• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your an atheist right. Atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no God or disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. (Dictionary.com). The non-existence of God or there is no God is something you cannot prove right?
Yes, I am an atheist. I believe in no gods.Moreover, I'm an agnostic athesit,that is, one who does not claim that gods don't exist. A lot of believers can't understand those words and convert them automatically to "He believe's there's no god."

Bill Maher said it well: "I’m open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a god and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday’s Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, I’ll think ... “Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the lord!"

That's agnostic atheism.
I do not need to prove that to you. That is already proven to me
Of course not. Argument is only for those who wish to be believed or wish to learn, who wish to convince or be convinced.
But if my experience in meeting God was not a once off event and people from all over the world starting claiming the same experiences then your argument loses its weight and empirical evidence although not proving the existence of God starts proving that the existence of God cannot be discounted due to replication.
I don't discount the possibility of a deity existing, but I do reject the claims of those saying that they have experienced a god. I understand their experience even if they don't. You might find that arrogant and provocative. Other have. They don't like being told that something sacred to them is a misunderstanding of a mental state, and they really object to other people thinking that they understand the minds.

And of that's not good enough for you, recall your own words above. I don't need to convince you of what I believe. I'd be happy to give you my argument, but I'd expect you to reject it out of hand. I've been a Christian, and I saw God then. I was sure that I was in the presence of the Holy Sirit during church services. It happened after I entered the Army. And then I was discharged from the military, returned to the opposite coast, and could never reproduce the experience my first congregation and pastor after visiting a half dozen other congregations, and the truth of what I had actually been experiencing and mistaking for a god became apparent to me.
You talk empirical evidence but it is all around you and you simply ignore it. Today there are over 2.6 billion Christians in the world today from nearly every country in the world today most professing to have met God? That must be an amazing coincidence in your eyes.
No, it's the result of the greatest marketing campaign in the history of man, nearly two millennia long and still going. Paul was the first to market Jesus in earnest, then Constantine at the point of a sword. The Catholic church arose and its chapels then basilicas and cathedrals began cropping up everywhere like a fast-food franchise. Waves of crusaders, missionaries, conquistadores and inquisitions spread and enforced the faith. The Gideons put a Bible in every hotel room. With broadcast media, the televangelists began marketing Jesus. There was an ad for Jesus in the last Superbowl.

I don't care how many of those 2.6 billion say they've seen or experienced a god. I don't believe any of them.

How many billion hamburgers has McDonald's sold? They used to say, but stopped years ago. They also specializing in franchising and marketing. It doesn't mean the burgers are good, just acceptable and accessible.
I thought to give faith in Gods Word and repentance of me sins a try to see if God was real as faith and repentance are Gods conditions for finding Him through His Word.
So did I. I just gave you the summary of how that turned out. Did I mention a disastrous marriage based in a perceived message from the Holy Spirit? I married her because I felt the Spirit calling me one day with her on the barracks steps as crepuscular rays shone down from heaven. It was a spiritual experience, and I made an irrational decision based in it. I don't allow myself to think like that anymore.
If there was a God (I say that on your behalf I know there is a God) then why can't he set the conditions on how and who he chooses to reveal Himself to? The scriptures are how we find God.
He can. And if his conditions and reveal don't meet my standards for belief, then there's one more atheist in the world, as such a god should understand. Personally, I need more than a book that many men could have written containing internal contradictions, errors of fact in science and history, and unimpressive prophecies featuring a deity that makes moral and intellectual errors. It's not a god revealing itself there. It's people from the past expressing their worldview under the assumption of the existence of a tri-omni god.
those scriptures was only provided in support of what I have been telling you from the beginning. That is according to the scriptures, no one can see or know God if they continue to seek God in their sins and unbelief
Scripture is not support for any religious belief. I have no reason to believe anything from that source. Neither do you by my reckoning, but your standards for belief aren't mine.
This section of your post reminds me of the scripture in Hebrews 10:26-31 that says;
Why do you bother? I don't care what you believe. I care about what you know and can demonstrate.
there is nothing wrong with critical thinking
Wrong with it? No other method generates demonstrably correct ideas. All other methods can be collected together and called some form of faith-based belief, including accepting scripture uncritically.
We are all in bondage to sin. Which is defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods law and not believing and obeying what Gods Word says. I believe deep down inside you have no peace and the burning question "What if I am wrong?"
No, you are in bondage to (the concept of) sin, and you're projecting your fears onto me. I am free of that now. Sin, devils, and hell are for believers to worry about.

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror." - Joseph Lewis

3rdAngel

Yes, I am an atheist. I believe in no gods.Moreover, I'm an agnostic athesit,that is, one who does not claim that gods don't exist. A lot of believers can't understand those words and convert them automatically to "He believe's there's no god." Bill Maher said it well: "I’m open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a god and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday’s Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, I’ll think ... “Oh look at that, I was wrong.
Yep heard it all before. I use to be one. Its just another false religion where there is no God in the mind of those who live there. Its the same double standard I spoke to you about earlier and have already addressed in other posts you have already ignored. As posted earlier, if you cannot prove there is no God then all you have is unproven claims and opinions not based on any empirical evidence. So your arguments are simply a double standard and hypocritical in my view. As for me as posted earlier it is not up to me to prove God to you. I have already found God and know God is true so God does not need to be proven to me if I have already met God and know God. What seem to not understand is that no one can see or know God if they continue to seek God in their sins and unbelief. According to the scriptures finding God is conditional to us believing and obeying what Gods Word says (see Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 5:32; John 3:3-7; John 3:36). Practicing sin and unbelief is what separates us from God according to Isaiah 59:2. Unless we are born again we cannot see the kingdom of Heaven and know God. If we continue in our sins and unbelief we will never find God but be forever lost in our sins and unbelief and only meet God come judgement day according to the scriptures because we never tried to find God in Gods appointed way (Hebrews 9:27; Jeremiah 29:13; John 3:36). I believe Hebrews 10:26-31 is the best scripture that describes your situation though.
No, it's the result of the greatest marketing campaign in the history of man, nearly two millennia long and still going. Paul was the first to market Jesus in earnest, then Constantine at the point of a sword. The Catholic church arose and its chapels then basilicas and cathedrals began cropping up everywhere like a fast-food franchise. Waves of crusaders, missionaries, conquistadores and inquisitions spread and enforced the faith. The Gideons put a Bible in every hotel room. With broadcast media, the televangelists began marketing Jesus.
Sorry to disappoint you but there was no TV, broadcast media, social media, televangelists, radio etc 4000 years ago. According to the scriptures before the written Word of God there was the spoken Words of God. The recorded written Word of God came about as individual people were inspired by God to write His Words to give to His people (see 2 Timothy 3:16). If the scriptures were nothing therefore they would have fizzled out way back when they started but they are still here over 4000 years later and fill the whole world as a witness to the Words of Jesus in Matthew 24:14 " 14, And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness to all nations; and then shall the end come." Well guess what the gospel is being preached in all the world for the first time since it was given and guess what.. the end is coming. The evidence is all around you. You simply close your eyes and ears to to justify your sins and unbelief. Meanwhile you cannot prove that there is no God and you do not know if Christians know God or not. Does this not worry you? It should. Atheism is another false religion where there is no God in the mind of those who live there.
So did I. I just gave you the summary of how that turned out. Did I mention a disastrous marriage based in a perceived message from the Holy Spirit? I married her because I felt the Spirit calling me one day with her on the barracks steps as crepuscular rays shone down from heaven. It was a spiritual experience, and I made an irrational decision based in it. I don't allow myself to think like that anymore.
There are many kinds of people as shown in the parable of the sower and also even in the prodigal son that leave God and His Word for different reasons, many start off with good intentions following God from the beginning but over time many fall away back into their sins and unbelief. According to the scriptures, some fall away because of temptations and sins, others because of the cares of this world and when their faith is tested to see if they will remain faithful to God or not fail the test and instead turn away from God and His Word in order to follow the devils temptations and sins. They choose instead to depart God and His Word. To those who are faithful to God this short life is only a probation and a test to see who will be worthy for the better life to come where there will be no more sorrow and sadness. It is only those Christians however that endure temptation to the end that receive Gods gift of everlasting life. Like the prodigal son however it is never too late to see our mistakes and return to God. I believe God is calling you IANS home waiting with open arms. You have to choose to hear His call to come home though. Just the fact you are spending all your time in a Religious Forum tells me you can hear Gods calling. It is never too late while you have life to return to God. However none of us know how much time we have on this earth.
3rdAngel said: If there was a God (I say that on your behalf I know there is a God) then why can't he set the conditions on how and who he chooses to reveal Himself to? The scriptures are how we find God.
Your response here..
He can. And if his conditions and reveal don't meet my standards for belief, then there's one more atheist in the world, as such a god should understand. Personally, I need more than a book that many men could have written containing internal contradictions, errors of fact in science and history, and unimpressive prophecies featuring a deity that makes moral and intellectual errors. It's not a god revealing itself there. It's people from the past expressing their worldview under the assumption of the existence of a tri-omni god.
So if God can set His own conditions and according to the scriptures He has then now you can understand that you will never find God in your sins and unbelief. This was the only point I was trying to make here. You seemed to have missed it. There is not contradiction and intellectual errors. There is only misinterpretation of the scriptures by those who do not know God or believe His Words.
Scripture is not support for any religious belief. I have no reason to believe anything from that source. Neither do you by my reckoning, but your standards for belief aren't mine.
Well that is not true. If the scriptures lead us to God and to know God then that is evidence in itself for belief as the scriptures have been responsible for leading the person following them to God. Therefore God is the evidence found in the lives of those who believe the scriptures. You can never know this dear friend because you seek to find God in your sins and unbelief. Only darkness and death await all those who walk down that path.
Why do you bother? I don't care what you believe. I care about what you know and can demonstrate.
I bother because I care. If you did not care then you would not be still here or spending your time in Religious Forums. This demonstrates to me that you do care. All the posts I have provided to you demonstrate that I have found God and that I know God and that in order to find God you have to follow that way to God through His Word and that you can never find God in your sins and unbelief. Lets be honest. You cannot prove there is no God just like you cannot prove that genuine Christians have not met God. All you have is that little voice in your head saying to you "What if I am wrong?". In order to find God though you must be first willing to put away your sins and open your eyes to seek God through His appointed way.
3rdAngel said: We are all in bondage to sin. Which is defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods law and not believing and obeying what Gods Word says. I believe deep down inside you have no peace and the burning question "What if I am wrong?"
Your response here...
No other method generates demonstrably correct ideas. All other methods can be collected together and called some form of faith-based belief, including accepting scripture uncritically. No, you are in bondage to (the concept of) sin, and you're projecting your fears onto me. I am free of that now. Sin, devils, and hell are for believers to worry about. "To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror." - Joseph Lewis
Sorry dear friend but I do not believe you. Sin can be demonstrated as real and factual and is simply defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments and not believing and obeying what Gods Word says. Gods 10 commandments are the standard of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right doing when obeyed). This is not a concept but something that can be demonstrated as true, factual and correct. For example if we lie, steal, murder others or commit adultery with our neighbors spouse we are committing acts that are morally wrong against our fellow man. The bible teaches we have all sinned against God and the penalty of sin to those who choose to continue in it is death (Hebrews 10:26-31) to all those who reject the free gift of Gods dear son and promised Messiah in Jesus (Romans 6:23). This is why Jesus says he who commits sin (breaking Gods commandments) is a slave to sin. If we commit sin therefore dear friend we are in bondage to our sins and once again as posted earlier, only darkness and death await all those who walk down that path.

Take Care.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yep heard it all before. I use to be one. Its just another false religion where there is no God in the mind of those who live there.
Religion is for you, not me. Here's what that looks like, when you start seeing this kind of thing: (see Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 5:32; John 3:3-7; John 3:36). That's what religion looks like.
you cannot prove that there is no God
I can't prove that there are no deities, but I don't need to in order to disregard their possibility. I also can't prove vampires don't exist, but you won't find garlic on my door to repel them. But you probably mean the god of Abraham, and yes, it's been proven that no such god exists or existed. There were never six days of creation or two first people. That's the problem with including too much detail in one's mythology. The deist god can't be ruled out, because no such specific claims have been made about it that can be falsified empirically.

Notice that I don't accuse you of being irreligious or a critical thinker. Why? You're neither of those, and I don't use the words that I proudly use to describe myself to insult others. I would never call your beliefs just another form of atheism because it's another form of religion.
you do not know if Christians know God or not.
Yes, I do. Remember, I've been there myself. I know exactly what they're experiencing and misidentifying: their own minds having a spiritual experience and mistaking it for a spirit. I realize that you consider that arrogant and likely bristle at being told such a thing,
Does this not worry you?
No. Like I said, that's for you to worry about, because you choose to. One of the gifts of atheism is the liberation from that kind of fear.
There are many kinds of people as shown in the parable of the sower and also even in the prodigal son that leave God and
Let me guess. Something terrible happens to them, and this is part of your argument as to why I should believe or behave differently. These stories are fables. You might as well be telling me not to try to build a tower to heaven because it didn't work out well last time.

If you'd like a cautionary tale, read these threads and see what becomes of so many of those who drink too deeply from the cup of religious faith. They seem lost at sea, untethered to reality, unfamiliar with reason. They pay a price for choosing that path.
So if God can set His own conditions and according to the scriptures He has then now you can understand that you will never find God in your sins and unbelief. This was the only point I was trying to make here. You seemed to have missed it.
You seemed to have missed that I don't believe in gods. You also seemed to have missed that that choice has paid me dividends in my life.
There is only misinterpretation of the scriptures by those who do not know God or believe His Words.
I also don't take biblical interpretation from believers. They're motivated readers trying to find ways to understand them in the context of a god belief. They can't see the error and contradiction there, but it's quite apparent to those reading open-mindedly and absent a confirmation bias.
If the scriptures lead us to God and to know God then that is evidence in itself for belief
It's evidence of belief, but not of correct belief.
If you did not care then you would not be still here or spending your time in Religious Forums. This demonstrates to me that you do care.
I care, but not what you care about. I don't care what advice the Bible has for me. That seems to be difficult for you to believe, but it shouldn't be. Look at how many holy books you disregard. I disregard one more than you.
Sorry dear friend but I do not believe you.
Now you're getting it. Likewise, I don't believe you've ever experienced a deity. I don't believe that the god you worship exists. I don't believe that scripture is authoritative or an appropriate source of morals or life advice. And I don't accept a believer's interpretation of scripture when it contradicts mine. It would behoove you to assimilate that when you post to a skeptic. It would demonstrate an ability to learn from my words that I haven't seen yet. You keep posting scripture, asking me if I'm afraid I'm wrong, and discussing sin like it's a real thing for both of us.

No. Just you for all of that. Imagine if my posting failed to reflect your beliefs, maybe with a "Why are you discussing gods when you're just another kind of atheist?" You'd think me mentally sluggish or inflexible, wouldn't you? You'd be thinking, "Why doesn't this guy ever learn I believe in God?" It would be like talking to yourself.
Sin can be demonstrated as real and factual and is simply defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments and not believing and obeying what Gods Word says.
No, sin cannot be demonstrated to be real because gods can't be demonstrated to be real. The former is dependent on the veracity of the later. This is a nice example of what I just referred to. Why would you write that to me? Do you still not understand how it is received?

3rdAngel

So, you actually don't accept what Jesus said about his "Two Commandments". OK, that's obviously your choice.
Actually it is you that does not accept what Jesus says about the 10 commandments and yes you have made that decision. I believe what Jesus says about the 10 commandments you can read about them here...

JESUS said....
  • Think not that I have come to destroy the law or the prophet - Matthew 5:17
  • Jesus magnified the law - Matthew 5:17-28
  • The law will now pass away until heaven and earth pass away - Matthew 5:18
  • Whoever will break the least of these commandments and teach men so will be the least in God's kingdom (the least are those who do not go there see 1 John 2:3-4)
  • Whoever obeys and teaches the law will be called great in God's kingdom - Matthew 5:19
  • Jesus taught that fail and obedience to Gods' law is required to receive eternal life - Matthew 19:17-21; John 3:36.
  • Jesus taught others to follow the 10 commandments (Mark 10:17-21)
  • Jesus taught that the two great commandments of love are not separate from obeying Gods' law - Matthew 22:36-40
  • Jesus taught that if we break God’s Law by following man-made traditions we are not worshiping God (Matt 15:3-9)
  • Jesus says if we commit sin (breaking Gods law - 1 John 3:4) we are a servant of sin and he has come to free us from sin - John 8:32-36
  • Jesus taught if you love God you will keep God’s Law and abide in His Love - John 14:15; 15:10
  • If we love God we will obey His commandments and abide in His love - John 14:15; John 15:10
Let me know if you want to know what the Apostles say and the rest of the bible. They all disagree with you.

Take care.

3rdAngel

Religion is for you, not me. Here's what that looks like, when you start seeing this kind of thing: (see Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 5:32; John 3:3-7; John 3:36). That's what religion looks like.
Not really. To me, atheism is just another false religion where there is no God in the mind of those who live there. Its the same double standard I spoke to you about earlier and have already addressed in other posts you have already ignored. As posted earlier, if you cannot prove there is no God then all you have is unproven claims and opinions not based on any empirical evidence. So your arguments are simply a double standard and hypocritical in my view. As for me as posted earlier it is not up to me to prove God to you. I have already found God and know God is true so God does not need to be proven to me if I have already met God and know God. What seem to not understand is that no one can see or know God if they continue to seek God in their sins and unbelief. According to the scriptures finding God is conditional to us believing and obeying what Gods Word says (see Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 5:32; John 3:3-7; John 3:36). Practicing sin and unbelief is what separates us from God according to Isaiah 59:2. Unless we are born again we cannot see the kingdom of Heaven and know God. If we continue in our sins and unbelief we will never find God but be forever lost in our sins and unbelief and only meet God come judgement day according to the scriptures because we never tried to find God in Gods appointed way (Hebrews 9:27; Jeremiah 29:13; John 3:36). I believe Hebrews 10:26-31 is the best scripture that describes your situation though.
I can't prove that there are no deities, but I don't need to in order to disregard their possibility. I also can't prove vampires don't exist, but you won't find garlic on my door to repel them. But you probably mean the god of Abraham, and yes, it's been proven that no such god exists or existed. There were never six days of creation or two first people. That's the problem with including too much detail in one's mythology. The deist god can't be ruled out, because no such specific claims have been made about it that can be falsified empirically. Notice that I don't accuse you of being irreligious or a critical thinker. Why? You're neither of those, and I don't use the words that I proudly use to describe myself to insult others. I would never call your beliefs just another form of atheism because it's another form of religion.
Well you kind of do need to prove there is no God if you believe there is no God or there will always be that burning question in the back of your mind "What if I am wrong? How can you disregard the possibility that there is God if you cannot prove that God does not exist? The rest of your argument is quite a silly one in my view. Can you show me anyone that was dead and come back to life to feed on human blood and any person that has witnessed such events. Is there any evidence of people dying from loss of blood through vampire feeding? - Nope. So why post nonsense comparing Hollywood movies to Christianity that has 2.6 Billion people world wide claiming to have met and know God from all over the world? Notice I also do not accuse you of being irreligious and a critical thinker. Why? Because I believe you are neither of those. Not only can you not prove that there is no God, you cannot deny the evidence of billions of people that claim to have personally met and know God not only now and in our generation but all through time itself. This alone is evidence you close your eyes and ears to. The only difference between these people and you is that they found God in Gods appointed way.

As for me as posted earlier it is not up to me to prove God to you. I have already found God and know God is true so God does not need to be proven to me if I have already met God and know God. What seem to not understand is that no one can see or know God if they continue to seek God in their sins and unbelief. According to the scriptures finding God is conditional to us believing and obeying what Gods Word says (see Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 5:32; John 3:3-7; John 3:36). Practicing sin and unbelief is what separates us from God according to Isaiah 59:2. Unless we are born again we cannot see the kingdom of Heaven and know God. If we continue in our sins and unbelief we will never find God but be forever lost in our sins and unbelief and only meet God come judgement day according to the scriptures because we never tried to find God in Gods appointed way (Hebrews 9:27; Jeremiah 29:13; John 3:36). I believe Hebrews 10:26-31 is the best scripture that describes your situation though.
Yes, I do. Remember, I've been there myself. I know exactly what they're experiencing and misidentifying: their own minds having a spiritual experience and mistaking it for a spirit. I realize that you consider that arrogant and likely bristle at being told such a thing,
Not really. I feel sorry for you if you think you know better than God does in regards what is best for your life. For me I see your experience as a fulfillment of the scriptures and more along the lines of someone like your self who once knew God and chose to depart the faith to return to a life of known unrepentant sin and unbelief.
No. Like I said, that's for you to worry about, because you choose to. One of the gifts of atheism is the liberation from that kind of fear.
Well here is the thing. I have nothing to worry about. If I am right (I am as I have no doubt God is real) than I am looking forward to a better life to come. If I am wrong (I am not as I have no doubt God is real) then I will end up in the same place as you. Nothing to worry about either way and outcome. On the other hand if you are wrong you will need to stand before God come judgment day knowing that you are about to be destroyed and put out of existence for all eternity knowing that you made the wrong decisions and choices for your life in this world and you now miss out on a life of everlasting peace and happiness in a world make perfect and new. So as posted earlier, you know and agree you cannot prove there is no God. All you have now is that burning little question with what little time you have left in this world "What if I am wrong?"
Let me guess. Something terrible happens to them, and this is part of your argument as to why I should believe or behave differently. These stories are fables. You might as well be telling me not to try to build a tower to heaven because it didn't work out well last time.
No as posted earlier, the parable of the sower simply describes how people start of in the faith receiving Gods Word with all happiness and endure in the faith for short periods of time and how many depart the faith for different reasons like what has happened to you.
You seemed to have missed that I don't believe in gods. You also seemed to have missed that that choice has paid me dividends in my life.
Yet here you are in a religious forum with your new religion of Atheism unable to prove that there is no God with the burning question in the back of your mind "What if I am wrong? Not believing God has not paid you dividends dear friend according to the scriptures, you are a dead man walking. You just do not know it yet. According to the scriptures the wages of sin is death to all those who reject the gift of Gods dear son. There is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed come judgement day according to the scriptures. - see Hebrews 10:26-31.
I also don't take biblical interpretation from believers. They're motivated readers trying to find ways to understand them in the context of a god belief. They can't see the error and contradiction there, but it's quite apparent to those reading open-mindedly and absent a confirmation bias.
Well that is a funny one..... you talk about open-mindedness and confirmation bias. Don't you think your claims here are hypocritical? Why? You are promioting your double standards again. You follow the religion of Atheism that does not believe in God, but cannot prove that there is no God and you have no argument or evidence against someone that knows God and has met God and seen God exists but is only revealed to all those who follow His simple directions he has given us to find him. I can point you to the door but it is you that must make the decision to walk through this door. It is a choice only you can make based on free will.
It's evidence of belief, but not of correct belief.
Who says its not correct belief. You cannot prove that there is no God can you? - Nope.
No, sin cannot be demonstrated to be real because gods can't be demonstrated to be real. The former is dependent on the veracity of the later. This is a nice example of what I just referred to. Why would you write that to me? Do you still not understand how it is received?
Sorry dear friend but I do not believe you. Sin can be demonstrated as real and factual and is simply defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments and not believing and obeying what Gods Word says. Gods 10 commandments are the standard of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right doing when obeyed). This is not a concept but something that can be demonstrated as true, factual and correct. For example if we lie, steal, murder others or commit adultery with our neighbors spouse we are committing acts that are morally wrong against our fellow man. The bible teaches we have all sinned against God and the penalty of sin to those who choose to continue in it is death (Hebrews 10:26-31) to all those who reject the free gift of Gods dear son and promised Messiah in Jesus (Romans 6:23). This is why Jesus says he who commits sin (breaking Gods commandments) is a slave to sin. If we commit sin therefore dear friend we are in bondage to our sins and once again as posted earlier, only darkness and death await all those who walk down that path.

Take Care.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Actually it is you that does not accept what Jesus says about the 10 commandments and yes you have made that decision. I believe what Jesus says about the 10 commandments you can read about them here...

JESUS said....
  • The law will now pass away until heaven and earth pass away - Matthew 5:18
  • Whoever will break the least of these commandments and teach men so will be the least in God's kingdom (the least are those who do not go there see 1 John 2:3-4)
  • Whoever obeys and teaches the law will be called great in God's kingdom - Matthew 5:19
  • Jesus taught that fail and obedience to Gods' law is required to receive eternal life - Matthew 19:17-21; John 3:36.
  • Jesus taught that the two great commandments of love are not separate from obeying Gods' law - Matthew 22:36-40
  • Jesus taught that if we break God’s Law by following man-made traditions we are not worshiping God (Matt 15:3-9)
  • Jesus says if we commit sin (breaking Gods law - 1 John 3:4) we are a servant of sin and he has come to free us from sin - John 8:32-36
  • Jesus taught if you love God you will keep God’s Law and abide in His Love - John 14:15; 15:10
  • If we love God we will obey His commandments and abide in His love - John 14:15; John 15:10
Let me know if you want to know what the Apostles say and the rest of the bible. They all disagree with you.

Take care.
So, all you've done is to show that you actually don't believe Jesus when he said that there were only Two Commandments. What you don't understand is that these Two Commandments cover the others above.

3rdAngel

JESUS said....
  • The law will not pass away until heaven and earth pass away - Matthew 5:18
Your response here...
So, all you've done is to show that you actually don't believe Jesus when he said that there were only Two Commandments. What you don't understand is that these Two Commandments cover the others above.
No. All I have done is quote Jesus disagreeing with you as shown in the scriptures in the post you are quoting from. I also asked you if you wanted quotes from the Apostles disagreeing with you. The offer is still opened. The scriptures I posted of Jesus teaching Gods 10 commandments are the standard of Christian living is not in disagreement with what Jesus teaches on the two great commandments written in Matthew 22:26-40. They are in agreement with what Jesus is teaching because Jesus says in Matthew 22:40 "On these two commandments (of Love to God and man) hang all the law and the prophets".

Love is therefore not separate from obedience to Gods law which is what you are promoting. This is the very definition of what sin is according to 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11 and Romans 3:20. Love is expressed through obeying Gods law from a new heart that has been born again to walk in the Spirit of Jesus to love. This is what Jesus is saying in Matthew 22:36-40 (Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18); Paul in Romans 13:8-10 and James in James 2:8-12. "On these two commandments of love hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:36-40). You do greatly err not knowing the scriptures promoting the false teachings of lawlessness. This is sin according to the scriptures. May you receive Gods correction through His Words and be blessed and learn from your mistakes.

Take Care.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
My friend, Jesus articulated the "greatest" two commandments. I don't think this in any way meant that there weren't other commandments. When you read his words about how not a brush stroke will fall away from the law until heaven and earth pass away, it would be rather obvious that Jesus accepted the validity of ALL the laws of the Torah.

metis

No. All I have done is quote Jesus disagreeing with you as shown in the scriptures in the post you are quoting from. I also asked you if you wanted quotes from the Apostles disagreeing with you.
No, you don't get it. What Jesus taught was that the entire law was covered with his Two Commandments in what we often call the "law of love".

metis

My friend, Jesus articulated the "greatest" two commandments. I don't think this in any way meant that there weren't other commandments. When you read his words about how not a brush stroke will fall away from the law until heaven and earth pass away, it would be rather obvious that Jesus accepted the validity of ALL the laws of the Torah.
The Two didn't negate the others, as he believed and taught that the Two included all of the others. As we mentioned before on a different thread, he was not alone with his drift as we got much the same from Hillel the Elder in regards to what the main purpose of Torah is. Jesus took that to an extreme, imo.

BTW, ever run across anything on what one theologian I went to for a three-evening seminar called the "love Pharisees"? I have not seen any such terminology from any other theological source. I know where he was coming from, but I never heard that expression.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No, you don't get it. What Jesus taught was that the entire law was covered with his Two Commandments in what we often call the "law of love".
Jesus doesn't state that. However, it's certainly not wrong. It is standard Rabbinical teaching that "Love God " and "Love your neighbor" can be used as categories under which all the commandments fall.

3rdAngel

No. All I have done is quote Jesus disagreeing with you as shown in the scriptures in the post you are quoting from. I also asked you if you wanted quotes from the Apostles disagreeing with you. The offer is still opened. The scriptures I posted of Jesus teaching Gods 10 commandments are the standard of Christian living is not in disagreement with what Jesus teaches on the two great commandments written in Matthew 22:26-40. They are in agreement with what Jesus is teaching because Jesus says in Matthew 22:40 "On these two commandments (of Love to God and man) hang all the law and the prophets". Love is therefore not separate from obedience to Gods law which is what you are promoting. This is the very definition of what sin is according to 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11 and Romans 3:20. Love is expressed through obeying Gods law from a new heart that has been born again to walk in the Spirit of Jesus to love. This is what Jesus is saying in Matthew 22:36-40 (Jesus is quoting Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18); Paul in Romans 13:8-10 and James in James 2:8-12. "On these two commandments of love hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:36-40). You do greatly err not knowing the scriptures promoting the false teachings of lawlessness. This is sin according to the scriptures. May you receive Gods correction through His Words and be blessed and learn from your mistakes.​
Your response here...
No it is you who does not get it. Tell me exactly what it is in the last post you are quoting from that you do not agree with. Jesus in quoting the two great commandments of love to God and man in Matthew 22:36-40 is quoting Old Testament Torah from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 and showing that on these two commandments (of love to God and love to man) hang all the law and the prophets. Perhaps it will help you and show you why your teaching of lawlessness is unbiblical if the scriptures are written out for you. Think what you say through before posting friend. How can the entire law include all law in Torah?

Matthew 22:36-40 36, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37, Jesus said unto him, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIND. 38, This is the first and great commandment. [39], And THE SECOND IS LIKE UNTO IT, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF. [40], ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

Jesus is quoting from these scriptures here in the Torah (Old Testament scriptures)

Deuteronomy 6:5 THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIND​
Leviticus 19:18 18, Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF: I am the LORD.​

This next scripture from Jesus also shows that Jesus is not separating love to God and man from obedience to Gods law below

Matthew 19.17-19 And he said unto him IF YOU WILL ENTER INTO LIFE KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS. He said unto him, Which? Jesus said, THOU SHALT DO NO MURDER, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOUR THY FATHER AND THY MOTHER: and, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF.​

Paul also agreeing with the words of Jesus above states that loving our neighbor as our self is simply summing up the laws last six commandments of God's 10 commandments here.

Romans 13:8-10 8, Owe no man anything, but to LOVE ONE ANOTHER: for HE THAT LOVES ANOTHER HAS FULFILLED THE LAW. 9, FOR THIS, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL, THOU SHALT NOT LIE, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and IF THERE SHALL BE ANY OTHER COMMANDMENT, it is BRIEFLY SUMMED UP in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF. 10, Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore LOVE IS THE FULFILLING OF THE LAW.​

So to try and argue here that we can love God or our our neighbor as our self without obeying God's 10 commandments is simply unbiblical because love to God and man is expressed as Paul shows here in obedience to God's 10 commandments not disobedience to God law. If we are disobedient to God's 10 commandments it is only showing that we do not love God or our fellow man and according to the scriptures sinning against God (1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11). Gods Word does not teach lawlessness. This is the very definition of what sin is according to the scriptures.

Take Care.

metis

Jesus doesn't state that.
If the Gospel account on this is correct, he did:
Matthew 22[35] "And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

3rdAngel

[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
You do know that Jesus is quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 right? Love does now abolish Gods law. Love how Gods law is obeyed. Love does not disobey Gods law. Love is expressed in obeying Gods law from the heart. Why do you think Jesus says at the end of quoting the two great commandment of love to God and man in Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 that her says at the end "On these two commandments hang (means attached to) all the law and the prophets (Matthew 26:40).

Ebionite

Let me know if you want to know what the Apostles say and the rest of the bible.
What's your take on this?

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Colossians 2:13-14

Oeste

Hi nice to meet you Oeste. Actually it is not missing any valid premise. Please read the OP carefully before responding.
Oh, I read your OP quite carefully and yes, it's missing a valid premise.

In fact, there appears to be a quite a bit missing, but I'm sure this is mere appearance, one you and/or your fellow Sabbatarians can quickly dispel for us, at least for your fellow Christians who do not hold to a Sabbath.

The OP is asking for scripture and there is no scripture that states anywhere in the bible that Sunday is "the Lords day".
There is no scripture that says Sunday is "the Lords day" because the Jews did not name any day but the 7th. It was always 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day, etc. Likewise there is no scripture that says Saturday is the Sabbath.

The only references to "the Lords day" in the bible is to Gods Sabbath day.

No, there is no scripture that says the Lords day is Sabbath day, but I'd rather get right to chase:

Scripturally, the Sabbath is the 7th Day, not Saturday.

Seventh Day Adventists (SDA's), at least the one's I've studied scripture with, appear to believe that the Sabbath is SATURDAY, which is incorrect. The whole line of reasoning is to convince everyday, normative Christians that the Sabbath is not Sunday (something we never believed to begin with), and then "switch" us to conclude that the Sabbath is Saturday (something scripture never states).

If you want to argue that Resurrection Day is not Sunday, but the 1st day, that's fine. I would not disagree. If you want to argue that the Sabbath is not Saturday, but the 7th day, that's fine too. No disagreement there. But one of the problems with your "challenge" is that you want us to prove a negative. That is, that we hold the Sabbath as Sunday when we don't hold a Sabbath at all. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to believe that the Lord's Day is the Sabbath when it has always been Resurrection Day.

Can we hold a Sabbath?
Absolutely!

Must we hold a Sabbath?
No.

Do you understand why the Sabbath does not equal Saturday? It can, but it doesn't have to. Once you start though, you cannot change your 7th. So, if you are in ancient Roman looking at your 8 day weekly calendar, or perhaps in China or Egypt looking at your 10 day weekly, and you have named rather than simply counted your days, your Sabbath will fall on a different name day. It will not fall on a consistent named day like "Saturday" but it will fall on a consistent numbered day, which is every 7th day.

This is why I believe the premise of the OP to be faulty.

According to the scripture "the Lords day" however can be referenced to "the Sabbath day" of Gods' 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11.

I've been through this verse a number of times, and at no time does it say the Lord's Day equals the Sabbath. Instead, it clearly shows no one today actually keeps a Sabbath. Let's look at it again:

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.​

There are two components to the "4th Commandment" (depending on how you count) listed here. SIX DAYS OF WORK is the first component, and a SEVENTH DAY OF REST is the second. ALL components but be kept to keep the Sabbath holy.

Under this command, WORK is just as important as REST. How much work?

SIX days.​

How much rest?

ONE day.​

So working on a day of rest is breaking God's command, but resting on a day of work day is breaking the Sabbath also. In order to "keep" the Sabbath both components must be followed. We don't get to pick the "rest" part without taking the "work" part with it.

It's simple to understand why. If you're resting 7 days a week, the Sabbath can become like any other day when all days seem the same. You're rest, for those under the Sabbath, is commanded by God. To make this day of rest more pronounced, and to really sink it in your head, God commands work the other six days. This reminds the Jews of their bondage in Egypt, but not so much as when they had to work all seven days. The seventh day is a day or rest and respite, a day of relief that reminds the Jews of their emancipation from their Egyptian taskmasters.

Yet, I suspect many of our Christian Sabbatarian friends are taking TWO day weekends when the command is for ONE day of rest! If they treat their 1st day like the 7th, how is the 7th Day kept holy? I can imagine a scenario where Christians start to believe they can give EVERY day rather than just the 7th to the Lord! Can you imagine the spiritual darkness that would descend upon the earth then?

Look, I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I've heard many Christian Sabbatarians have come back from week long (Yes, count them...7 WHOLE Days) of vacation, with NO work component at all!

Yes, Sabbath means rest, but work means work.

So I think this question needs to be answered. Why are you asking us to keep a command that you yourselves do not keep?

What Jesus taught was that the entire law was covered with his Two Commandments in what we often call the "law of love".

Verse 40 clearly spells out that "On these two commandment depend ALL the law and the prophets." Some think this is easy, but it's actually a hard teaching. It's why Jesus was able to heal (work) on the Sabbath. Let's look at 3rd Angel's response here:

You do know that Jesus is quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 right? Love does now abolish Gods law. Love how Gods law is obeyed. Love does not disobey Gods law. Love is expressed in obeying Gods law from the heart. Why do you think Jesus says at the end of quoting the two great commandment of love to God and man in Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 that her says at the end "On these two commandments hang (means attached to) all the law and the prophets (Matthew 26:40).

I don't see where Metis claims that Love "abolishes God's law". Instead, he appears to be claiming that Love is a law of God, meaning love permeates all the commandments:

"You shall LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind" and​
"You shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself."​

Since love is foundational for all the others, nothing has been "abolished".

Let us remember, God loved us when we didn't love Him, and if God's love depends on having obeyed God's law, then their is not much hope for us or the rest of mankind.

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son, so that whoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16​
“Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice. ' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” ” Matthew 9:12-13​
As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” Romans 3:10-12​
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:8-10​

If we could keep God' laws and commandments, we would not need Christ and we certainly would not need grace. The Pharisees thought they were keeping the law, and we all know what Jesus thought of them.

Unless we can surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees we can never enter the Kingdom (Matthew 5:12), which is why we profess not our own righteousness, but Christ crucified.

Not only that, but I consider everything a disadvantage in comparison with the supreme value of knowing the Messiah Yeshua as my Lord. It was because of him that I gave up everything and regard it all as garbage, in order to gain the Messiah and be found in union with him, not having any righteousness of my own based on legalism, but having that righteousness which comes through the Messiah’s faithfulness, the righteousness from God based on trust. Yes, I gave it all up in order to know him, that is, to know the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings as I am being conformed to his death,​

I can find no more "legalism" than the legalisms attached to the Sabbath. When does Sabbath begin? Friday at dusk! And when is dusk?

One Sabbath keeper claims it's civil dusk when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.
Another claims it's nautical dusk, when the sun is 12 degrees below horizon.
Another claims it's astronomical dusk, when the sun is 18 degrees below horizon.
And yet another claims it's not dusk at all, but when you can see 3 stars in the sky.

And when can I work again? At dawn! And when is dawn?

You guessed it! Rather, rinse, repeat.

Such legalisms are great fodder for debate forums, but the world has little need of them, and we are certainly not required as Christians to join the fray. Jesus worked on the Sabbath because he saw his Father working, so he worked. As Christians we should do the same. Lastly, since none of our Christian brothers are actually capable of "keeping" the Sabbath any better than did the Pharisees, I see little reason to don its yolk.

metis

Verse 40 clearly spells out that "On these two commandment depend ALL the law and the prophets." Some think this is easy, but it's actually a hard teaching. It's why Jesus was able to heal (work) on the Sabbath. Let's look at 3rd Angel's response here:
Yep, exactly, and his approach was not altogether different from the Jewish sage Hillel the Elder who was born shortly before Jesus' time, and that opinion carried forth into the School of Hillel.

3rdAngel

Oh, I read your OP quite carefully and yes, it's missing a valid premise.
If you read the OP you did nothing in your response to address what the OP was talking about. You simply ignored the OP and the challenge posted. The OP is asking for scripture and there is no scripture that states anywhere in the bible that Sunday is "the Lords day". The only references to "the Lords day" in the bible is to Gods Sabbath day.

The Greek words used for the day that JOHN was in the Spirit of is the for Lord's day are
  • REVELATION 1:10 εγενομην εν πνευματι εν τη κυριακη ημερα και ηκουσα οπισω μου φωνην μεγαλην ως σαλπιγγος
The word "κυριακη" (translit. "kuriake") is an Adjective - Dative - Singular - Feminine. This means it is being used as a 'possessive' as ownership or belonging to ("of", see 1 Corinthians 11:20, "the Lord's supper"), which means the "day" in context belongs to "the Lord". It is literally "the Lord's (belonging to) day". This means, that the "day" in context is uniquely "the Lord's" out of all the 7 days of the week, for the day under consideration is that which exists within the week, as a day which repeats weekly. This is extremely important, as those who incorrectly assume it to mean "the first [day] of the week" in lieu of Jesus' resurrection, cannot get a weekly occurrence out of a one-time event, in fulfillment of typology of the Firstfruit/Wavesheaf in Leviticus 23:9-14, as made known in 1 Corinthians 15:20,23

The problem here however is that there is not a single scripture that references Sunday or the first day of the week (bible names for the days of the week) to being "the Lords day" in scripture.

According to the scripture "the Lords day" however can be referenced to "the Sabbath day" of Gods' 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11.

Letting the scriptures answer this question
  • WHAT DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES?
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY
This then promotes a bit of a dilemma for the Church as there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that days "the Lords day" from Revelation 1:10 is Sunday. Yet there is many scriptures referencing "the Lords day" or Gods' specific claims to ownership of any particular day to the Sabbath day that he blessed and set aside as a holy day of rest for a memorial of creation (see Genesis 2:1-3) and made one of Gods' 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11).

God's "ownership" of the Sabbath day or "Lord's day is also repeated elsewhere as "MY" (ownership of the day as in the Greek used in REVELATION 1:10 κυριακη). Other scriptures in the bible pointing to "the Lords day" as being the Sabbath day...
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY. (the Sabbath day is Lord's day)
  • ISAIAH 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.
  • LEVITICUS 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day)and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
  • EZEKIEL 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day) to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge here in this OP is to prove from the scriptures alone that the Lord's DAY is in reference to the First day of the week. If you cannot all you have is a teaching and tradition of men that is not supported in the scriptures. There is not a single scripture in all the bible that refers to Sunday as being "the Lords day".

Take Care.