• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

3rdAngel

What makes you think that the New Testament qualifies as scriptures? The Gospels are clearly not supported by 2 Timothy 3 16-17 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

So that is a no ... you have no evidence so quick lets change the topic. Scripture is "God breathed" that is it is the written word inspired by God. Jesus is God and spoke Gods' words therefore scripture.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes and I already told you it was refuted in scripture context. You provided no evidence. You You just made claims of evidence without providing any and making false claims. It might help you if you read Exodus 16 and read my response to Metis.
Okay, that is your claim. A claim by a non-scholar that only has his own personal interpretation of the Bible. You are going up against experts in the Torah. I think that I will go with the experts.

Yes, Jesus apparently did not take all OT law seriously. But it is a mistake to assume that he believed that about all OT law.

3rdAngel

Okay, that is your claim. A claim by a non-scholar that only has his own personal interpretation of the Bible. You are going up against experts in the Torah. I think that I will go with the experts. Yes, Jesus apparently did not take all OT law seriously. But it is a mistake to assume that he believed that about all OT law.

So once again that is a no... you have no evidence to support your claims now do you

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So that is a no ... you have no evidence so quick lets change the topic.
There you go, running away from the questions that you cannot answer.

If you want to even use the term "scripture" and then use the Bible to defend your use of so called scripture you need to be able to define the word an justify your definition. When you can't you appear to be just making things up.

3rdAngel

There you go, running away from the questions that you cannot answer. If you want to even use the term "scripture" and then use the Bible to defend your use of so called scripture you need to be able to define the word an justify your definition. When you can't you appear to be just making things up.
No I answered your question. It is you doing the running away.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No I answered your question. It is you doing the running away.
If you did I missed it. And I doubt if you did. There has now been more than one question that you ran away from. You had a hissy fit because you were corrected and raised a false claim of "name calling" in the post with this question:

There is a problem with calling those quotes "God's word". Not even the Bible makes that mistake. Also I have never seen you deal with the even worse verses against your cause. The verses where Jesus says that he is not God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It seems you do not. You claim evidence and provide none. Then when asked for your evidence you run away or try and change the topic. That is a loss for you I believe.
LOL! You were just given an article explaining the Jewish law. But you don't check links. You really should since I posted the wrong one earlier and you did not even notice it.

And where have I changed the topic? I merely ask questions that you cannot answer.

3rdAngel

If you did I missed it. And I doubt if you did. There has now been more than one question that you ran away from. You had a hissy fit because you were corrected and raised a false claim of "name calling" in the post with this question:

There is a problem with calling those quotes "God's word". Not even the Bible makes that mistake. Also I have never seen you deal with the even worse verses against your cause. The verses where Jesus says that he is not God.
Alright you prove to me where I have not answered your questions in case I missed something so I can answer it. Post me a link as evidence. If you cannot why continue with false claims and accusations?

3rdAngel

LOL! You were just given an article explaining the Jewish law. But you don't check links. You really should since I posted the wrong one earlier and you did not even notice it.
Did you read my response? I am not interested in an article I am interested in the scriptures. None were provided. Prove your claims your making things up

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Alright you prove to me where I have not answered your questions in case I missed something so I can answer it. Post me a link as evidence. If you cannot why continue with false claims and accusations?
What? How can I do that? If you ignore a question it will not show up in your posts. All I can do is to ask the questions again as I just did. And you ignored it again:

That was an implied question. Do you want some extra question marks? Here you go: ? ? ??

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Did you read my response? I am not interested in an article I am interested in the scriptures. None were provided. Prove your claims your making things up
Sorry, but reading articles that go over why you are wrong is part of a debate.

You are playing silly fanfiction games again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am bored, but since @3rdAngel demands verses here is the verse that is the basis of the law that limits how far one may walk on the Sabbath:

Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where they are on the seventh day; no one is to go out.”

The Jewish law was based upon interpreting that verse. A reasonable distance that one could be away from one's "place" was determined.

Techum shabbat - Wikipedia

You may have a different interpretation, but you would also need to justify it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Well Jesus it seem rejected a lot of the things that the Scribes and Pharisees taught. I am just interested in what the scriptures teach not man-made tradition unsupported by the scriptures (see Matthew 15:3-9)
I'm highly influenced by the book "Jesus the Pharisee" by Rabbi Harvey Falk. It shows how the arguments with the Pharisees can best be understood as the argument between two schools of Pharisaical thought: bet Shammai (which was very very strict and dominated teh Sanhedrin in Jesus ministry years) and bet Hillel (which was more lenient). The positions that Jesus took on the law fall in line with bet Hillel (with the exception to his teaching on divorce). Thus, Jesus arguments with the bet Shammai Pharisees would be typical for the day.

Matthew 23 shows how Jesus believed the Pharisees had teaching authority, including the Oral Torah.

Matthew 23: 1-3
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do EVERYTHING they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Everything would include Oral Torah.

Also,
Matthew 23:23
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

The spice tax was an example of Oral Torah. By saying "without neglecting the former" Jesus was teaching that Jews should not neglect the Oral Torah.

Remember that Jesus was a Jew who practiced second temple Judaism, including the Oral Torah. For example, he washed his hands before eating.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
Sooo that is a no than you do not have anything to support your claims and accusations now do you. Lets be honest dear friend. There is no need to be unkind in your replies.

Take Care.
You seem too easily offended when you see the truth set to you! Why?

And you claim my scriptures is false? I asked you to point out even a single thing I said that was false and the reason why you think it is false ….

And you cannot do that yet.

What does that say about your ‘proof’?

And do I ask again, please point out even a single thing I said that was false and your reason why you think it was false!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why do you claim to be Christian when you do not believe that the scriptures of the bible are inspired by God and are God breathed? According to these same scriptures there is no salvation outside of faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) in these very words (Romans 10:17) you claim not to believe and follow according to 2 Timothy 3:16, Matthew 4:4.
Again, you keep missing the point, which appears to be your #1 m.o. On top of that, apparently you don't take serious Jesus' response to "Which is the Greatest Commandment?".

The Bible is not God and God is not the Bible, nor is the Bible perfect, thus I am not the one into idolatry as some appear to be.

So I am guess you are not really a Christian or follow that God of the bible?
Jesus said "judge ye not...", so should I return your "favor" and say that you are "not a true Christian"? No 3rdAngel, I don't make judgments like you do.

Maybe you should search your own soul versus judging others.

3rdAngel

3rdAngel said: Alright you prove to me where I have not answered your questions in case I missed something so I can answer it. Post me a link as evidence. If you cannot why continue with false claims and accusations?
Your response here...
What? How can I do that? If you ignore a question it will not show up in your posts.
So you you have no link and evidence for your false claims and accusations do you.

3rdAngel

Sorry, but reading articles that go over why you are wrong is part of a debate. You are playing silly fanfiction games again.
All right prove to me in the article where I am wrong? If you cannot why make false claims and accusations? You have no evidence again do you. Lets discuss the detail and facts.

3rdAngel

I am bored, but since @3rdAngel demands verses here is the verse that is the basis of the law that limits how far one may walk on the Sabbath: Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where they are on the seventh day; no one is to go out.”
I see so according to you, all the Jews and Jesus and the Apostles all brake the Sabbath every week when they leave their houses and go to the Synagogue to read the scriptures and seek God? You really did not think your post through very well did you and it seems you really do not know the bible at all do you (see Luke 4:16; Acts 15:21; Acts 17:2). Exodus 16 as posted earlier is about staying home and not working to collect manna on the Sabbath. It was never about you cannot leave your house on the Sabbath.
You may have a different interpretation, but you would also need to justify it.
Justified as shown in the previous section.
The Jewish law was based upon interpreting that verse. A reasonable distance that one could be away from one's "place" was determined. Techum shabbat - Wikipedia
I told you earlier I do not believe in Jewish traditions and teachings. It was never a Jewish teaching to stay home on the Sabbath. Most went to the Synagogue and there is no scripture that says we can only travel 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath. So unless you have some scripture that says you can only can travel 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath you have nothing but man-made teachings and traditions that are unsupported by the scriptures they claim to follow. A comment about scripture is not scripture.

Take Care.