• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hillary Thread

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
More often than not, I tend to vote for "the lesser of the evils", so at this point I would vote for Hillary over any of the Pubs that are or seem to be running, but I really much prefer Sanders over Hillary.

Marisa

Its still a bit early, but any Libs for Hillary? Any other candidates ?
Bernie Sanders has announced. Lincoln Chafee is considering a run. I'm waiting eagerly to see who else jumps into the race. None of the announced from the GOP will get my vote, I would vote for Bernie and I might for Chafee (need to see the rest of his platform, he might just be Hillary minus the baggage) but I most likely will find my home within a third party. Generally, Green.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Bernie Sanders has announced. Lincoln Chafee is considering a run. I'm waiting eagerly to see who else jumps into the race. None of the announced from the GOP will get my vote, I would vote for Bernie and I might for Chafee (need to see the rest of his platform, he might just be Hillary minus the baggage) but I most likely will find my home within a third party. Generally, Green.

Anyone in the works in the Green Party? Jill Stein?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I might have to look Green too....but I hate to....its a thrown out vote !

Marisa

I might have to look Green too....but I hate to....its a thrown out vote !
If Bernie Sander takes the DNC nomination, that could pull progressives back into the party (people like me who see the only difference between Hillary and any GOP nominee as being social issues, with the possible exception of Paul in which case it's social issues and foreign policy; but in my opinion Hillary's economic policies are lockstep with the GOP although they may quibble on tax rates). If that happens, it could be another landslide election for the DNC.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
The only way Sanders takes the DNC is if Hill drops out. Why aren't there any young, unknown Dems running to get exposure ?

Anyone running Green guarantees they will not get more than 1%.

Last edited:

Marisa

The only way Sanders takes the DNC is if Hill drops out. Why are there any young, unknown Dems running to get exposure ?
Well, it's still early. Did you know that in some countries election cycles end????? Not this perpetual state of campaigning that we have here in good ole 'Murica. :D I know a lot of people are saying that Hillary is a shoe in, that she can't be beat. But I also know that people like Elizabeth Warren have caused political ****storms that are shaking the DNC way down at its core. So I remain unconvinced that change cannot occur. It could just be pie-eyed delusion, but I'm content to wait and see what happens.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Hilary doesn't seem to have the conviction to earn my vote, personally. I'd vote for Sanders based on what i know of him however, he has the conviction and is actually grounded in reality unlike Hilary who will just play into the almighty dollar that is our messed up lobbying/campaign donation system. it's sad that we basically have legalized bribing/corruption, Sanders wants to actually fight that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If Bernie Sander takes the DNC nomination, that could pull progressives back into the party (people like me who see the only difference between Hillary and any GOP nominee as being social issues, with the possible exception of Paul in which case it's social issues and foreign policy; but in my opinion Hillary's economic policies are lockstep with the GOP although they may quibble on tax rates).
Nonsense. Do you think they agree on the minimum wage, on gun control, on Cuba, on the Iran deal?

This, by the way, is worth reviewing.

metis

A reminder that smart voting is often a matter of voting for the lesser of evils. Also, it's better we not not view politics as a popularity contest, although unfortunately we all too often do. Vote more for the party as it is mostly they who establish the programs. However, with that being said, we shouldn't vote for someone who is corrupt or inept.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A reminder that smart voting is often a matter of voting for the lesser of evils.
^This. Those who blather that "they are all the same" and pretentiously rail against voting for the lesser of two evils are typically those immune from the very real effects of enabling the greater of two evils. It's a thoughtless argument from privilege.

metis

For me, it's Sanders or O'Malley in the Primaries - I'll just vote for whoever the democratic winner is in the General.
I'm with you on this.

I've never been a Clinton fan, so I hope Bernie beats out Hillary. However, against the Republican clown car, I would most likely have to vote for her if she gets the nomination.

jonathan180iq

I'm with you on this.

I've never been a Clinton fan, so I hope Bernie beats out Hillary. However, against the Republican clown car, I would most likely have to vote for her if she gets the nomination.
Yup. It's just how our system works, unfortunately. For better or worse, you have to play the game.

Marisa

A reminder that smart voting is often a matter of voting for the lesser of evils. Also, it's better we not not view politics as a popularity contest, although unfortunately we all too often do. Vote more for the party as it is mostly they who establish the programs. However, with that being said, we shouldn't vote for someone who is corrupt or inept.
I don't vote the lesser of two evils. I vote for the candidate who best represents my concerns. This is the first time in some time that the candidate best representing my concerns stands a snowball's chance in hell of gaining the DNC nomination. Generally, I can be found in a third party.

metis

I don't vote the lesser of two evils. I vote for the candidate who best represents my concerns. This is the first time in some time that the candidate best representing my concerns stands a snowball's chance in hell of gaining the DNC nomination. Generally, I can be found in a third party.
Yes, I can appreciate why you take this approach, even though it's different than mine. I have voted third party but rarely do I do that.