• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greatest Mistake Atheists Make

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Okay... so what "daily happenings before your eyes" tell you that God exists?

The truthful Word revealed from the one true attributive creator God says:

[2:29] How can you disbelieve in Allah? When you were without life, He gave you life, and then He will cause you to die, then restore you to life, and then to Him shall you be made to return.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

I see people dying and new babies being born; this way the life cycle goes on incessantly; nobody could stop it.

Hence the one true attributive creator God exists, in my opinion.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

[2:29] How can you disbelieve in Allah? When you were without life, He gave you life, and then He will cause you to die, then restore you to life, and then to Him shall you be made to return.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

I see people dying and new babies being born; this way the life cycle goes on incessantly; nobody could stop it.

Therefore, logically, Von Neumann is god.

gnostic

The Lost One
cynthiacypher said:
Take this old chestnut for example: The Problem of Evil

Some atheist like argue that just because evil exist this world, that must mean that God does not exist, we see it over and over again these forum.

I personally would this type of an argument...but then again, I'm not atheist. But as an agnostic, and that the question of existence is essentially unknowable, I'm also empirical, and would like some real evidences before I make any final judgment. And I do find it very dubious that god exist since we have no evidences.

But judging by the books in the bible, i would argue that god is as much the source of evil, as he is the source of good. God is shown in negative light in some of the biblical stories. That if we can literally believe in the stories, that is.

Looncall

Remember, only muslims ascribe any authority at all to the quran. It is inane to quote from it when conversing with non-muslims.

In any case, your statements in this message look like a massive non-sequitur to me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Probably because of mouthy militant 'new atheists' equating evolution = no God...

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I myself hear more American theists equate evolution = no god than I hear American atheists equate evolution = no god.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I myself hear more American theists equate evolution = no god than I hear American atheists equate evolution = no god.
That's actually the exact opposite of my experiences; I see it used far, far more by militant new atheists.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's actually the exact opposite of my experiences; I see it used far, far more by militant new atheists.

My guess it's because we live in different countries. Yours seems to have fewer fundamentalists telling everyone that evolution is incompatible with god.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My guess it's because we live in different countries. Yours seems to have fewer fundamentalists telling everyone that evolution is incompatible with god.
Our fundies say the same thing, only most of them don't believe in God. :D

Think like Dawkins and his lackeys; those kind of things. I imagine you'd have them across the Pond as well. I mean, most of the vocal anti-theists I've encountered online have been American after all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Our fundies say the same thing, only most of them don't believe in God. :D

Think like Dawkins and his lackeys; those kind of things. I imagine you'd have them across the Pond as well. I mean, most of the vocal anti-theists I've encountered online have been American after all.

To be honest, Odion, I haven't heard Dawkins say that evolution disproves god. I've heard him say that evolution explains the diversity of life and that the diversity of life would otherwise be the most powerful argument for a creator god. But I haven't heard that evolution disproves god from Dawkins. Then again, I'm no Dawkins scholar. So do you have a quote from Dawkins where he says evolution disproves god?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
To be honest, Odion, I haven't heard Dawkins say that evolution disproves god. I've heard him say that evolution explains the diversity of life and that the diversity of life would otherwise be the most powerful argument for a creator god. But I haven't heard that evolution disproves god from Dawkins. Then again, I'm no Dawkins scholar. So do you have a quote from Dawkins where he says evolution disproves god?
Well, that Dawkins uses evolution to deny the existence of God (but instead, that people like him do), but there is something similar, I think, in one of his books:

"After arguing that evolution is capable of explaining the origin of complexity, near the end of the book Dawkins uses this to argue against the existence of God: "a deity capable of engineering all the organized complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution ... must already have been vastly complex in the first place ..." He calls this "postulating organized complexity without offering an explanation.""

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, that Dawkins uses evolution to deny the existence of God (but instead, that people like him do), but there is something similar, I think, in one of his books:
"After arguing that evolution is capable of explaining the origin of complexity, near the end of the book Dawkins uses this to argue against the existence of God: "a deity capable of engineering all the organized complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution ... must already have been vastly complex in the first place ..." He calls this "postulating organized complexity without offering an explanation.""

Maybe I'm just being dense, but that still does not amount in my book to an actual argument that evolution disproves god. What am I missing?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Maybe I'm just being dense, but that still does not amount in my book to an actual argument that evolution disproves god. What am I missing?
Yeah, it is weak. If I'm reading the article correctly, it looks something like:

Evolution exists
Evolution explains complexity
There's no need for a God because it'd be a complex organism
That's making something complex without a reason
So there is no God

?:shrug:?

Something like that, I guess...?

Music

Dawkins points out that if organisms (or even parts of it, like the eye) are so highly complex that only an intelligent being could have made them, then the so-called creator must be so frighteningly complex that another super intelligent being must have made him. And so forth. Infinite regress.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Yeah, it is weak. If I'm reading the article correctly, it looks something like:

Evolution exists
Evolution explains complexity
There's no need for a God because it'd be a complex organism
That's making something complex without a reason
So there is no God

?:shrug:?

Something like that, I guess...?
That's just Occam's Razor, though. Basically, "Because evolution pulls the carpet out from under the only apparent support for God, there's no reason to think he exists."

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I think it is real and current.Why one thinks that it is not real and current?
Well, I was being a bit facetious with you, but what I mean is... the book you are speaking of has been around for a while. What individual events, in current time, lead you to believe it? Just saying a book shows something that is true isn't a very specific answer. Be more specific!