• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

AdamjEdgar

This is exactly the sort of reasoning that I was laughing at. Nowhere in Psalm 118:24 does it say "The Day of the Lord." It says something significantly different -- This is the day which the Lord has made. The Problem is, "The Day of the Lord" us a proper noun, so just because a phrase may have some words in common does not indicate any connection at all.

Is Sabbath not also a "proper noun"?

In any czse, you not appear to understand the significance of psalm 118? Why king David wrote it and what it refers to and why that is also significant for the apostle John?

Read the two references I gave carefully and study them closely. You have to use some intelligence instead of searching for words in neon lights

Id suggest you go away and carefully study the 2 commentry references I supplied from biblehub.com before dog barking up trees!

Otherwise ... "Stupid is stupid does sir" (Forest Gump)

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is Sabbath not also a "proper noun"?
It is not significant. Harry Potter is a proper noun too. Neither has any bearing on the fact that "The Lord's Day" is a proper noun, and that therefore if you speak of it, you use that exact phrase.
In any czse, you not appear to understand the significance of psalm 118? Why king David wrote it and what it refers to and why that is also significant for the apostle John?
I'm very clear about Psalm 118. It says absolutely nothing about "The Lord's Day" because it does not use that phrase.

AdamjEdgar

It is not significant. Harry Potter is a proper noun too. Neither has any bearing on the fact that "The Lord's Day" is a proper noun, and that therefore if you speak of it, you use that exact phrase.

I'm very clear about Psalm 118. It says absolutely nothing about "The Lord's Day" because it does not use that phrase.
That was your complaint against the argument...now you are saying its not important. Either it is or it isn't, you need to make up your mind one way or the other.
In response to your next point, I assume that you are not trinitarian because you cannot find the word trinity in the bible?

I wonder, if your mum asked you to boil a can of beans, would you have had the foresight to first empty the beans into a pot beforehand or, would you have "boiled the unopened can of beans on the stove as is" citing the same level of reasoning as above?

Understanding bible theology requires cross referencing and in depth study. If one simply relies on wives tail type interpretstions, one is going to struggle to grasp these things. If you cannot understand the link here that's ok, it's no big deal, however, best you leave the critical analysis for others who understand the topic.

AdamjEdgar

You didn't understand my argument.
I don't think you understand the complete irrelevance of your own argument. Yours is an intentionally simple minded "boil a can of beans" response that ignores biblical cross referencing.

Go back again and follow the evidejce trail in the references.

1. Why did King David write Psalm 118...what is it about and how does the verse in question relate to the topic here?

2. There is a strong link between psalm 118 and the feast of tabernacles. The feast of tabernacles points to the time in sanctuary service prophecy after christs second coming and the subsequent millenium.
3. The end of the feast is linked directly with creation and particularly worshipping our creator and that is where the importance of the seventh day Sabbath comes in..."Remember that you were created"

You obviously have not thought enough about the timeline of the Mosaic sanctuary series and feasts...these are not just arbitrary events...they have specific prophetic meanings in both history and more importantly, the future.

Everyone focuses so much on christ sacrifice that they forget that there's a whole lot more that comes after the cross in the sanctuary service and its feasts...these also deal with the second coming and, millenium.

Go back, study the Sanctuary services and feasts, and plot a timeline of events they relate to in Jewdo/christian history...you will immediately recognise that the prophecy the feast of tabernacles represents has not yet occured and that is because Christs second coming has not happened yet!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
False on two counts:
-the church wasn't called "Roman Catholic Church" until the Great Schism centuries later, and...
-the gradual change to mainly a Sunday worship occurred mostly in the 2nd century as we read in the Didache.

Also, are you Jewish? If not, they you are not under the Mosiac Commandments but under Jesus' Two Commandments. Shabbat observance is only mandatory for Jews, and they cover several does and don't, such as not building a fire and or to cook, not traveling from village to village, no reaping, etc.
So it looks like you are saying the Jews are under the Mosaic Law but you are not.

3rdAngel

I look at the Law in a different way.
Trouble is though is that everyone of Gods 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament scriptures as Gods standard of GOOD (moral right doing when obeyed) and EVIL (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); SIN (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and RIGHTEOUSNESS (moral right doing when obeyed) see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11 and Psalms 119:172.

IndigoChild5559

Trouble is though is that everyone of Gods 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament scriptures as Gods standard of GOOD (moral right doing when obeyed) and EVIL (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); SIN (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and RIGHTEOUSNESS (moral right doing when obeyed) see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11 and Psalms 119:172.
His claim above is "everyone of Gods 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament." Let's see what each of those verses says, and whether ANY of them contain a command to observe the Sabbath:

Romans 3:20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

No mention of the sabbath there. Next...

Romans 7:7
What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, oI would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

1 John 3:4
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; jsin is lawlessness.

James 2:10-11
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “You shall not murder.”[b] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

No mention of the sabbath there. Next....

Psalms 119:172.

Oh wait, that's not the New Testament. So there is no next.

Remember, the claim was that the New Testament repeated all ten commandments, which would include the Sabbath. But NONE of these verses even MENTION the Sabbath, much repeat the commandment to keep the sabbath.

EPIC FAIL

It is his ASSUMPTION that any mention of the law includes the sabbath, but that is an assumption. As far as every one of the 10 commentments being repeated in the New Testament, he has utterly failed to demonstrate this.

64 pages and 1278 posts and not a single scripture from the New Testament that specifically identifies the Sabbath as a commandment that needs to be kept.

3rdAngel

Your response here...
His claim above is "everyone of Gods 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament." Let's see what each of those verses says, and whether ANY of them contain a command to observe the Sabbath:
Well this is a silly statement that is obviously a deliberate lie or a claim by someone that does not know the bible. I am not sure which one.

Picture1.jpg

Seems you really do not know the scriptures now do you. Do you need more scriptures on the Sabbath being taught in the new testament?

JESUS AND THE APOSTLES OBEYED AND TAUGHT THE SABBATH saying...
  • It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath - Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)
  • Jesus made the Sabbath for all mankind - Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27
  • Jesus is Lord (creator) and owner of the Sabbath - Mark 2:28
  • If you do not believe and follow God you cannot enter His Sabbath rest - Hebrews 4
  • It is one of God’s 10 commandments we break it we are guilty or breaking all - James 2:8-12
  • Breaking it is sin - 1 John 3:4
  • God’s true followers keep it Holy as God commanded - Revelation 14:12; 22:14; Ezekiel 20:20
  • Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath - Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22
  • Jesus taught that his people would continue keeping the Sabbath just prior to the second coming in the last days - Matthew 24:20; Mark 13:18
  • The Apostle and disciples all kept the Sabbath after the death and resurrection of Jesus - Acts of the Apostles 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelation 1:10 Jesus taught that God's people would be still keeping the Sabbath well after the death and resurrection - Matthew 24:20; Mark 13:18
Receive Gods Word and be blessed. Ignoring Gods Word does not make it disappear.
Looks like the scriptures found you out? Epic fail is with you.

Take Care now.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Your response here..

Romans 3:20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Romans 7:7
What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, oI would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

1 John 3:4
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; jsin is lawlessness.

James 2:10-11
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

No mention of the sabbath there. Next....

Psalms 119:172.

Oh wait, that's not the New Testament. So there is no next.

Remember, the claim was that the New Testament repeated all ten commandments, which would include the Sabbath. But NONE of these verses even MENTION the Sabbath, much repeat the commandment to keep the sabbath.
Perhaps you might need to think your arguments through before posting. Is the Sabbath commandment a part of Gods law; YES/NO?
EPIC FAIL It is his ASSUMPTION that any mention of the law includes the sabbath, but that is an assumption. As far as every one of the 10 commentments being repeated in the New Testament, he has utterly failed to demonstrate this. 64 pages and 1278 posts and not a single scripture from the New Testament that specifically identifies the Sabbath as a commandment that needs to be kept.
As proven from the scriptures above in the last two posts. Your claim is a lie and it is your posts that are an Epic fail. This must be a little embarrassing for you. It was not meant to be though. It is meant to be helpful. So the facts remain; 162 pages and 3230 posts and not a single scripture from the New Testament teaches that God Sabbath commandment has been abolished and that Sunday is the Lords day in honor of the resurrection of Jesus?

Take Care.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Your response here...

Well this is a silly statement that is obviously a deliberate lie or a claim by someone that does not know the bible. I am not sure which one.

View attachment 87203
Seems you really do not know the scriptures now do you. Do you need more scriptures on the Sabbath being taught in the new testament?

• It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath - Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)
  • Jesus made the Sabbath for all mankind - Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27
  • If you do not believe and follow God you cannot enter His Sabbath rest - Hebrews 4
  • It is one of God’s 10 commandments we break it we are guilty or breaking all - James 2:8-12
  • God’s true followers keep it Holy as God commanded - Revelation 14:12; 22:14; Ezekiel 20:20
  • Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath - Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22
  • Jesus taught that his people would continue keeping the Sabbath just prior to the second coming in the last days - Matthew 24:20; Mark 13:18
  • The Apostle and disciples all kept the Sabbath after the death and resurrection of Jesus - Acts of the Apostles 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelation 1:10 Jesus taught that God's people would be still keeping the Sabbath well after the death and resurrection - Matthew 24:20; Mark 13:18
Receive Gods Word and be blessed. Ignoring Gods Word does not make it disappear.
Looks the scriptures found you out? Epic fail is with you.

Take Care now.
That is a very disingenuous response, and it's so bizarre that you "think" that you know more about Jewish Law than he.

The Law is much more than just the Decalogue, but that Law is only binding on Jews. Why that is so difficult for you to understand is beyond me. Jesus made it clear that Christians only have Two Laws to follow: love of God and love of all mankind. Why is this also so difficult for you to understand?

IndigoChild5559

Your response here...

View attachment 87203

Looks the scriptures found you out? Epic fail is with you.

Take Care now.
None of the references your chart offers indicating that the New Testament also commands to observe the sabbath actually do that.

EPIC FAIL

IndigoChild5559

Your response here..

Perhaps you might need to think your arguments through before posting. Is the Sabbath commandment a part of Gods law; YES/NO?
Or maybe you need to simply concede that the Sabbath is the only one of the ten commandments which is NOT repeated in the NT.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Or maybe you need to simply concede that the Sabbath is the only one of the ten commandments which is NOT repeated in the NT.
And the early Church realized this even as early as the end of the 1st century.

At first, the Church did observe Shabbat but also met on Sunday for the "Agape Meal", which morphed in the Eucharist [communion]. In the 2nd century, the latter became the observance for most but not all since the Church grew and spread out. But this change became possible because by that time the vast majority of Christians were Gentiles, thus no longer under halacha.

2ndpillar

That is a very disingenuous response, and it's so bizarre that you "think" that you know more about Jewish Law than he.

The Law is much more than just the Decalogue, but that Law is only binding on Jews. Why that is so difficult for you to understand is beyond me. Jesus made it clear that Christians only have Two Laws to follow: love of God and love of all mankind. Why is this also so difficult for you to understand?
Saying Jews have adequate knowledge is suspect (Hosea 4:6) and understanding the Law and the prophets is another problem (Isaiah 6:9 & Matthew 13:14). Israel will be "revived" (Joel 3:1-2), not because of their virtue or knowledge, but because of My holy name (Ezekiel 36:22). As for saying that "Two Laws" are the only law for "Christians"/Gentiles, well that is not true. Yeshua was the "Word" made flesh, the "Word" being the Law and the prophets, and Ecclesiastes specifically states that the Commandments are for every person, and Yeshua simply equated that loving your neighbor and God is what the Law and the prophets hang onto, which applies to every person. During the time of this message, there were no Christians, as Paul had not started killing Yeshua's followers at this time. Yeshua's specific message to his disciples was not to go to the nations/Gentiles (Mt 10:5). Matthew 28:19-20 was not in the oldest version of the text, whereas the disciples were supposedly told to "make disciples of all the nations", which makes it an addition (Rev 22:18) which comes with "plagues". What is clear and what is not, and who sees and who does not, is the question answered by Matthew 13:13 & Daniel 12:10. Regardless, survivors of the nations/Gentiles will bow down to the king in Jerusalem once a year on the feast of tabernacles (Zechariah 14), and recombined Israel will be settled on the land given to Jacob under the kingship of David (Ezekiel 37), and they will keep all of My statutes.

Matthew 22:40 Upon these two commandments hang the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I also will forget thy children.

IndigoChild5559

And the early Church realized this even as early as the end of the 1st century.

At first, the Church did observe Shabbat but also met on Sunday for the "Agape Meal", which morphed in the Eucharist [communion]. In the 2nd century, the latter became the observance for most but not all since the Church grew and spread out. But this change became possible because by that time the vast majority of Christians were Gentiles, thus no longer under halacha.
I concur with all of this. The very earliest church consisted of Nazarenes (Jewish believers who continue to practice Judaism, including the sacrifices) but by the end of the century, the church was absolutely dominated by Gentile believers, and was a new religion, no longer a Jewish sect.

3rdAngel

None of the references your chart offers indicating that the New Testament also commands to observe the sabbath actually do that.

EPIC FAIL
Please do not lie.. this must be embarrassing for you
  • Hebrews 4:9 Therefore it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath
  • Matthew 12:12 How much greater is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is legal to do good on the Sabbath
  • Matthew 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day (Lords day).
  • Mark 2:27 The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath
  • Mark 2:28 Therefore the son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath day.
  • Matthew 24:20 But pray you that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day (prophecy of the last days)
Again EPIC FAIL on your side.

3rdAngel

That is a very disingenuous response, and it's so bizarre that you "think" that you know more about Jewish Law than he. The Law is much more than just the Decalogue, but that Law is only binding on Jews. Why that is so difficult for you to understand is beyond me. Jesus made it clear that Christians only have Two Laws to follow: love of God and love of all mankind. Why is this also so difficult for you to understand?
Sorry dear friend but it is not being disingenuous at all or is it being bizarre to point out that someone is following teachings that are unsupported in the scriptures. It is called being truthful and honest and helping those who are caught in their sins of unbelief to find their way out of darkness into the light of the truth of Gods Word.
According to the torah and new covenant scriptures unbelieving Jews are the broken branches ready to be cast into the fire. The Messiah (Jesus Christ) and his followers are Gods true Israel born of the Spirit of God, are the anti-type, the Israel in the flesh that is not the type as Jacob was or the nation of Israel born of the seen of Abraham. According to the scriptures, Jesus is Israel (Matthew 2:13-15, compare with Hosea 11:1; as are all his disciples all through time; Hebrews 2:13; Isaiah 8:16,18; John 13:33), the true "overcomer" (John 16:33; Revelation 3:21), the real "Prince" with God (Isaiah 9:6; Daniel 8:11,25, 9:25, 10:13,21, 11:22, 12:1; Acts 3:15, 5:31; Revelation 1:5), being Lord over His own house, whose house are we (Psalms 98:3; Hebrews 3:6; Jeremiah 31:33), who himself is the "elect" (Isaiah 42:1; Matthew 12:18; 1 Peter 2:6) of the Father, in whom all the promises of God find their realization (2 Corinthians 1:20). The promises made by God were all based upon condition (Exodus 19) see Matthew 2:13-15; Hosea 11:1; Jeremiah 31:33; Romans 9:6-8; Hebrews 2:13; Isaiah 8:16,18; John 13:33, 16:33, 17:12, 18:9, 21:5; 1 Corinthians 15:46; 2 Corinthians 1:20; Galatians 6:16; Hebrews 3:6, 8:8,10; Revelation 3:21 'Israel' "born after the flesh of the seed of Abraham", as an unbelieving 'nation', is left desolate (Matthew 23:38; Luke 13:35), to bear no more fruit ever again (Matthew 21:19), cursed, withered away (Mark 11:21), dried up from the roots (Mark 11:20), "twice dead" (Jude 1:12), and the axe already laid at their root (Matthew 3:10; Luke 3:9), cut down and to be thrown into the fire. The New [or Everlasting] Covenant is only made with the spiritual “Israel” (Jesus Christ, the "elect" of the Father; Isaiah 42:1; Matthew 12:18-20), this “Judah” (Revelation 5:5) and His “house” (2 Corinthians 1:20 - For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.; – for Christ Jesus, the true “Israel” is the “elect” of God, and thus all who choose to be in Him; see Isaiah 42:1, 45:4, 65:9) The new testament scriptures portray JESUS as the head and those who believe and follow his Word as the body *Ephesians 1:22; 4:15; 5:23; Colossians 1:18. God's ISRAEL are all those who believe and follow God's Word. You will never see or hear if you choose to close your eyes and ears to seeing and hearing Gods Word that is so clearly in disagreement with you.