• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The I Am

rrobs

Two of the mainstay verses Trinitarians use to support Jesus being God are in the Gospel of John and the book of Exodus. Rather than blindly accepting tradition, regardless of the age of that tradition, we need to investigate to see what the scriptures actually say about themselves. I believe that these two verses are in no way connected in such a way as to prove the trinity or that Jesus was God.

I will begin with the Gospel of John.

John 8:58,

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.​

Trinitarians say that Jesus was claiming to be God based on a verse in Exodus (3:14) where God supposedly claimed to be “I AM.” But that is a bad translation of the Hebrew texts which I will cover shortly. For now, let’s look at John to see what Jesus was saying.

The words “I am” are the Greek words “ego eimi.” They are correctly translated. Jesus did indeed say, “I am.” That phrase, ego eimi, is used 89 times in the NT. It is simply a way to identify oneself as somebody who did or was something. Who was he claiming to be? He was reminding them of the promise God made to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:15. He was saying he was that promised seed, the redeemer. Of course that promise was made some time before Abraham was born and that is what Jesus brought to the Pharisees’ attention. They were claiming that Abraham was their father and therefore was held in high esteem. Jesus told them that God had already planned the coming of Jesus, their savior, long before Abraham lived.

Next I'd like to look at Exodus.

Exod 3:14,

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.​

God was identifying himself by name in Exodus. It was but one of many others He used of Himself. Why did He use many different names to identify Himself?

Regarding names, Robert L. Reymond said in his book, A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith: 2nd Edition:

“To the Western mind very little (if any) significance is attached today to the meaning of a child's given name, the determining factors most often being the parents' personal preference or its phonetic compatibility with the family name. But this was not the case in the ancient Middle East. A given name often commemorated some great historical or religious event or denoted the parents' hope for or assessment of a child's character (see, e.g., Gen 4:1; 4:25; 5:29; 17:5; 15:1; 1 Sam. 25:25). In keeping with this last instance, that is, where a name reflects a person's character, God in his revelation in Scripture progressively selected titles and names reflecting aspects of his diving character.”

I believe the bold text speaks for itself. So what characteristic of Himself was God holding forth in Exodus?

“I am That I am” are the Hebrew words ehyeh asher ehyeh and they are better translated as “I Will Be What I Will Be.” While the NIV, the NLT, and the ESV use the phrase "I AM" in the text of Exodus, they all offer an alternate translation in a footnote similar to the following:

“I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE” as an alternate translation.​

The phrase “I am” in the last part of Exodus 3:14 is the Hebrew word ehyeh, which means “I will become” as the same Hebrew word means in the first part of the verse.

A much better translations is found in Rotherhams’ Emphasized Bible.

Exod 3:14,

And God said unto Moses, I Will Become whatsoever I please. And he said––Thus, shalt thou say to the sons of Israel, I Will Become hath sent me unto you.​

God was simply describing His character as including the ability to do whatever needed to be done to free Israel from Egyptian Slavery. He was assuring Moses that nothing was beyond His ability to fulfill His promise. God was telling Israel He would do whatever needed to be done to accomplish the mission of freeing them from slavery in Egypt. Whatever it would take to get them safely through the wilderness into the land of milk and honey, He would do. They need not fear that God would somehow get stuck and be unable to get them out of whatever situation they might encounter along the way. Indeed, it would have been a most precarious journey, fraught with troubles at every turn. They needed reassurance that God could get them through and that is exactly what God was giving them.

In John 8:58 Jesus simply identified himself as the promised redeemer of Genesis 3:15, which promise God certainly made before Abraham existed. Jesus did not say anything about becoming whatever he needed to become as God declared about Himself in Exodus 3:14. Therefore, there is no connection at all between these two verses. Jesus was not identifying himself as God. Indeed, he consistently identified himself as the son of God. He is called the “son of God” 47 times in the scriptures. The words “God the Son” do not appear anywhere in the scriptures.

Axe Elf

Prophet
"I am that I am." --God
"I yam what I yam." --Popeye

COINCIDENCE???

Be ye filled with the Holy Spinach...

David T

Premium Member
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am"

Science has emperically shown before abraham was we were. And so he is stating something thats fact...... Whats the pro
blem? Oh the intellect never mind.... The intellect is extremely stupid.

rrobs

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am"

Science has emperically shown before abraham was we were. And so he is stating something thats fact...... Whats the problem? Oh the intellect never mind.... The intellect is extremely stupid.
I didn't say there is a problem. You'd have to understand the overall context of the redemption story as it is related in the scriptures for the OP to make sense.

David T

Premium Member
I didn't say there is a problem. You'd have to understand the overall context of the redemption story as it is related in the scriptures for the OP to make sense.
I have an actual degree in theology. 1983 seattle pacific university. A free methodist school.

The ancients wrote a story about the topic god. An obscure story that talks about how difdicult the topic god actually is mayne you have heard it

They write the topic of of is so difficult, that god himself could come in the form of man, walk on water, raise people from the dead, feed thousands with one loaf of bread. He could gather close followers who walked with him daily. And yet when it came to them understanding his words they abandoned him in fear and confusion and only when a lesser than his chosen 12 a female, came to them and proclaimed "he has risen," did they understand.

So you who have read the story, but never actually walked the story in real time like his closet understands the "redemption story" how exactly? you read it somewhere and got warm fuzzy feeling over it?

rrobs

I have an actual degree in theology. 1983 seattle pacific university. A free methodist school.

The ancients wrote a story about the topic god. An obscure story that talks about how difdicult the topic god actually is mayne you have heard it

They write the topic of of is so difficult, that god himself could come in the form of man, walk on water, raise people from the dead, feed thousands with one loaf of bread. He could gather close followers who walked with him daily. And yet when it came to them understanding his words they abandoned him in fear and confusion and only when a lesser than his chosen 12 a female, came to them and proclaimed "he has risen," did they understand.

So you who have read the story, but never actually walked the story in real time like his closet understands the "redemption story" how exactly? you read it somewhere and got warm fuzzy feeling over it?
I'm not sure how you could know anything at all about my walk, but I'll let that slide.

As to how I understand the redemption story, I offer the following:

I use the scriptures as my sole source of truth, not theological school. The apostle Paul wasn't that impressed with the great schools of theology either. As a matter of fact, he called everything he learned from them dung. He, like myself, preferred the knowledge that comes straight from Christ as revealed in the scriptures.

Now I understand that the great schools of theology don't place much credence in the scriptures, so the following may not impress you, but I'm just showing you how I see things.

Phil 3:4-8,

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, [of] the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ,​

David T

Premium Member
"I use the scriptures as my sole source of truth"

I go to the source of your scriptures its much much older and wiser it determines your book your interpretation of your book does not determine it ever..... Even jesus understood this. might try it sometime since he aint following a book. Heaven Forbid if you didnt have a book and books about books, about books ad infintium to tell you what truth actually is. You might actually have to listen to the source of all books, nature itself. Listening to nature is hard we love to make noise.
IMG_20181125_092608.jpg

rrobs

"I use the scriptures as my sole source of truth"

I go to the source of your scriptures its much much older and wiser it determines your book your interpretation of your book does not determine it ever..... Even jesus understood this. might try it sometime since he aint following a book. Heaven Forbid if you didnt have a book and books about books, about books ad infintium to tell you what truth actually is. You might actually have to listen to the source of all books, nature itself. Listening to nature is hard we love to make noise. View attachment 26003
While I appreciate you have a different view than myself, we are nonetheless getting a bit off topic. I think there are plenty of other posts that deal with the ultimate source of truth.

I have found it pretty much useless to convince people one way or the other, so I usually avoid that topic. I've been accused of burying my head in the sand, of blind faith, or following fairy tales, etc. That's fine. I stand approved before God, not men.

2Tim 2:15,

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
So, do you anything to say about the "I AM" of Exodus?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Science has emperically shown before abraham was we were. And so he is stating something thats fact.....

What Jesus was teaching is that Jesus had a pre-human existence in Heaven before God sent Jesus to Earth.
In other words, Jesus was alive in the heavens even before Adam was created yet alone Abraham.
Adam was formed from the dust of the ground. Adam did Not come to life before God breathed the breath of life into life-less Adam. Only at that point did Adam become a living soul or person.
So, to me all science can say is the 'original dust' which God used to fashion Adam was in existence.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
What Jesus was teaching is that Jesus had a per-human existence in Heaven before God sent Jesus to Earth.
In other words, Jesus was alive in the heavens even before Adam was created yet alone Abraham.
Adam was formed from the dust of the ground. Adam did Not come to life before God breathed the breath of life into life-less Adam. Only at that point did Adam become a living soul or person.
So, to me all science can say is the 'original dust' which God used to fashion Adam was in existence.
"What Jesus was teaching"

THATS AMAZING! his closest followers who were with him daily for 4 years had zero idea what he was teaching. Read acts again.

How is it possible that they had zero idea and you understand him? Based on what exactly? Every word you said i know already as if you are explaining something to me like i dont know the mantra. I have an actual degree in theology i know the mantra upside down and backwards. Matras are Mantras and not reality no matter how many phds were involved over a long period of time. Why is this? Because nature is not determined by science or religion it determines both.

John muir said " i would rather be in the mountains conteplating god than in church contemplating the mountains" thats healthy. This mumbo jumbo, we really understand jesus from church is pure nonsense. Love jesus? Indeed the church does and thats a very good thing. Understand jesus? Hahaha no. How can it! It starts with its own book and thats circular reasoning. You cant write a book and then it take on objective reality unto itself. Thats crazy.

David T

Premium Member
While I appreciate you have a different view than myself, we are nonetheless getting a bit off topic. I think there are plenty of other posts that deal with the ultimate source of truth.

I have found it pretty much useless to convince people one way or the other, so I usually avoid that topic. I've been accused of burying my head in the sand, of blind faith, or following fairy tales, etc. That's fine. I stand approved before God, not men.

2Tim 2:15,

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
So, do you anything to say about the "I AM" of Exodus?
You wrote the book and over multuple generations it became objective reality unto itself. Thats crazy.

When i say you wrote the book what exactly do i mean? Interestingly the sense of one rapidly breaks down rapidily In christianity and here in this culture its all about the individual. So society, culture, modernity radically impacts how texts themselves are related to and how they are interpreted. You seem to "BELIEVE" that believe is some divine right. Nonsense.. Am i an atheist? Absolutely not. Arheism is even more absurd.

Who is atheists world expert on the topic god? YOU!!!! Ironically what they understand about god in their total knowledge about the topic , is totally rejected by them as nonsense emperically.
They say what they understand is rubbish.

I, on that point totally agree, atheisms knowlege on the topic is rubbish. Relying on church as their experts is like relying on astrologers as their cosmologists. Really, astrology, we believe, we dont believe, we are agnostic!?!! All three are not relevant.

rrobs

You wrote the book and over multuple generations it became objective reality unto itself. Thats crazy.

When i say you wrote the book what exactly do i mean? Interestingly the sense of one rapidly breaks down rapidily In christianity and here in this culture its all about the individual. So society, culture, modernity radically impacts how texts themselves are related to and how they are interpreted. You seem to "BELIEVE" that believe is some divine right. Nonsense.. Am i an atheist? Absolutely not. Arheism is even more absurd.

Who is atheists world expert on the topic god? YOU!!!! Ironically what they understand about god in their total knowledge about the topic , is totally rejected by them as nonsense emperically.
They say what they understand is rubbish.

I, on that point totally agree, atheisms knowlege on the topic is rubbish. Relying on church as their experts is like relying on astrologers as their cosmologists. Really, astrology, we believe, we dont believe, we are agnostic!?!! All three are not relevant.
I think you've stated your case quite well.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Science has emperically shown before abraham was we were. And so he is stating something thats fact...... Whats the pro

I agree that before Abraham the pre-human heavenly Jesus existed, existed in the heavenly realm.
In other words, God's beginning creation (Revelation 3:14 B) was the pre-human heavenly Jesus.
Thus, all things come through pre-human Jesus.
God was ' before ' heavenly Jesus as per Psalms 90:2 being from everlasting to everlasting (No beginning, No end )
Whereas, pre-human Jesus was ' in ' the beginning, but he was Not ' before ' the beginning as his God was 'before' the beginning. - Revelation 4:11.