Al-Ghazali delineates as The Flawless.

Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem

Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: Glory to Allah. (High is He) above the partners they attribute to Him.

Al-Hashr, 59:23.

maj123

Thanks a lot for your nice comments,
Now I I really wish to know your answer for the following question:

What was the need of Islam as a religion of when Judaism and Christianity existed and prevailed at the time of its revelation?

Popeyesays

What was the need of Islam as a religion of when Judaism and Christianity existed and prevailed at the time of its revelation?

God's Revelation is eternal. Being eternal makes it ultimately, beyond our comprehension; therefore God has always revealed to us what we can understand and we always re in need of future revelation.

Therefore, there will always be another Messenger and no Prophet is the final Prophet.

Or: God willied Muhsmmed to carry a Revelation and Muhammed submitted to His will.

Regards,
Scott

Nehustan

The two signs I always consider in answer to this are the specific to previous revelations...

"When We substitute one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- they say, "Thou art but a forger": but most of them understand not." 16:101

and more generally why revelation follows the course of gradualism, but specific to the revelation of the Quran...

Those who reject Faith say: "Why is not the Qur'an revealed to him all at once? Thus (is it revealed), that We may strengthen thy heart thereby, and We have rehearsed it to thee in slow, well-arranged stages, gradually." 25:32

The relevant part here to my mind is 'Thus (is it revealed), that We may strengthen thy heart thereby, and We have rehearsed it to thee in slow, well-arranged stages, gradually.'

Afrikaner

So what we have to do is submit ourselves to his will, meaning we follow only his laws, that were actually just written by man?

The difference between Christianity and Islam is that Mohammedeans follow only man, their Shariah is written by men, and their laws are earthly and imperfect, thus, ungodly.

Christians follow no laws but those of nature, the Commandments in particular example which no man can disagree upon.

As a result the Christian world's laws change because they are of men, and fallible, but the infallible truth is that Christ as the savior, if accepted, will show you how to be as God intended you to be and save you.

There is no "if I pray 5 times today, and if I do not look upon a woman's face I will go to Heaven" that's utterly ridiculous, that is as fallible law of man as was the Pentateuch, the ideas that a slave should be well treated, a woman should never work, and so on. Those are only the laws of man.

But Christ set down no law, because law itself is a human concept, Christ acted a certain way, and showed us how to be saved.

Islam turns their back on Christ, and looks to law-givers for salvation...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So what we have to do is submit ourselves to his will, meaning we follow only his laws, that were actually just written by man?

The difference between Christianity and Islam is that Mohammedeans follow only man, their Shariah is written by men, and their laws are earthly and imperfect, thus, ungodly.

Christians follow no laws but those of nature, the Commandments in particular example which no man can disagree upon.

As a result the Christian world's laws change because they are of men, and fallible, but the infallible truth is that Christ as the savior, if accepted, will show you how to be as God intended you to be and save you.

There is no "if I pray 5 times today, and if I do not look upon a woman's face I will go to Heaven" that's utterly ridiculous, that is as fallible law of man as was the Pentateuch, the ideas that a slave should be well treated, a woman should never work, and so on. Those are only the laws of man.

But Christ set down no law, because law itself is a human concept, Christ acted a certain way, and showed us how to be saved.

...said the pot to the kettle.

Sahar

Oh you are talking about "Mohammedeans" not about Muslims. What a relief!! :beach:

yousaf

christianity and judaism are man made religions , all the prophets that came taught islam

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

What was the need of Christianity when Judaism prevailed? What was the need of Judaism when Zoroastrianism and other 'pagan' faiths prevailed? ALL religions are derivative amalgams of older beliefs and practices. Of course with each person believing that their faith is the final pinnacle of that process.

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Nehustan; I am interested in the principle contained within your two quotes:

""When We substitute one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- ... " 16:101
"... We have rehearsed it to thee in slow, well-arranged stages, gradually." 25:32

I believe this principle you are discussing is both true and profound. I am not a Muslim but am interested regarding how Muslims apply this principle. I also believe that God dispenses revelation "line upon line" and "precept upon precept".

By saying truth is given "in slow", "well-arranged stages" (which I believe is true), am I to understand that Muslims also believe that Allah dispenses specific bits of truth (which add up to greater and greater truth as the "bits" accumulate)?

Thanks in advance for any information on this principle;

Clear

Nehustan

I cannot say exactly what God means by these passages. They have come to have significant meaning to me, but then that's the nature of knowledge. Quite obviously the bits that can be integrated (i.e. find place within a cognitive schema) are accepted, while parts that tend to cause dissonance, tend to be rejected.

For me, having been brought up a Christian it seems to me that God, and his agents have been playing a benevolent role in trying to ascend man toward his higher nature. This has taken place through revelation and of course science, which to my mind is also revelatory.

I think that in reply to my interpretation of the ayats (literally ‘sign’) that I quoted, I cannot truly know or explain what they mean in totality, but then I'm not meant to be able to. That they are deeply resonant with me is a personal truth, that they may also be resonant with others, I expect that’s the point; beyond that as they say 'Allah Al Alim'...God is the knower.

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Nehustan, thank you for the comments.

When you say that the passages "have come to have significant meaning to me" as an individual, I believe I know what you mean. We all make sense of things as best as we can. The particular interpretation of those specific sural lines brought out in the ayats resonated with me also.

Even though you cannot say what Allah means, do you believe that Allah dispenses specific bits of truth (which add up to greater and greater truth as the "bits" accumulate)? If you believe this, do you think most muslims believe this principle?

I also believe you are correct that "God, and his agents have been playing a benevolent role in trying to ascend man toward his higher nature." When you say: "This has taken place through revelation and of course science, which to my mind is also revelatory.", again, I, very much agree with this sentiment. It seems that not all good gifts from Allah come through sacred writings or church meetings, but many from individuals who are inspired by Allah to make discoveries in science, social studies, food industries, etc., etc.

Do you believe Allah inspires (i.e. gives "bits" of revelation to) some of these individuals who are making these scientific discoveries that you call "revelatory"?

Again, thanks for your effort in making these principles understandable

Clear

Last edited:

Nehustan

When you say that the passages "have come to have significant meaning to me" as an individual, I believe I know what you mean. We all make sense of things as best as we can. The particular interpretation of those specific sural lines brought out in the ayats resonated with me also.

Even though you cannot say what Allah means, do you believe that Allah dispenses specific bits of truth (which add up to greater and greater truth as the "bits" accumulate)? If you believe this, do you think most muslims believe this principle?

Yes I do, in fact that what I think the Quran says. To one degree or another I'd say yes they [muslims] do, but again I don't want to speak for the whole Islamic Ummah (bit presumptuous).

I also believe you are correct that "God, and his agents have been playing a benevolent role in trying to ascend man toward his higher nature." When you say: "This has taken place through revelation and of course science, which to my mind is also revelatory.", again, I, very much agree with this sentiment. It seems that not all good gifts from Allah come through sacred writings or church meetings, but many from individuals who are inspired by Allah to make discoveries in science, social studies, food industries, etc., etc.

Do you believe Allah inspires (i.e. gives "bits" of revelation to) some of these individuals who are making these scientific discoveries that you call "revelatory"?

While I don't believe that God speaks to people generally, either by audible voice or as a voice in the mind, I do believe that people receive inspiration, what we call ‘hidayah’. I believe this can involve science, or can also involve the more mundane ,i.e. relationships etcetera. In my experience it has often taken the form of subtle synchronicities.

Clear

Premium Member
Nehustan, thanks for your explanations. I very much appreciate your comments.

Clear

Clear

Premium Member
”I do believe that people receive inspiration,...this can involve science, or can also involve the more mundane ,i.e. relationships etcetera. In my experience it has often taken the form of subtle synchronicities.” - Nehustan

Nehustan,

As I’ve thought about what you said, I realized that I only partially understand your beliefs regarding how Allah gives revelation to Muslims.

Please, Nehustan, correct me early on, if I am getting an incorrect impression from all you have said so far regarding revelation from Allah.

I think you are saying you do not believe Allah speaks to Muslims by audible or inaudible voice. Am I to assume that you not believe that Allah speaks to Muslims by visions or dream/visions?

Do you believe that Allah gives Muslims revelations by ideas and/or concepts placed in their minds either by Allah or by the Holy Spirit?

If so, must these ideas be non-audible and non visual (to the Muslim to whom Allah is giving this revelation)?

Or am I to understand by your descriptions so far, that you believe Allah communicates with Muslims in another way? For example, If Allah gives revelation to Muslims through science, are you trying to say that he gives Muslims inaudible or non-vision “ideas” that result in scientific progress, or do you believe that Allah gives revelation that results in scientific progress in some other manner?

I admit that the principle of revelation in Islamic theology is interesting.

Again, I thank you in advance for your information and patience.

Clear

Nehustan

I believe that God communicates via signs. Whether they be the signs in the Quran (i.e. ayat), the signs within creation (i.e. Macrocosm), or signs within himself (microcosm).