• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jewish Jehovah's Witness.

djhwoodwerks

Our dress and grooming speaks a lot about about what kind of person we are. How seriously would you take someone coming to your door preaching, if they were unkempt and dressed in a slovenly manner? What if they were covered in tattoos and had a weird hairstyle? If you are representing Jesus to others, don't you owe it to him not to repel people by your personal taste? Christianity is about sacrifice, not freedom of expression, regardless of the cost. (Matt 17:6)

I don't understand! Are you just throwing verses out there?

Mat 17:6 (ESVST) 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified.

djhwoodwerks

We are no longer seeing those gifts that identified Christ's anointed. These gifts were for a time and for a purpose, so once that purpose was served, the "traits" of a spiritual baby (1 Cor 13:11) were replaced with the more mature aspects of the kingdom.....the message that was to be taken by Christ's followers, searching for "worthy ones" in "all the inhabited earth as a witness to all the nations" before Jesus brings this world to an accounting. (Matt 24:14, 28:19, 20, 10:11-15)

Because no one really believes what Jesus Himself said.

I think this is a verse JW's use to claim everyone is to preach the gospel, correct?

Mar 16:15 (ESVST) 15 And he said to them, " Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

Let's read a few verses in context, shall we?

Mar 16:15-18 (ESVST) 15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."

If verse 15 is for us today, then verses 17 and 18 has to be for us also, correct? Jesus said it all in one conversation, didn't He?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I understand your point. The thing is there is no YHWH in the new testament. There are only third party reference. I know that Yahweh is considered by the Jews as the God's personal name, but that is never mentioned in the Gospels or the other 23 or 25 books in the new testament.

But I do agree, that the Jews considered Yahweh as his personal name and nothing comes close to it, not Jesus or anyone for that matter.

There is no mention of YHWH in the NT because the Jews had long refrained from uttering the divine name and over time, its pronunciation was lost, replaced by titles such as "Lord" or "God". Nowhere was there ever a prohibition on saying God's name out loud. It appears "taking the Lord's name in vain" was skirted by not using it at all.

As Paul said, "there are many gods and many lords" so unless you identify YHWH as the true God (as Jesus did in John 17:3) he will be just another god among the gods to people of the nations.
Israel's God had a name and they used it freely and reverently. It was inseparable from his people. We can see this this in the Psalms alone where the tetragrammaton is found 780 times. To remove the divine name and replace it with a title is a lot of substitution! o_O

Of course there is one God. All monotheistic religions believe that right?

Well, there are actually three gods in Christendom, but they cram them all into one head somehow. This is not at all surprising because the origin of much of Christendom's teaching is ancient Babylon. The Babylonian pantheon came to have a number of triads of gods. One such triad was composed of Anu (the god of the sky), Enlil (the god of the earth, air, and storm), and Ea (the god presiding over the waters). Another triad was that of the moon-god Sin, the sun-god Shamash, and the fertility goddess Ishtar, the lover or consort of Tammuz. The Babylonians even had triads of devils, such as the triad of Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu. The worship of heavenly bodies became prominent (Isa 47:13), and various planets came to be associated with certain deities. The planet Jupiter was identified with the chief god of Babylon, Marduk; Venus with Ishtar, a goddess of love and fertility; Saturn with Ninurta, a god of war and hunting and patron of agriculture; Mercury with Nebo, a god of wisdom and agriculture; Mars with Nergal, a god of war and pestilence and lord of the underworld.

We see with the change to the Gregorian calendar, no shift in the names of pagan deities in the months and days of the week. Babylonian false worship is alive ans well in Christendom.

Elohe Yahweh. Studying the bible you will see that the 4 letter word YHWH is mentioned some 6828 times. It is always not mentioned as a name. If you read it in hebrew, especially the verse you quoted above 3:15 you cannot render it as a personal name. WHen you say "Elohe Yahweh Yisrael" it has to read "God the lord of Israel".

And there are many who use the verse in between that you did not quote 3:14 to say that God's name is "Yah". That also has a lot of authenticity (Though I dont believe it). That also says "Ehye asher ehye" or "Ego Eimi Ho On". Like saying I am who I am as if to connote that I dont need a name.

On the contrary, in Ex 3:13-15 in the Complete Jewish Bible says:
"Moshe said to God, “Look, when I appear before the people of Isra’el and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” 14 God said to Moshe, “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be],” and added, “Here is what to say to the people of Isra’el: ‘Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.’” 15 God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation."

The personal name of YHWH (Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh) can be rendered "I Will Be What I Will Be", which is not simply a statement of his existence but of his actions in preserving his will.
YHWH is the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wahʹ (become); indicating that God can "become" whatever is necessary to accomplish his purpose.

Yah or Jah is the shortened form of the divine name and is incorporated into such words as "hallelujah"...which means "praise Jah" or Jehovah..

Romans 13:10 does not say what you say.

Joel moreover reads call on YHWH be Shem or YHWH's name. That may also not mean that repeat the name YHWH or pronounce it, it actually means call on his name

Unless you know the God who bears that name, you will not be saved. As Jesus said (John 17:3) we have to "know" Jehovah as the "only true God" and also "know" his son. I don't believe that Christendom knows them at all.

Deeje. I know that many people have worshipped various models and names of God. RIght now in Christianity there are those who worship Yahweh and there some who worship Yah or/and Jah. If God found it necessary to reveal his true personal name to distinguish between false God's and himself the there is a logical fallacy there. If he is the only God, he would not have a name. God would not name himself. Naming is done only to distinguish between yourself and another person. If there are non, you dont need a name. Your point will have weight if it was God himself saying it.

If there were no false gods from whom to distinguish himself and his people, that might be true. But humans did not give God his name...he revealed it to them. They used it freely and reverently throughout the Bible.

But I understand your point. YHWH first appears when Abraham in the 15th chapter utters it. So before God himself reveals his name personally in order to distinguish himself from other Gods or deities, it was Abraham who says it. And he says it as a matter of fact.

YHWH though definitely stands out because no one is referred to as YHWH. When moses was named or sent as GOd to the phareoh that was Elohim. I mean Moses was sent as Elohim. And its YHWH who sends him. Thus YHWH is definitely only referred to the divine God, the absolute, the eternal, the creator, the sustainer etc. When others are referred like moses its Elohim, with respect, royal plural, but is not God like YHWH but a representative of YHWH. This is, the beauty and the eloquence of the language.

Indeed Abraham knew God's name long before Moses was told to declare it to his people in Egypt. Remember that they had been in Egypt for 175 years and enslaved for a good while before God delivered them. God's prophets also spoke in Jehovah's name, keeping it before the people constantly. Jeremiah mentions Jehovah 729 times in his pronouncements; Isaiah 480 times; Ezekiel 441 times.

Anyway Deeje, my tirade is over but I have one question.

If Gods name, I mean personal name is YHWH, why do you put a J into it? Do you understand. If its any other word its fine, but a personal name cannot be changed right? Your name might have a meaning or not, but YHWH certainly does. Why would you change it. Why not call him by his real name without changing it? Afterall, its God himself, not even a human name we change (Of course other than Jesus, Peter etc which is also kind of absurd but I dont mind).

Now if you name was Beautiful I cant call you BEETUFIL. Again, not being derogative.

We acknowledge that there is no "J" in the Hebrew alphabet. But translation is a serious business so we want to make sure that nothing is lost as to meaning or intent when we translate from one language to another. If translation was a purely human endeavor, that would be a worry, but I believe that God has been guiding the writing and preservation his word from the beginning. It is still here today intact, virtually as it was written, preserving the vital message it conveys about God and his purpose for the earth and for the people who inhabit it, and despite numerous attempts to destroy it. Its message is still as relevant today as the day it was written.

Changing names is not unusual in the Bible. Abram was changed to Abraham and Sarai to Sarah. Jocob had his name changed to Israel. As you said, "Jesus" is not his name in Hebrew, yet few quibble about its English translation. Think of all the other "J" names in the Bible...Jeremiah, Jehosaphat, Jeoahaz, Jehoram, Joshua, Jehu, Joel....none of which are Hebrew names. Most are derivatives from the divine name and incorporate it into the meaning. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Have you ever really read those verses? I mean, "honestly" read them, without the WT twist on them?

Have you really read those words in context with the rest of what the scriptures say about the nature of God and his relationship with his God and Father? You yourself have Christendom's "twist" have you not?

What about Phil 2:10?

Phi 2:9-11 (ESVST) 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Isa 45:22-23 (ESVST) For I am God, and there is no other. 23 By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'

I love it when people present Phil 2:9-12 as proof of the trinity. Read the parts you haven't highlighted.

"Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name"
In your understanding, one part of the godhead highly exalted another equal part of himself and gave that part of himself a name that is above every name. If the name of God is YHWH and he is "the Most High over all the earth" how can he be given a name higher than what he already has? Please explain how that is possible.

"and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" Do you see that last part? Everything Jesus did was "to the glory of the God the Father". If Jesus was God, then he would do everything to his own glory. He would have told his disciples to worship him....but he never did. (Luke 4:8) There is not one scripture that says "God the Son" nor is there one mention of "God the Holy Spirit". There is just "God the Father"....the rest is made up by an apostate church.

Paul's words confirm this...."For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him."

The "one God" was identified as "the Father" separated from their "one Lord Jesus Christ". Jesus himself also said that his Father is "the only true God" and separated himself from equal standing, saying he was "the one [God] sent forth". (John 17:3)

Acts 4:29, 30:
"And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, 30 while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” (ESV)

Paul here called Jesus God's "holy servant". Could he ever do so to a deity of equal standing with the Father? God is the servant of no one.

Oh no! Could this be proof that Jesus is God? It is enough for me!!

Not enough for me...sorry.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You're partly correct, satan "did" have authority over the world, for a while. What did Jesus say in Mat 28:18?

Mat 28:16-18 (ESVST) 16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." Does "ALL" authority mean just some? Does it mean all except for what satan has? Does it mean something like Col 1:16 in the NWT, "16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible", "all other authority" has been given to me?

So you're telling me that satan no longer rules this world.....o_O How then do you explain the state of the world with its ever increasing wickedness?

Satan and his hordes are now confined to the earth, having been kicked out of heaven by the newly enthroned king of God's kingdom at the conclusion of the "gentile Times". (Luke 21:24) This signaled the beginning of "the time of the end". (Matt 24:3-14)

What we are experiencing now is what is related in Rev 12:7-12:
"And war broke out in heaven: Miʹcha·el and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them any longer in heaven. 9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him. 10 I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the Kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God! 11 And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, and they did not love their souls even in the face of death. 12 On this account be glad, you heavens and you who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing that he has a short period of time.”

Running out of time, the devil is now pulling out all the stops. His anger is now focused on "accusing Christ's brothers" in every way he can. Those in heaven rejoice to be rid of them, but those of us on earth are the target of his wrath.....but not for much longer. (Matt 25:41)

For those hoodwinked by the devil, into ignoring or opposing Jesus true disciples, 2 Thess 1:6-9 is yet future.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I don't understand! Are you just throwing verses out there?

Mat 17:6 (ESVST) 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified.

Apologies...I meant Matt 18:6:
"But whoever stumbles one of these little ones who have faith in me, it would be better for him to have hung around his neck a millstone that is turned by a donkey and to be sunk in the open sea."

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Because no one really believes what Jesus Himself said.

I think this is a verse JW's use to claim everyone is to preach the gospel, correct?

Matt 24:14 is Jesus telling his disciples that "this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."
The "end" was the end of the age, not just the end of the Jewish system of worship. The preaching about God's kingdom was to continue right up until Christ's second coming and the establishment of God's kingdom over the earth.

Mar 16:15 (ESVST) 15 And he said to them, " Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

Let's read a few verses in context, shall we?

Mar 16:15-18 (ESVST) 15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."

If verse 15 is for us today, then verses 17 and 18 has to be for us also, correct? Jesus said it all in one conversation, didn't He?

These are recognized as spurious verses. There was no drinking poison or handling of deadly snakes. Mark 16 from verses 9 onward were added later by those intending to corrupt the scriptures. They are omitted from many Bibles or quoted in small print to demonstrate that they are not part of the original text.

Our commission was to go out to the people with the kingdom message. (Matt 28:19, 20; 10:11-15) All Christians have the commission to preach and to warn others about God's coming day of wrath. It wasn't an option...it was a command.

firedragon

Veteran Member
There is no mention of YHWH in the NT because the Jews had long refrained from uttering the divine name and over time, its pronunciation was lost, replaced by titles such as "Lord" or "God". Nowhere was there ever a prohibition on saying God's name out loud. It appears "taking the Lord's name in vain" was skirted by not using it at all.

As Paul said, "there are many gods and many lords" so unless you identify YHWH as the true God (as Jesus did in John 17:3) he will be just another god among the gods to people of the nations.
Israel's God had a name and they used it freely and reverently. It was inseparable from his people. We can see this this in the Psalms alone where the tetragrammaton is found 780 times. To remove the divine name and replace it with a title is a lot of substitution! o_O

Well, there are actually three gods in Christendom, but they cram them all into one head somehow. This is not at all surprising because the origin of much of Christendom's teaching is ancient Babylon. The Babylonian pantheon came to have a number of triads of gods. One such triad was composed of Anu (the god of the sky), Enlil (the god of the earth, air, and storm), and Ea (the god presiding over the waters). Another triad was that of the moon-god Sin, the sun-god Shamash, and the fertility goddess Ishtar, the lover or consort of Tammuz. The Babylonians even had triads of devils, such as the triad of Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu. The worship of heavenly bodies became prominent (Isa 47:13), and various planets came to be associated with certain deities. The planet Jupiter was identified with the chief god of Babylon, Marduk; Venus with Ishtar, a goddess of love and fertility; Saturn with Ninurta, a god of war and hunting and patron of agriculture; Mercury with Nebo, a god of wisdom and agriculture; Mars with Nergal, a god of war and pestilence and lord of the underworld.

We see with the change to the Gregorian calendar, no shift in the names of pagan deities in the months and days of the week. Babylonian false worship is alive ans well in Christendom.

On the contrary, in Ex 3:13-15 in the Complete Jewish Bible says:
"Moshe said to God, “Look, when I appear before the people of Isra’el and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” 14 God said to Moshe, “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be],” and added, “Here is what to say to the people of Isra’el: ‘Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.’” 15 God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation."

The personal name of YHWH (Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh) can be rendered "I Will Be What I Will Be", which is not simply a statement of his existence but of his actions in preserving his will.
YHWH is the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wahʹ (become); indicating that God can "become" whatever is necessary to accomplish his purpose.

Yah or Jah is the shortened form of the divine name and is incorporated into such words as "hallelujah"...which means "praise Jah" or Jehovah..

Unless you know the God who bears that name, you will not be saved. As Jesus said (John 17:3) we have to "know" Jehovah as the "only true God" and also "know" his son. I don't believe that Christendom knows them at all.

If there were no false gods from whom to distinguish himself and his people, that might be true. But humans did not give God his name...he revealed it to them. They used it freely and reverently throughout the Bible.

Indeed Abraham knew God's name long before Moses was told to declare it to his people in Egypt. Remember that they had been in Egypt for 175 years and enslaved for a good while before God delivered them. God's prophets also spoke in Jehovah's name, keeping it before the people constantly. Jeremiah mentions Jehovah 729 times in his pronouncements; Isaiah 480 times; Ezekiel 441 times.

We acknowledge that there is no "J" in the Hebrew alphabet. But translation is a serious business so we want to make sure that nothing is lost as to meaning or intent when we translate from one language to another. If translation was a purely human endeavor, that would be a worry, but I believe that God has been guiding the writing and preservation his word from the beginning. It is still here today intact, virtually as it was written, preserving the vital message it conveys about God and his purpose for the earth and for the people who inhabit it, and despite numerous attempts to destroy it. Its message is still as relevant today as the day it was written.

Changing names is not unusual in the Bible. Abram was changed to Abraham and Sarai to Sarah. Jocob had his name changed to Israel. As you said, "Jesus" is not his name in Hebrew, yet few quibble about its English translation. Think of all the other "J" names in the Bible...Jeremiah, Jehosaphat, Jeoahaz, Jehoram, Joshua, Jehu, Joel....none of which are Hebrew names. Most are derivatives from the divine name and incorporate it into the meaning. :)

Sis. With all due respect, I have to give you the point that your Gods personal name is Yahweh. It is not only your theological point of view but also biblical. Yahweh is mentioned too many times in the bible to neglect it. Bible study has gone into various directions now thus I dont believe in a Gods name, but then again, I dont believe the bible to be the word of God. Thus, I give that point to you. Your Gods personal name is Yahweh.

But sis, contrary to what is averagely said, Hallelujah does not have much weight on Yahweh. Ya is not a short for Yahweh. Yahweh is largely accepted to come from hawah to mean he exists. Thats why some branches of christianity calls him "Ya". Like Sinaiticism.

The non citing of YHWH in the NT is only speculation because they were written in Greek. The Greek translations of the OT in the early centuries after Jesus had YHWH, some left it as it was because it was divine. Thus, if it was mentioned in some Hebrew version of the NT, the greek would have left them as it is too.

But YHWH is not there in the NT because its simply not there.

My question would be, you use the OT for the Justification of the name Yahweh. Then why would you follow the doctrine of the NT? Yahweh gave you the OT? Why dont you follow it?

I presume you believe Jesus is the son of God. Then Adam, Ephraim, Israel are all sons of God. IN fact, Ephraim and Israel are prototokos, eldest born.

I understand that you dont believe in a trinity. Thats very nearing the Jewish doctrine. I understand that you follow pure monotheism with no glitches. Forget about translations of the OT, why do you not follow the OT to the tee?

I do not mean any disrecpect. Also, there are few who understand a question and provides a valid answer. You actually are one of the few. (BTW, I realised you were a sister because an earlier post called you "SHe")

Thanks

Peace.

djhwoodwerks

So you're telling me that satan no longer rules this world.....o_O How then do you explain the state of the world with its ever increasing wickedness?

So you're telling me Jesus lied to us when He said "ALL" authority was given to Him, in heaven and "ON EARTH"?

rosends

Your Gods personal name is Yahweh.

But sis, contrary to what is averagely said, Hallelujah does not have much weight on Yahweh. Ya is not a short for Yahweh. Yahweh is largely accepted to come from hawah to mean he exists
Sorry to intrude here but this is ridiculous.

Not only is there no word in the Torah "Yahweh" but there is no word in Hebrew "hawah" and if there were, it wouldn't mean "he exists." Plus some other stuff.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sis. With all due respect, I have to give you the point that your Gods personal name is Yahweh. It is not only your theological point of view but also biblical. Yahweh is mentioned too many times in the bible to neglect it. Bible study has gone into various directions now thus I dont believe in a Gods name, but then again, I dont believe the bible to be the word of God. Thus, I give that point to you. Your Gods personal name is Yahweh.

But sis, contrary to what is averagely said, Hallelujah does not have much weight on Yahweh. Ya is not a short for Yahweh. Yahweh is largely accepted to come from hawah to mean he exists. Thats why some branches of christianity calls him "Ya". Like Sinaiticism.

I guess that depends on who you take as your scholar on the subject....

"The Codex Leningrad B 19A, of the 11th century C.E., vowel points the Tetragrammaton to read Yehwahʹ, Yehwihʹ, and Yeho·wahʹ. Ginsburg’s edition of the Masoretic text vowel points the divine name to read Yeho·wahʹ. (Ge 3:14, ftn) Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yahʹ (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”). (Ps 104:35; 150:1, 6) Also, the forms Yehohʹ, Yoh, Yah, and Yaʹhu, found in the Hebrew spelling of the names Jehoshaphat, Joshaphat, Shephatiah, and others, can all be derived from Yahweh. Greek transliterations of the name by early Christian writers point in a somewhat similar direction with spellings such as I·a·beʹ and I·a·ou·eʹ, which, as pronounced in Greek, resemble Yahweh. Still, there is by no means unanimity among scholars on the subject, some favoring yet other pronunciations, such as “Yahuwa,” “Yahuah,” or “Yehuah.”
Since certainty of pronunciation is not now attainable, there seems to be no reason for abandoning in English the well-known form “Jehovah” in favor of some other suggested pronunciation. If such a change were made, then, to be consistent, changes should be made in the spelling and pronunciation of a host of other names found in the Scriptures: Jeremiah would be changed to Yir·meyahʹ, Isaiah would become Yeshaʽ·yaʹhu, and Jesus would be either Yehoh·shuʹaʽ (as in Hebrew) or I·e·sousʹ (as in Greek). The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name Jehovah identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes."
(Insight Volumes)

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002391

The non citing of YHWH in the NT is only speculation because they were written in Greek. The Greek translations of the OT in the early centuries after Jesus had YHWH, some left it as it was because it was divine. Thus, if it was mentioned in some Hebrew version of the NT, the greek would have left them as it is too.

But YHWH is not there in the NT because its simply not there.

Our New World Translation places the divine name into any quotation from the Hebrew scriptures, where the tetragrammaton appeared. What possible argument could there be for NOT doing so? God did not remove his name from the scriptures...men did that without authorization.

The link explains why we retain the name in the NT....

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070205?q=divine+name+in&p=par

My question would be, you use the OT for the Justification of the name Yahweh. Then why would you follow the doctrine of the NT? Yahweh gave you the OT? Why dont you follow it?

Simple, Christ came to fulfill the law and to abolish it. Christians are no longer under the OT law. It was for Jews only. Gentile Christians were not forced to keep the Mosaic Law.

Rom 10:4:
"For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

Col 2:13, 14:
"Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."

I presume you believe Jesus is the son of God. Then Adam, Ephraim, Israel are all sons of God. IN fact, Ephraim and Israel are prototokos, eldest born.

All "sons of God" are either direct creations or adopted into his spiritual family. The son of God was called "monogenes" but he was by no means the only "son of God". Like all other sons, he was "begotten"....needing a Father.

I understand that you dont believe in a trinity. Thats very nearing the Jewish doctrine. I understand that you follow pure monotheism with no glitches. Forget about translations of the OT, why do you not follow the OT to the tee?

We are not Jews, but we worship the same God who was the God and Father of Jesus Christ. All of the first Christians were Jewish and like Jesus were "under law"...that is until Christ 'took it out of the way' by giving his life for us. Christianity was then offered to gentiles who were under no obligation to keep the law except what was stated in Acts 15:28, 29.

I do not mean any disrecpect. Also, there are few who understand a question and provides a valid answer. You actually are one of the few. (BTW, I realised you were a sister because an earlier post called you "SHe")

Not that gender matters...right?

And to you.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You are confused, or telling the lies of your GB. Christendom doesn't believe there are three gods, there is only one God in 3 persons.

Three "persons" doesn't equal three gods?
Weird math. 1+1+1= 3.........1+1+1 never = 1 in any mathematical equation I know of. God is not illogical. He is "one Jehovah" (Deut 6:4) If he was a triune being, then why not reveal this to his chosen nation and more importantly to his representatives, the prophets? There is no trinity in the OT and the Jews still don't believe that God is anything but a single entity. The trinity came into existence in an apostate church hundreds of years after Christ died, it is not a teaching of any Bible writer. It is not a teaching of Jesus Christ. (John 17:3)

How do three individual entities inhabit one head? How can one be the "Father" and the other the "son" and yet be co-eternal? How can one "person" know things that the other doesn't when they exist in the same head? How does one inhabit an entirely different realm in an entirely different state of being and still be equal with the one who stayed in heaven? Why did one pray to the other for help and strength if he was still "God incarnate"?
Why is the third and equal part rarely mentioned when the Father and son are always together?

If a human presents with multiple personalities, they are treated for mental illness, but do you think that being made in God's image, that multiple personalities could be a natural and beneficial thing? You might need to re-write the psychiatry text books. o_O

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So you're telling me Jesus lied to us when He said "ALL" authority was given to Him, in heaven and "ON EARTH"?

The "authority" he has on earth up to the time when he comes as judge, is over his own followers. These are the ones who defer to him as Lord and teacher, obeying him in all things.
The world at large is not yet subject to him...(in case you haven't noticed.) o_O If Jesus is exercising authority over the earth right now, then explain why there is so much violence and chaos....
Rev 12:7-12 explains it completely.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I guess that depends on who you take as your scholar on the subject....

"The Codex Leningrad B 19A, of the 11th century C.E., vowel points the Tetragrammaton to read Yehwahʹ, Yehwihʹ, and Yeho·wahʹ. Ginsburg’s edition of the Masoretic text vowel points the divine name to read Yeho·wahʹ. (Ge 3:14, ftn) Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yahʹ (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”). (Ps 104:35; 150:1, 6) Also, the forms Yehohʹ, Yoh, Yah, and Yaʹhu, found in the Hebrew spelling of the names Jehoshaphat, Joshaphat, Shephatiah, and others, can all be derived from Yahweh. Greek transliterations of the name by early Christian writers point in a somewhat similar direction with spellings such as I·a·beʹ and I·a·ou·eʹ, which, as pronounced in Greek, resemble Yahweh. Still, there is by no means unanimity among scholars on the subject, some favoring yet other pronunciations, such as “Yahuwa,” “Yahuah,” or “Yehuah.”
Since certainty of pronunciation is not now attainable, there seems to be no reason for abandoning in English the well-known form “Jehovah” in favor of some other suggested pronunciation. If such a change were made, then, to be consistent, changes should be made in the spelling and pronunciation of a host of other names found in the Scriptures: Jeremiah would be changed to Yir·meyahʹ, Isaiah would become Yeshaʽ·yaʹhu, and Jesus would be either Yehoh·shuʹaʽ (as in Hebrew) or I·e·sousʹ (as in Greek). The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name Jehovah identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes."
(Insight Volumes)

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002391

Our New World Translation places the divine name into any quotation from the Hebrew scriptures, where the tetragrammaton appeared. What possible argument could there be for NOT doing so? God did not remove his name from the scriptures...men did that without authorization.

The link explains why we retain the name in the NT....

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070205?q=divine+name+in&p=par

Simple, Christ came to fulfill the law and to abolish it. Christians are no longer under the OT law. It was for Jews only. Gentile Christians were not forced to keep the Mosaic Law.

Rom 10:4:
"For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

Col 2:13, 14:
"Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."

All "sons of God" are either direct creations or adopted into his spiritual family. The son of God was called "monogenes" but he was by no means the only "son of God". Like all other sons, he was "begotten"....needing a Father.

We are not Jews, but we worship the same God who was the God and Father of Jesus Christ. All of the first Christians were Jewish and like Jesus were "under law"...that is until Christ 'took it out of the way' by giving his life for us. Christianity was then offered to gentiles who were under no obligation to keep the law except what was stated in Acts 15:28, 29.

Not that gender matters...right?

And to you.

I see those passages, but none of them are uttered or attirubuted to be uttered by Jesus.

Jesus contradicts this. I am sure you know what I am talking about. He does not come and change every thing about salvation.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sorry to intrude here but this is ridiculous.

Not only is there no word in the Torah "Yahweh" but there is no word in Hebrew "hawah" and if there were, it wouldn't mean "he exists." Plus some other stuff.

What??????????????????????????

I see you are Jewish. There is no YHWH in the Torah? Alright then, I will burn in the sun and lick the himalayas.

Well, again you are Jewish. Thus, I cant tell you I know it because it will sound hypocritical. But what I can tell you is to refer to and defy

1. Ezra Zion Melamed
2. Strongs Concordance
3. Nas exhaustive concordance

Peace

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I see those passages, but none of them are uttered or attirubuted to be uttered by Jesus.

Jesus contradicts this. I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Just for clarity, can you elaborate on how Jesus contradicts this?

And do you have a problem with Paul's writings?

He does not come and change every thing about salvation.

Jesus didn't come to change anything that his Father originated....he came to correct what men had corrupted....his Father's worship, just as the prophets had done prior to him.
Why did Christianity separate from Judaism? Why did it need to?

God has had one purpose since the beginning and it included a plan of salvation. Can you tell me what you think it was?

What are we getting "saved" from?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Just for clarity, can you elaborate on how Jesus contradicts this?

And do you have a problem with Paul's writings?

Jesus didn't come to change anything that his Father originated....he came to correct what men had corrupted....his Father's worship, just as the prophets had done prior to him.
Why did Christianity separate from Judaism? Why did it need to?

God has had one purpose since the beginning and it included a plan of salvation. Can you tell me what you think it was?

What are we getting "saved" from?

Jesus says that he came to strengthen the law, not abolish it. Then how could "you" say that he came to abolish it?
When did God or Jesus say that the old law was for the Jews only?
There was no Christianity separation from Judaism. Jesus preached to the Jews. The Jews didnt convert to Christianity, they just followed Jesus. Jesus didnt name the religion, we named it ourselves.

When you ask from me what God;s plan of salvation is, I would say this

• Believe in one God.
  • There is no deity but God.
  • Nothing is divine, only God is. Not your ego, your children, wealth, health or love. If you understand this, your will be at peace. You will love things but not consider them divine enough to sin for them or kill for them.
  • Believe in all the prophets and not distinguish between one another
  • Do righteous deeds
  • Believe in scripture
  • Free slaves.
  • Spend on your kin, neighbour, wayfarer, and those in need
  • Treat all races, colours and sexes with respect and not mock them
  • Fight for justice, of yourself and of others
  • Live a peaceful and submissive life
  • But not bow down to aggression, while not being the aggressor.
Well, I could go on. This is the Quranic formula.

But what is your view of salvation?