• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

FineLinen

“We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” - Dietrich Bonhoeffer--

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” - Dalai Lama XIV-

photo-1564121211835-e88c852648ab

FineLinen

you-will-never-regret-being-600w-326590373.jpg

“When you tend to another's dying embers, you find both warmth and an increase in the glow of your own fire.” - Richelle E. Goodrich-

“Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.” - Eric Hoffer-

“Kindness is not random, it is done on purpose” - Sonya Withrow-

Last edited:

FineLinen

kindness.png

“It only takes a split second to smile and forget, yet to someone that needed it, it can last a lifetime.” - Steve Maraboli-

"I do believe in the power of prayer. I do. And I believe in the power of human kindness.” - Leland Dirks-

Kindness =

A waltz with forgiveness and hope.

Last edited:

FineLinen

rainbow-lorikeet-3893061_960_720.jpg

"A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men." -Thomas Carlyle-

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much." -Blaise Pascal-

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How Generosity Benefits Us

As children, our parents tell us to make up for misbehaving by doing something nice for someone. As adults, we help friends move into a new house; we bring hot meals to new mothers; we might even donate time or money to local charities a few times a year. After all, it’s naturally uncomfortable to see a friend (or stranger) suffering or in need. Call it karma or mojo, but these acts are generally reciprocated. We receive tax breaks, returned meals and favors, thank-you notes. Tit for tat.

But what about pure, altruistic generosity, without the expectation of receiving something in return? Some researchers argue this type of generosity doesn’t exist. But I set out to see whether I could learn to give without the promise of getting. I made lists of various kind acts and placed reminders on my bathroom mirror, my work computer, my car dashboard: Make someone’s day today!

Comes from this excellent article -

How 30 Days of Kindness Made Me a Better Person | SUCCESS

Enjoy your day!

FineLinen

“Those who make compassion an essential part of their lives find the joy of life. Kindness deepens the spirit and produces rewards that cannot be completely explained in words. It is an experience more powerful than words. To become acquainted with kindness one must be prepared to learn new things and feel new feelings. Kindness is more than a philosophy of the mind. It is a philosophy of the spirit.” - Robert J. Furey-

kindness-quotes-pictures.jpg

FineLinen

"If you can be anything, be kind." -Unknown-

"Kindness is love made visible." -M. Swanepoel-

"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good I can do to my fellow man, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." -William Penn-

medium_Kindness_is_giving_hope.png

one-kind-word-can-change-600w-641142043.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Matthieu Ricard kindness -

He has written an entire book on altruism.

This site is also worth a gander -

Acting with other people's welfare in mind can transform us one by one, until ultimately we create an “altruistic revolution,” Ricard says.

He defines altruism as simply “the wish that other people may be happy.”

“There have been many studies that have shown that people who give are significantly happier,” Ricard says, citing Canadian psychologist Elizabeth Dunn's study of adults who were given large sums of money. One group was instructed to spend the money on themselves. The other group was asked to share the money.

“Some brought presents for children they knew, others bought lottery tickets and handed them out to strangers or they bought coffee and sandwiches for homeless people,” Ricard says.

At the end of the day, the people who spent the money on themselves were no more or less happy than they were originally. Meanwhile, the people who spent the money on others were significantly happier than they were originally.

5 secrets of kindness from the 'world's happiest man'

Also scroll down to their season of kindness link!

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
My mother and I founded Born This Way Foundation because we understood the power that kindness has to radically transform lives. We knew that we had to build a culture that leads with kindness – in our schools, our workplaces, our communities – and a world that validates the emotions of young people so that no one feels alone or broken.

Every program we’ve created and supported since our founding has been built around those beliefs, supporting young people as they create a kinder, braver world. Born This Way Foundation has created a new lens for me to see the world. I look for kindness, bravery, authenticity, and resilience. That lens has changed my life, it has saved my life, and I am proud to do this work. Every day at Born This Way Foundation, we focus on supporting kindness, bravery, and the hopeful, engaged generation that is changing the world.

On Giving Tuesday, I am asking you to shift culture with us, to help us look for and amplify kindness and bravery, and build the community that powers it. With your donation, Born This Way Foundation can support young people through programs like:

A Season Of Kindness - Channel Kindness

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When the supermarket clerk tallied up my groceries, I was $12 over what I had on me. I began to remove items from the bags, when another shopper handed me a $20 bill. “Please don’t put yourself out,” I told him. “Let me tell you a story,” he said. “My mother is in the hospital with cancer. I visit her every day and bring her flowers. I went this morning, and she got mad at me for spending my money on more flowers. She demanded that I do something else with that money. So, here, please accept this. It is my mother’s flowers.” – Leslie Wagner, Peel, Arkansas. Here are 30 more acts of kindness you can do in two minutes or less.

Comes from the reader's digest site -

24 Stories About the Touching Kindness of Strangers That’ll Make You Tear Up

Enjoy your day!

FineLinen

iu

"Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." -Barbara De Angelis-

"It is the characteristic of the magnanimous man to ask no favor but to be ready to do kindness to others." -Aristotle-

"A word spoken in loving kindness is worth far more than any gift." -Sir David Baird-

Last edited:

FineLinen

iu

"We rise by lifting others." -Robert Ingersoll-

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" -Jean-Jacques Rousseau-

"An egoist lives in poverty. A kind person lives in abundance." - Maxime Lagacé-

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's an interesting collection of articles on being a good citizen in troubled times.

How to Be a Good Citizen in Troubled Times

For a taste -

Do Your Little Bit of Good

by Toni Bernhard

When the Buddha said, “A follower of the dharma does not contend with anyone,” he was presenting the essential qualities of a good citizen—open-mindedness and nonattachment to views.

As a good citizen, you grant those with opposite views the benefit of the doubt as to their intentions. At the same time, however, you work in accordance with your own views to alleviate suffering and make life better for others. In the words of Desmond Tutu, “Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”

You might be an activist in national or local politics. You might volunteer as a hospice worker. You might help a neighbor in need. Whatever you do, by not contending with others, a good citizen acts out of compassion, not anger, and alleviates suffering one step at a time.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Character strengths - includes this -

Virtue of Humanity

There is a reason why Oprah Winfrey is seen as a symbol of virtue for humanitarians: on every show, she approaches her guests with respect, appreciation, and interest (social intelligence), she practices kindness through her charity work, and she shows her love to her friends and family.

Strengths that accompany this virtue include caring and befriending others:

Love

Kindness

Social intelligence

Read the full article here - kindness is just one of the 24 character strengths we all have to varying degrees ...

The Classification of Character Strengths and Virtues

Enjoy your day!

:)

FineLinen

Grocery Store Giver

I was young, had several small children at home, and we were living on a pastor's salary.

At the grocery store one day, when we got to the check out and my groceries were rung up, I had put more on the check-out belt than I had the money for.

As I started to select items to remove from my purchase, the woman behind me held up her card and said,

"I've got it! Please don't put anything back."

I was in tears as I bagged my groceries and blubbered a heart-felt thank you to her as I left. This was years ago, but the incident still brings tears to my eyes.

“Kindness is spreading sunshine into other people's lives regardness of the weather."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Give and You Shall Receive

We’ve heard of love hormones and stress hormones, but kindness hormones are also a thing and they could be the key to us thriving in the current climate.

As Dr. David R Hamilton explains, “When we give, it is the feeling of warmth, connection, even love or affection, that generates the kindness hormones. Research even shows that oxytocin (a kindness hormone) helps protect muscles from damage, which may even contribute to the effect of kindness increasing endurance. At the same time, the emotional high (known as ‘Helper’s High’) can produce a psychological state of exhilaration.”

Comes from this site I just discovered -

Staying Healthy with Connected Kindness

Enjoy your day!