• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Its a subjective man made teachings that is not supported in the Torah or old testament scriptures
If by subjective you mean its up to the rabbis to give their interpretation, then yes. And God commands that to be done.

Just as an FYI for the discussion, this is what the Torah has to say: And ye shall measure from without the city on the east side two thousand cubits, and on the south side two thousand cubits, and on the west side two thousand cubits, and on the north side two thousand cubits; and the city shall be in the midst: this shall be to them the suburbs of the cities. Numbers 35:5 2000 cubits is about .6 miles

Here is a discussion on what Jewish law says a Jew can walk on the Shabbat:
https://www.chabad.org/library/arti...h/How-far-am-I-allowed-to-walk-on-Shabbat.htm

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope running away is when you cannot address someone post and have no evidence for false claims and accusations. That is what you do as proven earlier.
And in the post that you found objectionable because it corrected a bad habit of yours there were questions that you ran away from. You did not answer them but instead took false affront at an attempt to help you to debate better.

You might want to read about how the term got its name:

Green ink

Last edited:

3rdAngel

If by subjective you mean its up to the rabbis to give their interpretation, then yes. And God commands that to be done.

Just as an FYI for the discussion, this is what the Torah has to say: And ye shall measure from without the city on the east side two thousand cubits, and on the south side two thousand cubits, and on the west side two thousand cubits, and on the north side two thousand cubits; and the city shall be in the midst: this shall be to them the suburbs of the cities. Numbers 35:5 2000 cubits is about .6 miles

Ok so where does it say you in the scriptures you can only walk 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath? - It doesn't

3rdAngel

Dude! You missed when Metis and others quoted verses to you. I saw it. I was not part of the argument. Go back and reread the thread if you missed them.
So that is a no then... You have no evidence? No I missed nothing. Metis posted a scripture out of context relating to people not leaving their homes on the Sabbath to collect manna. That was the context to the scripture he posted (Exodus 16). The scripture has nothing to do with not leaving your house on a normal Sabbath. It is about leaving your home to work on the Sabbath by collecting manna.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ok so where does it say you in the scriptures you can only walk 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath? - It doesn't
And this shows that you were not following the argument. The size was based upon how far that verses said that you could roam and the size of the largest city of that time. The distance that you could walk would depend upon the city that you lived in. The bigger the city the further you could roam from it. Clearly you could not roam further anywhere than you could roam from the largest city.

Instead of going into instant denial yo should be asking how they got that figure. It was not my argument but even I got that much out of it.

IndigoChild5559

I dont' know where the other poster came up with 1 1/4 mile.

This is what Jewish law actually is for how far one can walk on the Shabbat:
https://www.chabad.org/library/arti...h/How-far-am-I-allowed-to-walk-on-Shabbat.htm

You can see from this entry that the Rabbis decided such things as what defines a city, how far from the city wall the measurement actually begins, etc.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So that is a no then... You have no evidence? No I missed nothing. Metis posted a scripture out of context relating to people not leaving their homes on the Sabbath to collect manna. That was the context to the scripture he posted (Exodus 16).

Yes, I have evidence. It is in this thread. Will I get it for you? No. You have yet to fully live up to the politeness and not running away part of our agreement.

3rdAngel

And this shows that you were not following the argument. The size was based upon how far that verses said that you could roam and the size of the largest city of that time. The distance that you could walk would depend upon the city that you lived in. The bigger the city the further you could roam from it. Clearly you could not roam further anywhere than you could roam from the largest city.

Instead of going into instant denial yo should be asking how they got that figure. It was not my argument but even I got that much out of it.
Actually what I posted proves I have followed the argument and your not able to respond to it. Where does it say in the scripture we cannot walk 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath? - It doesn't

3rdAngel

I dont' know where the other poster came up with 1 1/4 mile.

This is what Jewish law actually is for how far one can walk on the Shabbat:

You can see from this entry that the Rabbis decided such things as what defines a city, how far from the city wall the measurement actually begins, etc.
Thanks for this but I am only interested in what the Torah or the old and new testament actually says.

3rdAngel

Yes, I have evidence. It is in this thread. Will I get it for you? No. You have yet to fully live up to the politeness and not running away part of our agreement.
If you have evidence provide it. No use talking about it if you really have none. Your running away again.

IndigoChild5559

Thanks for this but I am only interested in what the Torah or the old and new testament actually says.
There is no such thing as being interested only in what the Torah says, since the Torah itself gives authority to the Rabbis. IOW if you reject that rabbinical elucidations, you have to reject the Torah in order to do so. (Deuteronomy 17:8-13) There is no Torah without oral Torah.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually what I posted proves I have followed the argument and your not able to respond to it. Where does it say in the scripture we cannot walk 1 1/4 mile on the Sabbath? - It doesn't

That is a poor claim to make. You just took on the burden of proof. Now you have to prove that the Bible does not say that. Claiming that you do not understand how it does so would have been okay, but you just took on the burden of proving that it does not, and that is a very difficult task.

Once again, this was not my argument. But I followed it and it did not look good for you. All you had was denial and you ignored the verses used against you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you have evidence provide it. No use talking about it if you really have none. Your running away again.

I told you where the evidence is. I am merely commenting as a bystander. You could politely ask mentis for the verses again. Or you could search his posts in this thread. You would not have to go back too far.

My refusing to do your homework for you is not running away. I told you how to find the evidence that you misted the first time around. That is not running away.

3rdAngel

There is no such thing as being interested only in what the Torah says, since the Torah itself gives authority to the Rabbis. IOW if you reject that rabbinical elucidations, you have to reject the Torah in order to do so. (Deuteronomy 17:8-13) There is no Torah without oral Torah.
Well Jesus it seem rejected a lot of the things that the Scribes and Pharisees taught. I am just interested in what the scriptures teach not man-made tradition unsupported by the scriptures (see Matthew 15:3-9)

3rdAngel

That is a poor claim to make. You just took on the burden of proof. Now you have to prove that the Bible does not say that. Claiming that you do not understand how it does so would have been okay, but you just took on the burden of proving that it does not, and that is a very difficult task.

Once again, this was not my argument. But I followed it and it did not look good for you. All you had was denial and you ignored the verses used against you.

You never followed that conversation did you. My challenge to you is to prove your claims. Post a link to what you claim is evidence that we are to stay at home on the Sabbath? If you cannot your just making up stuff again unsupported by evidence and running away again.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

I told you where the evidence is. I am merely commenting as a bystander. You could politely ask mentis for the verses again. Or you could search his posts in this thread. You would not have to go back too far.

My refusing to do your homework for you is not running away. I told you how to find the evidence that you misted the first time around. That is not running away.

Yes and I already told you it was refuted in scripture context. You provided no evidence. You You just made claims of evidence without providing any and making false claims. It might help you if you read Exodus 16 and read my response to Metis.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well Jesus it seem rejected a lot of the things that the Scribes and Pharisees taught. I am just interested in what the scriptures teach not man-made tradition unsupported by the scriptures (see Matthew 15:3-9)
What makes you think that the New Testament qualifies as scriptures? The Gospels are clearly not supported by 2 Timothy 3 16-17

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.